Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Toasticle posted:

.... He reached into his pocket, handed over his wallet then asked us what's in it that's worth either dying or killing for. Which in one of D&D gunchats made me a pussy of course.

A laaaarge portion of TFR advocates exactly this. Folks in the carry thread routinely reiterate that carrying a weapon increases the amount of patience and forbearance you're morally and legally obligated to show.

There's folks who'd call you a pussy, and admittedly some of them would actually mean it. But there's a reason the de facto gun politics thread used to be titled "retard swamp" and later "PCOS Bill."

I really don't want to prolong a gun derail but it's really frustrating for a thread about a bunch of sovereign citizens to descend into petty tribalism and start treating outgroups like totally homogenous, monolithic hiveminds with absolutely no signs of self awareness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
The only thing more boring than my posts is gunchat.

This article isn't great (the source is far from neutral), but it outlines the currently known relationship between the American Lands Council and the occupiers. One of the local news stations is planning to release an audio recording indicating further collaboration later today. next week- it was pushed back.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Feb 23, 2016

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

atomicthumbs posted:

people who own a firearm are way much more likely to be shot with their own gun than people who don't

Guns everywhere means exponentially more deaths from accidents, suicides, young kids getting at the guns, domestic violence, etc. etc. etc. than the minuscule number of cases where the gun is actually used for defence in the fabled home invasion scenario where the heroic gun owner gets to be john wayne. But every single gun owner thinks "well all that bad stuff happens with other, dumb people, I'm not going to be one of the dumb people who uses a gun irresponsibly, so it's all upside for me."

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

botany posted:

I realize it doesn't have any basis in actual science in the first place, but we've known since the 70s that the whole "alpha wolf" concept is a myth based on shoddy research. The fact that this hasn't trickled down into public consciousness says a lot about public science education.

In wolves. It does happen in primates.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

stubblyhead posted:

Some interesting tweets from John Sepulvado today:

https://twitter.com/JohnLGC/status/700504135909552128

https://twitter.com/JohnLGC/status/700504443398172672

So stay tuned to OPB on Monday I guess? COWS is the Coalition of Western States, which he describes as an organization started around the same time as the 2014 standoff on the Bundy ranch. He also says they won't be releasing the audio in order to protect the source, but it wasn't clear to me if that means they're not releasing it right now, or ever.

Correction to my earlier post: the article was delayed to next week:

https://twitter.com/JohnLGC/status/701833733133828096

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

Talmonis posted:

The Donald Trump thread is rife with his supporters who will refer to people as "betas". It's pretty surreal.

Let's pretend, for a second, that the "alpha male" theory of wolf pack organization is applicable to the situation in any way.

Wouldn't a "beta" be, like, the second-highest* ranking wolf in the pack? (Or I guess the third, if there's an alpha male and an alpha female.) "Second-best" isn't really a compliment, but it's not much of an insult either. You're either the alpha's closest rival or you're his right-hand man.

The real insult should be "omega male," someone at the very bottom of the totem pole. But I can't recall ever seeing that phrase used in this context. Maybe "omega" sounds too cool?

Alien Arcana fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Feb 23, 2016

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Someday we will be as good as the beasts of the earth.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Alien Arcana posted:

Let's pretend, for a second, that the "alpha male" theory of wolf pack organization is applicable to the situation in any way.

Wouldn't a "beta" be, like, the second-highest* ranking wolf in the pack? (Or I guess the third, if there's an alpha male and an alpha female.) "Second-best" isn't really a compliment, but it's not much of an insult either. You're either the alpha's closest rival or you're his right-hand man.

The real insult should be "omega male," someone at the very bottom of the totem pole. But I can't recall ever seeing that phrase used in this context. Maybe "omega" sounds too cool?

No, because the theory* has the existence of two types - Alphas and Betas. Alphas are in charge, Betas aren't.

*Which is not true at all for wolves but is for many primates, whether or not any part of it applies to humans is another story entirely

Perfectly Safe
May 30, 2003

no danger here.

Alien Arcana posted:

Well, we're talking about people who see themselves as a collective group of alphas. We're not talking the sharpest knives in the drawer here.(1)

(1) Of course, anyone who knows anything about knife ethology will tell you that there's only one sharp "alpha", knife in the drawer. The rest of the cutting knives are "betas" and are forbidden from self-describing as "sharp" - they're only good for butter and soft cheese. Some knives are so ostracised that they're consigned to "epsilon" status, which is slightly below an egg whisk in drawer politics.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Alien Arcana posted:

Wouldn't a "beta" be, like, the second-highest* ranking wolf in the pack? "Second-best" isn't really a compliment, but it's not much of an insult either. You're either the alpha's closest rival or you're his right-hand man.
Second Place is first loser, brah!

