Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Unless that shirt has Bubsy logos on it, you should pretend it's a Metal Gear shirt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

ChaosArgate posted:

Unless that shirt has Bubsy logos on it, you should pretend it's a Metal Gear shirt.

The page shows the back which has a decently-sized Bubsy logo right under the collar. Ain't no hiding it, but what could pawsibly go wrong with a shirt that swag?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

If you played Bubsy cause someone bought it for you would you do the same if someone bought you this shirt?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

ChorpSaway posted:

The page shows the back which has a decently-sized Bubsy logo right under the collar. Ain't no hiding it, but what could pawsibly go wrong with a shirt that swag?

I mean you could probably get away with an open hoodie? :shrug:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Leal posted:

If you played Bubsy cause someone bought it for you would you do the same if someone bought you this shirt?

If someone buys me the official bubsy shirt, I will wear the official bubsy shirt. I will not lp the bubsy shirt.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
let's playing a shirt? that sounds like a challenge

Telegnostic
Apr 24, 2008
If you wore that shirt, people would think you were a fan of Jeb Bush.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Bub!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

CJacobs posted:

If someone buys me the official bubsy shirt, I will wear the official bubsy shirt. I will not lp the bubsy shirt.

You could do a facecam during an LP with the Bubsy shirt, that's kinda the same right?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Why would I need a facecam, that's not where the shirt is! Now, a chestcam, that'd be something. Of course, I have one of those weird concave stomachs so you probably don't want to see that, but still, it would be revolutionary!

If someone buys me the bubsy shirt, I promise, I will do an LP while wearing it. I don't have a webcam so there won't be a face/chest/! cam, but still you can just take my word that it will be on my body.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Blind Sally posted:

let's playing a shirt? that sounds like a challenge

The ultimate in thread participation. Becoming the fabric of a piece of clothing.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Hey it says in that manual that if the game is defective, you can return it without charge in 90 days. This game certainly seems defective to me. CJacobs, have you been playing it for less than 90 days?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Looking at the date of the first recording, it's only been 68 days! This is my chance to cash in on Artix's 4 bucks!!

edit: I am going to change my avatar away from bubsy soon now that bubsy 1 is concluded. Thank you for making the avatar for me FeyerbrandX, it was worth the five-spot I paid for it.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Feb 23, 2016

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
to whoever wins the Bubsy fan art contest: use your prize* to have CJacobs' avatar turned back to Bubsy the moment he tries to change it to something else.

once bubsy

forever bubsy

*generously purchased by nine-gear crow

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

ChaosArgate posted:

I mean you could probably get away with an open hoodie? :shrug:
Real fans wear it with no pants.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
Playing old From Software games to kill time before Dark Souls 3 comes out so why not record them for others to enjoy! Let's begin!

Shadow Tower Abyss, the PS2 sequel to the PS1 classic Shadow Tower! This is going to be a low effort LP. No commentary. No editing. The game shall speak for itself. Probably not worth it's own thread but someone might want to check this neat game out so I'll be posting the videos here.

Episodes
01 - Shrine Below the Forest / Quiet Shore
02 - Blue Light Area
03 - Insect Area Part 1/3
04 - Insect Area Part 2/3
05 - Insect Area Part 3/3
06 - Poison Area Part 1/2
07 - Poison Area Part 2/2

Edit: Watch these low effort, commentary free videos if you like but I'm going to put some more effort into this project and give it it's own thread. Stay tuned if you're interested!

Edit 2: NEW thread! http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3765806&pagenumber=1#lastpost

Sorry to waste your time casual LP thread!

AllisonByProxy fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Feb 25, 2016

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
My friend (cat doter) and I played through realMyst: Masterpiece Edition the other week. We decided to record it.

We kinda skipped through the lore books when we played, so I'll go back and record those as they become relevant. I'll put the notes I took in the lore book videos. (Well, that part didn't happen...) At this point I'm not sure how much I'll edit things down. I'm gonna try to get episodes of this out on Wednesdays. I didn't think this needed its own thread (in fact it'll probably get more traffic here).

Needless to say, this is going to spoil all the puzzles in the game, so go play Myst if you're interested in them (You should be. It's good and also cheap.).

