Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Evilreaver posted:

One thing that really salts my potatoes is game series [particularly those that cover hundreds of years] that don't change over time. The Elder Scrolls and Fallout games are the worst for this, it's some 100+ years between Scrolls and ~50 per Fallout, but there's no technological or societal advancement of any kind. Fallout 4 has people living in the exact same conditions as the citizens of Junktown/Hub in Fallout 1. Which scores a double-annoyance since Shady Sands, The NCR and Vault 8 are all more well-established than anything in FO3, NV or FO4.

I keep hoping the next Elder Scrolls game will have babby's first gunpowder weapons, or anything at all, but no :( At least on the 'societal' side they had a movement to reduce the god-count from 9 to 8, that's something.

Except that Arena through Oblivion literally take place over one man's reign as king. Uriel Septim was king from before the beginning of Arena all the way through the beginning of Oblivion.

Skyrim is 200 years after Oblivion so there's less excuse there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

kazil posted:

Unsurprisingly, the crafting in FO4 is really bad too.

As most things Bethesda, it's a mechanic with limitless potential that they used to do jack poo poo.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

RyokoTK posted:

Crafting is a scourge on video games and I long for the day that people realize how loving stupid it is.

Counterpoint: Making the blackrock sword in Ultima 7 owned. I stole a wizard's captured demon outta his magic mirror and stuck him in the gem in a pommel of a sword and he cursed my breath with every enemy I forced him to cleave through.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Xoidanor posted:

As most things Bethesda, it's a mechanic with limitless potential that they used to do jack poo poo.

When you just have things that are upgrades of previous things with one clearly being best in slot. The game would've needed a lot more upgrade options with lots of them being sidegrades that make weapons that suit a specific niche or playstyle without being superior for everything. And don't even get me started on the settlements. Odds are someone will mod those things to be good but I'm just loving tired of paying for a framework that I have to put mine or other people's work into to actually make one good game. Modding can be a good thing but Bethesda is using it as a crutch more and more because they can't even be bothered to fully implement features or even a good UI.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Weapon variety was gutted in FO4 compared to NV thanks to spending so much time developing a pile of different receivers for the same dumb zip tied pipe gun.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Arrath posted:

Weapon variety was gutted in FO4 compared to NV thanks to spending so much time developing a pile of different receivers for the same dumb zip tied pipe gun.

New Vegas was also a sequel that was able to recycle the guns from its predecessor. Plus most of the new guns in NV were real-world guns so there was way less actual design work to do.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Sleeveless posted:

Plus most of the new guns in NV were real-world guns so there was way less actual design work to do.

This part doesn't really seem like an excuse to me, rather the opposite.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Sleeveless posted:

New Vegas was also a sequel that was able to recycle the guns from its predecessor. Plus most of the new guns in NV were real-world guns so there was way less actual design work to do.

I get why there are fewer guns, it's still a thing dragging the game down for me.

I also think it was a little much to allow you to change pistols to rifles and back, I think it would have been better for the two to be separate, then you could put stubby stocks and auto receivers onto pistols to turn them into smgs, cut down rifle stocks to make carbines, that kinda thing. As it is you find one dinky pistol and a few minutes with a blow-torch and some duct tape, heyo presto I've got an overpowered sniper rifle.

Stelio Kontos
Feb 12, 2014
Unravel for the xbone is beautiful and cute and pretty fun but something is detracting a little bit from its full potential. The controls. They seem a little overly complicated and spread out across the controller when honestly, the face buttons would have done just fine without bringing in the triggers for certain actions. Maybe it's just me and maybe I need more time with it but I find myself forgetting what button does what and missing lots of easy jumps and puzzle solutions.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

RyokoTK posted:

Crafting is a scourge on video games and I long for the day that people realize how loving stupid it is.

I agree. There are some cases where it works but in most rpgs/open world games/shooters/whatever it feels like it was just added in to put a bullet point on a features list and cash in the popularity of, I dunno, Minecraft I guess.

Gabriel Pope posted:

The PSP Tactics Ogre remake almost made crafting kind of interesting and somewhat balanced. Crafting existed mostly to upgrade equipment, but there was only a single level of upgrade so you couldn't just keep building up your equipment indefinitely, and upgrades usually had some form of unique ability or bonus. Resources were scarce enough that had to pick and choose what got upgraded, and being a JRPG you got new equipment all the time, so you'd frequently be faced with a decision between shiny new equipment that you couldn't afford to upgrade vs. old equipment that had the upgrade bonuses and real trade-offs between the two.

