Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Xavier434 posted:

Yes, several but this is the first game that I played where area looting was locked behind the cash shop.

you're in luck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
because now you get to play an MMO where area looting is locked behind a cash shop

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

kalstrams posted:

Hold on, I still chug acid from my acid cup, eyes glossing over $30.50.

It's actually a pretty brilliant scheme they have going on, forcing everyone to get some consumables, it's a "first taste is free" tactic without the first taste even being free. And since the base game is valueless that probably makes future lower-priced bundles or making the game truly free like the Korean version easier to transition to.

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

Xavier434 posted:

Yes, several but this is the first game that I played where area looting was locked behind the cash shop.
needing to area loot means you got crappy apm and shouldn't be gaming anyways

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Yay...

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

Xavier434 posted:

sorry i mean a real poo poo korean mmo like archeage etc not high quality ones like blade n soul/tera

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Visidan posted:

sorry i mean a real poo poo korean mmo like archeage etc not high quality ones like blade n soul/tera

I did not play Archeage and the goon consensus has convinced me that was a good choice.

futile
May 18, 2009
I actually prefer to categorize my korean mmorpgs into "complete poo poo" and "mostly poo poo"

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

univbee posted:

It's actually a pretty brilliant scheme they have going on, forcing everyone to get some consumables, it's a "first taste is free" tactic without the first taste even being free. And since the base game is valueless that probably makes future lower-priced bundles or making the game truly free like the Korean version easier to transition to.
Sorry I'm still stuck on $30.50.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Visidan posted:

What next, Chicago police department is good and Trump will make America great again?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Visidan posted:

Yeah, basically you pay to loot stuff. It's really pretty tho.

And your little loot roomba will perch on your shoulders and poo poo

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

kalstrams posted:

Trump will make America great again?

The next chinagame.exe

I wonder what its $100 founder's pack will include?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Xavier434 posted:

The next chinagame.exe

Coupon to engrave a brick on the great Mexican wall.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Xavier434 posted:

The next chinagame.exe

I keep thinking of things but starcitizen has all ready done them. It truly realizes the trump ideology.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

Tatum Girlparts posted:

And your little loot roomba will perch on your shoulders and poo poo

and even smaller roomba on that one

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

kalstrams posted:

Paid expansions are statistically less likely than this game dethroning World of Warcraft once and for all.

This business model kinda sucks for them because it relies on whales as much as a F2P game, but it has a barrier of entry for new players. They'll always be getting sales from their site and assumed presence on Steam, but they probably won't see a dime from the vast majority of launch players. I won't be surprised when they do some sort of paid expansion to get some money beyond what they get from the regular cash shop users.

Guild Wars 2 got one, and it has a similar business model with less interesting mechanics.

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Feb 22, 2016

crazystray
Aug 7, 2005
Grow or die.

quote:

The Hunting profession is used to hunt Whales, Crocodiles and Bats

What the gently caress, is this what they hunt in Korea?

I also thought you could only hunt whales, are crocs and bats not implemented yet?

The Quake
Nov 1, 2006

I will get 1 cat and await the penguins.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

crazystray posted:

What the gently caress, is this what they hunt in Korea?

I also thought you could only hunt whales, are crocs and bats not implemented yet?
Whales are content of first expansion, bats are content of second expansion. We either have crocodiles or nothing on launch, I don't remember.

Alexander DeLarge posted:

Guild Wars 2 got one, and it has a similar business model with less interesting mechanics.
Guild Wars 2 does have a rather different shop, however. I don't see paid expansions helping to retain, not even talking about attracting, the game population if situation with ash shop remains as-is.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
Are we making a new OP for launch with all the PROTIPS we've collected?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V53QO_-OKUo

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

One day I watched an hour of his videos. Poop! :razz:

LegalPad
Oct 23, 2013

I hope too many new players don't plan on power-leveling to 50 right at launch. 15 hours of mostly questless grinding sounds miserable, especially considering you would need to backtrack and do skipped quests to get more max contribution points, energy, and inventory slots anyways.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Half of suggestions in that video are fairly bad, in case someone plans to take it by heart.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
I'm certainly not grinding through this poo poo :laffo:

Gonna beeline for a nice house in that castle city

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

Sigh...challenge accepted...shitty photoshop incoming.

LegalPad posted:

I hope too many new players don't plan on power-leveling to 50 right at launch. 15 hours of mostly questless grinding sounds miserable, especially considering you would need to backtrack and do skipped quests to get more max contribution points, energy, and inventory slots anyways.

min maxing, its actually better to power level to 51 on launch.

