Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stux
Nov 17, 2006

something something stephen eclop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
what is real anymore

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i dont "get" bronies. how is that even an unironic thng?

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Sudo Echo posted:

flatten and reinstall, stop posting

how will reinstalling an operating system I can't even boot to help? I can't even initialize hardware before the BIOS screen. you think a reformat will help in a situation where I can't even get text on the screen with no drives attached at all?

PleasureKevin fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Feb 22, 2016

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

PleasureKevin posted:

so here's the problems that i've had simply trying to switch hard drives:

1. the cloning software that shipped with the device does not work at all. tried it twice and it gave an error about 3 hours in each time. tried to fix by running a defrag and turning off the page file as recommended by the help files, but no joy.

2. trying to boot into a CloneZilla Live CD did not work, instead it loaded some GRUB command-prompt with no apparent way to boot into the live CD app itself. no this was not a GRUb select screen. there is a bug i found from 2013 about this and the solution was to use the "alternate" ISO to burn the Live CD which is Ubuntu based rather than Debian based.

3. a third app also failed because it was unable to even detect the target disk, whether installed via USB adapter or internal SATA.

4. tried cloning with other software and that did not work. one partition was not copied over for some unknown reason when clicking "copy selected partitions" in Reflect app. even when free space was available, it said "insufficient space". the partition was successfully copied only when i used drag-and-drop on the partition instead of the button that did the same thing.

5. I wasn't able to boot from a USB and just install windows fresh, perhaps because MicroSDs in MicroSD-to-USB adapters are not DOS-bootable?

6. my entire computer is permanently hosed. i can't just boot my computer anymore. 9/10 it just stalls before the hardware is even initialized and i perform weird voodoo to try increase the odds. currently the best strategy is to swap the RAM sticks or take one out completely which makes it boot up 1/2 the time, but that's after waiting 5 to 10 minutes. i wanted my computer to boot faster but this is entirely negated now by this weird waiting game/ritual process where i can spend 20 - 30 minutes just waiting and crossing my fingers or tinkering to get it to boot.

7. all games crash now on startup. yes, even after all this. after finally succesfulling cloning the drive and getting the drat thing to boot, i CANNOT PLAY A THING BECAUSE EVERY GAME CRASHES. in some cases the whole PC crashes and i have to do the stuff described in problem 6 again. i don't know why Chrome doesn't crash. wtf.

8. windows now thinks it's Windows to GO (live USB version of windows 10). every time i boot it says "don't remove the USB", but i have no USB inserted. it started doing this half way through the process when I was till on the HDD.

who gives a heck

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
hosed upo that microsoft is forcing you to switch the ram sticks around to let you use your computer

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
maybe you should have tried the official clonezilla livecd instead of the microsoft-branded knockoff

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

anthonypants posted:

maybe you should have tried the official clonezilla livecd instead of the microsoft-branded knockoff

what? i used the regular clonezilla live CD which is debian-based. then i found out i should have used the "alternate" version which is ubuntu based. as far as i know there is no microsoft version...

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

PleasureKevin posted:

what? i used the regular clonezilla live CD which is debian-based. then i found out i should have used the "alternate" version which is ubuntu based. as far as i know there is no microsoft version...
then why are you in the microsoft thread complaining about your disability

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

anthonypants posted:

then why are you in the microsoft thread complaining about your disability

why are you a hosed up apologist for a terrible platform that sucks balls

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

PleasureKevin posted:

why are you a hosed up apologist for a terrible platform that sucks balls
worksforme wontfix

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

PleasureKevin posted:

1. the cloning software that shipped with the device does not work at all. tried it twice and it gave an error about 3 hours in each time. tried to fix by running a defrag and turning off the page file as recommended by the help files, but no joy.

2. trying to boot into a CloneZilla Live CD did not work, instead it loaded some GRUB command-prompt with no apparent way to boot into the live CD app itself. no this was not a GRUb select screen. there is a bug i found from 2013 about this and the solution was to use the "alternate" ISO to burn the Live CD which is Ubuntu based rather than Debian based.

3. a third app also failed because it was unable to even detect the target disk, whether installed via USB adapter or internal SATA.

4. tried cloning with other software and that did not work. one partition was not copied over for some unknown reason when clicking "copy selected partitions" in Reflect app. even when free space was available, it said "insufficient space". the partition was successfully copied only when i used drag-and-drop on the partition instead of the button that did the same thing.

5. I wasn't able to boot from a USB and just install windows fresh, perhaps because MicroSDs in MicroSD-to-USB adapters are not DOS-bootable?

