Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Brannock posted:

Did Trump seriously slam Kobe beef? :wtc:

This has serious implications.

Apparently it's just the beef that they couldn't sell in Japan, and then they send it over here when it starts to rot, jack up the price, and call it "Kobe" to trick gullible Americans into paying through the nose for it. Come up with jokes about how Trump likes his steaks well done, or about Trump steaks, at your leisure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

The Saurus posted:

Let's also remember that Trump is pro-union.

Unless their members work in his hotels.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007
I could never support a candidate who liked their steaks well done.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Xenophon posted:

--On Presbyterians: "There aren't too many left. Where are my Presbyterians?"

Ha, he's talking like they're an endangered species. Maybe they should get more sacraments. - :catholic::smug:

Xenophon posted:

--On Guantanamo Bay: "We're gonna keep Gitmo open, and trust me, we're gonna load it up with some bad dudes. Load it up!"

This isn't the first time I've noticed Trump use the phrase "Bad Dudes" to describe terrorists. I hope he never stops.

Xenophon posted:

--On Jeb Bush: "I did call him to wish him the best. He didn't take my call. That's not nice!"

If true, Jeb was probably afraid Trump was just going to rub it in. He may have even been roght!

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Almost no "Kobe" sold in the US is authentic, as for it being a devious oriental plot to unload tainted meat I'm skeptical. It's usually just domestic beef, sometimes Wagyu sometimes not

e: only tiny amounts of foreign beef are imported to the US due to FDA restrictions. Unless you're eating at some absurd world class cosmopolitan restaurant its not from Japan.

walgreenslatino fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Feb 23, 2016

Prof. Lurker
Mar 10, 2015

I've got the fire of human liberty!

I'm setting fires everywhere!

And humans are turning on everywhere!
https://twitter.com/PatrickRuffini/status/702212915600949249

Look at that #marcomentum

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

:eyepop:

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty

lol

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fiction posted:

Cruz getting the nom doesn't disturb me because he has the charisma of Nixon and much less political acumen. For all people like to think that Trump would get destroyed in the general, Cruz could very well be a Reagan-level bloodbath in the general.

None of the people currently up for the nomination could hack it in the general. Rubio literally melts under the slightest pressure (when he bothers to actually try), Cruz is literally satan, and Trump is figuratively Hitler.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Patter Song posted:

Evangelical Christians, especially old women. There are other groups that enthusiastically contribute manpower to the GOP, especially Mormons out west, but Evangelicals are the safest bet for your GOP groundgame volunteering needs.

when i early voted, some old women outside the polling station asked who i was gonna vote for. when i responded trump, they got real frazzled and started in with "dont you know hes for abortion unlike ted cruz" and etc.

i said yea well the trump campaign headquarters downtown is promising a steak dinner for every trump vote.

they believed my lie i think

Donald Trump
Jan 31, 2016

by exmarx
Together we are going to make America great again. I hope you all remember these early days. Believe me, this is the start of a movement.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I wouldn't count Trump out in the general. He won't be able to follow the same strategy that's got him where he is today, but he has an uncannily good sense of his opponents' weak points and how best to hit them. He also doesn't follow any "rules," so his opponents have to be ready for anything. You think Jeb! ever dreamt, in his wildest nightmares, that he'd have to deal with "Bush let 9/11 happen" in the primary?

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

The Saurus posted:

God drat but do I love reading retarded liberals desperately trying to convince themselves that Trump has no chance against Hillary in the general. Hillary's unfavourables are just as bad you realise?

Where can I read more of this?

My favourite is liberals who admit Trump is a way more progressive candidate than Shillary, and this makes them worried that Hillary might not win. The gently caress is wrong with you?

But they are different see...ummm...Trump's go down and up, Hilary's go down and up, wait hold on.

The GOP reaction to Trump's dominance in late fall is having a repeat, right down to the fact Trump outperforms in the polls, is already hacking away at those unfavorables, and is now proving to be a much more popular second choice than thought. Most of the Jeb! vote went to him, after he literally bullied the man for god's sake. And this while Hillary is running a dirty campagin and coming off like a better programmed version of Rubio when connecting to people.

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
Once Trump is president, and he's loaded all of the Bad Dudes into Gitmo, he's going to be sorry that there's no one around to save him.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Stagger_Lee posted:

Once Trump is president, and he's loaded all of the Bad Dudes into Gitmo, he's going to be sorry that there's no one around to save him.

You don't need a bad dude to save the president, just one that's bad enough

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Stagger_Lee posted:

it was time america had our first abducted-by-ninjas president

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Man I wish Trump had stuck to campaigning on making an artificial island military base in the pacific instead of a dumb wall. That was great!