The ALPHA gets to rut with all the ladies. The betacucks get to stick their pole into his slimy seconds. :v:

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I saw a nature show where crabs picked up stinging anenomes to walk around with and bully other sealife and be assholes. So basically Malheur has a natural precedent.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I saw a nature show where crabs picked up stinging anenomes to walk around with and bully other sealife and be assholes. So basically Malheur has a natural precedent.
And thus, the Crab Bully talking point was born.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Alien Arcana posted:

I think they are referring to alphas and betas in the Pick Up Artist sense moreso than the animal-behavioral sense since the former is a severely warped and twisted view of the latter. Essentially in their mind's eye the Alphas are essentially confident forward people who push their agenda with gusto (Trump and his 'winners', mostly loud obnoxious assholes) whereas anyone who's not 'that' is essentially a beta and a looser in the Trump-O-Shpere.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

Alien Arcana posted:

I did see 'zeta'. You're assuming that the kind of person who talks about alpha males knows the order of letters in the Greek alphabet. This is a dangerous and unfounded assumption.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Perfectly Safe posted:

Well, we're talking about people who see themselves as a collective group of alphas. We're not talking the sharpest knives in the drawer here.(1)

(1) Of course, anyone who knows anything about knife ethology will tell you that there's only one sharp "alpha", knife in the drawer. The rest of the cutting knives are "betas" and are forbidden from self-describing as "sharp" - they're only good for butter and soft cheese. Some knives are so ostracised that they're consigned to "epsilon" status, which is slightly below an egg whisk in drawer politics.

Also that the whole alpha/beta wolves thing was eventually found to be a misunderstanding. When talking about wolves, a more correct term for "alpha" would be "dad," and the "betas" are "children." Wolf packs are family groups.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Cythereal posted:

Also that the whole alpha/beta wolves thing was eventually found to be a misunderstanding. When talking about wolves, a more correct term for "alpha" would be "dad," and the "betas" are "children." Wolf packs are family groups.

OK, seriously, Alphas are still a thing, just not in wolves specifically. The biological concept is still out there:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha_(ethology)

There are tons of animals where only one male in the group gets to mate.

edit: And again, this is me taking no position on how this applies to humans. PUA weirdos are still wrong, but they aren't disproven by the pseudo-recent information about wolves

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

Cythereal posted:

IIRC the original study was conducted by taking a bunch of random wolves from the wild and putting them in a pen together. A social hierarchy developed that was based mostly on the wolves' ability to beat each other up. The problem was that the scientists decided this was "the way wolves are" without ever considering how artificial the whole setup was - like trying to build a theory of psychology based entirely off of prison documentaries.

DeathSandwich posted:

I think they are referring to alphas and betas in the Pick Up Artist sense moreso than the animal-behavioral sense since the former is a severely warped and twisted view of the latter. Essentially in their mind's eye the Alphas are essentially confident forward people who push their agenda with gusto (Trump and his 'winners', mostly loud obnoxious assholes) whereas anyone who's not 'that' is essentially a beta and a looser in the Trump-O-Shpere.

Well, yeah. The "alpha/beta" language as used in politics ("alphas" are strong manly leaders, "betas" are spineless wimps) is a reference to PUA terminology (aggressive "alphas" get all the ladies, passive "betas" are left with slim pickings), which is a misunderstanding of the original wolf-pack theory ("alphas" are the most dominant wolves, "betas" are next beneath them, and so forth), which was itself a misunderstanding of how wolf packs normally operate. It's a telephone game of misplaced sexual frustration.

meristem posted:

I did see 'zeta'. You're assuming that the kind of person who talks about alpha males knows the order of letters in the Greek alphabet. This is a dangerous and unfounded assumption.

This is also a good point.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc
Either I'm on somebody's ignore list or somebody's illiterate

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

theflyingorc posted:

OK, seriously, Alphas are still a thing, just not in wolves specifically. The biological concept is still out there:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha_(ethology)

There are tons of animals where only one male in the group gets to mate.

edit: And again, this is me taking no position on how this applies to humans. PUA weirdos are still wrong, but they aren't disproven by the pseudo-recent information about wolves

theflyingorc posted:

Either I'm on somebody's ignore list or somebody's illiterate

Why not both?

