Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
Did he not spend a year running a campaign to defame a black president because he's black?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jared Kush
Mar 4, 2015

by zen death robot
He did not. How do you feel about his proposed policies?

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
He's president of the entire country in the sense that there is only one president at any given time. In terms of his priorities, he's ostensibly obligated to pursue the policies that he campaigned and won on, even if they are pro-rich white people policies.

It's even more cut & dry in America than in a parliamentary system because you can't even say that he has a minority-majority rule (ie. Stephen Harper's Canada where he had a majority parliament but only ~30% of the popular vote).

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
I think you should look slightly into the past, because he absolutely did that. It was kind of hard to miss. First the black guy couldn't have been a US citizen, then he couldn't have gone to college.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

T r a v i s posted:

The longer liberals beat the "Trump is racist" dead horse instead of addressing his policy positions the weaker they look.

no kidding

Jared Kush
Mar 4, 2015

by zen death robot

ScrubLeague posted:

I think you should look slightly into the past, because he absolutely did that. It was kind of hard to miss. First the black guy couldn't have been a US citizen, then he couldn't have gone to college.

That didn't have anything to do with him being black, but you have already made up your mind anyway. Care to comment on Trump's campaign platform?

Donald Trump
Jan 31, 2016

by exmarx
We’re going to be the smart people. We’re not going to be the people that get pushed around all over the place. We’re going to be the smart people.You’re going to be proud of your president, and you’re going to be even prouder of your country.

The people in this country are amazing. The enthusiasm is unbelievable to see. The people of this country are absolutely amazing. I love you all very much. Remember, make America great again. We’re going to do it.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
https://twitter.com/BuzzFeedAndrew/status/702530138412552196

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

T r a v i s posted:

The longer liberals beat the "Trump is racist" dead horse instead of addressing his policy positions the weaker they look.

He has no policy positions, only platitudes and racism.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
Yeah, I think Muslims should be allowed to come to this country and millions of immigrants should not be forcibly removed from the country. I think closed borders are distinctly at odds with what this country has always been. But hey why just build an impractical wall at Mexico? We get illegal immigrants from Canada, at what point do we build a wall up there? It's not an illegal immigration crisis, immigration is not on the rise, so why are we wasting time talking about building a wall that won't keep people who want to get around the wall out?

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

Majorian posted:

He has no policy positions, only platitudes and racism.

Boycott Starbucks because they changed their cup. Forget about it seconds later when people stop giving a poo poo. Trump 2016

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
When did America stop being great? My life has gotten better every year I've been in it, America was already great. A man who wants to fundamentally change the country from great to something else is not worth my support.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

ScrubLeague posted:

Yeah, I think Muslims should be allowed to come to this country and millions of immigrants should not be forcibly removed from the country. I think closed borders are distinctly at odds with what this country has always been. But hey why just build an impractical wall at Mexico? We get illegal immigrants from Canada, at what point do we build a wall up there? It's not an illegal immigration crisis, immigration is not on the rise, so why are we wasting time talking about building a wall that won't keep people who want to get around the wall out?

America has historically allowed massive amounts of immigration because we have had a labor shortage until recently. Now we have a labor glut. Immigration is not on the rise, but jobs are scarce and wages are poo poo so when immigration remains steady or even drops off a little we are still being made worse off for it. We can't build a wall across the Canadian border and fewer immigrants come from Canada in any case.

Benjamin Arthur
Nov 7, 2012

T r a v i s posted:

It's not beating a dead horse when casual racism is a significant part of his rhetoric.

Benjamin Arthur
Nov 7, 2012

ScrubLeague posted:

When did America stop being great? My life has gotten better every year I've been in it, America was already great. A man who wants to fundamentally change the country from great to something else is not worth my support.

Conservatives generally feel America stopped being great roughly around the time that the US elected a black president.

as halfway crooks
Mar 7, 2007

by Shine

Benjamin Arthur posted:

It's not beating a dead horse when casual racism is a significant part of his rhetoric.

No more Oreos

Jared Kush
Mar 4, 2015

by zen death robot

Benjamin Arthur posted:

National origin and religious affiliation aren't races.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

T r a v i s posted:

National origin and religious affiliation aren't races.

