Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
no you should always be driving such that if anyone steps out without looking you do not hit them. cars personally frighten me and ideally no one should ever drive them. if you are in a carpark, you should be walking, not driving, and if you are elderly or a child as some people itt claim, you are literally too stupid to live and its ok if you just walk out on the road because cars can stop on the spot at speeds higher than not moving at all.

if people walk out in front of you without looking, then its your fault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

MonoAus posted:

I don't think anybody is really debating this in good faith but;

I think this is what Laserface is saying: Pedestrians should look before they cross the road to avoid injury not because they are legally bound to.. They should look because drivers may break the law and run them over.

What everyone else is saying: Motorists are always at fault if a pedestrian is hit at a crossing. Cars should travel through crossings at a speed at which they could stop at a moments notice. If you see a pedestrian standing at the side of the road at a crossing, you must stop for them. If a pedestrian runs/jumps in front of a car as it is passing or not a crossing, this is a different situation.

Both statements are true, I'm not sure why you're arguing about this.

Drivers, let us stand together to secure the survival of your people and my people, for they are one and the same - they are our beloved, miraculous, wonderful, blessed and masterful automotive race!

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Anidav posted:

Trees near the road should be banned. I hate people planting some monster shrub in their front yard creating blind spots for everyone and council is like deal with it then crashes happen.

Bloody council planted three trees on the nature strip outside my house last week. It's an accident waiting to happen, I tell ya.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Birb Katter posted:

Drivers, let us stand together to secure the survival of your people and my people, for they are one and the same - they are our beloved, miraculous, wonderful, blessed and masterful automotive race!

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

no you should always be driving such that if anyone steps out without looking you do not hit them. cars personally frighten me and ideally no one should ever drive them. if you are in a carpark, you should be walking, not driving, and if you are elderly or a child as some people itt claim, you are literally too stupid to live and its ok if you just walk out on the road because cars can stop on the spot at speeds higher than not moving at all.

if people walk out in front of you without looking, then its your fault.

Nobody argued that actually :shrug:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Uh quick. A distraction!

Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull has requested an investigation into a taxpayer funded program aimed at helping lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans and/or intersex (LGBTI) school students.

The Safe Schools education program is set to be reviewed following fierce criticism from some Coalition backbenchers.

Coalition MPs have been agitating against the program, saying it raises sexual issues which are inappropriate for teenagers and young children.

Senator Cory Bernardi told the ABC the program was seeing children "being bullied and intimidated into complying with a radical program".

Senator Bernardi has called on the Government to withdraw funding for the program.

"It's not about gender, it's not about sexuality," he said.

"It makes everyone fall into line with a political agenda.

"Our schools should be places of learning, not indoctrination."

Senator Bernardi said Mr Turnbull has asked Education Minister Simon Birmingham to investigate the issue.

Comment has been sought from the Safe Schools Coalition.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

no you should always be driving such that if anyone steps out without looking you do not hit them.

what do these lines painted on the road mean? what cruel gods torment me with their arcane runes?????

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

MonoAus posted:

Nobody argued that actually :shrug:

all of those things are quotes

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Anidav posted:

Uh quick. A distraction!

Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull has requested an investigation into a taxpayer funded program aimed at helping lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans and/or intersex (LGBTI) school students.

The Safe Schools education program is set to be reviewed following fierce criticism from some Coalition backbenchers.

Coalition MPs have been agitating against the program, saying it raises sexual issues which are inappropriate for teenagers and young children.

Senator Cory Bernardi told the ABC the program was seeing children "being bullied and intimidated into complying with a radical program".

Senator Bernardi has called on the Government to withdraw funding for the program.

"It's not about gender, it's not about sexuality," he said.

"It makes everyone fall into line with a political agenda.

"Our schools should be places of learning, not indoctrination."

Senator Bernardi said Mr Turnbull has asked Education Minister Simon Birmingham to investigate the issue.

Comment has been sought from the Safe Schools Coalition.

https://twitter.com/mmccwill/status/701945750649876480

xPanda
Feb 6, 2003

Was that me or the door?

MaliciousOnion posted:

Bloody council planted three trees on the nature strip outside my house last week. It's an accident waiting to happen, I tell ya.