Thanks for hopefully watching!

Episode List: Playlist
Episode 1 - The Stranger
Episode 2 - Groundwork
Episode 2.5 - Channelwood Lore
Episode 3 - Ewok Village
Episode 3.5 - Stoneship Lore
Episode 4 - Rough Waters
Episode 5 - Lost at Sea
Episode 6 - Maestro
Episode 6.5 - Selenitic Lore
Episode 7 - Rocket Man
Episode 8 - Rollercoaster
Episode 9 - Get in Gear
Episode 9.5 - My Personal Hell
Episode 9.75 - Mechanical Lore
Episode 10 - Goose Chase
Episode 11 - A Bit Late
Episode 12 - The End Begins
Episode 13 - Garbage Puzzle
Episode 14 - The Ends

mikeycp fucked around with this message at 19:40 on May 25, 2016

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

AllisonByProxy posted:

Playing old From Software games to kill time before Dark Souls 3 comes out so why not record them for others to enjoy! Let's begin!

Shadow Tower Abyss, the PS2 sequel to the PS1 classic Shadow Tower! This is going to be a low effort LP. No commentary. No editing. The game shall speak for itself. Probably not worth it's own thread but someone might want to check this neat game out so I'll be posting the videos here.

Episodes
01 - Shrine Below the Forest / Silent Shore
02 - Blue Light Area
03 - Insect Area Part 1
04 - Insect Area Part 2
05 - Insect Area Part 3

Edit: Churning these out because this game is too good.

Oh man I wish this was a full high effort LP.
Love the Kings field games and it's like.

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

AllisonByProxy posted:

Episodes
01 - Shrine Below the Forest / Silent Shore
02 - Blue Light Area
03 - Insect Area Part 1
04 - Insect Area Part 2
05 - Insect Area Part 3

Edit: Churning these out because this game is too good.

Holy hell, I'd never seen gameplay of shadow tower before, but it looks loving amazing, I need to find a copy somehow. Can't wait for more vids.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Oh man I wish this was a full high effort LP.
Love the Kings field games and it's like.

Funnily enough I agree with you. I've been having so much fun with this game that I'm considering blowing it out to a full effort LP. Stay tuned.

Edit: NEW THREAD http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3765806&pagenumber=1#lastpost

Xenolalia posted:

Holy hell, I'd never seen gameplay of shadow tower before, but it looks loving amazing, I need to find a copy somehow. Can't wait for more vids.

I'm playing it for the first time and it's a great game. Unfortunately it wasn't ever localized so I'm playing a fan translated version.

AllisonByProxy fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Feb 25, 2016

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
OK, it took me far too long to continue this mess, but I've made two more videos about me failing at Mega Man X2. Today, a short bonus video, tomorrow the real next episode:

Let's Mangle the English Language in Mega Man X 2.

In this episode I start to forget how to speak English

MMX2 Part 01

MMX2 Part 02

MMX2 Part 03

MMX2 Part 04

MMX2 Part 05

MMX2 Part 06 -Bonus Episode-

MMX2 Part 07

:siren: New episode incoming :siren:

MMX2 Part 08 -Bonus Episode II-

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Eh, the video finished early, so what the hell.

:siren: Newer Episode Incoming :siren:

MMX2 Part 09

That's 7 out of 8 rebellious reploids down!

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Well, that's done now. Not a Hero is a really fun game that you should totally consider buying if you happen to love side scrolling shooters with some thinking to them. The fact that I beat the game with a SMG character speaks to the fact that you can do pretty well with most anyone. The fact I didn't throw my controller out a window speaks to the fact that it is fun even when using SMG characters.

You can jump back in after you finish to do more levels and get all the goals per mission, but that's not what this is about, we're here to finish the game in a casual manner, and damnit, that's what we/I did.

Lazyfire fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Mar 1, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Thank you for showing it off, it looks like a pretty fun little game.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
:siren: Time for a new episode of Myst! This time we work on finding a way to another Age.

