Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
heres my completely unwarranted opinion on BDO

i haven't read much about the game and had friends all over saying i should try it since i'm a fan of bad mmos

bdo is fun but not having read anything jesus the amount of options were confusing. pressing escape and seeing all the different menu options surprised me, but if you're on the fence you should push past it, its neat

i think i got to like 25 wizard or something, i don't remember since i didn't have time to play much, but i will definitely be playing it, its cool and good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazystray
Aug 7, 2005
Grow or die.

Huh, are fishing pacts boats in at launch? Despite how painful that guide made it sound, I now really want a fishing pact boat. I think this is going to be my main goal besides questing and leveling.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

crazystray posted:

Huh, are fishing pacts boats in at launch? Despite how painful that guide made it sound, I now really want a fishing pact boat. I think this is going to be my main goal besides questing and leveling.

same, fishing is chill

lot of dudes in the last CBT sitting on the rocks fishing, gently caress that i want a fishing trawler

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

crazystray posted:

Fishing boats are in, in the CBT2 there was one you could buy on the cash shop for 2000 pearls ($20), which I honestly hope they either take down or take out the boat license and just leave the cosmetic parts.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Kerrrrrrr posted:

Fishing boats are in, in the CBT2 there was one you could buy on the cash shop for 2000 pearls ($20), which I honestly hope they either take down or take out the boat license and just leave the cosmetic parts.

Yeah, people are angry about that. I'm angry too, cause you have to create an elaborate network of "workers" to build a boat, so it's kinda not fun if you can just buy one for bux.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
There are two things you need to worry about if you got a fishing boat.

Pirate npcs in galleons or viking ships
Pacts

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Third World Reggin posted:

Pacts

is there a way for players to steal boats

this is very important

The Quake
Nov 1, 2006

LumberingTroll posted:

Wizard and Witch should have been on the same line, they are the same class just different gender. This puts them at 18, which is twice the next highest.

Considering they haven't released awakening for either, and Daum has said they're going to be different for the genders, I don't think it's safe to assume they'll always be the same.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
I hope the wizard awakening is a sword and a staff, cause gently caress It it's fuckin' CLEARLY Gandalf.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Rafzakael posted:

is there a way for players to steal boats

this is very important

There wasn't during CBT2 as far as I could tell. Maybe that changes once you hit pvp levels.

crazystray
Aug 7, 2005
Grow or die.

Pacts

Wait, are there actually pirate or viking npc's???

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Pacts

Hold on, there's ship battles out there?
Or are you makin' jokes? Or are you havin' a giggle?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

The galleon I never saw but several people in mumble did.

The viking ship is a literal viking ship and we saw quite a few of them patrol the waters.

We did not attempt to board either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXzlF6n7P9s

Third World Reagan fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Feb 24, 2016

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
I straight up jumped on ships and rafts. As far as I could tell, there's no way to seize control and no extra interface. One person put their raft away while I was standing on it... That was interesting.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

So I found a video that describes the acitivies that I plan to do

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXGqQcYlVPE

basically all their side poo poo

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

So I found a video that describes the acitivies that I plan to do

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXGqQcYlVPE

basically all their side poo poo

BDO vidoes make me realize there is a WEALTH of content and this game is actually quite huge, it's just that none of these things are exactly straightforward and you really need to know how to do poo poo beforehand.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
My master plan is to stumble blindly around the game world with barely a clue how anything works then refer to guides when I find A Thing and get even more confused.

I'm definitely going to do that AFK fishing I heard about though when I'm doing other stuff.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
I'm just going to constantly be asking on mumble what to do as I get beat to death by bees.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

If you're having problems deciding what class to play, just pick Berserker. You'll get a 'No Fucks Given' Arm Cannon for your Awakening.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJ4VE_XkTTE

crazystray
Aug 7, 2005
Grow or die.

Lemon King posted:

If you're having problems deciding what class to play, just pick Berserker. You'll get a 'No Fucks Given' Arm Cannon for your Awakening.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJ4VE_XkTTE

For some reason I am stuck deciding between Berzerker and Ranger.

Berzerker seems unique, and all the grabs and throws are badass. The arm cannon does seem like an awesome awakening.

The Ranger seems way more useful overall for pvp, and is super mobile which is fun.

Probably level both up for a bit then pick whichever seems the most fun.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Kimsemus posted:

I'm just going to constantly be asking on mumble what to do as I get beat to death by bees.

Wait, did you also die to tiny bees?

gently caress bees, man. That quest was a pain on multiple levels: 1. it came after the owl hunting quest, which trained you to use a gun to shoot nigh invisible owls from the branches of mature trees -- but the matchlock didn't do poo poo to tiny beehives; 2. the beehives are in trees, but using your axe doesn't solve poo poo either; 3. those stupid bees are in two places in the entire game world, apparently, and the only really reachable zone at the time you receive the quest is totally overrun by other players frantically trying to punch invisible swarms and a scant few hives to death. (I got a little videogames mad at a bees quest, jesus.)

