Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

meristem posted:

This is interesting. As an Euro, the requirements for my national ID are almost the same: birth certificate (for the first one)/previous ID (for the next), photo and a national ID number given at birth. Signature you deliver by, well, putting it into the form, and residency is mostly declared. For my first one (at 18), I think they cross-checked it with the last official residency of my legal guardian, although maybe even not that.

There are also recourses written into the law for if you lose one and also can't access a copy of your certificate, and so on, just like they should.

Needless to say, the whole issue is absolutely bizarre to me. Wouldn't it be easier for the Democrats to push for free state ID laws and have those suffice for several years (and also be useful elsewhere) than to register voters regularly? I dunno... probably somebody did a cost/benefit analysis of that somewhere.

It would and they are trying, the problem is the republicans control the house/senate in these states and are pushing these changes right before an election, if it was say a 10 year plan with plenty of time to get the ID/make it free people would have less objections to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

meristem posted:

This is interesting. As an Euro, the requirements for my national ID are almost the same: birth certificate (for the first one)/previous ID (for the next), photo and a national ID number given at birth. Signature you deliver by, well, putting it into the form, and residency is mostly declared. For my first one (at 18), I think they cross-checked it with the last official residency of my legal guardian, although maybe even not that.

There are also recourses written into the law for if you lose one and also can't access a copy of your certificate, and so on, just like they should.

They checked my parents' residency for my first license, and when my wallet got stolen all I had to do was pony up 20 bucks for a new copy (and they renewed it just because). It's going to vary by state in the US how dumb the whole process is.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
That "How is This Still a Thing?" was fairly more comprehensive than most people's rants about Hollywood racism.

That abortion bit was depressing. I almost wish John Oliver just flat out said those laws are fueled by misogyny, and that of course those lawmakers are acting in bad faith.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

What has been seen cannot be unseen.
Yeah the "How Is This Still a Thing?" segment was fantastic and the abortion bit actually made me cry at the end. How can that young girl make sense of her situation in the world?

The further I go in medical school, the more frustrated I get by many of the laws regulating health care. I get that physicians have to answer to someone, but so much of the work is so esoteric that I really don't understand why idiot politicians are allowed to regulate it. Not to mention the bad faith laws as mentioned above.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Echo Chamber posted:

That "How is This Still a Thing?" was fairly more comprehensive than most people's rants about Hollywood racism.

That abortion bit was depressing. I almost wish John Oliver just flat out said those laws are fueled by misogyny, and that of course those lawmakers are acting in bad faith.
I wish the Hollywood whitewashing thing got deeper into basically the entire industry being led by white executives, because they do most of the heavy lifting behind the scenes and have control over which perspectives are told and which aren't. But then it's harder to attach value to those people compared to Ridley Scott or basically every household name actor in the last 60 years.

And I haven't watched The Last Samurai but pretty sure even just the wikipedia synopsis leads me to believe the title of the movie is The Last Samurai (pl), as in Tom Cruise rolls with a bunch of samurai, not that Tom Cruise is a 19th century weeaboo cosplaying as a Samurai in Japan while everyone else gives him weird looks.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Pillow Hat posted:

Yeah the "How Is This Still a Thing?" segment was fantastic and the abortion bit actually made me cry at the end. How can that young girl make sense of her situation in the world?

Well if she didn't want her women's health protected so vigorously by the compassionate conservatives she shouldn't have been such an immoral jezebel slut having premarital sex like it's a handshake. Little whore. I bet she was wearing some slutty outfit showing an entire inch of ankle.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Sober posted:

I wish the Hollywood whitewashing thing got deeper into basically the entire industry being led by white executives, because they do most of the heavy lifting behind the scenes and have control over which perspectives are told and which aren't. But then it's harder to attach value to those people compared to Ridley Scott or basically every household name actor in the last 60 years.

And I haven't watched The Last Samurai but pretty sure even just the wikipedia synopsis leads me to believe the title of the movie is The Last Samurai (pl), as in Tom Cruise rolls with a bunch of samurai, not that Tom Cruise is a 19th century weeaboo cosplaying as a Samurai in Japan while everyone else gives him weird looks.

The Last Samurai is based on a true store about a western officer going to Japan to modernize the country and getting involved in a rebellion.

