Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Actually, its about ethics in bourbon delivery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Klyith posted:

who exactly was disputing it? from page one most people have been at the conclusion that you have only recently arrived at

but some people just get so hyped up on righteousness that they see any dissent from the crusade as bootstraps talk

THE HONOR OF A WHITE PRINCESS HAS BEEN SULLIED

TO ARMS TO ARMS

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I CARRY THIS PRINTER IN YOUR NAME MILADY

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
A living wage in san fran is like 70k a year.

Sorry to tell you this, phone monkeys aren't worth that.

Maybe Yelp should move their call center/sales center to Boise or Arlington Heights.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Flesh Forge posted:

I CARRY THIS PRINTER IN YOUR NAME MILADY

AVERT THINE EYES FROM THE BED FOR THERE COULD BE UNMENTIONABLES THERE!

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Solice Kirsk posted:

AVERT THINE EYES FROM THE BED FOR THERE COULD BE UNMENTIONABLES THERE!

*Crawls away from thread while meowing*

tomatoes and shit
Sep 17, 2015

http://www.clickhole.com/blogpost/i-ate-nothing-clif-bars-whole-year-and-their-ceo-s-3935

a slim pixie
Dec 29, 2008

an earworm burrowed into my frontal lobe

FishionMailed posted:

in the end she just wanted to live in the Best State and I can't fault her too much for that

we're like a shining beacon calling all your young people to us, it's just too bad most of them can't hack it and end up moving to TX or AZ and saying they're from CA

She already lived in Los Angeles.

amusinginquiry
Nov 8, 2009

College Slice
at least she avoided becoming a cliche

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading
FYI I confused her position with the account executive position at Yelp, which are the entry level Yelp folk who harass local biz. It looks like she was a customer service rep at the Eat24 division of Yelpb and actually was being paid min wage in SF, which is a bit over 12 per hour. My bad! I assumed it was the former because that one does require a college degree. So disregard that figure I gave with the 35k and such

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Whatev posted:

FYI I confused her position with the account executive position at Yelp, which are the entry level Yelp folk who harass local biz. It looks like she was a customer service rep at the Eat24 division of Yelpb and actually was being paid min wage in SF, which is a bit over 12 per hour. My bad! I assumed it was the former because that one does require a college degree. So disregard that figure I gave with the 35k and such

Whatev

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Whatev posted:

I roughly calculated it to like $12.5/hr based on her $8/hr after tax figure. Still more (even with inflation) than I made when I moved out on my own at 18 with my own apartment, car, insurance, etc.

Princess RALPH!!
Apr 28, 2009
One thing about this girl popped into my mind. We've all had co-workers who back talked to supervisors, disregarded direct orders etc. but none of these people that I've met would even consider saying anything like this to their CEO. I can only imagine the amount of BS her supervisors or managers had to put up with on a daily basis. People don't typically start their insubordination at that high a level. Additionally isn't writing a public message like this, or any 'I quit' video just firebombing any future career? If your new potential employer google searches your name, and they see that if you are dissatisfied with your job that you may drag their company publicly through the mud; who in their right mind would hire you?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Princess RALPH!! posted:

One thing about this girl popped into my mind. We've all had co-workers who back talked to supervisors, disregarded direct orders etc. but none of these people that I've met would even consider saying anything like this to their CEO. I can only imagine the amount of BS her supervisors or managers had to put up with on a daily basis. People don't typically start their insubordination at that high a level. Additionally isn't writing a public message like this, or any 'I quit' video just firebombing any future career? If your new potential employer google searches your name, and they see that if you are dissatisfied with your job that you may drag their company publicly through the mud; who in their right mind would hire you?

Probably not for click-bait type positions. I could see her getting offered a job writing cupcake articles or something out of this based solely on people wanting to leave comments about her being an idiot.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Solice Kirsk posted:

I roughly calculated it to like $12.5/hr based on her $8/hr after tax figure. Still more (even with inflation) than I made when I moved out on my own at 18 with my own apartment, car, insurance, etc.