Wasn't there some thought bubble policy announced a few weeks ago about shading cities by planting heaps of trees around footpaths? Sounds nice, but won't the roots absolutely destroy all the pavement in a couple of decades?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

*is Lord mayor*
*decides to plant giant gently caress off oaks on every street corner*
*suburban collisions increase*
"We must increase rego to pay for driving training programs for inexperienced young drivers!"
*plants more trees*

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Oh, gently caress those fuckers for even thinking that about LGBTI support. I took over a decade to figure myself out, solely because the people I regularly met and talked to never even broached the subject other than to occasionally ridicule it. I'm certain if I had exposure to that sort of thing growing up I'd be much happier and more comfortable now. But no, instead I grew up confused and hating myself, surrounded only by people that reinforced that.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Feb 23, 2016

chyaroh
Aug 8, 2007

xPanda posted:

Wasn't there some thought bubble policy announced a few weeks ago about shading cities by planting heaps of trees around footpaths? Sounds nice, but won't the roots absolutely destroy all the pavement in a couple of decades?

My pet peeve are roundabouts with jungles planted in the middle. It royally screws up the primary purpose of a roundabout, which is to keep the traffic flowing. If you can't see a car coming until it is at the intersection next to you thanks to all the foliage then you might as well have left the bloody thing as give way/stop signs instead.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

xPanda posted:

Wasn't there some thought bubble policy announced a few weeks ago about shading cities by planting heaps of trees around footpaths? Sounds nice, but won't the roots absolutely destroy all the pavement well after everyone has moved on from politics?

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

More trees the better, though. Barren suburbs are horrendous. On corners though is ridiculous.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Making schools safe for children is bullying - an elected official.

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012

Cleretic posted:

Oh, gently caress those fuckers for even thinking that about LGBTI support. I took over a decade to figure myself out, solely because the people I regularly met and talked to never even broached the subject other than to occasionally ridicule it. I'm certain if I had exposure to that sort of thing growing up I'd be much happier and more comfortable now. But no, instead I grew up confused and hating myself, surrounded only by people that reinforced that.

Join the club.

This is disgusting but unsurprising from Bernardi.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
https://twitter.com/MarkDiStef/status/701949193162653696

Cultural relativism is the principle that an individual person's beliefs and activities should be understood by others in terms of that individual's own culture.

Marxism is a method of socioeconomic analysis, originating from the mid-to-late 19th century works of German philosophers Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels, that analyzes class relations and societal conflict using a materialist interpretation of historical development and a dialectical view of social transformation. According to Marxist analysis, class conflict within capitalism arises due to intensifying contradictions between highly productive mechanized and socialized production performed by the proletariat, and private ownership and appropriation of the surplus product in the form of surplus value (profit) by a small minority of private owners called the bourgeoisie

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

chyaroh posted:

My pet peeve are roundabouts with jungles planted in the middle. It royally screws up the primary purpose of a roundabout, which is to keep the traffic flowing. If you can't see a car coming until it is at the intersection next to you thanks to all the foliage then you might as well have left the bloody thing as give way/stop signs instead.

God yes. This happens all the time around new building areas. It's frankly dangerous. Put some shrubs or something on there that don't grow above a foot, not trees and large flowers.

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012

Amoeba102 posted:

More trees the better, though. Barren suburbs are horrendous. On corners though is ridiculous.

My partner works maintaining street trees for a city council in Perth. He' s always said that there's regulations about vegetation not blocking line of sight and is often called to remove trees that residents complain about because of that.

What's worse is planting trees under powerlines only to have to heavily prune them when they inevitably encroach.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

MysticalMachineGun posted:

God yes. This happens all the time around new building areas. It's frankly dangerous. Put some shrubs or something on there that don't grow above a foot, not trees and large flowers.

Counterpoint, put sunflowers in there so you feel like you're driving around in the land of the giants.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Question for the thread based on an anecdote.

We were talking about negative gearing at lunch and while one of my co-workers think Labor's position is to unceremoniously drop it (and that Liberal will phase it out except for new buildings, which is the Labor position) and that it would effect me, a person with a single home, by the market dropping as all the investors dropout. Hence if my house value drops by 50 grand the bank will then charge me that.

Is this in any way true? I honestly don't care if my house value drops as long as my daughter will eventually be able to own a home or apartment rather than rent forever.

Also it's a bad investment if you rely on tax breaks to make your investment work.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

MonoAus posted:

My partner works maintaining street trees for a city council in Perth. He' s always said that there's regulations about vegetation not blocking line of sight and is often called to remove trees that residents complain about because of that.