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...

Stagger_Lee posted:

For a candidate that's a living embodiment of the 80s this might be the most 80s thing he says.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

whydirt posted:

Man I wish Trump had stuck to campaigning on making an artificial island military base in the pacific instead of a dumb wall. That was great!

Where did he get that idea from?

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I wonder if Rubio is scared of Trump

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

PT6A posted:

I wouldn't count Trump out in the general. He won't be able to follow the same strategy that's got him where he is today, but he has an uncannily good sense of his opponents' weak points and how best to hit them. He also doesn't follow any "rules," so his opponents have to be ready for anything. You think Jeb! ever dreamt, in his wildest nightmares, that he'd have to deal with "Bush let 9/11 happen" in the primary?

He runs out of rooms and vomits when women mention breast feeding. He had a twitter meltdown over Clinton using the bathroom.

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
It would really be a thing of beauty for the entire GOPe to coalesce around Rubio only for him to fail big on Super Tuesday.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Something Xenophon missed: Trump implied he was against term limits. "Term limits? You guys [gesturing to crowd] should be the term limits! If you don't like someone, you vote 'em out!"

thethreeman
May 10, 2008
Fallen Rib
wow had no idea this was happening so soon... wonder if any other campaigns manage to use it to any benefit at all or it just gets swept up in trump fever

https://www.yahoo.com/politics/with-gop-nomination-looming-trump-slated-to-take-191550876.html

quote:

Here’s a part of the political calendar that nobody in the Republican Party seems to have noticed: This spring, just as the GOP nomination battle enters its final phase, frontrunner Donald Trump could be forced to take time out for some unwanted personal business: He’s due to take the witness stand in a federal courtroom in San Diego, where he is being accused of running a financial fraud.

In court filings last Friday, lawyers for both sides in a long-running civil lawsuit over the now defunct Trump University named Trump on their witness lists. That makes it all but certain that the reality-show star and international businessman will be forced to be grilled under oath over allegations in the lawsuit that he engaged in deceptive trade practices and scammed thousands of students who enrolled in his “university” courses in response to promises he would make them rich in the real estate market.

Although the case has been winding its way through the courts for the past five years — and Trump has denied all wrongdoing — the final pretrial conference is now slated for May 6, according to the latest pleadings in the case. No trial date has been set, but the judge has indicated his interest in moving the case forward, the pleadings show.

“This is pretty amazing,” said Scott Reed, a veteran Republican Party consultant, about Trump’s upcoming due date in federal court. “Usually, you clean this stuff up before you run for president.”

The core case revolves around the operations of a school Trump launched in 2005 with a promotional You Tube video, as well as ads that proclaimed, “I can turn anyone into a successful real estate investor, including you,” “Are YOU My Next Apprentice?” and “Learn from my handpicked experts how you can profit from the largest real estate liquidation in history.” The plaintiffs, former students at Trump University, allege they were misled into maxing out their credit cards and paying up to $60,000 in fees for seminars in hotel ballrooms and “mentoring” by Trump’s “hand-picked” real estate experts. The lawsuit against the school, which is no longer in business, alleges the seminars turned into little more than an “infomercial” and the Trump mentors offered “no practical advice” and “mostly disappeared.” New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman filed a separate suit in 2013 alleging fraud on the part of the “university,” which was never an accredited institution and awarded no degrees.

Trump’s lawyers have adamantly denied the charges. “None of it is true. No one was defrauded,” said Alan Garten, the Trump Organization’s general counsel, in an interview about the allegations last year. “The people that take these classes go into it with their eyes open. A lot of people did very well [with Trump University]. A lot of people enjoyed it. But like everything else, if people don’t put the effort into it, they don’t succeed.”

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

a shameful boehner posted:

Maybe all Trump supporters are just accelerationists, makes you think

If I was an accelerationist I'd be voting for Hillary or one of the other Republi-fucks, not the candidate who's going to bring jobs back to America.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

William Bear posted:

Where did he get that idea from?

Every time someone photoshops a beard onto Trump he looks great.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Venom Snake posted:

None of the people currently up for the nomination could hack it in the general. Rubio literally melts under the slightest pressure (when he bothers to actually try), Cruz is literally satan, and Trump is figuratively Hitler.

Figuratively Hitler being, somehow, the least bad of the bunch.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Xenophon posted:

(seriously, these are worth a read - it was quite an event)

--On Hillary Clinton: "Hillary doesn't have the strength, she doesn't have the stamina. She does a debate, she goes away. She does a rally, she goes away."

