Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Paladinus posted:

Poe is handsome and he pilots space planes well. That's his character.
Phasma is evil??? And bossy??? And that's her character.

I'm glad they've accounted for fans' reaction, because those characters need some development.

But Phasma is CHROME.

Poe is the new Han.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

veedubfreak posted:

But Phasma is CHROME.

Yeah, where are all these Phasma action figures? Cause I've been looking.

And obviously you have to wait for the second movie before the "new Boba Fett" can leave her mark.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Kylo Ren rules, actually, but he's not "cool" in a marketing sense like Boba Fett or Vader. He's still a better character than Fett and Vader in A New Hope.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Yeah, where are all these Phasma action figures? Cause I've been looking.

And obviously you have to wait for the second movie before the "new Boba Fett" can leave her mark.

There were dozens of Phasmas at the Disney store last time I was there. Kylos, Finns, and Poes too. But not one single Rey.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Yeah, the marketing people majorly blundered with TFA. They were looking at what characters were popular with the adult fans after decades of watching the films, not who were the big identifiable fan favorites when the movies actually came out (you know, the mainstream good guys).

I actually got a pair of pajama pants for xmas with Phasma and the flame trooper on them. They're fleece and warm af so I wear them all the time.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I watched TFA thrice, and I had to google who Phasma was.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
The stormtrooper who shouts "traitor!" and fights Finn with the anti-Jedi baton is the real Boba Fett of the movie.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I really want to believe that this is canon.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Cool design and gets chumped basically off screen? That's the new Boba Fett alright. Especially if they only flesh out her character in books and comics.

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Cool design and gets chumped basically off screen? That's the new Boba Fett alright. Especially if they only flesh out her character in books and comics.

Well she's listed in the IMDB for episode 8, so maybe she somehow survived being thrown into a garbage chute on an exploding planet.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Paladinus posted:

Phasma is evil??? And bossy??? And that's her character.

The best storm trooper ever and a personal guard to a powerful sith

three lines of dialog and instantly overwhelmed and overpowered by a teen sticklord, an old man, a terrible turncoat storm trooper and a wookie.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
I heard the real reason there aren't many Rey toys is because they were delayed to later waves, so she could be bundled with her lightsaber without spoiling that its hers.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

spoiler: a character in a star wars movie uses a lightsaber(!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Alaois posted:

spoiler: a character in a star wars movie uses a lightsaber(!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

MY IMMERSION!
:qq:

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

kalstrams posted:

I watched TFA thrice, and I had to google who Phasma was.

I only knew it because she is a character I got in some game on my phone.

Also, lol at seeing TFA 3 times. TFA was :mediocre: at best.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

The premier was in Russian, so I went a few days later to watch it with voices that have emotions. Then a month or so later watched a camrip during the dinner because that was a really slow day. Also it is a really good movie, but this is not the place to discuss it, neither in particular nor in general.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Elfface posted:

I heard the real reason there aren't many Rey toys is because they were delayed to later waves, so she could be bundled with her lightsaber without spoiling that its hers.

This theory doesn't hold up in light of the fact that Luke had different versions for different outfits he wore in the original trilogy: Tattooine Luke, X-Wing Luke, Jedi Luke, etc etc. So they could have easily done a version of Rey without a saber because movie reasons.

Pretty sure they just (erroneously) thought A- action figure buying nerdboys wouldn't give a poo poo about a female lead character and B - girls don't like science fiction (or buy nerd toys) and that's it.

So simple stupidity/sexism, basically.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

HaB posted:

This theory doesn't hold up in light of the fact that Luke had different versions for different outfits he wore in the original trilogy: Tattooine Luke, X-Wing Luke, Jedi Luke, etc etc. So they could have easily done a version of Rey without a saber because movie reasons.

Pretty sure they just (erroneously) thought A- action figure buying nerdboys wouldn't give a poo poo about a female lead character and B - girls don't like science fiction (or buy nerd toys) and that's it.

So simple stupidity/sexism, basically.

market segmentation

dini interview on young justice posted:

DINI: “But then, there’s been this weird—there’s been a, a sudden trend in animation, with super-heroes. Like, ‘it’s too old. It’s too old for our audience, and it has to be younger. It has to be funnier.’ And that’s when I watch the first couple of episodes of Teen Titans Go!, it’s like those are the wacky moments in the Teen Titans cartoon, without any of the more serious moments. ‘Let’s just do them all fighting over pizza, or running around crazy and everything, ’cause our audience—the audience we wanna go after, is not the Young Justice audience any more. We wanna go after little kids, who are into—boys who are into goofy humor, goofy random humor, like on Adventure Time or Regular Show. We wanna do that goofy, that sense of humor, that’s where we’re going for.’”

