Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Radbot posted:

Which is why, when Americans have written the constitutions of other countries, they always look just like the American one, right? With a bicameral legislature and all that.

Yes? In the post WW2 era the pressure applied to new and reforming countries was to model their new system after the American model constitution, with varying levels of adoption among those who did.

Hard to argue that they wouldn't have been better served to crib from a parliamentary model like we started recommending post Cold War though. Look at the problems Egypt had in the immediate aftermath of the revolution, a parliament would have handled those better than a presidency by tamping down on factionalism by allowing more diverse party representation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

The Kingfish posted:

The only change the black panthers managed to cause was the Mulford Act.

Black nationalism was key in getting white people to accept the less radical position of MLK et al

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

EwokEntourage posted:

Black nationalism was key in getting white people to accept the less radical position of MLK et al

I feel the conflation of black nationalism with black power in general ends up being misleading and serves a dismissive racist reading of how civil rights groups like Malcolm X and the Black Panthers aligned themselves. The idea of actual separation to me always seemed the nuclear option being put forth rather than the goal. The point was for black people to gain control of their own communities rather than basically being excluded from society and constantly hamstrung through the use of the justice system to control and limit black agency.

The threat of violence was, frankly, necessary because the police, as the legitimized arm of violence of the state had figured out how to not look as bad as they did against non-violent protesters while still strongly using violence to keep blacks in line. To treat the original Black Panther Party as a group seeking white genocide or white expulsion or general racial war like most white supremacist groups is reductive and wrong. The point was simply that given the state's use of violence against them to maintain the caste system of racism, eschewing it was to hobble their ability to fight against it. The intent was to operate within the law, while keeping force an option, much like the fevered ideas of 2nd amendment supporters who think their toys will protect them against the state. But in their case, they actually loving were being targeted by the state, and not just having their feelings hurt.

There are other groups who did seek to separate like the Nation of Islam, and other groups that preached black supremacy rather than black power (once again, the Nation of Islam), but there is a distinction there that is important, and that the last vestiges of white supremacy in the heart of our society require to be erased to support the current system of oppression.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
The problem with the Republican argument that they don't have to, e.g., vote on Obama's nominee because it's not Constitutionally required is that while technically true, it nevertheless violates norms of how our government functions. This is just one of many practices of the Republican Congress that, while within the scope of the text of the Constitution, go against the ethos of the historical practice of government that has gotten us to where we are today. Something Republicans may want to consider is that there are also norms that forbid other parts of government from doing certain things that would not be outside the text of the Constitution. For instance, one norm is that the President does not proactively announce that he will grant a federal pardon to anyone who commits an act of political assassination in a federal jurisdiction against legislators of the opposite party. The text of the Constitution doesn't forbid this, nor does the pardon power contain a check by either of the other two branches. The President doing so would do violence to our form of government though. So too have the Republicans.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

foobardog posted:

I feel the conflation of black nationalism with black power in general ends up being misleading and serves a dismissive racist reading of how civil rights groups like Malcolm X and the Black Panthers aligned themselves. ability to fight against it. The intent was to operate within the law, while keeping force an option, much like the fevered ideas of 2nd amendment supporters who think their toys will protect them against the state. But in their case, they actually loving were being targeted by the state, and not just having their feelings hurt.
I used black nationalism mostly as a catch all, because, for better or worse, that's what most people probably associate Malcolm x, black panthers, etc with. I certainly agree the reality is much more nuanced, and I have always taken great joy in watch 2A republicans squirm when blacks dare to exercise their rights to guns.

Mostly I was just giving the dude poo poo, not offering a good faith critic of the various facets of the civil rights movement. I do think race relations in the United States would benefit for more exhaustive education in the issue

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

I love how Republicans and the Sanders crowd are going after this like anything is going to happen. If there was any actual chance of Hillary getting indicted she wouldn't be running. They would have made Biden throw his name in the hat.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

The problem with the Republican argument that they don't have to, e.g., vote on Obama's nominee because it's not Constitutionally required is that while technically true, it nevertheless violates norms of how our government functions. This is just one of many practices of the Republican Congress that, while within the scope of the text of the Constitution, go against the ethos of the historical practice of government that has gotten us to where we are today. Something Republicans may want to consider is that there are also norms that forbid other parts of government from doing certain things that would not be outside the text of the Constitution. For instance, one norm is that the President does not proactively announce that he will grant a federal pardon to anyone who commits an act of political assassination in a federal jurisdiction against legislators of the opposite party. The text of the Constitution doesn't forbid this, nor does the pardon power contain a check by either of the other two branches. The President doing so would do violence to our form of government though. So too have the Republicans.

I think your hypothetical is a little too strong and probably undermines your point through distraction, rather than helping to support it, but I agree with your main argument. The US Constitution has bugs. And even though the original framers did the best they could to try to work around it, including putting in a patching system in the form of amendments, that patching system has its own very obvious flaws. The idea of amending anything about the constitution these days just seems like a joke. Get 2/3rds of both the house and senate to agree on anything? Hah! Guess we can always hold out hope for a state-led constitutional conven--hahaha no I can't even finish that.