Lumping all hispanic people staying illegally in the U.S. as "Mexicans" is racist. It's folks from all over Latin and South America and lumping them together is a lovely thing.

Jared Kush
Mar 4, 2015

by zen death robot
He referred to Mexicans because they make up a large proportion of illegal immigrants, because Mexico shares a border with the US.

Donald Trump
Jan 31, 2016

by exmarx
:qq:

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

T r a v i s posted:

goldmine

Jared Kush
Mar 4, 2015

by zen death robot

The Saurus posted:

1) Tell them to remember how Bernie was treated by pro-Clinton media, show them how even worse Trump has been, and first of all by FoxNews (and why do you think they might hate him so much?).

2) He doesn't owe any favour to big companies, and his plans go right against their interests

3) Stop wasting money for bad contracts obtained by corruption (especially for defense contractors)

4) For universal healthcare, and the end of State lines that favour big insurances' profits

5) For a State bargain on drug prices to lower the prices

6) Against perpetual war in the Middle East for the military industrial complex

7) Against tensions with Russia and a new cold war

8) Against being policemen of the world - make other countries take their own responsibility or pay for American defense

9) Invest massively on infrastructure

10) End of all unfair trade agreements including the TPP

11) Bring back jobs through protectionism

12) Wants to open the classified pages of 9/11 report.

13) Is WAY WAY MORE LIBERAL/MODERATE than all other Republican candidates (yes, even Kasich, who's a wolf in sheep clothing). Always been very much pro-LGBT, only issue he had was with the word marriage but even then he doesn't care either way. Defends Planned Parenthood against the conservatives and won't try to do anything against abortion. And he's also notoriously not religious.

14) He actually can win against Clinton big time because he appeals to people all accross the board.

15) Pro-Union Republican (hence why he's so popular in Michigan and other Rust Belt states)

16) Pro-gay and pro-choice, his SC picks will uphold gay marriage and abortion.

17) Legalize Marijuana at the federal level, opposes the drug war

18) Wants to end corporate inversions which allow corporations to offshore jobs and pay no tax. Wants higher taxes for hedge funds and financial speculation.

Liberals, please feel free to comment on any of these things, or keep repeating yourselves.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Talmonis posted:

Lumping all hispanic people staying illegally in the U.S. as "Mexicans" is racist. It's folks from all over Latin and South America and lumping them together is a lovely thing.

Moderates don't give a gently caress about any of this nonsense and are gonna think you are just trying to get a cheap shot on Trump.

(They think this because its obvious that you are.)

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

The Kingfish posted:

Moderates don't give a gently caress about any of this nonsense and are gonna think you are just trying to get a cheap shot on Trump.

(They think this because its obvious that you are.)

Moderates should have already be turned off by the "Rapists and Drug Dealers" comment.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

"individuals who have immigrated here through our southern border contrary to the laws of the United States"

This is how lizard people talk and voters are sick of it.

e^: go ahead and tell yourself whatever fantasy you want about what moderates think.

The Kingfish has issued a correction as of 19:59 on Feb 24, 2016

Jared Kush
Mar 4, 2015

by zen death robot

Talmonis posted:

Moderates should have already be turned off by the "Rapists and Drug Dealers" comment.

Drug dealers and rapists have crossed the border illegally though, so this seems like tone policing. You know who else had a problem with Trump's tone... Cuckservative.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

The Kingfish posted:

"individuals who have immigrated here through our southern border contrary to the laws of the United States"

This is how lizard educated people talk and voters are sick of it.

Let's be real here. I don't want a president who I'm smarter and more educated than. I want someone who can think his way out of problems. I want someone exceptional. The entire concept that we need some slack jawed moron who can chug beers to represent the country to the rest of the world might be pretty accurate measure of our people, but it's a bad idea for diplomacy.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

T r a v i s posted:

Drug dealers and rapists have crossed the border illegally though, so this seems like tone policing. You know who else had a problem with Trump's tone... Cuckservative.

The entire concept of "Tone Policing" is the dumbest loving thing I've ever encountered, left or right.

