Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Microwaves Mom posted:

knowing capcom cammy chun-li, and ryu's costumes or any others that are out there will be available for purchase - in march.*

I think those are the 'premium' costumes they mention here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

hiddenriverninja posted:

why do I keep on trying survivor hard when I know I will end up just paying for these colors

because you want deep down to be better than capcom, to be better than their machines.

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug

Lothire posted:

Yay SFV.

(Necalli words..)

Normals are definitely his weak point. Often I get zoned out with jabs or quick mediums that are difficult to whiff punish. Standing HK is his best normal imo but won't ever hold up against the real footsie players, or even a mediocre chun or nash. It's a tough spot to be in. Groundpound works sometimes (especially in trollmode), if your opponent is being mindless about it, but this is risky.

I haven't really found a good answer for this yet.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

cloofish posted:

Yeah I was wondering about Ken actually. In Daigo's stream he and the usual suspects among Japanese high level play said that Ken and Ryu are equal. I was just wondering what people are discovering about the character especially since first impressions weren't exactly great.

People who were saying Ken was lovely were reeeeally overreacting to his V-Skill nerfs. He doesn't need normal->run->normal that's safe on block to be good. He has good hit confirms, good damage, pretty decent midrange normals, one of the few true fireballs in the game, and he can punish -3 and -4 moves in situations where a lot of characters can't.

Sick! Thats DOPE
Aug 1, 2008

Oh sick man thats sick

Jmcrofts posted:

Randomly decided to do another one of these:

Differences from my day 1 list:

Cammy dropped - I think I overrated her at first, her pressure is less safe than I thought. Still strong though.
Necall and Dhalsim went up a lot - Definitely didn't recognize how good these guys are until I fought some good ones. Ridiculous.
Ken went up slightly - I always thought he was pretty good but now I think he's just about as good as Ryu, about halfway up the pack.
Zangief went down slightly - I definitely think he's viable but the more I see the more I feel like he loses to all the top tiers.

Thoughts?

i think dhalsim is inarguably top tier, even if he has some bad matches i think he will have some of the most lopsided matches in his favor to make up for it. i mean its theoretical but with v-reversal he has a way to escape he never had before, combine it with a lot of the cast having to take at least a little damage to safely get close to him and yeah he will be really rough.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Help Im Alive posted:

I think those are the 'premium' costumes they mention here

So there's no way to get the "premium" costumes for "free" if you can't earn Zenny? That sucks.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Fereydun posted:

nobody really wants to accept that the game sucks because if it does they have to be forced to this poo poo for another 10 years + it still has new game shine making it fun
if everyone says the game sucks and it tanks then its another dark age bc capcom is eternally seeking to get out of the fg business
the idea that everyone who likes the game is wrong is super cool.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
40k FM for story costumes? gently caress off, Capcon

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Baal posted:

40k FM for story costumes? gently caress off, Capcon

Ehh, I already have enough for 1 character and 1 story mode costume, good enough to hold me over. Now to get either Chun's police outfit or Cammy's military uniform...

cams
Mar 28, 2003

i can't wait to spend my fight money on laura's super cool and interesting story mode costume

lol

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
Vega's storymode costume is ugly as gently caress so dodged a bullet there.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Sick! Thats DOPE posted:

i think dhalsim is inarguably top tier, even if he has some bad matches i think he will have some of the most lopsided matches in his favor to make up for it. i mean its theoretical but with v-reversal he has a way to escape he never had before, combine it with a lot of the cast having to take at least a little damage to safely get close to him and yeah he will be really rough.

I think Sim gets wrecked by Rashid and Bison which is probably enough to keep him out of true top tier. Against everyone else though, especially shotos and grapplers, he's insanely good.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Jmcrofts posted:

I think Sim gets wrecked by Rashid and Bison which is probably enough to keep him out of true top tier. Against everyone else though, especially shotos and grapplers, he's insanely good.

