Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

The Vosgian Beast posted:

:gonk:

I still say this isn't as weird as Ms Velma. The guy who made this knew he was making a scare 'em straight film. Ms Velma genuinely thought she was making a delightful show for all ages.

Yeah, I agree. This is still loving weird, but it doesn't top Ms Velma's live ammo shortbus showcase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

Hbomberguy posted:

Interestingly enough, a lot of what we know about ancient history is a direct result of people throwing poo poo away. Athens had municipal waste dumps, for example.

So our greatest video game cultural contribution-- will be the dumpster Atari ET cartridges-- except that they were dug up to preserve them, even though they'd be preserved in the dumpster.

My head... ow.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

MrSlam posted:

'If Footmen Tire, What Will Horses Do?'

How do I KNOW it's a Cinema Snob review?

Well played, RSS character limit. Well played.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MrSlam posted:

What do you get when a born-again grindhouse director teams up with a preacher that makes the reverend from Footloose look tame? You get 'If Footmen Tire, What Will Horses Do?' It's like if someone actually directed a Chick Tract, only with 70's era gore effects, child decapitation, torture, and rape. Cartoons, Communism, skipping church, not going to church TWICE on a sunday, going on dates on a Saturday night instead of reading the scriptures; all this will lead to the Red Scare version of Man in the High Castle McCarthy warned us about.

This made me think of a curious piece of trivia: one of the first serious attempts to create a multi-picture ongoing franchise was a series of End Times movies from the 1970s (when Left Behind was no doubt little more than a glint in Tim LaHaye's eye) created by a Christian production company.

Tangentially-related: has anyone ever noticed how the mainstays of "worst / most bizarre album covers ever" lists are gospel albums from the 1960s and early 1970s recorded by dorky-looking white guys? (Not disparaging gospel music; much of it, unlike the miserable sub-Coldplay dreck that is CCM, it is actually inspiring and uplifting.) These fascinate me, because they suggest this whole underground scene which must have existed, but isn't very well-chronicled, of these singers travelling from church to church to perform across the country.

Surely they must have sold well to their target audience, but they seldom had what you'd call popular appeal outside that audience, selling in Christian bookshops rather than department stores so they never made the charts, so their ultimate legacy is this collection of bizarre and ridiculous album covers.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

What's the Christsploitation movie where the lady denies Christ and then gets stuck in a guillotine during an earthquake for like five minutes?

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Jack Gladney posted:

What's the Christsploitation movie where the lady denies Christ and then gets stuck in a guillotine during an earthquake for like five minutes?

:stare:

Wait, is this one of the current breed of PureFlix Christsploitation, or one of the older ones?

What's sad is that I have to ask that, seeing as it's kind of a crapshoot these days.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Ensign_Ricky posted:

:stare:

Wait, is this one of the current breed of PureFlix Christsploitation, or one of the older ones?

What's sad is that I have to ask that, seeing as it's kind of a crapshoot these days.

It's 70s-era like this one. I think it's about a college professor who doesn't get raptured and leads a resistance group out in the woods when the antichrist takes over with his evil UPC barcodes.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

Wheat Loaf posted:

so their ultimate legacy is this collection of bizarre and ridiculous album covers.

I'm going to link this guitar, because I almost never come across someone who can fully appreciate it in context and I think your life will be better knowing that it exists.

I give you, the Louvin Brothers "Satan Is Real" Guitar.

Fluffy the Cat
Jun 1, 2000

Jack Gladney posted:

That was Image of the Beast, which was the third in the "Thief in the Night" series of movies about the rapture. I'm sure this is the series Wheat Loaf was talking about. I saw it back when my fundamentalist parents rented it out in the 80s, and I remember that scene since she was the main character in the first two movies, and then gets brutally killed in the opening moments of the third.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
This thread was discussing the stuff getting under the craw of a lot of internet critics/youtubers earlier

GradeAUnderA put out his second video on it here if you're interested

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Fluffy the Cat posted:

That was Image of the Beast, which was the third in the "Thief in the Night" series of movies about the rapture. I'm sure this is the series Wheat Loaf was talking about.

Yeah, that's the one I was thinking of. As I say, apparently one of the earliest multi-movie franchises in America to tell a serialised story across films.

I've seen one kinda sorta end-of-the-world themed movie, where the protagonist is a scientist who's immune to some kind of mind-controlling signal because his hearing aid blocks it out. I can't remember what it's called though; saw it when I was in the Boys' Brigade a good few years ago. I think it was produced by a Christian film company, but on its face it was a generic thriller with implied Christian themes; sort of like an episode of Millennium.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
Ahaha yes I saw the second movie in that series, A Distant Thunder. I was like 8 and some scare 'em straight Southern Baptist travelling dude came to our Sunday school and we stayed extra long to watch it. Gotta get that persecution complex on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJP5qFob4rk

My memory might be influenced by being very young and impressionable but I recall it being actually a pretty tense flick. The protagonists plan to live in hiding until the Antichrist's reign ends but one of them inevitably gets lured to the dark side of the force and betrays their cell. The final shot in that trailer is also the end of the movie, with the main character screaming as her best friend gets guillotined and she's next. 20+ years later and that scene is still etched into my brain.