There's no loving way she's making $8/hr after tax unless she can't do math or never read a single paycheck for her hourly rate. Being paid $12/hr at 40 hours a week is roughly $840 a paycheck after taxes, so none of this $645 bullshit she keeps saying unless she's only working 30 hours a week, in which case the better argument is that people working at minimum wage brackets need a full 40 a week from their primary employer to scrape by.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

lol

Princess RALPH!!
Apr 28, 2009

Solice Kirsk posted:

Probably not for click-bait type positions. I could see her getting offered a job writing cupcake articles or something out of this based solely on people wanting to leave comments about her being an idiot.

I honestly did not consider that. It would be a hilarious way to increase hits and get traffic you otherwise wouldn't see.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i think the problem with that is that they're also a vocal minority. you'd only get hits from an angry audience that shrinks over time as they move on to the next big thing, barring one or two die-hards

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

FishionMailed posted:

white knighting the gently caress out of a girl on the internet

lol man you've really gone all out in the past few pages. a good hill to die on I'd say.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Lol I love the "damning" evidence of her eating some good meals/baking/otherwise enjoying life occasionally

She's definitely a little entitled - that health care plan is nothing to sneeze at and I really don't understand why she rented that apartment - but everyone deserves a living wage, even the young and naive.

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

You loving idiots she posted this like a day before that dumb open letter

http://alotofrice.pixieset.com/thatsalotofrice/?pid=437293647&id=0&h=MjQzMTA3OTMxMg

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

What is it with white chicks and cakes/cupcakes lately?

I mean I'm all for it because it means rounder women, but why is it more of a thing now?

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

Call of Cholula posted:

http://alotofrice.pixieset.com/thatsalotofrice/?pid=437293647&id=0&h=MjQzMTA3OTMxMg

Turns out Yelp is a cool company and everything is A OK in San Francisco and we have all been scammed . That's a relief.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

Professor Shark posted:

What is it with white chicks and cakes/cupcakes lately?

I mean I'm all for it because it means rounder women, but why is it more of a thing now?

It's easy to do and approximates the real baking that grandmothers (great grandmothers) used to do.

It allows them to be lazy yet feel like a "real woman" at the same time.

Like a guy who's never left the city in his life, but wears a cowboy hat and boots.

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

reallivedinosaur posted:

Turns out Yelp is a cool company and everything is A OK in San Francisco and we have all been scammed . That's a relief.

fight the good fight in a thread about actual poverty, this is about an rear end in a top hat scamming dumb idiots on the internet.

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

FishionMailed posted:

this is a good post

did you not go to US public school in the last 20 years or what? the amount of propaganda aimed at kids to convince them either they are college bound or worthless really is amazing.

This is true. My math teacher my senior year told me that since I can't do well in her class, I couldn't do well in college, and if I couldn't do well in college I wasn't going to be able to do well at any kind of job. That's not an uncommon sentiment in high schools in my experience.

flick my Mr. Bean fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Feb 23, 2016

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

reallivedinosaur posted:

Thank god.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Puppy Galaxy posted:

Lol I love the "damning" evidence of her eating some good meals/baking/otherwise enjoying life occasionally

She's definitely a little entitled - that health care plan is nothing to sneeze at and I really don't understand why she rented that apartment - but everyone deserves a living wage, even the young and naive.

Poor people deserve cupcakes. Nobody here is anti-cupcake. People point out her food pics because she claimed that she had no money to buy food, and all she had to eat at home was rice.

quote:

I haven’t bought groceries since I started this job. Not because I’m lazy, but because I got this ten pound bag of rice before I moved here and my meals at home (including the one I’m having as I write this) consist, by and large, of that. Because I can’t afford to buy groceries. Bread is a luxury to me, even though you’ve got a whole fridge full of it on the 8th floor. But we’re not allowed to take any of that home because it’s for at-work eating.

That sounds really awful, but begs the question of how she's making cupcakes and having bourbon delivered. Which one is the lie?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Angela Christine posted:

Poor people deserve cupcakes. Nobody here is anti-cupcake. People point out her food pics because she claimed that she had no money to buy food, and all she had to eat at home was rice.