It's a poo poo movie but not for the reason Oliver talked about.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

sbaldrick posted:

The Last Samurai is based on a true store about a western officer going to Japan to modernize the country and getting involved in a rebellion.

The only good Dances with Wolves remake was Avatar.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

sbaldrick posted:

It very much belongs as one of the reasons.

The Impossible, Flowers of War, and a dozen other films had the pretense of being based on a true story, but they're all films designed mainly as vehicles for the white stars who have every reason to maintain their stardom. And Hollywood can barely make a movie for an American audience about an Asian person in Asia. Or an Asian person in America. The examples you can think of are the exception.

And you have shitlords like Bill Maher blaming the white Oscars on Asians.

While you can blame anonymous white executives, I still put a lot of blame on white liberal stars who pay lip service to how things need to change but are directly involved in the whitewashing process. (***Cough*** Ben Affleck ***Cough*** Kevin Spacey...)

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

sbaldrick posted:

Of course the real guy died in battle. The movie would have been several leagues less terrible had the plot not been "White man leads an entire band of Japanese men to their death while miraculously surviving the same hail to bullets, then goes off to marry the village beauty."

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

Echo Chamber posted:

And you have shitlords like Bill Maher blaming the white Oscars on Asians.

While you can blame anonymous white executives, I still put a lot of blame on white liberal stars who pay lip service to how things need to change but are directly involved in the whitewashing process. (***Cough*** Ben Affleck ***Cough*** Kevin Spacey...)

Bill Maher is such a slimy piece of poo poo. He's not very different from Donald Trump in my opinion.

Re whitewashing: good point. I definitely think executives are to blame, but at the same time it's frankly ridiculous to imagine the white actors taking on these roles that should go to poc don't have any judgment or agency. Pass on the fuckin' role!

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
In fairness. Getting work in Hollywood isn't easy and not all actors can afford to pass on a role. Yeah, Tom Cruise is a mega star and probably should, but if you're Joel Edgerton and Ridley Scott comes and offers you a lead part in a bible epic, you're probably not in a position to turn it down. I'm not excusing the practice, but don't necessarily lump the blame on the actors for taking the part.

Creed at the Oscars this year has to be the biggest example of whitewashing. Coogler and Michael B Jordan deserved a nomination in their respective categories, instead the only nomination it gets is for the one white guy in the entire cast.

That abortion story had me tearing up. So hosed up. Reminded me a bit about the Gay Marriage story they did last year. It's one thing for a law to be passed, but it doesn't mean they won't make it difficult as all hell to do. That poor girl.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

xcore posted:

That abortion story had me tearing up. So hosed up. Reminded me a bit about the Gay Marriage story they did last year. It's one thing for a law to be passed, but it doesn't mean they won't make it difficult as all hell to do. That poor girl.

This kind of thing ties in a lot with the bit about state legislatures from ages ago - it doesn't matter what the federal laws say or even who controls the senate/congress/presidency/supreme court, because all the actual details of the implementation of the laws are decided at the state level and they can get away with a LOT without the federal government intervening and the major problem is that all the shittiest people know this. It's why ALEC targets local legislatures rather than trying to lobby at the federal level.

Just out of curiosity are there any other countries that give as much local autonomy as the US does to the states? It seems like a weird thing to me that the legality of some pretty big issues like gay marriage or abortions or gun control can vary so wildly within the same country.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

Something I expected John Oliver to cover which he did not is the fact that when abortion is illegal, women die from botched back alley abortions. I don't have the statistics on hand, but I recall that complications from illegal abortions cause significant morbidity and mortality. It's not like making it illegal ends the practice, it just puts women's health at risk. Imagine that.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
To be clear, I've been one of those people who complained about racist Hollywood long "before it was cool". And I still generally practice the idea of not blaming the actors. I don't fault Emma Stone for Aloha or Jennifer Lawrence for The Hunger Games.

But I've seen people like Kevin Spacey and Ben Affleck pay lip service, and I think it's absolutely hypocritical of them. 21 was Kevin Spacey's pet project that he wanted to get made. No Kevin Spacey, no whitewashed movie. He was certainly in a position to prevent it from become the quintessential example of Asian whitewashing, but it looks like he was absolutely okay with it. And after House of Cards, he solidified himself as some sort of folk hero among pop culture geeks, as well as becoming a beltway darling. And Argo was always supposed to be Ben Affleck's actor/director vehicle so he would have never made the movie if he had to get a Hispanic guy to play the main character. (And you can draw a direct line between Argo-->the Oscar-->Batfleck.)