What's worse is planting trees under powerlines only to have to heavily prune them when they inevitably encroach.

What type of line of sight? Driving/safety, or just "My views!"

Yeah, in areas with powerlines it's different. But in some suburbs with underground lines, some are pretty tree-less.

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Cartoon posted:

Actually it's burnt.

actually thats originally a yank convention, there's no real historical distinction in UK/Australian english but UK english sucks anyway

e: I will never understand why the vein of hatred for American English runs so deep in australia, we already hate the poms and love Americans but something something language being a primary cultural identifier

drowned in pussy juice fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Feb 23, 2016

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Billboards are a plague on this fair city!
*plants African wildflowers and unkillabile trees everywhere*

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

We were talking about negative gearing at lunch and while one of my co-workers think Labor's position is to unceremoniously drop it (and that Liberal will phase it out except for new buildings, which is the Labor position) and that it would effect me, a person with a single home, by the market dropping as all the investors dropout. Hence if my house value drops by 50 grand the bank will then charge me that.

Is this in any way true? I honestly don't care if my house value drops as long as my daughter will eventually be able to own a home or apartment rather than rent forever.

Also it's a bad investment if you rely on tax breaks to make your investment work.

What is more likely (as in will be what happens) is that house prices will rise a little less than wage growth. You won't lose shitloads on your house, it just won't appreciate at 30% pa like has been happening.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Not exactly. The bank isn't going to charge you money, but if the loan to value ratio of your home which has secured a loan drops, your interest rate may change slightly. But this is only likely to have an effect at the start of the loan, since after a while you've paid off enough that the LVR has already dropped from when you started. The thing is that you're still paying back the mortgage regardless of what your house price is, so if the price dropped like a stone, theoretically, you're paying it off for an asset that is worth far less. But, if you're living in the place, the value isn't going to affect you since you can't access the value unless you sell it.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

That doesn't make any loving sense.
Is the suggestion that the bank will try to recover the drop in value from you? That's completely absurd. In that position the bank is kind of winning because you're paying interest on something more than the asset is now worth. The danger would be from people walking away once the house is worth less than the mortgage is. None of which your cretinous colleague has to have any idea about.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
MMG do you work with Laserface?

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Come chill at my house where you can only get in and out by crossing a highway off ramp that requires you to enter the intersection to be able to see if its clear cause the planted big bushes on it.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Cartoon posted:

Actually it's burnt.
Either is fine. They mean the same thing and both occur at almost the same frequency in the 2007 British National Corpus.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

No. Your mortgage would stay the same. Where people get hosed by the housing market dropping is often a housing market drop is caused by a slump in the economy, someone loses their job and can no longer service their mortgage, they have to sell their house but because the market drops out you get back less than what you paid, and quite potentially less than what you still owe and are stuck with debt and no house.

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012

Amoeba102 posted:

What type of line of sight? Driving/safety, or just "My views!"

Yeah, in areas with powerlines it's different. But in some suburbs with underground lines, some are pretty tree-less.

Driving/Safety. If it's a safety issue the council has to investigate it.

Sometimes people just want the tree gone for other reasons though and they just pretend they can't see past it.

Suburbs with underground power are exactly where they should be growing more trees, in my opinion.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Come chill at my house where you can only get in and out by crossing a highway off ramp that requires you to enter the intersection to be able to see if its clear cause the planted big bushes on it.

We must have a society in which driving men and women can live and work, in their homes and in the streets of our cities, without fear.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

The amount of blind spots in Brisbane suburbs is insane the Council is lazy as gently caress and sometimes you run into shrubs that grow out and take up half the lane and your vision. How are robot cars meant to help. Robots can't see past trees either.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Cheers for the answers folks, no I don't work with Laserface, just a privileged white boy who's voted Liberal all his life and is quite lovely outside of talking about politics.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

No, the bank cant go back and change the value of your loan unilaterally.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Anidav posted:

The amount of blind spots in Brisbane suburbs is insane the Council is lazy as gently caress and sometimes you run into shrubs that grow out and take up half the lane and your vision. How are robot cars meant to help. Robots can't see past trees either.

Oh anidav.

They can talk to each other wirelessly, which doesnt require sight.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I thought Google Car used a 360' camera

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

it probably does, but it is not the only method used to determine road conditions.

• Locked thread