Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Oiled and Ready posted:

Everything Trump did as a businessman does not have a stigma like it would for a politician. Businessmen are supposed to be greedy profiteers and buy politicians and scheme. The fact that he "used to be establisment until 9 months ago, folks" is one of his prime ADVANTAGES and any time you show him being a ruthless businessman you're giving him ammo to say that's what he do to China for the shareholder (the American citizen) and also enables him to know the nefarious motives of career politicians.

This is all a core of his platform.so I don't see how you all seem to miss it every single time. That little old lady he'd gently caress over for a dollar? Now that's a little illegal he'll gently caress over so an American citizen can feed his kids.

None of the business/corruption stuff sticks because Americans find it an acceptable value in capitalists, but NOT in elected officials.

this is flatly false, and i don't understand how you can say this when we had the world's most vivid possible counterexample four years ago. literally, the exact thing you're describing as impossible happened, the exact way you're saying it couldn't possibly, to romney. we know this can and will work because we saw it work just the way i described last election. do you really not remember?

romney said that his ruthlessness would be what we needed as a country, to turn us around and start making money again. voters emphatically rejected that argument. if trump tries to repeat it-- which i don't think he will, he's much savvier than romney-- he will be slaughtered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Nichael posted:

I am sure there is, but is there precedent for naming a vice president before a nominee has been decided? I understand Gingrich and Santorum were considering doing exactly that four years ago but they didn't

It's floated every cycle and happens in none. It's one of many Air Bud VP things, alongside sitting presidents dropping running mates (last happened with Ford, floated with every president seeking reelection since) and really outlandish VP picks, like the seriously pushed idea that the GOP ticket in 1980 should be Reagan/Ford, with a former U.S. President as VP to aid the "inexperienced" two term California governor Reagan. Reagan shot that idea down because it was the dumbest loving thing he could've possibly done and would've cut his balls off the entire presidency.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

Lemming posted:

This is kind of nonsense. Trump doesn't have a single policy beyond yelling "jobs!" and anybody who only pays attention at that level doesn't know what the gently caress TPP or NAFTA is so it doesn't matter. A Republican can't win without minority votes and Trump has explicitly been attacking minorities.

They know "Ford and Carrier and Nabisco moved to Mexico, I'll bring them and their jobs back" though

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax
hillary blasts kasich over his "women in kitchens" comment and concludes with, indeed, it is CURRENT YEAR

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Lemming posted:

Trump doesn't have a single policy beyond yelling "jobs!"

untrue

he also wants marijuana legalization left to the states, and would replace obamacare with the ability to buy insurance across state lines

you see? substantive as hell.

Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Lemming posted:

This is kind of nonsense. Trump doesn't have a single policy beyond yelling "jobs!" and anybody who only pays attention at that level doesn't know what the gently caress TPP or NAFTA is so it doesn't matter. A Republican can't win without minority votes and Trump has explicitly been attacking minorities.

https://www.donaldjtrump.com/positions

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

The old 2-5-2?-3-2-3-1-2 strat

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

CubsWoo posted:

They know "Ford and Carrier and Nabisco moved to Mexico, I'll bring them and their jobs back" though

Everybody says they'll bring jobs back. The TV clown man does not have wide appeal outside of a plurality of Republicans. He needs to excite the base since his nonsense doesn't exactly reach across the aisle, and there's a huge contingent of Republicans who see him as a joke and an embarrassment.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

good loving god

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

- mandatory HSA plans to increase cost and decrease benefits to every American

- will bring jobs back to the US by curbing already too-high wages down to exploitative levels that American manufacturing has grown used to

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax
msnbc discussing how high turnout is actually worse for cruz and rubio

chris hayes visually and audibly sighs before discussing trump

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

paranoid randroid posted:

untrue

he also wants marijuana legalization left to the states, and would replace obamacare with the ability to buy insurance across state lines

you see? substantive as hell.

