Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Dr Cheeto posted:

I'm a big dumb moron who can't understand why managing regional branches this way would get those games into new markets, can you elaborate?

NOE decided to localise the games when NOA didn't, I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Junpei Hyde posted:

NOE decided to localise the games when NOA didn't, I guess?

I'm not really sure how that would have suddenly not happened if people in the US were allowed to import the EU release, or vice versa.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I'm not really sure how that would have suddenly not happened if people in the US were allowed to import the EU release, or vice versa.

Yeah I don't necesarily agree with it, I just assume that was their reasoning.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dr Cheeto posted:

I'm a big dumb moron who can't understand why managing regional branches this way would get those games into new markets, can you elaborate?

Branches of most companies like, say, Ubisoft or Sony are all just parts of one big whole and following orders from on high. When you buy a copy of the new Assassin's Creed anywhere in the world, it's a sale for Ubisoft as a whole. Nintendo's branches, however, have a degree of autonomy, and can set their own policies and projects. Sales go to the branches as well, which is why Nintendo of Europe can do their own localization projects like the "Rainfall" games - they're paying out of their own pocket/warchest.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Saoshyant posted:

I tried it a few days ago, but it's not a good representation of the actual game since it's just the game's intro.

I thought the game had kind of a slow intro with a lot of fights that were either tutorial or exposition where you can't lose. After that it gets really good but the demo probably doesn't go deep enough to get to the good stuff.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
I don't care about any of this localization crap except for what son of a bitch is keeping me from playing Style Savvy 3

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

The rear end Stooge posted:

I don't care about any of this localization crap except for what son of a bitch is keeping me from playing Style Savvy 3

It's me. I bought all of the copies. The only way to get the game is to give me Fire Emblem.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Actually those policies are the reason games like Xenoblade Chronicles and Disaster: Day of Crisis get out of Japan at all.

Ah one good game on a largely dead console, guess it's all right after all to leave a big rear end market hanging.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Ah one good game on a largely dead console, guess it's all right after all to leave a big rear end market hanging.

I'm sorry but FE Fates doesn't have much in the way of big asses.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Junpei Hyde posted:

Well then what even is the loving point?!?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Junpei Hyde posted:

I was led to believe Tharja would be there???

Who is the new yandare underling? Adopted sister?

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

deadly_pudding posted:

I was led to believe Tharja would be there???

Who is the new yandare underling? Adopted sister?

Yes and yes, but rear end levels are still insufficient.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZw9om_Ny5c

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Josuke Higashikata posted:

What "largely dead console" are we talking about?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The Wii, simmer down Jivjov

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Sakurazuka posted:

The Wii, simmer down Jivjov

Isn't the Wii the most successful Nintendo home console ever?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

jivjov posted:

Jivjov pls :saddowns:

The wii itself sold like a jillion units, yeah, but nobody bought any games for it. They all just played Wii Bowling.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Where are you going with this?

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

jivjov posted:

"Successful" and "dead" aren't mutually exclusive. Sony sold like infinity PS2s but nobody's making games for it anymore.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

jivjov posted:

The console is. The games on it sell like poo poo though.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

The point he was making was that by the time Xenoblade was localised, there were very few games being released for the Wii.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Pretty sure he meant Disaster: Day of Crisis.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Xenoblade also has really niche appeal and wasn't going to be a massive system seller, nor would it motivate all those families that only thought the Wii was a sports simulation machine to go out and use their video game machine to play more video games.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

jivjov do you have any strong opinions on the anime series Gurren Lagann and GaoGaiGar?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Sakurazuka posted:

jivjov do you have any strong opinions on the anime series Gurren Lagann and GaoGaiGar?

Hey, no need to go that far.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Why does every games thread turn into an anime thread?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Why do people keep saying that the Wii was a commercial failure when it not only sold gangbusters but also had a high attach rate?

Is it because those games don't contain enough hardcores?

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

SelenicMartian posted:

The console is. The games on it sell like poo poo though.

This isn't even remotely true.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I'm hopelessly addicted to Fire Emblem. I didn't realize these games were so fun.