Of course, the experienced was ruined by having the most tedious godawful crafting interface ever in what I can only assume was a deliberate gently caress YOU to the player.

That's my go to example of crafting in a game that absolutely didn't need it. Resources were rare until you realized that 95% of them were producible from a few items you could buy cheaply from any vendor. So the amount of equipment you could craft was mainly limited by a) your tolerance for grinding out materials in the terrible crafting interface or b) your tolerance for getting the incredibly badly implemented recipe drops.

The Moon Monster has a new favorite as of 22:44 on Feb 22, 2016

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Xenoblade Chronicles X

loving christ, guys, the text could stand to be a little smaller. I can still read some of it without having to be five inches from the screen.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

From a few pages back complaining about PoE, I just got that bug, where a group of corpses with a quest item on them is un-lootable. In the original area. The main town, even. The expansion broke loot item quests for the main game. Crazy.

e: Maybe the patch just now fixed it, I can pick up the key, but entering a building and it's been loading this one room house for ten minutes now. I hope all my saves aren't hosed forever! Dang!

Krinkle has a new favorite as of 23:48 on Feb 22, 2016

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Arrath posted:

The whole gun modding thing was really stupidly implemented, especially since some of the mods were clearly superior to some of the other ones. And they were directly tied/locked behind your stats which you kinda had to grind thorough get to while preventing you from leveling up other poo poo.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Digirat posted:

Metal golems are definitely a thing dragging the game down. They can't be damaged directly, so you have to run around and destroy these medals that float around the arena to hurt it. Meanwhile the metal golem is chasing after you and shooting lasers. This would be a great idea for a fight and it feels epic if you're one of the classes that can actually kill it, except this is dragon's dogma so they had to ruin it with a combination of three things: 1) you have to destroy every medal to kill it, 2) the amulets are immune to everything except physical damage, 3) in both metal golem fights, one of the medals is just floating 20 meters in the air because gently caress you.

Pawns are utterly worthless at destroying the medals themselves, which basically means that you have to be playing one of 3 classes yourself to be able to kill the metal golem. If you're playing a fighter or warrior, get hosed because of the floating medals (fighter and warrior are melee only). If you're playing a magick archer, mystic knight, mage or sorcerer, get hosed because almost all your ranged attacks do non-physical damage. Luckily there are only 2 metal golems in the game and they are optional.

Two neat tricks for sorcerer's fighting metal golems. Exequey works and oneshots them if you have the stamina for it or a lot of consumables. You can also cast maelstrom and it sucks the medals in and damages them, any that survive can be punched to death.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Thats good to know, I wanted to finally give mage and sorcerer another chance on my next character and forgot that maelstrom pulls things in. Also I want to try using exequy on the metal golem before it actually wakes up because :laffo: if that works.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Digirat posted:

Thats good to know, I wanted to finally give mage and sorcerer another chance on my next character and forgot that maelstrom pulls things in. Also I want to try using exequy on the metal golem before it actually wakes up because :laffo: if that works.

I don't think you can target them before they wake up :shrug: but I might be wrong. But yeah, maelstrom also does partial physical damage so it can be used to break the medals.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Max posted:

Re: Bioware like games where you carve out a story for your character. I always choose the evil path if a game lets me. Sometimes its because it feels like the creator doesn't want me to and I want to fly in their face, or just because it usually leads to more interesting stories. KOTOR 1 did a really good job of allowing you to be either good or evil, and significantly changed the story based on what you chose. It feels like games have become a lot more liner since then though, and I felt it the most recently when playing Fallout 4. There was no real chance to be a complete monster in that game (I know, what a complaint) until the very end of the game. But because it was the end and my character hadn't had a chance to be evil, it didn't feel earned at that point. Now those choices just feel like they color the way the single story is told, but don't allow for massive branches.

You haven't had the chance to be evil? It's a Bethesda game, the default character alignment is Chaotic Evil, with nearly every player loving with or murdering or stealing from NPCs at some point. Also your typical video game evil path is not an interesting stories. Tragic villains and fallen heroes and people who gently caress things up entirely on accident are interesting. The typical evil path for a video game character is Eric Cartman, who is not interesting.

razorrozar posted:

Except that Arena through Oblivion literally take place over one man's reign as king. Uriel Septim was king from before the beginning of Arena all the way through the beginning of Oblivion.

Skyrim is 200 years after Oblivion so there's less excuse there.

Skyrim is after the empire collapsed in a series of horrible civil wars into a rump Cyrodiil desperately grasping for whatever possessions it can hold onto while surrounded by states who all hate each other so it's not like there hasn't been change between Oblivion and Skyrim. As for technology--dude, it's high fantasy. Nobody's going to invent the Maxim gun, that's just something you have to accept when you play a game with swords and dragons in it.