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Discendo Vox posted:

Why not both?

You bastard, two minute turn around on that joke just isn't fair.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

xrunner posted:

What a well trained militia. I mean, accidents happen and all, but I spent four years in the Army, including a year in an active combat zone as well as plenty of trips out to the range. Cumulatively, I was in the vicinity of probably tens of thousands of rifles getting cleared and I never witnessed an accidental discharge.

I've seen one, but it was because my dad decided to play cowboy and forgot to release the securing strap on the holster. Fortunately no one was hurt.

"accidental discharge" is normally code for "I was stupid and did something moronic"

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

theflyingorc posted:

In wolves. It does happen in primates.

That's true, but the popular concept of the alpha male almost certainly refers to wolves, not just because the term originated with Schenkel's study on wolves in 1947, but also because the term "alpha wolf" gets thrown around a lot in popular culture. Also comparing yourself to a wolf sounds cooler than comparing yourself to a chimpanzee :v:

Alien Arcana posted:

IIRC the original study was conducted by taking a bunch of random wolves from the wild and putting them in a pen together. A social hierarchy developed that was based mostly on the wolves' ability to beat each other up. The problem was that the scientists decided this was "the way wolves are" without ever considering how artificial the whole setup was - like trying to build a theory of psychology based entirely off of prison documentaries.

:siren: derail, don't read unless you're interested in this sort of thing :siren:

Not quite, but almost correct. The study that created the concept of alphas was Rudolf Schenkel's landmark study "Expression Studies on Wolves", published 1947, based on observations on two wolf packs in the Basle Zoo (Switzerland) starting in 1934. Schenkel observed two wolf packs successively, both in the same enclosure of about 200 square meters. The idea behind his studies was extremely smart: Up to that point, wolves had been extensively studied, but the concepts that had been created by zoologists were based on individual behaviour (imprinting, displaying, threatening), not social behaviour. Schenkel set out to study wolves as social animals.

(The original paper is very readable and you can find it online, by the way. If you're interested in this stuff, I encourage you to read it.)

In any case, he observed that

quote:

a bitch and a dog as top animals carry through their rank order and as single individuals of the society, they form a pair. Between them there is no question of status and argument concerning rank, even though small frictions of another type (jealousy) are not uncommon. By incessant control of all types of competition (within the same sex), both of these "alpha animals" defend their social position. (p. 87)

That paper right there is where we get the term "alpha" from. From this study is was then imported into ethology (the study of animal behaviour) at large. The problem: Schenkel observed wolves that were confined to 200 sqm. For comparison, the smallest known wolf pack in the wild has occupied a territory of ~33 square kilometers, the largest known wolf territory is around 6200 sqkm. Wolves, as it turns out, who are forced to live in unnatural environments, develop unnatural behavioural tendencies. In the wild, wolf packs have a parent unit and offspring. At some point, the offspring founds their own packs, at which point they become parent wolves themselves. There is no alpha / beta distinction because there is no competition -- once the pups are old enough to leave the pack, they automatically become "alphas", i.e., parent wolves.

The subtitle to Schenkel's study, interestingly, is "Captivity Observations", and Schenkel was acutely aware that captivity might cause some irregular behaviour. He just didn't think this sort of behaviour was abnormal. Why that is, and why it took us 30 more years to realize there was a fault in the original study, is another question that I won't bother you with, unless somebody really wants to hear me talk more about science gone wrong :v:

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

CannonFodder posted:

Or the 4 year old pulls the pistol out of his dad's holster and sends a round through dad's middle, killing him.

I went to a high school that had gun safety as a week course in PE. Treat every gun as if it is loaded. Do not point the gun at anything you are not ready to destroy. Do not put finger on the trigger until ready to fire. Be aware of the target, above the target, to the sides of the target, and behind the target.

I suggested there should be something like this along the lines of driver's ed. Man, you shoulda seen the shitstorm about "teaching kids to worship guns".

Pixelboy posted:

(15 seconds of search)

http://www.courthousenews.com/2016/02/02/bundy-locked-down-but-henchmen-make-bail.htm

It's adorable that he thinks that he had a chance. :)

He's just a pussy and now he's desperately trying to cower to the powers that be because he got bitch slapped by reality. Sorry fuckstick, you stepped over the line one too many times now.