That sounds really awful, but begs the question of how she's making cupcakes and having bourbon delivered. Which one is the lie?

The "bag of rice" thing was a recurring theme she used throughout her poorly written open letter, so it being complete bullshit means we have no idea what else is actually true.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

Call of Cholula posted:

fight the good fight in a thread about actual poverty, this is about an rear end in a top hat scamming dumb idiots on the internet.

I'm a lover not a fighter, you loving numbskull!

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
http://qz.com/622232/the-yelp-employee-who-was-fired-after-her-incendiary-open-letter-to-the-ceo-speaks-out/

quote:

The first time I realized just how much my hands were shaking and how hard it was for me to be able to eat food was yesterday, when I was able to eat a sandwich and my hands and body haven’t been shaking since then. If they’re thinking I wasn’t hungry based off my posts, that’s totally not correct.

quote:

Or the Pringles. I was on the train and some dude was trying to hit on two chicks, and it went extremely wrong. … It got really intense and the train ended at their stops, and [one of the women] threw a container of Pringles. … At first I thought they were going to roll around and make a mess everywhere. I was sitting there thinking, “Why don’t I eat these?” That’s how I got those Pringles.

quote:

You have to understand that a while ago [I decided] I only want to post stuff on Instagram that makes it seem like I’m thriving, even though I’m not, because I don’t want people to worry about me. I dropped a pants size and a half. The ones I’m wearing now used to be my skinny pants. My body’s completely messed up. My kidneys have issues, and it’s not because I was eating prosciutto everyday.

quote:

To those people who think that was the case, don’t you think I would’ve deleted all those pictures of food? If I was going to plot something out and have it become so big and if I had the skills to manipulate this, don’t you think I would’ve done some critical thinking prior to it blowing up?

Nightrain
Dec 17, 2004

I may be new to SA, but I've been playing guitar in the desert and on top of pianos for years

Puppy Galaxy posted:

She did earn a living wage, but is an idiot who has a useless degree, no roommates and is surprised she has to work at least a year to gain experience and advance in her job

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Call of Cholula posted:

Not at all surprised.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

people seriously need to stop giving money to internet beggars scammers

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Considering how do many people i have on my Facebook with completely miserable near poverty level train wreck lives trying to act like they're living the high life posting selfies of themselves dressing up and sipping discount wine they bought on layaway I can see this girl scraping together pocket change to make nice dinner then post a ton of pix like that.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Prav posted:

:agreed:

It's actually really bad because it gives people a false sense that they have done their part to make the world a better place so they don't bother to actually do something substantial. Not only is it a textbook example of treating the symptoms and not the cause, but it only treats the one (whiniest, online) symptom out of tens of thousands.

Donating money to one underpaid youth with no economic opportunity does not solve anything. Changing the fact that youths are driving themselves into debt and have no economic opportunity would solve something. But that's a lot harder than throwing $10 at someone online based on a whim.

Fiend
Dec 2, 2001

Das Boo posted:

*Crawls away from thread while meowing*

Ah yes, I love role playing...

*dons stiletto heels and goose-steps towards you menacingly*

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Chomp8645 posted:

:agreed:

It's actually really bad because it gives people a false sense that they have done their part to make the world a better place so they don't bother to actually do something substantial. Not only is it a textbook example of treating the symptoms and not the cause, but it only treats the one (whiniest, online) symptom out of tens of thousands.

Donating money to one underpaid youth with no economic opportunity does not solve anything. Changing the fact that youths are driving themselves into debt and have no economic opportunity would solve something. But that's a lot harder than throwing $10 at someone online based on a whim.

i think most of us also couldn't walk to the grocery store without seeing someone more both needing and deserving than your typical internet panhandler

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Prav posted:

No, not yet: I need some money for pants for my big job interview.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
You knew that getting fired was a possibility. What was the best possible scenario you imagined would come from your letter?
At first, when I wrote it, I thought maybe he’ll see it and send me an email or something, or someone would talk to me and say, “Take that down and let’s talk about it.”

• Locked thread