Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

how did they do this

Aesop Poprock has a new favorite as of 09:57 on Feb 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

RareAcumen posted:

I asked that exact same question in another thread.

Do you guys like not post or read any of the subforums other than pyf? I mean even here its used pretty frequently

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Aesop Poprock posted:

Do you guys like not post or read any of the subforums other than pyf? I mean even here its used pretty frequently

I saw it, I just didn't know where it came from. I started noticing it happening kinda frequently in other threads and so I went there to hopefully get an answer. :v:

Aesop Poprock posted:

how did they do this

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

RareAcumen posted:

I saw it, I just didn't know where it came from. I started noticing it happening kinda frequently in other threads and so I went there to hopefully get an answer. :v:
It's just a joke to claim to be silly things in photos. It doesn't really have any huge backstory. I think it originated in fyad. It's been going on for years and years

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I'm the simple joke that continues to be overexplained

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

Aesop Poprock posted:

no because i'm too busy going outside and talking to girls to read more than one or two threads on the internet forums

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

gently caress that dinner

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Aesop Poprock posted:

It's just a joke to claim to be silly things in photos. It doesn't really have any huge backstory. I think it originated in fyad. It's been going on for years and years

I thought it had something to do with the book/movie Fight Club.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

I will bet :10bux: that this was made by someone who is pregnant.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

cash crab posted:

I will bet :10bux: that this was made by someone who is pregnant.

Not every nut leads to a pregnancy.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Tiggum posted:

Seems appropriate that it's served in a dog's food dish.
That's a Crock-Pot.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

PubicMice posted:

Can someone explain this joke? I don't internet.
Its "I noticed a thing in a photo". Its the worst and should be bannable. People will tell you its fun but its not.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I'm the ongoing goon allergy to jokes.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Its not a joke though, its just pointing out something in a photo. Its the same level of "joke" as "I see the x in the photo, do YOU guys?"

But its a silly thing to argue and internet humorists are going to do it anyway. Keep on keepin on I guess!

I would eat the hell out of that bacon ramen hotdog.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I like the "tagging yourself as a dumb thing from the photo" meme :shobon:

Here's some OC:

I made this stew last summer, during one of my "photograph all my food" phases. It was really good, but it's hard to make a pot of beef stew look like something besides a vat of brown-gray sludge. Note that this was after I tweaked color saturation to make it less gray on the wonderful Samsung phone camera that I was packing at the time :v:

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

deadly_pudding posted:

I like the "tagging yourself as a dumb thing from the photo" meme :shobon:

Here's some OC:

I made this stew last summer, during one of my "photograph all my food" phases. It was really good, but it's hard to make a pot of beef stew look like something besides a vat of brown-gray sludge. Note that this was after I tweaked color saturation to make it less gray on the wonderful Samsung phone camera that I was packing at the time :v:
Im the knob set to the off position

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Replace the sour cream with cottage cheese and you got Nachos Flanders Style

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Fish Of Doom posted:

Replace the sour cream with cottage cheese and you got Nachos Flanders Style

no, that's cottage cheese on cucumbers.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Cage posted:

Im the knob set to the off position

How right you are!

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

I'm the "avacoda sauce".

My grandmother had some kinda "southwest cooking for your family" type of cookbook from the 90s, which I wanna say was published by Readers Digest or something. Anyway, the guacamole recipe in there called for mayonnaise as the base. It was like a 50/50 mayo-guac blend. It's one of the most midwest.txt things I've ever encountered.

e: might have been Good Housekeeping as the publisher? I can't find it with a cursory google search, or I'd paste a cover photo.

deadly_pudding has a new favorite as of 19:16 on Feb 24, 2016

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

deadly_pudding posted:

I'm the "avacoda sauce".

My grandmother had some kinda "southwest cooking for your family" type of cookbook from the 90s, which I wanna say was published by Readers Digest or something. Anyway, the guacamole recipe in there called for mayonnaise as the base. It was like a 50/50 mayo-guac blend. It's one of the most midwest.txt things I've ever encountered.

e: might have been Good Housekeeping as the publisher? I can't find it with a cursory google search, or I'd paste a cover photo.

That sounds like a 1950s attempt at an "ethnic" recipe. The 1953 edition of Joy of Cooking has a curried chicken recipe that calls for 1/4 teaspoon of curry powder for six servings, and suggests seasoned salt if you can't find such an exotic ingredient.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

loving Flanders nachos. NACHOS HAVE CHIPS DAMNIT! Nachos are not "slices of cucumber because I hate chips and meat."

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
Nachos = Sliced cucumber and cold water for dipping.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Picnic Princess posted:

How right you are!
This is funnier than any "Im the x in this picture" posts

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx
Why do cucumbers suck so bad raw, but when pickled become amazing? Oh right, salt.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I'm the guy who won't shut up about how much they hate I'm the thing in the picture jokes

The Koreans have this love of short arm octopi, called jjukkumi in Korean. Sometimes in the springtime, the heads of these octopi are filled with eggs. The eggs, which look like little individual grains of rice, are considered a delicacy. They look like this:

Thing is, sometimes you get an octopus where the egg sac hasn't finished forming yet, and is still in the form of countless little threads. Then when you cook the octopus, the heat detaches the threads from their root and they end up floating around inside the octopus's head. Then you get this when you cut it open.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

deadly_pudding posted:

I'm the "avacoda sauce".

I've been to a few places in Mexico that threw crema/mayo in the guac, though usually only the tiniest amounts. It's weird that there was such a fuss over some newspaper recipe that put peas in guacamole, and people calling it "incorrect" or not "traditional" when Mexicans love throwing all kinds of poo poo in guacamole because straight avocados are pretty gross.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Solice Kirsk posted:

Not every nut leads to a pregnancy.