And I do blame a lot on the film geek mentality of "all the credit and none of the blame". Any nominal gesture of diversity is brought into a narrative about how Marvel or Disney is ahead of the curve and so diverse, blah blah blah. But the flack they get when obviously cynical acts of whitewash are made known seems to be the temporary poo poo that blows over. Unearned goodwill is easy for Big Hollywood to acquire despite their open racism.

I kind of feel bad everyone's still playing the defensive game when it comes to abortion rights. I'm sick of people saying they'll merely "defend" Planned Parenthood. I want pro-choice politicians to start promising to double or triple the public funding, and making promises to exercise as much federal power as possible to get new clinics built in states where there's only one left. I'm glad Oliver did drop in the last "What the gently caress is wrong with you?" near the end of the bit after pretending to respect the beliefs of extreme pro-lifers.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Feb 23, 2016

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Just out of curiosity are there any other countries that give as much local autonomy as the US does to the states? It seems like a weird thing to me that the legality of some pretty big issues like gay marriage or abortions or gun control can vary so wildly within the same country.

I can only speak from one other county (Australia) but, yeah, it's pretty scary how much power your individual states seem to have. I think it goes back to your history with things like the Civil War, Wild West, Louisiana Purchase, Mexico owning a quarter of todays USA etc.

Australia was pretty much always Australia so they didn't have to deal with all that. Laws are either Federal or State and there isn't a lot of cross over. Federal is Healthcare, Taxes, Foreign Policy etc. and State is school funding, infrastructure, driving laws etc. The only real cross over is when it comes to funding major things like highways, sports stadiums, power plants etc. where the states lobby the federal government for funding and the federal government wants a say as a result.

I assume Europe is fairly similar because the countries are so drat tiny and the populations are so small that the countries probably operate on the scope of a US state by default.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
It's pretty incredible how Morgan Freeman, Denzel Washington and Will Smith became the megastars that they are in such a climate. I think black actors are on a separate tier than Asian, Indian, Middle-Eastern actors.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

xcore posted:

In fairness. Getting work in Hollywood isn't easy and not all actors can afford to pass on a role. Yeah, Tom Cruise is a mega star and probably should, but if you're Joel Edgerton and Ridley Scott comes and offers you a lead part in a bible epic, you're probably not in a position to turn it down. I'm not excusing the practice, but don't necessarily lump the blame on the actors for taking the part.

That's actually the reason that Fisher Stevens took that part in Short Circuit, he realized it was kind of out of line but he couldn't afford to turn down work at the time.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

muscles like this? posted:

That's actually the reason that Fisher Stevens took that part in Short Circuit, he realized it was kind of out of line but he couldn't afford to turn down work at the time.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/15/a...&pgtype=article

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Echo Chamber posted:

To be clear, I've been one of those people who complained about racist Hollywood long "before it was cool". And I still generally practice the idea of not blaming the actors. I don't fault Emma Stone for Aloha or Jennifer Lawrence for The Hunger Games.

The hunger game thing is more hilarious then what he got into. They were pissed her best friend had a black actor, when the book described her as black.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
The best short explanation I can give to non-Americans for why US states have so much power is, in theory, the states created the union and not the other way around.

The only reason the federal government has as much power as it is because the Articles of Confederation was a total failure and also the Civil War.

I'm not against abolishing state governments and turning the United States of America into the United State of America. But that's not going to happen in my lifetime. Also, get rid of the U.S. Senate.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Echo Chamber posted:

I'm not against abolishing state governments and turning the United States of America into the United State of America. But that's not going to happen in my lifetime. Also, get rid of the U.S. Senate.
Lol if you thinking having the House run things is any better.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Josh Lyman posted:

Lol if you thinking having the House run things is any better.
The House would probably be more bearable without the state legislatures gerrymandering its constituencies.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

A line in that article raises an interesting point that's kind of the key to the whole problem: White people (especially white dudes) are the "default" for a character. If the script doesn't define their race, it's just assumed that it's a white person. Ethnic actors are cast as specifically "ethnic" roles. The lack of roles specifically written for minorities is an issue, but I think the bigger issue is that underlying assumption that minorities NEED roles written specifically for them; instead they should be considered for any role where the character's race isn't actually a major factor in the story (which is like, 95% of leading roles).