Episode 2 - Groundwork

---
Episode 1 - The Stranger
Episode 2 - Groundwork

mikeycp fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Mar 2, 2016

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Sorry to double post, but it's time to throw up the next episodes of Myst. This time I have the first lore video too (It's just me reading the books). I hope y'all enjoy.

Episode 3 - Ewok Village

---
Episode 1 - The Stranger
Episode 2 - Groundwork
Episode 3 - Ewok Village

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

He who fights too long against dragons becomes a dragon himself

mikeycp posted:

Sorry to double post, but it's time to throw up the next episodes of Myst. This time I have the first lore video too (It's just me reading the books). I hope y'all enjoy.

I'll take a look at it later if I can get over my Myst PTSD, played it on Mac when it first came out back in the 90s and wanted so badly to like it and just couldn't. :sweatdrop: How's "RealMyst" different from the originals? Actually working on modern hardware?

Anyway, thanks for reminding me this thread existed, I uploaded the next Castlevania videos back on February 20, got sidetracked by ISP problems, and then totally lost track of this. Here we are!

We go to the Coliseum instead of the Chapel this time, and it goes much better. Definitely feels like you're supposed to go up first, I imagine the Coliseum would actually be pretty hard if you actually fight it normally, heh. And as mentioned in the YT description, this thumbnail is purely a gimmick to see how many swords I can fit on screen at a time. :v:
Up All Night to Get Lucky, Let's Stream Symphony of the Night 15

And this is the rest of the level plus the boss fight. I got a tip about what happens if you kill "Sypha" last, definitely glad we did!
'' '' 16

What's so bad about Dawn of Souls, since some of you were talking about that last time? I played the NES 'vanias, SotN, PoR, and Dracula X Chronicles, but those've been it.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Wayne posted:

I'll take a look at it later if I can get over my Myst PTSD, played it on Mac when it first came out back in the 90s and wanted so badly to like it and just couldn't. :sweatdrop: How's "RealMyst" different from the originals? Actually working on modern hardware?

Myst: Masterpiece Edition was a graphical overhaul of the original, and realMyst added free movement, making it more than a point-and-click.

realMyst: Masterpiece Edition is a Unity remake that essentially combines the features from the previous two editions, while also making it run on modern hardware. It also contains an additional age that was actually included back in realMyst. It's...I have feelings about the Ryme Age...

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Wayne posted:

What's so bad about Dawn of Souls, since some of you were talking about that last time? I played the NES 'vanias, SotN, PoR, and Dracula X Chronicles, but those've been it.

Aria of Sorrow was a great game, especially by comparison to the previous GBA Castlevania games. Dawn of Sorrow was Aria 2.0, which meant that while it was still a good game, it didn't really innovate and included a number of obligatory stupid touchscreen gimmicks that caused a fair number of people to judge it harshly by comparison. Attempts to change up and "improve" the tried-and-true mechanics introduced in Aria of Sorrow didn't really get received very well.

Aria of Sorrow is hands down the best of the GBA Castlevanias; it's not really a contest. Of the DS Castlevanias, Order of Ecclesia is generally accepted to be the best of the lot, with Dawn of Sorrow and Portrait of Ruin competing for last place (personally, I'd rate Dawn of Sorrow above Portrait, but I've heard arguments both ways and it's down to personal taste anyway so YMMV). All three are solid, though, unlike either Circle of the Moon or Harmony of Dissonance - neither of them aged well.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Harmony of dissonance is just a terrible game though.

TCat
Oct 10, 2012

I'll save you the time and call myself a loser

Olesh posted:

Aria of Sorrow was a great game, especially by comparison to the previous GBA Castlevania games. Dawn of Sorrow was Aria 2.0, which meant that while it was still a good game, it didn't really innovate and included a number of obligatory stupid touchscreen gimmicks that caused a fair number of people to judge it harshly by comparison. Attempts to change up and "improve" the tried-and-true mechanics introduced in Aria of Sorrow didn't really get received very well.

Aria of Sorrow is hands down the best of the GBA Castlevanias; it's not really a contest. Of the DS Castlevanias, Order of Ecclesia is generally accepted to be the best of the lot, with Dawn of Sorrow and Portrait of Ruin competing for last place (personally, I'd rate Dawn of Sorrow above Portrait, but I've heard arguments both ways and it's down to personal taste anyway so YMMV). All three are solid, though, unlike either Circle of the Moon or Harmony of Dissonance - neither of them aged well.