Also, people will say Merry Christmas again

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

"I'm going to cut taxes and beat China, it's so simple" is not coherent policy

Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

That laugh is evil. Bush didn't respond like that after they kill Saddam, Obama didn't after Bin Laden (lol), Trump isn't laughing like that either.

But this isn't a thread about Hillary, this is a thread about Jeb Bush. Please stay on topic.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Lemming posted:

To the best of my knowledge he hasn't attacked The Blacks.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

this is flatly false, and i don't understand how you can say this when we had the world's most vivid possible counterexample four years ago. literally, the exact thing you're describing as impossible happened, the exact way you're saying it couldn't possibly, to romney. we know this can and will work because we saw it work just the way i described last election. do you really not remember?

romney said that his ruthlessness would be what we needed as a country, to turn us around and start making money again. voters emphatically rejected that argument. if trump tries to repeat it-- which i don't think he will, he's much savvier than romney-- he will be slaughtered.

Romney was much more involved in politics, even outside serving as Governor, than Trump has been until this point and had the establishment stink upon him. Romney also engages on the financial wizard side of capitalism, instead of Building Actual Things, and actively took over corporations to extract as much money out of them before running them into the ground. At first blush they're similar but ehhh.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

FourLeaf posted:

good loving god

They don't want to win. That is the only conclusion I can draw.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

The Saurus posted:

Tacit approval of violence you say?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fgcd1ghag5Y

Yeah, I guess you prefer explicit approval of violence.

Here's the deal Nichael - Hillary supports deporting central American children who are at risk of death and torture. She supported the Iraq war, which led to the deaths of hundreds of thousands of Muslims and supports American military action to overthrow governments and bombing browns. Trump said an outrageous thing once, something many don't think he'll actually pursue once he gets to the general.

You worry about Hispanics and Muslims? Hillary is responsible for doing way more horrible poo poo to those groups in the past than Trump has.

So the reason I can say those issues don't matter to me for the general, is because both of the candidates are just as bad on them. If Sanders was up against Trump, he'd get my vote in a heartbeat. But Hillary is in no way superior to Trump because of his stance on illegal immigration and radical islamic terrorism.

I don't agree with your conclusions, but you gave a more direct answer than I expected, and I can better see where you're coming from.

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

TyrantWD posted:

Hillary learned nothing since 2008, and Bernie's pull Hillary to the left has inadvertently turned into a campaign to destroy the only viable candidate the Democrats had. It's going to take Cruz or an act of god to keep a Republican from winning the general.

Here's the thing- unless Trump implodes on his own for whatever reason, the ratfucking that will most likely be required for Rubio to win over him would utterly destroy the party (hah), the equivalent of what would have happened if Hillary stole 08 with super-delegates. The party may be down for that, but why in the holy gently caress would Rubio want to go down that road. He is too young to bet the bank on bad odds. Yes, Hillary isn't the greatest campaigner, the dems will have potential issues with the economy and international politics, she has some scandals which may or may not become a thing- but Rubio would be mortally wounded by the primary process and he drat well knows it. Trump has literally nothing to lose, the most likely scenario is an increasingly brutal campaign that destroys them both. Does he have skeletons in the closet (heh)? We are sure as gently caress going to find out!

I think Rubio is smart enough to realize that there are much better hands to go all in on.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Lemming posted:

We're going to get a lot more ICE agents and construction jobs, I'll tell you what

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Lemming posted:

It's so simple.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Supposedly only 4% of combined superpac money has been spent attacking trump

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

InsanityIsCrazy posted:

hillary blasts kasich over his "women in kitchens" comment and concludes with, indeed, it is CURRENT YEAR

she used that line. yeah it works. but its so played out and ruined by the internet people will just poo poo on it.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Jewel Repetition posted:

To the best of my knowledge he hasn't attacked The Blacks.