I'm astonished that the pairing up and relationship system is only a recent addition to the series. I guess before that you spent your time just grinding classes and weapon levels? What are some other top tier games in the series?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I thought the Wii had the exact opposite of a high attach rate, where tons of people bought the Wii but nothing else for the system.

Edit:

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I'm hopelessly addicted to Fire Emblem. I didn't realize these games were so fun.

I'm astonished that the pairing up and relationship system is only a recent addition to the series. I guess before that you spent your time just grinding classes and weapon levels? What are some other top tier games in the series?

7, 9 and 12 are really solid, and 8, 10 and 13 aren't too bad either, assuming you've come aboard starting with Fates.

Double Edit: To clarify, after Fates, I'd say moving on to 7, 9 or 12 aren't bad ideas and then going to the other 3 would be good if you really want more. 8 and 13 are more introductory games and are a bit on the easier side, but you've already had an introduction via Fates, so I wouldn't really recommend them ASAP after that game. 10 you should play after you're a lot more familiar with the series and not before 9 because 10 is a direct sequel to that one.

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Feb 23, 2016

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Nah supports have existed in some form since the SNES, the child mechanics first showed up in Genealogy of the Holy War which was 1996 I think? Both GBA fire emblems and Path of Radiance are good amongst the english games.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

ChaosArgate posted:

I thought the Wii had the exact opposite of a high attach rate, where tons of people bought the Wii but nothing else for the system.

No, it had a really high attach rate, especially when you consider that Nintendo included Wii Sports into their overall hardware/software attach rate, which means Wii Sports coming with every console skewed the ratio. People bought a lot of Wii games.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Louisgod posted:

No, it had a really high attach rate, especially when you consider that Nintendo included Wii Sports into their overall hardware/software attach rate, which means Wii Sports coming with every console skewed the ratio. People bought a lot of Wii games.

More specifically, they bought a lot of Nintendo games. Third parties sold jack poo poo on the wii.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Andrast posted:

More specifically, they bought a lot of Nintendo games. Third parties sold jack poo poo on the wii.

Really doubtful considering there are hundreds if not at least a thousand titles of shovelware titles on the Wii.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

The Wii was a commercial success in every way. The idea it had a really low attach rate or whatever is misinformation spread by people with a weird grudge against its success.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Wii had a pretty high attach rate (I can't remember the exact number but it was over 10) meaning that people were buying lots of games. It's just that a lot of it was probably forgettable mass market schlock that ended up in the trash or cheap garage sale lots. But that probably isn't any different from most systems so

Edit: lol don't know where I got the over 10 number from, guess I remembered wrong but 8-9 is still pretty good

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Huh, yeah I stand corrected about Wii Sports. http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/01/29/these-are-nintendos-lifetime-hardware-and-software-numbers

Wii's attach rate was comparable to that of the NES.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Gutcruncher posted:

Why do people keep saying that the Wii was a commercial failure when it not only sold gangbusters but also had a high attach rate?

Is it because those games don't contain enough hardcores?

nobody said the wii was a commercial failure

ChaosArgate posted:

7, 9 and 12 are really solid, and 8, 10 and 13 aren't too bad either, assuming you've come aboard starting with Fates.

Double Edit: To clarify, after Fates, I'd say moving on to 7, 9 or 12 aren't bad ideas and then going to the other 3 would be good if you really want more. 8 and 13 are more introductory games and are a bit on the easier side, but you've already had an introduction via Fates, so I wouldn't really recommend them ASAP after that game. 10 you should play after you're a lot more familiar with the series and not before 9 because 10 is a direct sequel to that one.

it's worth noting that 12, while well regarded, never left Japan. there's an english patch but that takes effort and stuff

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Dr Cheeto posted:

Why does every games thread turn into an anime thread?

Because the console games industry was born in Japan and even today a huge number of games are Japanese.

Next we can debate on the meaning of Anime for 5 pages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Sakurazuka posted:

Haven't even heard of that second one, but I watched a bit of Gurren Lagann and thought it was over the top in a really fun way.