The only reason Portrait really comes out ahead is because the touch screen gimmick isn't forced on you for every single boss.
Also I will have to disagree, CoM has aged okay because the unique take of it's gimmicks and it's visual style is unique and the gameplay isn't terrible, but HoD is just...I dunno the only good part about that game is my headcanon about how Simon trained Juste by making him arrange furniture, because if you can push a couch by yourself you can kill a Dracula by yourself.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'm gonna chime in on how CoM is still good; it's in fact my favorite GBA 'vania. There's a lot of silly decisions like having to farm cards if you want a more diverse arsenal but its castle design is top-notch - especially compared to AoS and its endless water caves/canals/puzzles.
HoD is just bad, no excusing that one.
Dawn has a pretty cool castle and some of the best music in there (the snowy village and chapel themes come to mind immediately) but the touchscreen gimmick is just godawful; Portrait is solid but unimpressive and OoE is my favorite Castlevania even over SotN - it's kind of amazing how well metroidvanias adapted to the handhelds as a platform.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Mar 11, 2016

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Circle of the Moon: very repetitive level design and overuse of a specific musical track, but otherwise good. Impossibly dark graphics if played on an original GBA.
Harmony of Dissonance: awful graphics, dissonant music isn't to everyones' tastes, weird, floaty movement.
Aria of Sorrow: just generally really solid with a really fun gimmick.

Dawn of Sorrow: incredibly grind-heavy gimmick (souls are something like 5x rarer than they were in Aria), but has a great "alternate character" to play as after you finish the main game
Portrait of Ruin: much better "balanced" than Dawn (read: little to no grinding needed), has just a ton of content, but some of that content gets rather samey.
Order of Ecclesia: comparatively much harder than other portable 'vanias, very linear, but otherwise solid and introduces new enemy types instead of rehashing the same monsters we've already seen in a half-dozen prior games.

My favorites are Aria and Portrait, and least favorites are Harmony and Dawn.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Don't forget that to help deepen the grind Dawn also made it so many (mostly passive?) powers required getting multiples of the same soul to get the full effect. Aria had that with the Head Hunter, but it was a unique gimmick and it didn't matter what extra souls you took, and it made thematic sense.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Don't forget that to help deepen the grind Dawn also made it so many (mostly passive?) powers required getting multiples of the same soul to get the full effect. Aria had that with the Head Hunter, but it was a unique gimmick and it didn't matter what extra souls you took, and it made thematic sense.

Well, this I can't strictly blame Dawn for. For all of the passive stat souls, Aria had different monsters provide varying levels of stats when equipped, so one monster might drop a +4 to a stat, where another monster provided a +8. Dawn standardized it so there was one monster that dropped +STR souls, and more copies of the soul increased the stat buff. By doing it this way in Dawn, it eliminated the redundant aspect of having most of a category of souls just being stat increases where most of the souls in the category were obsoleted by specific, bigger stat-increase souls as it was in Aria.

The bigger issue is the Bullet/Guardian souls combined with the lower drop rates triggering the sunk cost fallacy with regard to reducing the incentive to drop your existing loadout and experiment with weird poo poo you pick up. If the drop rates on Souls were higher, this would be less of an issue. Going for 100% completion is a trap, since the

All in all, it's still a solid game, and I think people are too harsh on it due to the forced touchscreen gimmick that all DS games were basically required to have in some form. It's certainly better than Circle or Harmony, in my opinion, and well worth playing through once, though I wouldn't bother trying to 100% it.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Olesh posted:

Well, this I can't strictly blame Dawn for. For all of the passive stat souls, Aria had different monsters provide varying levels of stats when equipped, so one monster might drop a +4 to a stat, where another monster provided a +8. Dawn standardized it so there was one monster that dropped +STR souls, and more copies of the soul increased the stat buff. By doing it this way in Dawn, it eliminated the redundant aspect of having most of a category of souls just being stat increases where most of the souls in the category were obsoleted by specific, bigger stat-increase souls as it was in Aria.

