Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

DumbparameciuM posted:

Ok, I have tried to play XCom (And derivatives such as Xenonauts) a bunch of times. I never manage to get past the first alien Base invasion. Pat, who finished XCom 1 and was lead developer of XCom 2 , plays exactly the same way I do. How the gently caress did he finish the first game playing this way? I'm seriously asking, I don't understand how somebody playing the game in this fashion could actually complete it.

God, I have no idea. Everyone in my base is dead or hurt, everything happens at the same time and every city is on fire. But from what I grasp XCom is a game where you miserably fail your first time around anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

DumbparameciuM posted:

Ok, I have tried to play XCom (And derivatives such as Xenonauts) a bunch of times. I never manage to get past the first alien Base invasion. Pat, who finished XCom 1 and was lead developer of XCom 2 , plays exactly the same way I do. How the gently caress did he finish the first game playing this way? I'm seriously asking, I don't understand how somebody playing the game in this fashion could actually complete it.

Knowing Pat, I'm sure he plays it where he takes 30 minutes every round to formulate the perfectly calibrated turn when he's alone. But in this LP hustle, it's all go go go, so maybe this is one of those games where the nature of the format handicaps the performance.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

DumbparameciuM posted:

Quicksave Quickload carries most scrubs through the various XComs.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

hoobajoo posted:

Knowing Pat, I'm sure he plays it where he takes 30 minutes every round to formulate the perfectly calibrated turn when he's alone. But in this LP hustle, it's all go go go, so maybe this is one of those games where the nature of the format handicaps the performance.

It's more likely he is just bad.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Andrast posted:

It's more likely he is just bad.

Needing a ton of time to evaluate tiny, routine decisions basically means you're bad, anyway. Six of one, half dozen of the other. My only point is in an offscreen game, he might be able to compensate by just taking forever to ponder every single option available.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

hoobajoo posted:

Needing a ton of time to ponder every little decision basically means you're bad, anyway.

Eeeeh, not really, if my card game experience means anything.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

Pat's play style makes me think that it is he, and not Woolie, who is in cahoots with aliens.
Perhaps the chip is still there in his brain.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Dias posted:

Eeeeh, not really, if my card game experience means anything.

I don't want to dweeb out over competitive Magic players too much, but they do typically play faster than the average Joe Wizard. Rounds are timed in tournaments, they have to make the most of that time. They still stop to think on hard decisions or tricky sequences, but that's not the same thing as just taking forever to do an obvious play, which is what I'm talking more about.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

hoobajoo posted:

I don't want to dweeb out over competitive Magic players too much, but they typically play faster than the average Joe Wizard. Rounds are timed in tournaments, they have to make the most of that time. They still take their time on hard decisions or tricky sequences, but that's not the same thing as just taking forever to do an obvious play.

Well, you're not wrong there, although play time varies from player to player. Taking your time to figure out what the gently caress you should do is more often than not good, tho, and if you have infinite time in a turn-based game, might as well not rush things, right?

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Dias posted:

Well, you're not wrong there, although play time varies from player to player. Taking your time to figure out what the gently caress you should do is more often than not good, tho, and if you have infinite time in a turn-based game, might as well not rush things, right?

I'm just saying, if you have 10 options, and 6 of them are clearly bad, how long you take to eliminate those 6 as viable options is one way to measure competence in a game. Just trying to show that Pat being bad at XCom and beating it are not mutually exclusive.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Haven't been following this thread for a while but holy poo poo Pat is so bad at XCOM. Now I know how the people who watch the Best Friends Souls/Borne LPs feel.

The constant "There is no way to win this, it's impossible." *makes worst possible decision after zero seconds of consideration* :allears:

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

hoobajoo posted:

I don't want to dweeb out over competitive Magic players too much, but they do typically play faster than the average Joe Wizard. Rounds are timed in tournaments, they have to make the most of that time. They still stop to think on hard decisions or tricky sequences, but that's not the same thing as just taking forever to do an obvious play, which is what I'm talking more about.

Counterthesis!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-kcRIe39_M

That is a man cutting his opponent's deck.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
New Podcast: ALL. THE. WARRIORS.
Featuring basically everybody except Pat!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9ZmgGLRzE0

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Liam should get hype, his favorite game series is getting localized!!

http://gematsu.com/2016/02/nis-america-teases-criminal-girls-2-localization

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
You can sort of get away with a ton of poo poo in XCom: Enemy Within, at least on its equivalent to normal and easy, so I don't really doubt that Pat might have finished it.
Jumping straight into the harder difficulty of the sequel might not have been the best choice, but I like to think it's better this way because the playthrough will be finished in a timely manner.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Like, did Pat actually finish the first "new" XCom game? I heard he played it, and, well, I also played it, it don't mean I know how to play it.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
I was totally thinking the same thing as pat when the tekken 2 ending happend in res0.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

RIP the dream of The Sonic Shuffle Shuffle

bumble
Oct 15, 2012

R U HOT YET?
Oh no, Sonic Shuffle didn't happen? drat, I was really looking forward to that.

Guess they'll just have to do a full LP now!!

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Good news: a chance to do it another time, with a bit of Pat sprinkled on top

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

"he's a voice actor, not a real actor"

God...damnit

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Lol when was that said

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Baal posted:

Lol when was that said

Around the last quarter of the podcast, then Takahata went correcto-rampage on him for saying that.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Lmao

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
was it Liam or Woolie

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

In Naruto 18 I love how the act of describing the Despair Zone is what makes Pat cross over super hard.

Justice Sloth
Jun 10, 2012

Damn skippy.
Don't let the 4th hokage xpac his rear end in a top hat out on your dead baby Turok's Shadowman-themed headstone

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Who trashed my dead Shadowman's resurrection?

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

VolticSurge posted:

Want a competent XCOM LP that uses actual character pools? ChristopherOdd has you covered.

Thanks for this. This guy is so much better than Pat. That first mission went flawlessly. Still, I like the clusterfuck that happens with Pat.

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.

Tae posted:

Liam should get hype, his favorite game series is getting localized!!

http://gematsu.com/2016/02/nis-america-teases-criminal-girls-2-localization

God loving drat that audio. It's like someone opened the master copy of Citizen Kane, threw up in the film case, and that was the only copy the world had from then on.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I'm not sure if this week's podcast video is the best but it's up there

doos
Jan 1, 2015

Blockhouse posted:

I'm not sure if this week's podcast video is the best but it's up there

Everything Brennan Williams does or says in that is the best. Were they all hungover or something?

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Street Fighter: The Movie is finally up on Vessel

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Thanks for spoiling it

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Futaba Anzu posted:

Thanks for spoiling it

Chun's boobs win at the end.

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.
Annnnd Team Fourstar's channel just got nuked by YouTube.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

Annnnd Team Fourstar's channel just got nuked by YouTube.

Oi, really? I thought they had a "truce" with Toei nowadays, or was it related to other content?

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Dias posted:

Oi, really? I thought they had a "truce" with Toei nowadays, or was it related to other content?

It's not clear if Toei's even involved. Their website seems to be doing okay. So it might just be youtube.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

DumbparameciuM posted:

Lower difficulty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
"Snitches get riches" --Patrick F. Boivin.