Indeed, in fact Trump's platform explicitly names black Americans as a group that has been left behind that would benefit:

quote:

Decades of disastrous trade deals and immigration policies have destroyed our middle class. Today, nearly 40% of black teenagers are unemployed. Nearly 30% of Hispanic teenagers are unemployed. For black Americans without high school diplomas, the bottom has fallen out: more than 70% were employed in 1960, compared to less than 40% in 2000. Across the economy, the percentage of adults in the labor force has collapsed to a level not experienced in generations. As CBS news wrote in a piece entitled “America’s incredible shrinking middle class”: “If the middle-class is the economic backbone of America, then the country is developing osteoporosis.”

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

If Rubio trots out another third place victory speech, I'm going to start publishing my very own victory speeches to YouTube. In fact, I think we all should. It just doesn't have any meaning anymore.

The fact that we are not running should not inhibit our right to declare victory in any state Republican primary.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
https://twitter.com/BuzzFeedAndrew/status/702297474195701762

https://twitter.com/BuzzFeedAndrew/status/702298581454229504

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

End of Life Guy posted:

I don't know who the guys are that determine which clicks are pro clicks, but I'd like to submit this for PRO CLICK consideration.

You are now one of those guys.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Feb 24, 2016

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

Lemming posted:

https://www.donaldjtrump.com/positions well that's what i get for posting on my phone

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax
Guys do you think

do you think Trump and Vince McMahon planned this out with the entire GOP years ago

that this is the birth of political kayfabe, the new strat to draw new voters to politics

do you think the medias falling for it too

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Trump Steaks were actually made of pink slime and cooked well done before shipment, I don't know what to believe anymore

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

he isnt wrong. trump will certainly pivot, but that wont trick most moderates. and their is a dumps worth of poo poo on him

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

he isnt wrong. trump will certainly pivot, but that wont trick most moderates. and their is a dumps worth of poo poo on him

He supposedly does well with independents and moderates, though I don't know how true that is or what type of moderate it may refer to.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Nichael posted:

But as I said previously on this page, Trump's tacit approval of violence combined with his extremely dangerous anti-Muslim rhetoric should outweigh any of his (purely hypothetical) positives. I guess it's just shocking to me that people can either approve of such ideas, or dismiss them with a "nobody's perfect". They are so fundamentally discordant with how our society works, and they echo the beginnings of the worst crimes in humanity's history. If you don't have as strong an emotional reaction to those principles as I do, there's really not much else I can say because clearly we have extremely different values.

i saw a clip of him saying "they arent human" referring to protesters at his rally and it honestly scared the gently caress out of me

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Jewel Repetition posted:

He supposedly does well with independents and moderates, though I don't know how true that is or what type of moderate it may refer to.

He does well with people who think Islam should be illegal, the proportion of which decreases as the group of people you're looking at gets more liberal

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
In other news I've been checking Trump's twitter waiting for him to retweet the Rubio Benghazi photo, but I realized he's probably not going to waste it tonight in the middle of the Nevada election results. He'll probably pop it off tomorrow afternoon or something.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Lemming posted:

He does well with people who think Islam should be illegal, the proportion of which decreases as the group of people you're looking at gets more liberal

Islam is like guns: yes it's protected by an amendment, but most people just want it to be heavily regulated, not completely illegal.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

Nichael posted:

I don't agree with your conclusions, but you gave a more direct answer than I expected, and I can better see where you're coming from.

That stuff is also the reason why I call Hillary-supporters who vehemently attack Trump SJWs btw. Because they don't care about each candidate's policies and history, they only care about rhetoric. Just like SJWs care more about policing language, triggers and safe spaces than actually affecting real progressive change in the world.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Jewel Repetition posted:

Republican moderates maybe. Definitely not political independents or moderate democrats.

http://www.gallup.com/opinion/polling-matters/188177/trump-image-among-democrats-independents-negative-gop-candidate.aspx

lmao -27 among independents and -70 among democrats. And this is before they learn that Donald Trump raped his first wife.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Jewel Repetition posted:

i am a moderate dem. and i dislike him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

Jewel Repetition posted:

He'll definitely bring around the 'only 25 pigs blood bullets' moderates.

• Locked thread