Haha, this is referring to when Clinton (and Sanders BTW) went to the bathroom during a break and Clinton was slightly late coming back.

I think if Hillary waves a maxi-pad during a debate with Trump that blood is going to shoot out of his nose like some goddamned anime

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Venom Snake posted:

He runs out of rooms and vomits when women mention breast feeding. He had a twitter meltdown over Clinton using the bathroom.

well he is playing off the bases disgust for womens bodys.

Jewel Repetition posted:

Something Xenophon missed: Trump implied he was against term limits. "Term limits? You guys [gesturing to crowd] should be the term limits! If you don't like someone, you vote 'em out!"

thats not scary at all.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

thethreeman posted:

wow had no idea this was happening so soon... wonder if any other campaigns manage to use it to any benefit at all or it just gets swept up in trump fever

https://www.yahoo.com/politics/with-gop-nomination-looming-trump-slated-to-take-191550876.html

november 2016 - both major parties candidates have been jailed. president obama shrugs dramatically, announces that he will be retaining office and adding some very smashing purple robes to the presidential ensemble.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Lmao, Trump regarding caucusing: "if you see anything dishonest report it to the police"

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Jewel Repetition posted:

Lmao, Trump regarding caucusing: "if you see anything dishonest report it to the police"

Then the police will forward that right along to the FEC who will do exactly nothing as is their task

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Jewel Repetition posted:

Every time someone photoshops a beard onto Trump he looks great.

Rejoice, rejoice, death has not sting.

he looks like comstock from bioshock Infinite.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Every time The Saurus talks about those poor old mill towns, don't engage him, just link him to this in depth series by the Atlantic. (It's a followup on a 2013 piece.)

The exploitation of illegal labor is as much an economic problem as a foreign policy one. It'd be easier to inspect work sites on a routine basis than to staff a wall across an entire side of America.

PT6A posted:

You think Jeb! ever dreamt, in his wildest nightmares, that he'd have to deal with "Bush let 9/11 happen" in the primary?

I don't think Jeb expected ANY questions.

Regarding Trump being left of Hillary:
It is impossible to imagine anything Trump says is his political position. He wants to build a wall. That's about it in terms of things that he hasn't contradicted or walked back. He could appoint a transgendered latina to the Supreme Court. He might use Scalia's hair samples to make a clone. He might try to ram through his legal advisor or the Dean of Wharton.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Feb 23, 2016

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
Trump.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Brannock posted:

Bonus if you take in account that the sitting Congress would revolt and refuse to cooperate with him (at least until 2018).

Just for a moment imagine the laws the current Congress would pass or repeal with a cooperative President like Rubio or Kasich, much less someone like Ted Cruz.

You have no clue what you are talking about. This is the Congress that has tried to repeal Obamacare 60 times, including once managing to get it onto Obama's desk. They'll keep passing bills, and Donald Trump will sign them because he doesn't give a poo poo about anything but being on the news and people thinking he is the greatest, so he will want to sign lots of bills to show what a great leader he is.

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

Shageletic posted:

Haha, this is referring to when Clinton (and Sanders BTW) went to the bathroom during a break and Clinton was slightly late coming back.

I think if Hillary waves a maxi-pad during a debate with Trump that blood is going to shoot out of his nose like some goddamned anime

He's referring to how you don't really see Hillary doing many large events, or events scheduled nearly as frequently as he does.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

The Saurus posted:

If I was an accelerationist I'd be voting for Hillary or one of the other Republi-fucks, not the candidate who's going to bring jobs back to America.

Hillary is the epitome of Status Quo. She's running on "everything you like will be slightly better."

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Epic High Five posted:

Then the police will forward that right along to the FEC who will do exactly nothing as is their task

It's not in the FEC's jurisdiction, or the police's. It's like saying "if someone is using hacks at the LAN party tonight, call the police."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

Fiction posted:

Where are you getting these statistics that Americans hate them equally? Even after decades of mudslinging by the right wing media people still hate the yelling orange slumlord more than Shillary.

A graph of Hillary and Trump's unfavourables were posted a few pages back on a graph of the favourables of winning and losing presidential candidates (or maybe it was in the trump thread?). Trump was slightly lower on average, but some of his results were above Hillary's and BOTH were lower than most losing presidential candidates.

Trump's favourables were abysmal at the start of the primary, and he turned them around. No reason to think he can't do the same in the general.

So harping on Trump's unfavourables as a reason why he can't win is bullshit because Hillary's are very nearly as bad.

• Locked thread