How does he get wrecked against Rashid, if you don't mind me asking? I think Sim would beat him easy on the neutral game, I still stand for my "Rashid is gimmicky as gently caress" prediction.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Jmcrofts posted:

overall, the characters are very balanced, and after that it just comes down to matcups. only having two bad matchups is amazing.

this is a good time to post a thing that you should all absolutely give me poo poo for. played between 400-500 matches with laura, here are my thoughts on the matchup. x axis denotes whether the matchup presents offensive or defensive problems, in the middle means both, y axis is just good matchup/bad matchup.

http://www.mmcafe.com/tiermaker/sfv...0Struggles-x410

i actually think the gief matchup is worse than i have on there, but my problems with that matchup don't seem to be echo'd by most laura's, so i put him where he is.

cams fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Feb 23, 2016

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Microwaves Mom posted:

Vega's storymode costume is ugly as gently caress so dodged a bullet there.

If they ever release the classic costume in the Hyper Fighting colors my wallet will be a victim.

jopo
Jan 29, 2007

Kovalev out 6-8 months with lazy bones
What's the best, single resource that details what all the V Triggers/Isms do for each character?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Training mode.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

A.o.D. posted:

If they ever release the classic costume in the Hyper Fighting colors my wallet will be a victim.

Classic? Is that the shirtless one?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Don't know who set up the beginner's list, but you really should put Laura into "You will lose a lot but learn things." I swear to god there's no character that teaches you more even if she's bottom of the barrel terrible.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Don't know who set up the beginner's list, but you really should put Laura into "You will lose a lot but learn things." I swear to god there's no character that teaches you more even if she's bottom of the barrel terrible.
curious what you specifically think of this, you're the only other guy on here i know who has been playing laura a ton

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Microwaves Mom posted:

Classic? Is that the shirtless one?

Yaaaaa!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Maintenance got pushed back another hour, 6PM PST is the expected eta now.

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

Now I can't lose a couple matches before I have to go out. :( I hope the servers are at least a little more stable when they put them back up.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

cams posted:

curious what you specifically think of this, you're the only other guy on here i know who has been playing laura a ton

Caveated with: I'm a lot worse than you at this game probably and as such have seen a fucktonne of Ryus with very little variation.

I broadly agree. I'm least scared of the characters you mention as good matchups, although I find Karin a bit more difficult than you do since she can jab out of Mixups and her best poke is Cr. HK which is a direct counter to Laura's best poke of Cr. MK. So non-gimmick Karins will often just outdamage me in the footsy game unless I can get my second level mixup strat working.

I feel like Necali is an easier match than Karin. He wants to get in and I just think that Laura's up close game is just so much better than his, since at least some of his moves are shackled to charging.

Ken I find a little easier, mainly because I find it easier to punish his mistakes than I do most other characters.

R. Mika is interesting, I don't know the exact meaning of defensive "struggle," but she's my most variable match. If I keep her close to centre, which is easily doable because your normals wreck hers, then you destroy her. If she gets to the corner then you're pretty hosed.

I think Ryu is a worse match for Laura than Claw. You have no easy way to get in on fireball spam whereas you at least have /some/ options against Claw, specifically playing a weird shoto style fireball/DP game against him.

The worst of the bad matchups, (apart from Chun where I agree entirely) I don't see enough to comment on well.

Okita
Aug 31, 2004
King of toilets.

Jmcrofts posted:

People who were saying Ken was lovely were reeeeally overreacting to his V-Skill nerfs. He doesn't need normal->run->normal that's safe on block to be good. He has good hit confirms, good damage, pretty decent midrange normals, one of the few true fireballs in the game, and he can punish -3 and -4 moves in situations where a lot of characters can't.

I think his only two -3 punishes are LK tatsu and LP shoryu but you can link LK tatsu into HP shoryu if you're close enough to get the two hits from the tatsu.

His c.MP > b.MP is also iffy if you're not right next to them. I think you have to be very aware of range with him because a lot of his combos require you to be very close.

PSA: Don't make the same mistake I did, reading about how his 1 and 2 meter combos are not worth it and how you should always go either meterless or combo into his super. This is technically true damage-wise, but sometimes the only way you can get decent damage out of a punish is by EX combos.

Also I blame Guilty Gear for this but I assumed you have some throw invulnerability frames on wakeup in this game. That is apparently not the case(I never played SF4 so I don't know how it was in that game).
I think I did notice some throw invuln while in block stun/hit stun, anyone know the details of how it works exactly?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Yorkshire Tea posted:

R. Mika is interesting, I don't know the exact meaning of defensive "struggle," but she's my most variable match. If I keep her close to centre, which is easily doable because your normals wreck hers, then you destroy her. If she gets to the corner then you're pretty hosed.