George A Romero has said that he didn't cast Duane Jones as the lead in Night of the Living Dead to make any sort of commentary on race (even though you can totally read the movie as a bunch of scared white people ignoring the sensible black guy solely based on the fact that he's black), but rather just because he gave the best audition. Honestly I think that attitude is more forward thinking than if he WAS trying to make a commentary on race.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

Echo Chamber posted:

The best short explanation I can give to non-Americans for why US states have so much power is, in theory, the states created the union and not the other way around.

The only reason the federal government has as much power as it is because the Articles of Confederation was a total failure and also the Civil War.

I pretty much agree with what you're saying, but on the other hand local government (I'm talking city government, not state government) is sometimes much more effective at avoiding partisan politics. I live in Indianapolis and we have a Republican mayor. I didn't vote for him, but he's honestly been a pretty good leader. He's pretty much just interested in making the city work well and he's not tied up in bullshit social conservatism. In fact he spoke out against RFRA, the GOP sponsored law which permits companies to refuse to serve LGBT customers.

Dead Precedents
May 5, 2005

Precedents come and go, but death goes on forever.
It's also a bitch when projects that don't have a "white hero" have a hell of a time getting funding. Supposedly, Danny Glover's film about Toussaint L'ouverture is stuck in development hell because of it.

We get movies like "The Help" (which they mentioned on the show) or Blind Side.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

A lot of the problem is that Ridley Scott is right - its hard as hell to get funding for blockbusters with diverse casts.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

Dead Precedents posted:

It's also a bitch when projects that don't have a "white hero" have a hell of a time getting funding. Supposedly, Danny Glover's film about Toussaint L'ouverture is stuck in development hell because of it.

Anything to feed into the White Savior trope...

:smith:

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012
I think the worst offenders are the films about selfless white people SACRIFICING EVERYTHING to LIVE IN THE GHETTO and teach. Because everyone knows teaching inner city youths is impossible so it's literally amazing that treating them like human beings and designing a curriculum based on their needs seems to GASP actually make them learn.

White people go to the movies to watch films like Freedom Writers, The Blind Side, Half Nelson, and The Soloist, pat themselves on the back for being so accepting of these minorities in film, and then take the long way home avoiding the downtown area.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

speshl guy posted:

I think the worst offenders are the films about selfless white people SACRIFICING EVERYTHING to LIVE IN THE GHETTO and teach. Because everyone knows teaching inner city youths is impossible so it's literally amazing that treating them like human beings and designing a curriculum based on their needs seems to GASP actually make them learn.

White people go to the movies to watch films like Freedom Writers, The Blind Side, Half Nelson, and The Soloist, pat themselves on the back for being so accepting of these minorities in film, and then take the long way home avoiding the downtown area.

Right like the loving Teach For America suburbanite is the hero of the story and not the kids. :sigh:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I don't know what you guys are talking about, Only The Strong is the best movie ever made.

Dead Precedents
May 5, 2005

Precedents come and go, but death goes on forever.

Burkion posted:

I don't know what you guys are talking about, Only The Strong is the best movie ever made.

Well, yeah, 'cause capoeira is loving awesome.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Dead Precedents posted:

Then there's the case of Cry Freedom, which should've been about anti-apartheid activist Steve Biko, but ended up being about Steve Biko's dull white journalist buddy.

But a special place in Entertainment Hell is reserved for the 1950s TV anthology that managed to do a version of Huckleberry Finn that didn't have Jim in it.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I do wonder whenever a "conversation" about Hollywood racism props up, how much of it is actually new for people participating it.

I see the same things come up each time. The obligatory examples of whitewash. People talk about white saviors. About Hollywood needing bankable stars. "Where are the asian/indian/latino actors?" Idris Elba, Michael B. Jordan, racists on Twitter, etc.

It's one of those "says more about me" things, but I've grown pretty cynical towards the meta-conversation itself. I kind of feel like people are exercising rather than gaining new insight. People miss the forest for the trees. The reason why Hollywood whitewash and the industry's other racist practices are still a thing is because racism is a feature of Hollywood, not a bug. To believe artists, executives, directors, and even some big name actors otherwise mean well and are simply shortsighted is to give them an enormous benefit of the doubt they don't deserve. Millions of dollars are always at stake. No detail is too trivial for a product like a big budget film. They all know what they're doing and they're willfully being racist.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

xcore posted:

It's pretty incredible how Morgan Freeman, Denzel Washington and Will Smith became the megastars that they are in such a climate. I think black actors are on a separate tier than Asian, Indian, Middle-Eastern actors.