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Wait, where was this quest? I didn't run into anything related to bees.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

lurksion posted:

Wait, where was this quest? I didn't run into anything related to bees.

Alejandro's farm around the Heidel zone.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

North west of heidel is one of the quests that involve bees. Each time you kill some creature around there, bees also pop out to hit you.

The hunting one I never did cause I ain't falling for this rent to own poo poo.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Kimsemus posted:

it's just that none of these things are exactly straightforward and you really need to know how to do poo poo beforehand.

This is a weakness in the game for sure. They did a decent job with some of the tutorials that I experienced in CBT2 and there is probably more which I just never got around to seeing, but I never saw anything for half of what the game offers. They have their work cut out for them too. I don't think I have played an MMO where the thought of being the tutorial design guy strikes me as a more daunting task than this one. So many things!

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

When new people get in, remember two things. There is a play button and magnifying glass in the top right. Those are the intro tutorial videos and find nearby npc buttons. Use them.

The Quake
Nov 1, 2006

RedTonic posted:

Wait, did you also die to tiny bees?

gently caress bees, man. That quest was a pain on multiple levels: 1. it came after the owl hunting quest, which trained you to use a gun to shoot nigh invisible owls from the branches of mature trees -- but the matchlock didn't do poo poo to tiny beehives; 2. the beehives are in trees, but using your axe doesn't solve poo poo either; 3. those stupid bees are in two places in the entire game world, apparently, and the only really reachable zone at the time you receive the quest is totally overrun by other players frantically trying to punch invisible swarms and a scant few hives to death. (I got a little videogames mad at a bees quest, jesus.)

When my tamer went to that area there were no bees mostly because I think the server was hosed, when I went to that area with my Ranger the loving bees were everywhere man.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

At one point the server had a hiccup where everyone could still move but couldn't damage npcs and the npcs stopped moving for the most part.

After that, some areas had their npcs start to spawn underground. You could hear them walk around. It didn't fix itself until the server restarted.

The Quake
Nov 1, 2006

So one thing I'm still not sure on is awakenings. Is it just like a temporary transform thing or do you just get permanent access to a whole new skillset/weapon? I can't really find any info on it besides videos and people going "wow thats cool"

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

When new people get in, remember two things. There is a play button and magnifying glass in the top right. Those are the intro tutorial videos and find nearby npc buttons. Use them.

I clicked on the play button, but I did not mess with it much. Does it contain all tutorial videos or only those that you have already watched?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Xavier434 posted:

I don't think I have played an MMO where the thought of being the tutorial design guy strikes me as a more daunting task than this one.
My friend, have you heard of EVE Online?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

The Quake posted:

So one thing I'm still not sure on is awakenings. Is it just like a temporary transform thing or do you just get permanent access to a whole new skillset/weapon? I can't really find any info on it besides videos and people going "wow thats cool"
Permanent access to a whole new skillset and weapon, that you can swap to on the fly, even amidst combat.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

kalstrams posted:

My friend, have you heard of EVE Online?

Of course, but I have never played it. I don't doubt that some of the much older MMOs with complex systems were far worse when it comes to tutorials. I'm just saying that this game has a lot of systems to get used to. I did enjoy the tutorials that I experienced, but I only know about most of the systems because I have read about them either before or after CBT2. But again, that could just be because I did not run into them during my play time.

The Quake
Nov 1, 2006

kalstrams posted:

Permanent access to a whole new skillset and weapon, that you can swap to on the fly, even amidst combat.

Maybe I should be a Berserker Megaman then.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

kalstrams posted:

Do you have to use awakening stuff to stay competitive?

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

crazystray posted:

Wait, are there actually pirate or viking npc's???

I saw the red bandits icon out in the ocean once. I assume those are pirates comin' to steal yo fish.

KillTrash
Dec 6, 2007

Game Fiend
So CM_Jouska just confirmed the server names for launch, same as CBT2 but channel names could change.

[NA Server]
Edan
Orwen

[EU Server]
Alustin
Jordine

Source

crazystray
Aug 7, 2005
Grow or die.
Strawpoll created to decide which server to play on. Because gently caress bees.

http://strawpoll.me/6910973

Taran
Nov 2, 2002

What? I don't get to yell "I'LL FINISH THIS" anymore?

Grimey Drawer

crazystray posted:

Strawpoll created to decide which server to play on. Because gently caress bees.

http://strawpoll.me/6910973

That poll lacks sufficient bee representation. I demand a recount.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Taran posted:

That poll lacks sufficient bee representation. I demand a recount.

Yeah, where's the gently caress bees option?

A bee would make a good emblem too imo. Fuckin' bees.