Fallout 3's world is completely inexcusable though.

Woolie Wool has a new favorite as of 00:59 on Feb 23, 2016

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Getting mad at High Fantasy for not having guns and poo poo is like getting mad at the ocean for being salty. That's the genre, dude. I agree that a post-gunpowder Skyrim might be neat but nobody's really interested in spending two minutes to reload their musket after missing their first shot so it's not super likely to happen.

Plenty of the backstory changed between Elder Scrolls 1-4 and Skyrim, the Thalmor occupation of Tamriel being probably the most overt.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Krinkle posted:

Counterpoint: Making the blackrock sword in Ultima 7 owned. I stole a wizard's captured demon outta his magic mirror and stuck him in the gem in a pommel of a sword and he cursed my breath with every enemy I forced him to cleave through.

That was awesome. I've still never found an RPG that captured my interest like Ultima 7 did. I love that game.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

Evilreaver posted:

One thing that really salts my potatoes is game series [particularly those that cover hundreds of years] that don't change over time. The Elder Scrolls and Fallout games are the worst for this, it's some 100+ years between Scrolls and ~50 per Fallout, but there's no technological or societal advancement of any kind. Fallout 4 has people living in the exact same conditions as the citizens of Junktown/Hub in Fallout 1. Which scores a double-annoyance since Shady Sands, The NCR and Vault 8 are all more well-established than anything in FO3, NV or FO4.

I keep hoping the next Elder Scrolls game will have babby's first gunpowder weapons, or anything at all, but no :( At least on the 'societal' side they had a movement to reduce the god-count from 9 to 8, that's something.

I'm the opposite. I'm fine with societal change or whatever, but I don't like changes in technological eras. Especially if it moves a setting to an early gunpowder era or steampunk. Anything more advanced than a crossbow can get hosed until we hit the modern era.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

The Moon Monster posted:

That's my go to example of crafting in a game that absolutely didn't need it. Resources were rare until you realized that 95% of them were producible from a few items you could buy cheaply from any vendor. So the amount of equipment you could craft was mainly limited by a) your tolerance for grinding out materials in the terrible crafting interface or b) your tolerance for getting the incredibly badly implemented recipe drops.

You did way more grinding than me, then, because I was chronically short of money for most of the playthrough and cash for upgrade materials was in short supply.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

RyokoTK posted:

Getting mad at High Fantasy for not having guns and poo poo is like getting mad at the ocean for being salty. That's the genre, dude. I agree that a post-gunpowder Skyrim might be neat but nobody's really interested in spending two minutes to reload their musket after missing their first shot so it's not super likely to happen.

Plenty of the backstory changed between Elder Scrolls 1-4 and Skyrim, the Thalmor occupation of Tamriel being probably the most overt.

Is all that set in stone? Bethesda can do whatever they want with the worldbuilding since it's their lore. They probably keep the game close to a medieval type setting since they already have the fallout license when it comes to firearms.

Actually a bethesda rpg set in dishonored's world could probably fill that niche.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Perhaps they could come up with some other massive flaw while still keeping the weapon usable besides needing to take eight minutes to reload. Or just not use muskets. Or maybe make it part of the lore that this is all we've got but in the meantime we've come up with a workaround that makes reloading so easy you can get ten shots off a minute even as an untrained civilian

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

lol doublepost

RareAcumen has a new favorite as of 02:14 on Feb 23, 2016

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Action Tortoise posted:

Is all that set in stone? Bethesda can do whatever they want with the worldbuilding since it's their lore. They probably keep the game close to a medieval type setting since they already have the fallout license when it comes to firearms.

Actually a bethesda rpg set in dishonored's world could probably fill that niche.

It's not "set in stone" but the high fantasy genre almost by definition precludes gunpowder and The Elder Scrolls is a pretty by-the-book high fantasy setting. An open world RPG in the early industrial age would be really fascinating but that's not what I go to Elder Scrolls for.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Gabriel Pope posted:

You did way more grinding than me, then, because I was chronically short of money for most of the playthrough and cash for upgrade materials was in short supply.

The only "grinding" I did was running through the optional areas once each.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

The Moon Monster posted:

The only "grinding" I did was running through the optional areas once each.

So you did way more grinding than me, then.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
As much poo poo as people give Fable it's one of the few series that actually has technology progress between installations, where the first one is generic fantasy Europe where you're killing golems and dragons and by the third one you're in the industrial revolution wielding guns and leading a revolution.