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Feb 23, 2016

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

xrunner posted:

What a well trained militia. I mean, accidents happen and all, but I spent four years in the Army, including a year in an active combat zone as well as plenty of trips out to the range. Cumulatively, I was in the vicinity of probably tens of thousands of rifles getting cleared and I never witnessed an accidental discharge.

Eh I've been in the presence of one in country and one in training with blanks.

The one in country I have no idea what happened because it was outside the wire and no one was hurt so everyone pretended like it never happened.

The one in training was actually a true AD. M249 with a worn sear discharged when our truck hit a bad pothole and barrel thumped the floor.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

theflyingorc posted:

No, because the theory* has the existence of two types - Alphas and Betas. Alphas are in charge, Betas aren't.

*Which is not true at all for wolves but is for many primates, whether or not any part of it applies to humans is another story entirely

Well, bonobos have (slightly) matriarchal, minimal-conflict social groups and resolve conflicts with pansexual loving, but how much of that applies to humans is also another story.

E: Drawing inferences about human social behaviour from other mammals is basically :biotruths:.

Lead out in cuffs fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Feb 23, 2016

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009

atomicthumbs posted:

people who own a firearm are way much more likely to be shot with their own gun than people who don't
Yes well what happens when you multiply by 0?

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

NathanScottPhillips posted:

Yes well what happens when you multiply by 0?

Agreed that reducing the amount of guns in America is a good idea.

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009

Radbot posted:

Agreed that reducing the amount of guns in America is a good idea.
You must be in favor of reducing the amount of cars to 0 as well. Car owners are 1000x times more likely to die than bus riders.

Geostomp posted:

Which is what the real problem with the gun debate in the country comes down to: large numbers of childish adults demanding to keep their hobby of handling deadly weapons. Sure, you get all kinds of platitiudes of defense and freedom, but what it all comes down to is people demanding that they get to keep playing with their toys no matter how dangerous they are. It's the antithesis of responsibility.
Is it a hobby or is it a constitutional right needed to guarantee the security of our state?

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

You must be in favor of reducing the amount of cars to 0 as well. Car owners are 1000x times more likely to die than bus riders.

Is it a hobby or is it a constitutional right needed to guarantee the security of our state?

Please fuckoff back to TFR with this poo poo.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

gunfetishists waxing poetic about how the only thing in their life that makes them feel like a real man is actually selflessly protecting are freedoms in this thread is especially ironic

which part of the poo poo trench is yours, if i may ask

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009

Talmonis posted:

Please fuckoff back to TFR with this poo poo.
I didn't start it.

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009

evilweasel posted:

gunfetishists waxing poetic about how the only thing in their life that makes them feel like a real man is actually selflessly protecting are freedoms in this thread is especially ironic

which part of the poo poo trench is yours, if i may ask
Close the thread when your arguments get destroyed.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Good thing we clamped down on that bailchat otherwise we would have missed this awesome gunchat and "man bros are so bad" circlejerk

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

I didn't start it.

what is your rank in the New American Revolutionary Army

are you all generals, or did some of you have the humility to only appoint yourselves a colonel

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

I didn't start it.

Luckily this forum doesn't have a stand your ground rule, so you can retreat to safety now thanks.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

I agree that guns should be as well-regulated as cars, including license, registration, insurance etc.

quote:

Very clearly a hobby.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Eliminating the need for personal vehicles would be a gigantic net benefit to the individual, society, and the world. :wow:

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

evilweasel posted:

what is your rank in the New American Revolutionary Army

are you all generals, or did some of you have the humility to only appoint yourselves a colonel

Al! posted:

Luckily this forum doesn't have a stand your ground rule, so you can retreat to safety now thanks.

What is this low effort bullshit, we've had a solid page of people circle-jerking about how stupid gun-owners are but one gun owner comes in and argues differently and the only response is "GTFO"?

This is turning back into the bad old days of D&D

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Agreed. Cars are terrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009

botany posted:

I agree that guns should be as well-regulated as cars, including license, registration, insurance etc.
And yet, the very few times when I've been involved in collisions, I've been rear-ended by an uninsured driver. Also driving is not a right. Asking that the press register, be licensed, etc is more in line with your thinking.

quote:

Very clearly a hobby.
More clearly a constitutional right.

• Locked thread