6. my entire computer is permanently hosed. i can't just boot my computer anymore. 9/10 it just stalls before the hardware is even initialized and i perform weird voodoo to try increase the odds. currently the best strategy is to swap the RAM sticks or take one out completely which makes it boot up 1/2 the time, but that's after waiting 5 to 10 minutes. i wanted my computer to boot faster but this is entirely negated now by this weird waiting game/ritual process where i can spend 20 - 30 minutes just waiting and crossing my fingers or tinkering to get it to boot.

7. all games crash now on startup. yes, even after all this. after finally succesfulling cloning the drive and getting the drat thing to boot, i CANNOT PLAY A THING BECAUSE EVERY GAME CRASHES. in some cases the whole PC crashes and i have to do the stuff described in problem 6 again. i don't know why Chrome doesn't crash. wtf.

8. windows now thinks it's Windows to GO (live USB version of windows 10). every time i boot it says "don't remove the USB", but i have no USB inserted. it started doing this half way through the process when I was till on the HDD.

say what you want about "it's not microsoft's fault" (lol) but this is likely several different failures, some of which the fault of the SSD manufacturer, some of which the fault of the white label software used in the shipped cloning software, some the fault of the copper supplier of the motherboard. but i don't buy it that when i use a PC i have to enter a "reality distortion field" where no one can be held responsible for poo poo hitting the fan but the consumer who spend their money and time doing everything the instructions said.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

PleasureKevin posted:

say what you want about "it's not microsoft's fault" (lol) but this is likely several different failures, some of which the fault of the SSD manufacturer, some of which the fault of the white label software used in the shipped cloning software, some the fault of the copper supplier of the motherboard. but i don't buy it that when i use a PC i have to enter a "reality distortion field" where no one can be held responsible for poo poo hitting the fan but the consumer who spend their money and time doing everything the instructions said.

lol if you read a single word of this poo poo

pram
Jun 10, 2001

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Sudo Echo posted:

how does that fix an issue with the hard ware not even initializing

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

PleasureKevin posted:

how does that fix an issue with the hard ware not even initializing

i think ur just trolling us at this point

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Sudo Echo posted:

what is it about bronies that makes them so viscerally repulsive. i have trouble putting it into words.

Sexualizing things created for children.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
I've never had cloning a hard drive work correctly

always back up documents and reinstall from scratch

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Phoenixan posted:

do you also have trouble burning isos to usb sticks

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
Rufus. use it. love it.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Phoenixan posted:

use macrium reflect. its easy and works great

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

ive managed to do it a bunch of times with the windows 7 backup utility

med school head
Apr 17, 2012
paragon works great as well

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Shaggar posted:

will take a look at this next time. thanks

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Another vote for Macrium Reflect, great product.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

great news everyone, i will be switching from the alienware X51 to the new Dune case since it's actually smaller than the X51 and looks like a Mac Pro :)

here are the volumes of each

Dune case: 9,439,307 mm cubed

Alienware: 10,362,030 mm cubed

Mac Pro: 5,497,896 mm cubed

sadly it is still nowhere near the size of the Mac Pro and only has 1 video card slot where the Mac Pro has 2. this confirms my sentiment that there needs to be another mobo standard that has a really long, narrow shape and possibly no built-in ports panel.

i'm sure you're all very relieved i won't own an alienware any more! thank you for your support!

Shaggar posted:

Fame Douglas posted:

Another vote for Macrium Reflect, great product.

that was the second one a tried, and as noted it didn't work unless i used drag and drop instead of the button method, lol. also had to manually resize one partition. eventually it worked, though but that seems to be a bug.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
idk man. sounds like maybe you have a hardware problem. macrium works great

pram
Jun 10, 2001

PleasureKevin posted:

great news everyone, i will be switching from the alienware X51 to the new Dune case since it's actually smaller than the X51 and looks like a Mac Pro :)

sadly it is still nowhere near the size of the Mac Pro and only has 1 video card slot where the Mac Pro has 2. this confirms my sentiment that there needs to be another mobo standard that has a really long, narrow shape and possibly no built-in ports panel.

i'm sure you're all very relieved i won't own an alienware any more! thank you for your support!

that was the second one a tried, and as noted it didn't work unless i used drag and drop instead of the button method, lol. also had to manually resize one partition. eventually it worked, though but that seems to be a bug.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Shaggar posted:

idk man. sounds like maybe you have a hardware problem. macrium works great

if i can prove there's a bug will you delete your account?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

the dam can't handle the pressure. it's about to blow!

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

PleasureKevin posted:

lmao yeah im sure this kickstarter project will result in an actual tangible object

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Beeftweeter posted:

lmao yeah im sure this kickstarter project will result in an actual tangible object

why not? ripping off apple is a proven business model.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

PleasureKevin posted:

why not? ripping off apple is a proven business model.

not a successful one

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

not a successful one

but boy do they ship in high volume

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

if ur using the same logic as an android user to justify a purchase ur in trouble bud

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
see: emachines and the death

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

• Locked thread