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009
I think missing out on those inventory scrolls and energy points is stupid and this video seriously understimate the amount of retards that bought those 50 and 100 bucks packs, good areas will be crowded and I'm pretty sure there will be no way to AOE farm those big packs, people will just come and ks you and it will be pretty horrible.

The Quake
Nov 1, 2006

I'm really excited for trading in this game, for some reason just taking a wagon full of poo poo from one place to another fills a void in me. Also, Imperial/Illegal trading sounds really cool in concept and could lead to some high tension scenarios.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sh4 posted:

I think missing out on those inventory scrolls and energy points is stupid and this video seriously understimate the amount of retards that bought those 50 and 100 bucks packs, good areas will be crowded and I'm pretty sure there will be no way to AOE farm those big packs, people will just come and ks you and it will be pretty horrible.
You don't miss out on anything, you just pick it up afterwards.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Wait, there was a quest I didn't take in the barracks place near the starting town to hunt owls. I didn't take it cause I didn't have the contribution to rent rifles, but she said that "you can keep owls as pets!" Is there really no other way to get pets? That seems weird as hell considering you can buy normal rear end pet food at the stables.

Tadders
Feb 13, 2008
35% Gender Confused
If you have X playtime (I think it was like 500 hours), you get a cat or a dog for free.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Tadders posted:

If you have X playtime (I think it was like 500 hours), you get a cat or a dog for free.

Grondoth posted:

Wait, there was a quest I didn't take in the barracks place near the starting town to hunt owls. I didn't take it cause I didn't have the contribution to rent rifles, but she said that "you can keep owls as pets!" Is there really no other way to get pets? That seems weird as hell considering you can buy normal rear end pet food at the stables.
Only cash for any norm intents or purposes.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Feb 23, 2016

Tadders
Feb 13, 2008
35% Gender Confused
That is very depressing. Is it account based or is it per character?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Tadders posted:

That is very depressing. Is it account based or is it per character?
Account.

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009

kalstrams posted:

You don't miss out on anything, you just pick it up afterwards.

yeah but really you wanna pause every 5 minutes to sort your poo poo and destroy items when you're going for uber 15 hours max level mtdew nerdsession ?

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
I don't think I have 5k hours in any game ever.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sh4 posted:

yeah but really you wanna pause every 5 minutes to sort your poo poo and destroy items when you're going for uber 15 hours max level mtdew nerdsession ?
It's not even halfway as bad as you paint it. There's also cash shop inventory slots and weight limit expansion items available should you somehow fail to be reasonable about looting while insisting to rush.

lewtt
Apr 2, 2011

The Great Twist
:eonwe::eonwe:I need a tally of $100 sperglords who will be playing at the 96 hour headstart:eonwe::eonwe:

If we've got enough, it'd be a nice boon to be able to get a couple guild gathering missions in before $50 and $30 so we can increase the guild cap.

Guild Gathering missions are 90 minute timed guild-wide quests that allow you to keep what you gathered; the only requirement is that the guild collects it during the 90 minutes. It also gives both youAND the guild a respectable chunk of money when you complete, with the personal money based on how much you pine/iron/flowers you got. They're not terribly difficult, but they're gonna require more than 4 people to do reliably.

I can't just start a shitton of them and do them whenever someone feels like it; In addition to the 5 a day limit, they take 20k guild funds to start that we lose it if we don't complete it

ohsosad
Feb 11, 2012

Why is every game i play unbalanced in the other guys favour?

lewtt posted:

:eonwe::eonwe:I need a tally of $100 sperglords who will be playing at the 96 hour headstart:eonwe::eonwe:

If we've got enough, it'd be a nice boon to be able to get a couple guild gathering missions in before $50 and $30 so we can increase the guild cap.

Guild Gathering missions are 90 minute timed guild-wide quests that allow you to keep what you gathered; the only requirement is that the guild collects it during the 90 minutes. It also gives both youAND the guild a respectable chunk of money when you complete, with the personal money based on how much you pine/iron/flowers you got. They're not terribly difficult, but they're gonna require more than 4 people to do reliably.

I can't just start a shitton of them and do them whenever someone feels like it; In addition to the 5 a day limit, they take 20k guild funds to start that we lose it if we don't complete it

Sperglord 1 reporting in.
Though assuming it launches at the same time as CBT2 i won't be on for 2-3hrs after launch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kojicolnair
Mar 18, 2009

lewtt posted:

Got the $100 pack and am willing to do whatever to help. Not too worried about leveling quickly.