I'm gonna need specifics. Mika can put anyone in the corner from the middle of the map off forward mp

The Timely Howard
Dec 26, 2008

ASK ME WHAT MAKES ME THINK I'M SO FUNKY

A.o.D. posted:

have you tried blocking?

It's minus 1 on block, and has a 7 frame start up. If you find a birdie that likes to spam st. mp, you can just do a standing fierce (claw on only) and it should eat it. No crush counter, though. If you don't think you have the range, a stand mk will beat it by one frame on block. Both options are very safe if Birdie blocks them. Whiffing the stand hp could lead to a bad time, so be careful.

spend some time in the lab and figure things out.

yeah i know i was just narrating my ranked matches as i played them. i'll obviously need to learn the finer points of the matchup at some point

after work i'll look at itazan's profile and see if there are any videos of him losing to claw that i can steal tech from

if there aren't i'll just complain that it's a 10-0 matchup and counterpick lol

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA

The Timely Howard posted:

yeah i know i was just narrating my ranked matches as i played them. i'll obviously need to learn the finer points of the matchup at some point

after work i'll look at itazan's profile and see if there are any videos of him losing to claw that i can steal tech from

will you be playing boxer when he comes out

cams
Mar 28, 2003

gotcha, i mostly agree. i think that karin has a really hard time actually getting in on laura. once she gets in she's a problem. mika is similar but i think she has better tools for getting in and is scarier when she does. she's way over in defensive struggles cause i have no problem getting in on a mika, but keeping her out is rough.

i think i find ryu an easier matchup cause he's pretty much the same character i've been playing for a while. vega is a new man and holy god do am i terrified of his normals. can't get passed them.

cams posted:

fchamp just handed me my first sf5 double perfect.

that was fun. seriously i just came home from work why was that my first match
i ended up running into him way later in the night, here is what i was able to do with some time to think on the matchup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_bStwTyHhk

LeninVS
Nov 8, 2011

odd finding with necalli.

If you do his sweep, and follow it up with any button press as it recovers it moves you forward quite a bit.
In the training room if you just mash sweep you can move from one corner to the other in mabye 12sweeps.

Not sure if anyone can find a use for this.... but if you do a sweep, and follow it up with a standing MP it extends the range of that MP by alot.

the best use I could find was wiff a sweep before their wakeup, and do command throw. it gives you Ken's throw range from 4 almost.

ZerodotJander
Dec 29, 2004

Chinaman, explain!
Is there a decent FAQ out yet on the system mechanics and stuff? I've paid basically no attention to any SFV news since largely falling out of fighting games as a hobby and don't intend to buy the game, but if I go over to a friend's to play it I'd like to at least have a general idea of system mechanics to start.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA

https://twitter.com/PR_Balrog/status/701313311732690944

prbalrog posted his opinions on claw's MUs

he views it as a good MU for him

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Birdie doesn't seem to be a particularly bad matchup for Vega.

Itazan vs. most people is 10-0, though. I guess your counterpick is to become kazunoku?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Who is this Kazunoku guy, I hear James Chen talk about him all the time but I've never seen him play

cams
Mar 28, 2003

AnonSpore posted:

Who is this Kazunoku guy, I hear James Chen talk about him all the time but I've never seen him play
is this a real thing? i'm not sure i don't commit internet people to memory so i don't know if this is jokes.

if not, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_9qEnm_Nik

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/SFVServer/status/701947647398023168

SFV server maintenance extended "indefinitely"

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

AnonSpore posted:

he didn't do too well in street fighter 4 so he's playing anime and beating everyone because capcom players are just so much better at fighting games than everyone

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
OH poo poo!

YOU'RE BOPPING HIM!

pocket pool
Aug 4, 2003

B U T T S

Bleak Gremlin

Foodahn posted:

https://twitter.com/SFVServer/status/701947647398023168

SFV server maintenance extended "indefinitely"

Until March?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
New tutorial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFzO6HBZhLQ

Seems like a lot of people don't know how to use the guard recovery record thingy in training mode so hopefully this is helpful.