Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will win the caucuses?
Ben Carson
Ted Cruz
John Kasich
Marco Rubio
Donald Trump
Jeb, somehow
Baby Hitler
View Results

• Locked thread
XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

:lol:

This has to be a troll account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

XK posted:

:lol:

This has to be a troll account.

(it is)

https://twitter.com/DemsRRealRacist/status/701536596231790592

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

oystertoadfish posted:

i read that turtledove series for a while, i quit when i realized halfway through a book in the '30s or so that i had skipped the book set in the '20s and hadn't realized it until then

Is it any good? I've occasionally had the urge to start reading it when I'm in the mood for pulp.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

I assumed. If it were real, it would've been about taxing food stamps.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

mdemone posted:

Is it any good? I've occasionally had the urge to start reading it when I'm in the mood for pulp.

Harry Turtledove is... an acquired taste.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

https://twitter.com/FoxNews/status/702343542711193600

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

oystertoadfish posted:

i read that turtledove series for a while, i quit when i realized halfway through a book in the '30s or so that i had skipped the book set in the '20s and hadn't realized it until then

im saying that he gets bogged the fuuuuuck down in poo poo

i think my favorite turtledove stuff from when i was reading him in middle school was his fantasy from early on when he had to write under the pen name eric iverson bc his publishers thought people wouldnt believe harry turtledove was a real name and the book about justinian ii where he had him get his nose sewn back on by an indian doctor in the crimea (vaguely plausible by jumping through authentic history hoops)

the fantasy wwii series was another one that just dragged on for god drat ever

but agent of byzantium was how i found out about the best empire

gently caress nevada tho

I skipped the 20s and went right for the three last novels (as a mistake too, but there's enough context to figure out what happened before).

It moves fast enough for me, it keeps you engaged with the obvious historical parallels and constant war theater switching imo. It wraps up nicely and doesn't seem too impossible for me.

His novels about aliens arriving during WWII, on the other hand

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

:getin:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

What's the basis for evangelicals voting for Trump?

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
https://twitter.com/NNVfan/status/702350417355616257

America status: greater

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Logikv9 posted:

I skipped the 20s and went right for the three last novels (as a mistake too, but there's enough context to figure out what happened before).

It moves fast enough for me, it keeps you engaged with the obvious historical parallels and constant war theater switching imo. It wraps up nicely and doesn't seem too impossible for me.

also the series of novels where he reimagines WWII as a fantasy war with dragons and poo poo

dude really likes to write "WWII, but..."

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

fknlo posted:

Mostly conservative but not hardline conservative, protectionist, pro-wall

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬

fknlo posted:

he said the Art of the Deal was the 2nd greatest book of all time right under The Bible

a humble moment for Trump

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

fknlo posted:

The term "evangelical" is morphing into a synonym for "authoritarian" before our eyes

Donald Trump
Jan 31, 2016

by exmarx

fknlo posted:

I love the bible more than anyone.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

im the one paul vote

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Concerned Citizen posted:

America status: greater

I'm curious if Paul and/or Bush will pull 1% in NV

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

mdemone posted:

the stuff i said i liked best was the first entry in this
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Turtledove#Bibliography
the aliens invading during world war ii might be the right mix of ridiculous and epic to get you inured to the whole turtledove situation. it's got its own wiki page!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worldwar_series
this might be the classic ridiculous turtledove novel - it's about racist south africans traveling back in time to help the south win the civil war with modern technology
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Guns_of_the_South

if you really wanna see some alternative history poo poo look into sm stirling

draka is creepy, the one where nantucket gets sent back in time to 1250 BC is kinda cute, and the books he co-authored with a nerdy-rear end vietnam war vet retelling the conquests of belisarius in a post-apocalyptic human-settled planet with roughly civil war era technology are my favorite alternative history ever, although this is just my middle school self talking
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_General_series

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Donald Trump posted:

I love the bible more than anyone.

I want to say that if you win the nomination there's no way you don't royally piss evangelicals off during the general, but who the gently caress knows any more.

Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

fknlo posted:

but who the gently caress knows any more.

The theme of this years election.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

get ready for pants + poop

https://twitter.com/MS70Life/status/702351386814447616

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Logikv9 posted:

hell yeah, aliens arriving during wwii. featured current gop talking point EMP blast, as well, i think

i did think the civil war series was fairly realistic. i liked how the north became allies with germany and started wearing kaiser moustaches and making people fill out a shitload of paperwork, and how it invaded canada and was evil, also the vignettes of life in war-torn washington dc. i got tired of it at some point though yeah and it does seem like that 20s book was just as easily covered with 'and this happened so i did this and' first-half-of-paragraphs

i didn't link the glorious turtledove byzantium stuff. that might be a good place to start, actually
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agent_of_Byzantium

edit: nerdy vietnam war vet i mentioned was david drake, the books he wrote where 16th century england's history, esp the more famous drake francis and the spanish armada, are recast in a post-Fall spacefaring solar system with plucky venus beating the evil terran empire in a series that apparently no wikipedian cares about since there's no article about the books. but i like this better than his more specifically masturbating-about-guns stuff https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Drake_bibliography#Reaches

oystertoadfish has issued a correction as of 05:45 on Feb 24, 2016

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

fknlo posted:

Why wouldn't they vote for the God Emperor?

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

fknlo posted:

Candidate most likely to bring about the End Times.

Evangelicals are getting impatient for the Rapture and subsequent Armageddoning of everyone they don't like.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

im the one paul vote

Whiteboard doesn't specify, was probably a vote for Ron Paul.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

I'm watching the MSNBC field and they're showing live footage of some dude counting votes by hand, and literally every ballot was TRUMP. WTF

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

https://twitter.com/BenHowe/status/702344727358787585

https://twitter.com/BenHowe/status/702345544346312704

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Immortan posted:

Why wouldn't they vote for the God Emperor?

I honestly can't remember, but evangelicals are the ones that basically want the end times, correct? So accelerationism based on religious beliefs?

e: not a step answered this above!

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

fknlo posted:

This just in, American evangelicals haven't read the Bible.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!
It's too bad about Iowa because I really want Trump to go to the next debate and yell at Rubio and Cruz for thinking second and third is a win and that's why America isn't #1 in anything anymore.

Actually I don't think Iowa will stop him from doing that.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Who won

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Grem posted:

It's too bad about Iowa because I really want Trump to go to the next debate and yell at Rubio and Cruz for thinking second and third is a win and that's why America isn't #1 in anything anymore.

Actually I don't think Iowa will stop him from doing that.

That's OK Trump just says that Cruz stole Iowa and at this point who are you to doubt the Donald

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
This GOP lady on MSNBC is trying so hard to spin Trump's dominating as a positive for the party.

AMERICA

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

why is this a line graph

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

America.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

i think evangelicals in iowa are largely a cultural group based on northern european protestant immigration in the 1800's with specific religious heritages and poo poo, while evangelicals in the rest of the country are people who dont go to church but feel like they're really angry culture warriors in favor of traditional whitism so they're probably what christ was looking for

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Who else is excited for the 9pm announcement?

TOO EARLY TO CALL

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
holy poo poo did trump absolutely seize this or what??

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Paradoxish posted:

why is this a line graph

to implant a false impression of a single voting public's continuous progression along a temporal axis rather than a bunch of loving states

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004
Is that a trillion dollars I see rising from the west? No it's just the stack of ballots for Donald J Trump

• Locked thread