You know, for kids.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb
Speaking of end time tribulation movies (and people what do criticism on the internet) Fred Clark has recently restarted his section by section review/examination of the notorious Left Behind series. The guy's been taking these books, and by extension the whole Darbyist Millennial Rapture theology, apart since 2003 and it's really taught me a lot.

I can't find it now, but Fred's actually spoken (relatively) positively about the Thief In The Night series. He still thinks they're "bad" movies based around a bogus theology, but at least they respect the viewer enough to try and scare them straight. In short, The Thief in The Night series is about all the terrible things that could happen to you during the apocalypse and reign of the Antichrist. Left Behind, on the other hand, is a much more self-satisfied look at all the terrible things that will happen to those people after the rapture.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Puppy Time posted:

Yo, dinguses, there's a difference between "The idea that 'ALL art MUST be preserved and should NEVER be made to be temporary' is dumb" and "NO ART MUST BE PRESERVED BURN IT ALL."

I think the more relevant distinction is that EA has no particular responsibility to ensure that their work is preserved, or even that it can be preserved. When possible I think they should at least create the potential for interested fans and archivists to preserve their games, which means allowing for the possibility of life for a game after its EA-maintained servers are shut down.

At least if a single player game stops getting updates, they can be updated by third parties to modern standards and be identical to the original experience (thanks GOG!). It does make me wonder about how effective preserving multiplayer games can be. If multiplayer is part of the experience, how could they ever possibly recreate the experience of an actual community? If someone downloads Diablo twenty years from now, they can play it, but they won't log on to battle.net and get repeatedly and immediately smeared by hack-using griefers. Are they really getting the experience of the art, or are they just looking at it behind museum glass?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Prop Wash posted:

I think the more relevant distinction is that EA has no particular responsibility to ensure that their work is preserved, or even that it can be preserved. When possible I think they should at least create the potential for interested fans and archivists to preserve their games, which means allowing for the possibility of life for a game after its EA-maintained servers are shut down.

At least if a single player game stops getting updates, they can be updated by third parties to modern standards and be identical to the original experience (thanks GOG!). It does make me wonder about how effective preserving multiplayer games can be. If multiplayer is part of the experience, how could they ever possibly recreate the experience of an actual community? If someone downloads Diablo twenty years from now, they can play it, but they won't log on to battle.net and get repeatedly and immediately smeared by hack-using griefers. Are they really getting the experience of the art, or are they just looking at it behind museum glass?

There have been a couple of LPs where they've used Hamachi to set up multiplayer sessions for some games. Obviously, that's not the same as resurrecting a community, and not as robust as something like Battle.net, but it does serve as a way to partially restore the multiplayer experience for games where the servers have been shut down.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Prop Wash posted:

I dunno about this argument. I think it has some truth, but can also be taken to silly places. Am I not experiencing old games as intended if I don't have to make a DOS boot disk to play them or hand-enter the BASIC code from a musty computer magazine? I'm sure there's SOME game-about-games from that era where it's an integral part of the experience, but I don't think you need to experience it in the exact way it was for it to work.

In fact, one of the interesting things about art is that the "art" is somewhat in the subjective experience. The art is created when I view the work and interpret it, and that's never the same between two different times I view the same work, much less people from different eras. Is Voltaire's Candide any less art because we don't exist in a space where we intuitively get his extremely dated cultural and geopolitical references? Is my experience of a game any less real because when I logged onto Battle.net I met a bunch of nice people rather than griefers? Is my experience being different because I used a bug to glitch through walls and you played it fairly mean one of us didn't experience "the art"? Hell, by that logic, does patching out a bug that existed at release invalidate the vision the same way an archive of a multiplayer game does? Is it valid because it was a change by "the artist". Does this suddenly make a server released by the game developer part of "the experience" because it's intended more than if a simple mock server is hacked together by fans?

It certainly changes the experience, I'll give you that, but I'm not sure the fact that it changes the experience is necessarily a problem. Art is living.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Feb 24, 2016

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
The idea of games being "killed" by servers going down doesn't really refer to multiplayer-only experiences. It's usually leveled at poo poo like Diablo 3 where core functions of the game (even in single-player) require an internet connection and so if the servers disappeared tomorrow the game would cease to be playable in literally any capacity because of technical aspects of the game's design rather than whatever masturbation about artistic vision that everybody is doing right now.

As far as I know, no bootleg servers are available either.

Acute Grill fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Feb 24, 2016

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Kalos posted:

The idea of games being "killed" by servers going down doesn't really refer to multiplayer-only experiences. It's usually leveled at poo poo like Diablo 3 where core functions of the game (even in single-player) require an internet connection and so if the servers disappeared tomorrow the game would cease to be playable in literally any capacity because of technical aspects of the game's design rather than whatever masturbation about artistic vision that everybody is doing right now.