The point being, we're stuck with what we've got, even though it's full of holes that anyone could exploit if they really wanted to. Up until now, tradition and respect have been the patches on those holes, but if we're going to tear off those patches whenever it's politically convenient, the whole thing starts to fall apart. I don't see any possible way that ends up good for anyone in the long run. :(

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

EwokEntourage posted:

I used black nationalism mostly as a catch all, because, for better or worse, that's what most people probably associate Malcolm x, black panthers, etc with. I certainly agree the reality is much more nuanced, and I have always taken great joy in watch 2A republicans squirm when blacks dare to exercise their rights to guns.

Mostly I was just giving the dude poo poo, not offering a good faith critic of the various facets of the civil rights movement. I do think race relations in the United States would benefit for more exhaustive education in the issue

No, no, it's fair, I wasn't so much disagreeing with your point that the Black Panthers had their successes even if it mostly led to laws to work against them, just that pointing out there's pernicious misrepresentation of what they stood for and argued in order to dismiss them as mindless radicals who didn't achieve anything like The Kingfish did.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

fknlo posted:

I love how Republicans and the Sanders crowd are going after this like anything is going to happen. If there was any actual chance of Hillary getting indicted she wouldn't be running. They would have made Biden throw his name in the hat.

Nobody is going after this like anything is going to happen except the investigators involved. Everybody knows nothing will be done.

Also mirroring UT Austin's faculty being troubled by campus carry. UTSA's faculty also shares about the same concerns.

http://www.expressnews.com/news/education/article/Most-UTSA-faculty-will-feel-less-safe-with-campus-6847466.php

Freedom isn't free.

Nonsense fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Feb 24, 2016

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

The issue people are having is that they are refusing to consider ANY nominee whatsoever, which is something that hasn't happened before. Even in cases where the nominees ended up being rejected, no party has outright refused to even have a hearing on the issue.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Nonsense posted:

Nobody is going after this like anything is going to happen except the investigators involved. Nothing will be done.
I wish more people would bring up the Bush White House email scandal. It was far bigger since you had a deliberate action by the Bush WH to keep certain emails from ever becoming public record because they were openly political in nature or whatever. It's pretty obvious that even if Clinton improperly used certain emails, it was not intentional. Plus as others have pointed out, Bush's Secretaries of State did basically the same thing, as I believe the NYT reported a couple of weeks back, and nobody gave a drat.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

FlamingLiberal posted:

I wish more people would bring up the Bush White House email scandal. It was far bigger since you had a deliberate action by the Bush WH to keep certain emails from ever becoming public record because they were openly political in nature or whatever. It's pretty obvious that even if Clinton improperly used certain emails, it was not intentional. Plus as others have pointed out, Bush's Secretaries of State did basically the same thing, as I believe the NYT reported a couple of weeks back, and nobody gave a drat.

Attack their strength

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Epic High Five posted:

BREAKING NEWS: CLASSIFIED INFO FOUND ON CLINTON'S SERVER scrolling on FNC for the last 8 months despite nothing happening or being found, but I'm sure this time will nail her :rolleyes:

At this point even if they did find a smoking gun who would believe them?

There have been weekly "It is all about to go down, she is going to be arrested THIS WEEK" articles for 6 months.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

The issue people are having is that they are refusing to consider ANY nominee whatsoever, which is something that hasn't happened before. Even in cases where the nominees ended up being rejected, no party has outright refused to even have a hearing on the issue.

Therefore, trollbama should nominate Mitch McConell.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 29 hours!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Amazing times we live in.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

fknlo posted:

If there was something very serious about to happen to Hillary, I think we'd have to conclude that Obama did not know it was about to happen. That seems very unlikely. If the FBI found proof of a serious felony crime or whatever, sure keep chasing it down but you'd think they'd at least send a big fat heads-up to their boss.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Fried Chicken posted:

Yes? In the post WW2 era the pressure applied to new and reforming countries was to model their new system after the American model constitution, with varying levels of adoption among those who did.

Hard to argue that they wouldn't have been better served to crib from a parliamentary model like we started recommending post Cold War though. Look at the problems Egypt had in the immediate aftermath of the revolution, a parliament would have handled those better than a presidency by tamping down on factionalism by allowing more diverse party representation.

The US pretty much wrote the Japanese constitution post-WW2 and it's a parliamentary system.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Luigi Thirty posted:

Here is a slide from the University of Houston's faculty presentation on concerns about campus carry.

Campus carry seems to be a stealth tool for implementing political correctness on colleges.

How many professors will be willing to discuss conservative values, or even the founding fathers? Goddamn campus carry, making discussion on how America is a nation founded upon Judeo-Christian values too politically correct to bring up.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Anecdata, my one weakness! And neither of those things happened as a result of classroom debates. That's a daily double. Never forget though, if fear of the unknown is your objection, you never could know people weren't carrying illegally anyway so I'm not sure how you should suddenly be more frightened.