Also Pillars of Eternity was disappointingly generic as far as settings go but it managed to put firearms in a fantasy setting and have it work pretty well.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I've bitched about how Subnautica's survival mode being almost entirely being based on finding salt. Either you need it to cook fishes for short-term food, or you use it to preserve fish for long-term food. It's annoying as poo poo to find; its small white cubes on the off-white seafloor.

But let's say you don't choose Survival mode, so you don't have to eat! Awesome!

Until you take some damage (hostile fish, explosions, hostile exploding fish), and you need to make a medkit.

To make a medkit, you need bleach and a common item.

Bleach is made by a common item... and salt.

:negative:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

I've bitched about how Subnautica's survival mode being almost entirely being based on finding salt. Either you need it to cook fishes for short-term food, or you use it to preserve fish for long-term food. It's annoying as poo poo to find; its small white cubes on the off-white seafloor.

But let's say you don't choose Survival mode, so you don't have to eat! Awesome!

Until you take some damage (hostile fish, explosions, hostile exploding fish), and you need to make a medkit.

To make a medkit, you need bleach and a common item.

Bleach is made by a common item... and salt.

:negative:

You sound salty.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Making salt hard to find in the ocean is impressive.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Oxxidation posted:

You sound salty.

If I knew the :applause: icon, this is where I'd put it.

Byzantine posted:

Making salt hard to find in the ocean is impressive.

No poo poo, I wish there'd be some sort of buildable thing that's just a floating tarp thing that dries out the water and leaves the salt.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

You sound salty.

:golfclap:

MisterBibs posted:

If I knew the :applause: icon, this is where I'd put it.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Alternatively, :bravo: or :downsbravo:.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Krinkle posted:

In Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, there's a side quest that entails finding a bunch of forging tools and materials in the level and actually going through the basic steps of forging a badass fire sword. It's nothing elaborate, you just follow the instructions you find along with everything else, but it's way more memorable than plunking a bunch of abstract iron ingot tokens into a menu and then it spits out a +1 Longsword.

Oh, and on that note, I absolutely hate that WoW-style "slowly filling progress bar" thing that some games pull. It makes an already boring, tedious system even worse. I can imagine the various reasons for why an MMO might have it, but I'm pretty sure I've seen it crop up in single-player games, and not even ones where you're doing item management in realtime.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
risen had a swordsmithing minigame. it made you smelt the ingots at the forge, hammer them at the anvil, and then cool them down. it was cool for a bit and useful to make two swords but none of that mattered bc the endgame always had you in quest armor and a hammer that gives you +6 to one-handed weapons, regardless of how you specced.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Dragon's Dogma: Death in Bitterblack Isle. He puts you and your pawns asleep and with a single swing of his scythe one shots everyone. Your pawns cannot handle him, at all. Not only does this mean your pawns are pretty much a non factor when actually fighting death, but when he kills your pawns they don't just die and you can revive them but they're sent to the rift. So you'll have to go all the way back to a rift stone to resummon your pawns. Its just way too punishing cause pawns can't handle Death.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
There are a lot of people with garbage inclinations on their pawns, but I can't really fault them because there's no way to tell if something is a garbage inclination without taking the time to look it up and it's not exactly easy or quick to change. Special shout out to nexus/medicant for letting me just sit at half health for an indefinite period of time while keeping the pawns I can revive indefinitely in tip-top shape.

The real problem is that you can't just set it without using specific items. Why? Just to fill the equal parts great and terrible quota DD has going, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I want to know how the gently caress 90% of the players whose pawns I look at managed to get guardian on their pawns because it is the worst. It is the worst and everyone has it. Hiring new pawns is really annoying sometimes as a result, and I have to hire new pawns pretty frequently now because you level up very quickly in bitterblack isle. Having to resummon pawns all the time due to their own stupidity is a problem too, because if one of your non-main pawns dies you can't just go to a riftstone and say "hey give me those same pawns again" you have to go into the rift and bother the servers to get their info and rehire them. Also "past summons" is sorted oldest first for some reason, so you always have to scroll to the bottom of that list to get to them again.

Pawn AI apparently wasn't changed in any way for death, which is not good when death's whole thing is just doing one extremely telegraphed but extremely dangerous attack which prevents you from reviving pawns it hits. The AI also just wasn't designed for bitterblack isle's more dangerous and instakilly environments, which are easily platformable and fun to move around in for a player, but kind of nerve wracking when you're hauling a gaggle of morons around with you who are all too happy to do this at no provocation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bvb1DieDbXo