DINI: “They’re all for boys ’we do not want the girls’, I mean, I’ve heard executives say this, you know, not where I am, but at other places, saying like, ‘We do not want girls watching this show.”
SMITH: “WHY? That’s 51% of the population.”
DINI: “They. Do. Not. Buy. Toys. The girls buy different toys. The girls may watch the show—”
SMITH: “So you can sell them T-shirts if they don’t—A: I disagree, I think girls buy toys as well, I mean not as many as f***ing boys do, but, B: sell them something else, man! Don’t be lazy and be like, ‘well I can’t sell a girl a toy.’ Sell ‘em a T-shirt, man, sell them f***ing umbrella with the f***ing character on it, something like that. But if it’s not a toy, there’s something else you could sell ‘em! Like, just because you can’t figure out your job, don’t kill chances of, like, something that’s gonna reach an audi—that’s just so self-defeating, when people go, like… these are the same fuckers who go, like, ‘Oh, girls don’t read comics, girls aren’t into comics.’ It’s all self-fulfilling prophecies. They just make it that way, by going like, ‘I can’t sell ‘em a toy, what’s the point?’
DINI: “That’s the thing, you know I hate being Mr. Sour Grapes here, but I’ll just lay it on the line: that’s the thing that got us cancelled on Tower Prep, honest-to-God was, it’s like, ‘we need boys, but we need girls right there, right one step behind the boys’—this is the network talking—’one step behind the boys, not as smart as the boys, not as interesting as the boys, but right there.’ And then we began writing stories that got into the two girls’ back stories, and they were really interesting. And suddenly we had families and girls watching, and girls really became a big part of our audience, in sort of like they picked up that Harry Potter type of serialized way, which is what The Batman and [indistinct]’s really gonna kill. But, the Cartoon Network was saying, ‘F***, no, we want the boys’ action, it’s boys’ action, this goofy boy humor we’ve gotta get that in there. And we can’t—’ and I’d say, but look at the numbers, we’ve got parents watching, with the families, and then when you break it down—’Yeah, but the—so many—we’ve got too many girls. We need more boys.’”
SMITH: “That’s heart-breaking.”
DINI: “And then that’s why they cancelled us, and they put on a show called Level Up, which is, you know, goofy nerds fighting CG monsters. It’s like, ‘We don’t want the girls because the girls won’t buy toys.’ We had a whole, a merchandise line for Tower Prep that they s***canned before it ever got off the launching pad, because it’s like, ‘Boys, boys, boys. Boys buy the little spinny tops, they buy the action figures, girls buy princesses, we’re not selling princesses.’”

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
C'mon guys, I read this thread so I can jerk it to sideboob and underbun. Take it to Cinema Discusso and gimme some busty cosplay

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

C'mon guys, I read this thread so I can jerk it to sideboob and underbun. Take it to Cinema Discusso and gimme some busty cosplay

i got you bro

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I jerk it to bad posts.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

FINE.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
FINALLY after 6 years I am getting my $10 worth

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

I'm still mad that Jade wasn't in MKX.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

VendaGoat posted:

I jerk it to bad posts.

Hey man, everybody masturbates.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

kirbysuperstar posted:

:gizz:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Keystoned
Jan 27, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

I accidently bought this when potty training my son.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

man, this looks like Pavel - but I've never seen him with body hair so it's probably some other giant sexy man

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

That Forrest looks familiar...

(???)

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
They DID make Rey toys. They just sold out really fast.

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.

Some Numbers posted:

The stormtrooper who shouts "traitor!" and fights Finn with the anti-Jedi baton is the real Boba Fett of the movie.

TR-8R. He died for our spins.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

grumplestiltzkin posted:

TR-8R. He died for our spins.

His official name is FN-2199 I believe. You'd think with dumb "wordplay" names like Grievous and Plagueis TR-8R would be a slam dunk.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

hiddenriverninja posted:

His official name is FN-2199 I believe. You'd think with dumb "wordplay" names like Grievous and Plagueis TR-8R would be a slam dunk.

Given that Disney go rid of the EU entirely , they probably want to stay away from stuff like that nowadays.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

DoctorWhat posted:

They DID make Rey toys. They just sold out really fast.

Several people who worked for Marvel and Disney were vocal in their complaints about the lack of toys feature the women characters in both Force Awakens and Avengers 2. It's safe to say Disney's higher ups neglected the market for their own reasons.

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

experienceBeej
Mar 24, 2014

Nice to Jeb keeping busy after stepping out of the race.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Trast posted:

Several people who worked for Marvel and Disney were vocal in their complaints about the lack of toys feature the women characters in both Force Awakens and Avengers 2. It's safe to say Disney's higher ups neglected the market for their own reasons.

Disney don't control what toys and in what volume Hasbro make, they can only say "no you can't make this" basically.

Toy contracts are no loving joke.

• Locked thread