There's no online requirement for the console versions, so you'll still be able to play it in some form.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Kay Kessler posted:

There's no online requirement for the console versions, so you'll still be able to play it in some form.

I didn't even know it had a console release.

But either way, the game as it existed on its initial release day represents the sort of thing people are actually worried about.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Kay Kessler posted:

Counterargument: Sims 4

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

This discussion has made me want to make a really pretentious art project where you play an MMO where the servers have shut down.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

watho posted:

This discussion has made me want to make a really pretentious art project where you play an MMO where the servers have shut down.

Make an MMO where if the playerbase finish the endgame it causes the servers to shut down.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Kalos posted:

I can't remember if it was Diablo 3 or SC2 or something from another developer where during a QA session before the game launched someone asked what to do if you're internet goes out and they just shrugged and went "I 'unno, play something else I guess."

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Leal posted:

Make an MMO where if the playerbase finish the endgame it causes the servers to shut down.

Like SAO?

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Leal posted:

I'm pretty sure I heard about something exactly like that in the 2000s.

KKall
Oct 15, 2012

Junior Jr. posted:

And now thanks to Disney shutting down Blip, copyright strikes and claims pretty much happening everywhere on YouTube, and Fair Use having little to no meaning anymore...the internet reviewing subculture is slowly becoming a dying form.

Fair Use Is A Defense And Not A Right

KKall fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Feb 24, 2016

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

watho posted:

Sonic Dreams

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Team Four Star's YouTube channel has been taken down apparently.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Okay

WampaLord posted:

Team Four Star's YouTube channel has been taken down apparently.

Okay that is some straight up bullshit thing to do

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Also:

https://twitter.com/teamfourstar/status/702326627649216513

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

hahaha loving youtube what is wrong with you

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Was it whoever is making Dragon Ball Super?

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Leal posted:

That's pretty close to how the Matrix Online basically ended.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I mean the majority of the time it's either
A) Random dudes spamming channels with frivolous claims
or
B) The auto-takedown algorithm being a dick again
so I'll just assume it's one of those again until further notice. In both cases it usually doesn't take that long for the channel to be fixed.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Augus posted:

or
so I'll just assume it's one of those again until further notice. In both cases it usually doesn't take that long for the channel to be fixed.

The other likely culprits are Toei Animation or Fuji TV. I don't know how aware Toei is about TFS's work or if they even approve of it like Funimation does, but they are incredibly zealous about protecting their IPs.

See: the vast graveyard of user accounts of people who've tried to upload episodes of Digimon in various copyright skirting ways.

My money's still on "random copyright troll", but Toei's also a viable culprit.

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*

Augus posted:

or

I remember back in the heyday of the YouTube Poop, people would constantly troll each other with false DMCA's, which is technically a crime, but, given that they were YouTube Poop channels, no one ever contested the claims and just made more channels, thus the false DMCAers never got caught.

It's gotten a bit more serious now that, you know, people actually depend on this service for their livelihood.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

That was one of the things that I was thinking of but not quite what I'm imagining. That entire thing is gold though.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Augus posted:

or
To add another layer to it I've also heard those weird nebulous Youtube networks use similar automated algorithms to search for their own librarys' footage being used online somewhere and send claims against anything that matches. For instance, if you make a video parodying VSauce and use a 5-second clip of one of his videos in the process and his network runs their program and finds your video, it automatically sends a copyright claim. I'm not saying VSauce's network would do this, I'm just using him as an example.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

MrSlam posted:

To add another layer to it I've also heard those weird nebulous Youtube networks use similar automated algorithms to search for their own librarys' footage being used online somewhere and send claims against anything that matches. For instance, if you make a video parodying VSauce and use a 5-second clip of one of his videos in the process and his network runs their program and finds your video, it automatically sends a copyright claim. I'm not saying VSauce's network would do this, I'm just using him as an example.

That sounds like bullshit, if only because I'm not sure YouTube would devote those kind of resources to small fries like VSauce. Those algorithms require some serious computing power, I doubt very much any laptop you can buy off the shelf could run them, so using that kind of power for the benefit of smaller channels who pull in maybe enough money for one guy to make a living is pretty unlikely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

SatansBestBuddy posted:

That sounds like bullshit, if only because I'm not sure YouTube would devote those kind of resources to small fries like VSauce. Those algorithms require some serious computing power, I doubt very much any laptop you can buy off the shelf could run them, so using that kind of power for the benefit of smaller channels who pull in maybe enough money for one guy to make a living is pretty unlikely.

It's not Youtube who's doing it, but independent Multi-Channel Networks. Also, VSauce has 9 Million subscribers, and 1 million can get you around $100K-$300K a year. Youtube and a good chunk of the top percentile of Youtubers are a business. MCN's typically take off around 50% of the ad revenue so I wouldn't put it past them to invest in being paranoid with their channels.

• Locked thread