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

Talmonis posted:

Let's be real here. I don't want a president who I'm smarter and more educated than. I want someone who can think his way out of problems. I want someone exceptional. The entire concept that we need some slack jawed moron who can chug beers to represent the country to the rest of the world might be pretty accurate measure of our people, but it's a bad idea for diplomacy.

good news, trumps a tee totaler and has made decisions to make himself and his brand more popular and wealthy than you can possibly aspire

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Talmonis posted:

No, its how people talk when they are trying to be inoffensive or when they want fools to think they are intelligent. Actual smart people speak to communicate with their audience which is what Trump has proven brilliant at. If you actually haven't figured out yet that politics and diplomacy are all theater, then there is probably no saving you.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

InsanityIsCrazy posted:

good news, trumps a tee totaler and has made decisions to make himself and his brand more popular and wealthy than you can possibly aspire

if he just put his money in index funds initially, he'd be far richer than he is now. :cmon: he is not good at this, just insanely privileged

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

He might be richer, but nobody would know his name and he wouldn't be winning the GOP candidacy for President of the United States.

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

TheQat posted:

if he just put his money in index funds initially, he'd be far richer than he is now. :cmon: he is not good at this, just insanely privileged

its not about money

its about sending a message

a message that will Make America Great Again

Jared Kush
Mar 4, 2015

by zen death robot

TheQat posted:

Hahaha

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

TheQat posted:

Good lord why does this dumb take keep popping up. I remember you Qat, you're smarter than that.

Brannock posted:

Instead, Donald Trump has many huge buildings strewn across the country, personal helicopters, his own private jet, a large family, legions of employees catering to his needs and desires, enormous influence among media and elite circles, enjoyed decades of luxurious living, and is currently running for President, all at the opportunity cost of a couple extra billion dollars.

But yeah! If he just shoved everything in an index fund and sat patiently for decades like a monk, he'd be slightly richer today!

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

The Kingfish posted:

No, its how people talk when they are trying to be inoffensive or when they want fools to think they are intelligent. Actual smart people speak to communicate with their audience which is what Trump has proven brilliant at. If you actually haven't figured out yet that politics and diplomacy are all theater, then there is probably no saving you.

Of course politics and diplomacy are all theater. The point of which is typically to appeal to the most amount of people possible. Trump hasn't done that. He's alienated major groups of Americans by whipping the racists of the Republican base into a frenzy about them. Secondly, most people don't like it when you're obviously pandering to them. Republicans may be different, but that's not far fetched. The whole "Let's put a hay bale on stage and wear flannel" poo poo they all pull in Iowa is a good example. Granted, Iowa is the place they elected a woman for her ability to castrate a hog, so...

TheQat posted:

This. Trump was a complete fuckup, and it's a terrible indictment of how insulated from failure the rich are in our system that he isn't destitute.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

That would be a great talking point for him to use.

"America is so messed up, so unfair towards its workers, that I, fabulously successful realtor Donald Trump, might have been able to make more money just by investing it into these ridiculous interest funds! Obviously I chose to work hard and I'm proud of the many successes that I've had instead of just sitting around doing nothing, but its telling isn't it? How many of you think its ok for some people to just choose not to work??"

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

The Kingfish posted:

That would be a great talking point for him to use.

"America is so messed up, so unfair towards its workers, that I, fabulously successful realtor Donald Trump, might have been able to make more money just by investing it into these ridiculous interest funds! Obviously I chose to work hard and I'm proud of the many successes that I've had instead of just sitting around doing nothing, but its telling isn't it? How many of you think its ok for some people to just choose not to work??"

Come the gently caress on. Now you're just trolling.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
if your take is "he's made decisions to make his brand popular and wealthy" and his decisions have actually resulted in less wealth than just investing the money and sitting on it, i see that as relevant. sorry about your broken brains.

the brand is separate from my point. he is quite well-known but it's widely infamy (60% negative nationwide, 16% approval among republicans, 70% disapproval among democrats) rather than any positive perception. lots of people are widely infamous, that doesn't mean they made good decisions getting there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Talmonis posted:

Come the gently caress on. Now you're just trolling.

-David Brock, as Trump overtakes Hillary in October.

It's an obvious narrative that voters will identify with. Trump chose hard work instead of taking the easy way out. His opposition is trying to smear him for it despite his fantastic success.

• Locked thread