:v: Heh.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Plan Z posted:

I've been to a few places in Mexico that threw crema/mayo in the guac, though usually only the tiniest amounts. It's weird that there was such a fuss over some newspaper recipe that put peas in guacamole, and people calling it "incorrect" or not "traditional" when Mexicans love throwing all kinds of poo poo in guacamole because straight avocados are pretty gross.

Yeah, if I'm being honest I make a pretty impure guac myself. I put minced onions in there, and like a shitload of curry powder.

edit:
:psyduck:

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Scathach posted:

loving Flanders nachos. NACHOS HAVE CHIPS DAMNIT! Nachos are not "slices of cucumber because I hate chips and meat."

I make a thing we call Irish nachos. Here is how:

Cut a lot of potatoes into wedges, rinse, and put in a pyrex or ramekin or whatever you have to bake poo poo it
slam an entire stick of butter into it
salt it
cover with shredded cheese and bacon bits (the good ones, not the soy bacon cereal ones)
bake at like 375 until the potatoes are soft and the whole thing glistens with oils and fats like my forehead
top with chives
kill you are self (one bite at a time)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

AnonSpore posted:

I'm the guy who won't shut up about how much they hate I'm the thing in the picture jokes

The Koreans have this love of short arm octopi, called jjukkumi in Korean. Sometimes in the springtime, the heads of these octopi are filled with eggs. The eggs, which look like little individual grains of rice, are considered a delicacy. They look like this:

Thing is, sometimes you get an octopus where the egg sac hasn't finished forming yet, and is still in the form of countless little threads. Then when you cook the octopus, the heat detaches the threads from their root and they end up floating around inside the octopus's head. Then you get this when you cut it open.

I suppose that's considered even more of a delicacy.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Tharadalf posted:

There is a new kebab place near where I live and even though in their flyer they say that they are a true Turkish restaurant, they have this thing called 'Durum Hawaii'.

Yes, it is kebab with pineapple.

I have yet to gather my courage and try it.

Would like gently caress. :getin:

cash crab posted:

Ah, yes. I experienced a similar scenario with a bag of gummi worms, which I quickly found out were discreetly labelled as for diabetics. A tip: diabetic candy will give you Not So Much A Time if eaten in large quantities.

Eating too much sugar-free candy causes some amazing poo poo. Literally. http://www.amazon.com/Sugar-Free-Jelly-Belly-Assorted-case/product-reviews/B0015DA1HI

Going back to school lunch chat for a minute...my rural public school's wasn't too horrible (we had a decent salad bar and actual lunch ladies, most of whom were parents of students and thus DID give a bit of a crap about how well we were eating), but there was one weird rule where you had to take either a carton of milk OR a piece of fruit. You HAD to take one. You could NOT have both. To this day, I am confused as to how this fulfilled any nutritional standards, but they were hardcore about it and I got detention once for refusing. I transferred to private school after sophomore year and the food improved quite a bit, in both quality and quantity, and they had a better salad bar than I've ever seen in a restaurant. I wasn't supposed to eat the public school lunch, for the record, but if my mom was out of town, my dad would let me.

Then I went to university (in Canada, for comparison) and met a lot of students who were using their flex dollars at Pizza Pizza and McDonald's and poo poo places like that...a friend of a friend at another school gained 50 pounds in two months because she could use her meal card and all her food credit at any fast food place on or near campus, and she just plowed through garbage for every meal.

Working in Korea, school lunch was beautiful: usually two kinds of kimchi, rice, soup, and a vegetable, and then a number of main dishes. All public schools have an on-staff nutritionist. Kids are encouraged to clean their plates and they're free to get as much food as they like. Unfortunately, the food at my school was sugary as hell- sweet corn dogs? Sugar on the garlic bread?- and I actually gained ten pounds from eating in the cafeteria. Now that I'm in China, the food at school is quite varied and you get lots of choices, but it is occasionally rotten. Like, actually rotten. The school I teach at costs $16K USD a year, for the record.

In short, school lunch is pretty much always the loving worst. Everywhere.

Fleta Mcgurn has a new favorite as of 01:43 on Feb 25, 2016

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Data Graham posted:

I suppose that's considered even more of a delicacy.

No, people actually commonly mistake them for parasitic worms and throw them out. I dunno how they taste.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

bringmyfishback posted:

there was one weird rule where you had to take either a carton of milk OR a piece of fruit. You HAD to take one.

I'm fascinated by these despots who decreed you could have calcium or fibre, but not both. That's like going to a shoe store and only being allowed to leave with one shoe.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

cash crab posted:

I'm fascinated by these despots who decreed you could have calcium or fibre, but not both. That's like going to a shoe store and only being allowed to leave with one shoe.

I wish I could go back in time and be snotty and ask if I can have a milk and a fruit, but no actual lunch.

Also, I am now reminded that if I was lucky enough to get Tater Tots, I would eat them with mustard.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

FetusSlapper posted:

Why do cucumbers suck so bad raw, but when pickled become amazing? Oh right, salt.
Cucumbers are great raw. With salt.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

SLOSifl posted:

Cucumbers are great raw. With salt.

and just a touch of red wine vinegar.

Salty vinne cukes.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

FetusSlapper posted:

Raw cucumbers own, everything pickled tastes the same: like lovely vinegar and salt. :colbert:

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I know this kind of KD. It's when you don't add enough milk (or water if you're really poor) and it dries out and gets really sticky after 10 minutes.

Plus it's missing the ketchup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

VendaGoat posted:

and just a touch of red wine vinegar.

Salty vinne cukes.
Definitely. Pre-pickles are good shits.

• Locked thread