I've read a couple of articles that say because only Freeman, Washington and Smith are the only bankable black actors overseas which also freaks out the studios. I don't know how true that is, but I have seen it. Indian actors are a whole different kettle of fish due to Bollywood which rarely cross over unlike Asian movies.

Dead Precedents posted:

L'Ouverture would be a super interesting movie but I'd say it's more the scope that kills it.

The abortion part of the show depressed the hell out of me.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

Echo Chamber posted:

The reason why Hollywood whitewash and the industry's other racist practices are still a thing is because racism is a feature of Hollywood The United States, not a bug.

FTFY

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

sbaldrick posted:

The abortion part of the show depressed the hell out of me.
Honestly I wish Oliver didn't go with the sloths at the end and just ended the show on a note like abortion laws are loving lovely and people should try to do something about it. 99.9% of the people watching the show probably have similar views even if they somehow all land in the "abortion only in super rare cases" category. Like sometimes I feel like he's got the audience and I really doubt he would've lost anyone if didn't basically deflect the whole thing at the end with a non-sequitur of a stunt. Like he made the point a bunch of places are thinking of enacting lovely laws or fighting back against people who dare stand up to the insane standards for abortions and clinics and I think it's such an important concern that you should just leave your audience with that feeling once in a while instead of "aww, it's okay, here's something completely unrelated to leave you on a good note, fire the glitter cannons!". Well I don't know, I'm not John Oliver and it isn't my show.

Echo Chamber posted:

I do wonder whenever a "conversation" about Hollywood racism props up, how much of it is actually new for people participating it.

I see the same things come up each time. The obligatory examples of whitewash. People talk about white saviors. About Hollywood needing bankable stars. "Where are the asian/indian/latino actors?" Idris Elba, Michael B. Jordan, racists on Twitter, etc.

It's one of those "says more about me" things, but I've grown pretty cynical towards the meta-conversation itself. I kind of feel like people are exercising rather than gaining new insight. People miss the forest for the trees. The reason why Hollywood whitewash and the industry's other racist practices are still a thing is because racism is a feature of Hollywood, not a bug. To believe artists, executives, directors, and even some big name actors otherwise mean well and are simply shortsighted is to give them an enormous benefit of the doubt they don't deserve. Millions of dollars are always at stake. No detail is too trivial for a product like a big budget film. They all know what they're doing and they're willfully being racist.
I mean yeah it's a feature if only because the community is really incestuous at times and it's more about who you know, etc. than actual talent. I'm really doubtful that big headliners for blockbuster movies really have to audition for their parts at all for instance. And because projects cost a bunch of money of course the people in charge of greenlighting and financing this poo poo are gonna make sure they try to at least make their money back with safe investments (for the lack of a better term). It's not really that the creatives are the problem, it's the people gating entrance to creating Hollywood entertainment.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

Sober posted:

I mean yeah it's a feature if only because the community is really incestuous at times and it's more about who you know, etc. than actual talent. I'm really doubtful that big headliners for blockbuster movies really have to audition for their parts at all for instance. And because projects cost a bunch of money of course the people in charge of greenlighting and financing this poo poo are gonna make sure they try to at least make their money back with safe investments (for the lack of a better term). It's not really that the creatives are the problem, it's the people gating entrance to creating Hollywood entertainment.

Right so the problem isn't actually white supremacy, it's white supremacy.

Don't wanna risk hiring one of those black actors I keep hearing about. Wouldn't be a "safe" investment.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

xcore posted:

It's pretty incredible how Morgan Freeman, Denzel Washington and Will Smith became the megastars that they are in such a climate.

Wesley Snipes nearly made the list but there were ..... problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Morgan Freeman is the magic voice of Hollywood. Will Smith very carefully manages his image and his greatest failure of brand making was Hancock, which he got away with because it was such a failure. He turned down Django Unchained because Tarantino wouldn't let him impose his brand on the movie.

I didn't actually know who Denzel Washington was off the top of my head, but I did see The Taking of Pelham which was alright.

• Locked thread