Especially since those carriers are in all likelihood less disposed to be a threat to others than you are. http://www.ncpa.org/pub/ba324

Here's some more actual data: http://crimeresearch.org/2015/02/cprc-in-fox-news-police-are-extremely-law-abiding-but-concealed-handgun-permit-holders-are-even-more-so/
There's a non-paywalled excerpt at the bottom of this article: http://crimeresearch.org/2015/02/cprc-in-fox-news-police-are-extremely-law-abiding-but-concealed-handgun-permit-holders-are-even-more-so/

I know it's mere data instead of something that caught your eye on the news once but nothing is ever perfect.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

FlamingLiberal posted:

Solution: Announce Loretta Lynch as your nominee and make 2016 a referendum on whether African-American women deserve their day in court.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Amergin posted:

And Bernie supporters are so much better, eh?

I support Bernie and I will if Clinton gets the nom probably vote for her.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

El Disco posted:

The US pretty much wrote the Japanese constitution post-WW2 and it's a parliamentary system.

Thank you for that nitpick that ignores both what I wrote where I included a number of caveats, cherry picks an example while ignoring all the others, and our public state department policy from the period. Gold star.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
https://www.yahoo.com/politics/with-gop-nomination-looming-trump-slated-to-take-191550876.html

Guess who's going to have to take the witness stand because he's being accused of fraud?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Warcabbit posted:

https://www.yahoo.com/politics/with-gop-nomination-looming-trump-slated-to-take-191550876.html

Guess who's going to have to take the witness stand because he's being accused of fraud?

He will serve a brief sentence before being released. While in jail, he will write his next bestseller "The Art of the Struggle"

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Warcabbit posted:

Can he take the oath of office from prison?

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Warcabbit posted:

That's good GOP Street cred.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Its a civil suit and his maximum liability for damages doesn't actually look that high.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

https://twitter.com/elainaplott/status/702318642101223424

:allears:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The police report shows that an exercise band was present in the room where Scalia died.

cc: Harry Reid

bcc: the Mafia

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Fried Chicken posted:

Thank you for that nitpick that ignores both what I wrote where I included a number of caveats, cherry picks an example while ignoring all the others, and our public state department policy from the period. Gold star.

I'd say it was the instance where we had the best chance to remake a political system to resemble ours, and we purposefully didn't. So Radbot is right in suggesting that when Americans have written the constitutions of other countries, they didn't model them on our own.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Cornyn saying that they don't see the point of "going through the motions" if they already know the outcome is pretty lol given how many times the House has voted to repeal the ACA.

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009

DeusExMachinima posted:

Anecdata, my one weakness! And neither of those things happened as a result of classroom debates. That's a daily double. Never forget though, if fear of the unknown is your objection, you never could know people weren't carrying illegally anyway so I'm not sure how you should suddenly be more frightened.

Especially since those carriers are in all likelihood less disposed to be a threat to others than you are. http://www.ncpa.org/pub/ba324

Here's some more actual data: http://crimeresearch.org/2015/02/cprc-in-fox-news-police-are-extremely-law-abiding-but-concealed-handgun-permit-holders-are-even-more-so/
There's a non-paywalled excerpt at the bottom of this article: http://crimeresearch.org/2015/02/cprc-in-fox-news-police-are-extremely-law-abiding-but-concealed-handgun-permit-holders-are-even-more-so/

I know it's mere data instead of something that caught your eye on the news once but nothing is ever perfect.

Maybe get data from unbiased researchers?
And LOL... Ted Nugent is on the Board of Directors. http://crimeresearch.org/about-us/

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

https://twitter.com/ap/status/702322470750126080

So for those keeping track at home, Nevada is now a bigger shitshow than a literal banana republic

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Feb 24, 2016

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
ah yes, the nonpartisan ncpa . . . oh wait

quote:

ur goal is to develop and promote private, free-market alternatives to government regulation and control, solving problems by relying on the strength of the competitive, entrepreneurial
private sector

if you can just call yourself nonpartisan no matter what, what's the point

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

El Disco posted:

I'd say it was the instance where we had the best chance to remake a political system to resemble ours, and we purposefully didn't. So Radbot is right in suggesting that when Americans have written the constitutions of other countries, they didn't model them on our own.

A better example than the dozens that do use a presidential system modeled after our own due to our influence, huh?

I mean, it's not like there were historical forces at work in Japan that made the occupying government want a weak executive there or anything, no siree. Or that there was another larger threat nearby that we wanted to face so we needed greater continuity of government for a faster turnaround.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

This tweet does not exist.

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Try here: https://twitter.com/elainaplott

Its insane what she is reporting.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

ComradeCosmobot posted:

It was about someone checking to see who the person had voted for before putting the ballot in the envelope. A follow up was that the person had a stack of filled out ballots not in envelopes (but underneath some) that, when asked about, they said they would get to them (as in, get around to putting them in, despite them being obscured and set to the side)

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Joementum posted:

The police report shows that an exercise band was present in the room where Scalia died.

cc: Harry Reid

bcc: the Mafia

autoerotic asphyxiation confirmed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Is there any defending caucuses? Please let this poo poo die

• Locked thread