There's nothing inherently wrong with having equipment (souls) that becomes obsolete with time. You don't complain when your Casual Shirt gets replaced by a Combat Vest, right? And this extends to the non-passive souls, too: it's not like you're going to continue using the Winged Skeleton soul (throws a spear) once you get the Ripper soul (throws a knife), since they do basically the same thing but Ripper is just plain better.

The big problem Dawn's soul-collection system is that you're never "done" grinding for souls. Okay, great, you spent 10+ minutes grinding for this new soul. Now it's level 1 and you'll need to get 8 more copies before it really reaches its potential. They won't really change how it behaves, just make its numbers bigger. Have fun with your lovely new upgrade!

(The marginally-less-big problem is that because souls are so rare, you find very few over the course of normal play, which means you're mostly stuck using the guaranteed drops from bosses instead of the typically more interesting drops from random monsters)

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
And if you DO grind for them, you overlevel and one-shot everything and the game gets boring. Honestly the bonus Yoko / Julius / Alucard mode is the superior game.

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

Everybody posted:

stuff about Castlevania

Got it, thanks. And yeah, Dawn of Sorrows, not Souls. Too much Dark Souls lately I think. :sweatdrop: I liked Portrait of Ruin, but not enough to really want to play more games in the series; it'd have to be something special like SotN was. And it's funny, I did think about getting Ecclesia, but I saw an LP of it and wasn't too keen on the story.

And yeah, I definitely feel you guys on the last couple replies. I remark in an upcoming video that it's really disappointing so many cool weapons and armor are relegated so late in the game when you don't really get a chance to use it. Why not put one of the "wind slashes" katana in the first castle, so the Yatsutsuna feels like a real upgrade when you get it? Instead you farm it and the Masamune from literally adjacent areas. And with the grinding leading up to the finale this Tuesday, I've officially spent more time farming than I have playing to get a copy of most of the unique weapons, and that's with the challenge mode designed around getting those drops.

Time for the end of another stream, where we stomp a mummy (it's so disappointing how little damage that crazy grab does) and dress Alucard like a watermelon.
Up All Night to Get Lucky, Let's Stream Symphony of the Night 17

And starting stream #5. Proving to be a darn fool incapable of learning, I get destroyed by one of the golden sentinel dudes in the gallery again, and decide to take on a more manageable foe: the 50' foot tall maggot-infested demon hung up on meat hooks. Castlevania!
'' '' 18

Trizophenie
Mar 2, 2011

Jar Jar Binks improved my story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZLVEzEd5ro
More Cato Nemoidia
Of course, still contains spoilers for The Force Awakens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

mikeycp posted:

It's...I have feelings about the Ryme Age...

Haven't even heard of that! My dad kept playing them up through Myst... 3? the one after Riven and they changed developers and all that, but he was always more of a glutton for adventure game punishment than I was. :sweatdrop: For what it's worth, I watched the Ewok Village video, and I think you guys could benefit from having some backup "talking points" when you're mulling over puzzles. Like the digression on Scumm games, maybe talk about some of the ones you liked. These kind of games make for very tricky VLPs because they're so slow-paced, that might help keep viewers interested. Just a thought. :shobon:

Speaking of punishment, I handle the game pretty well this time. It's a testament to SotN's amazing music and atmosphere and whatnot that the game is remembered as fondly as it is, when the actual challenge balance is all over the map (literally, you go a couple screens away and the enemies go from 3 digit damage to 1...).

First up, part 2 of the 5th stream, where we go to the Inverted castle's foyer. Would've loved to see the upside-down drawbridge in action! As it is, we still get to experience one of my favorite gimmicks in games like this, where you can turn enemies against each other.
Up All Night to Get Lucky, Let's Stream Symphony of the Night 19

Ah, SotN, much like Persona 3 and Dragon's Dogma where Death is a random encounter. Well, I guess it might be a nice mythological touch he's in the same room where you fought Cerberus? Either way, we're lucky he's a Vancian caster and hasn't re-prepared his "take all your stuff away" spell. :v:
'' '' 20