Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

ZenVulgarity posted:

But he's a grappler autist so ymmv

A sponsored by Red Bull grappler autist.

Jesus Christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cams
Mar 28, 2003

InnercityGriot posted:

Hey cams, I believe Laura beats Gief, how come you don't think so? It feels like charged fireball fucks his poo poo up.
in order to get off a 2 durability fireball without any chance of punishment, she has to be at almost full screen away. she does a great job keeping gief away with fullscreen fireballs, but she has to give up space the entire time. you gotta be patient and walk her into the corner, but if you do it there is 0 reason she shouls escape the corner against you.

"use your normals and be patient" shuts down laura's entire game plan. if you crack and start actually doing things laura can take advantage of, then yeah she can get her setups and resets going.

it's kind of why i doubt she'll get much love when it comes time to adjust the roster, because her inside game is legit. she just 100% relies on forcing errors to do get inside, and that's not a smart way to beat good players.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Zodiac5000 posted:

I'm really enjoying Necali right now. I've done a few long sets against my roommate's Birdie and it feels moderately even, because if you can get inside even once you're going to do about half of birdie's health and 75% of his stun in just a few seconds. Plus he gets crazy annoyed at how activating Super Saiyan is instant for Necali, so I can just do it on reaction to anything he does and figure out the safest response. I need to practice actual max-damage punishes, but right now I seem to be working out well just doing his easy MK-HK-V-skill target combo. I still haven't figured out a good way to use his horizontal dash attack, though. It's just so unsafe and dangerous that every time I do it I eat a massive punish. Am I missing something on how to use it or is it sort of a 'avoid this move' thing?

If you check my post history, earlier today I linked to a really useful Necalli resource that lists the best punishes for every matchup in the game right now.

EDIT: Beaten, but his dash punch is basically best used in two ways that I've seen:

1) Finishing a combo, or

2) Anti-airing with jumping MP, then as they land fire off an EX dash move

The point is that you want to push them into the corner; if you're hitting with MK reliably enough, try practicing linking crouching MP into LP dash, and that's a solid bread-and-butter combo for Necalli you've got down.

bhsman fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Feb 25, 2016

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
whats the diff between laura dash and command dash

XOIC of Radishes
Oct 1, 2009

I planted radishes in this special dirt and they came up all weird!
:science: :ughh:
As a fighting game n00b, I read Gootecks' new book, starting to use the training manual that came with it, watched his 3-part beginner tutorial and 3-part Xavier Woods SFV basics, and currently reading Patrick Millers' old book.

I can't wait to play the game, be terrible at it, but at least have some starting foundation to know why I'm sucking.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

XOIC of Radishes posted:

As a fighting game n00b, I read Gootecks' new book, starting to use the training manual that came with it, watched his 3-part beginner tutorial and 3-part Xavier Woods SFV basics, and currently reading Patrick Millers' old book.

I can't wait to play the game, be terrible at it, but at least have some starting foundation to know why I'm sucking.

http://www.sirlin.net/ptw-book/prologue

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
something that would be more helpful than reading 5 books would be playing the game

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008

dangerdoom volvo posted:

Probably missing a lot here, but normals can be cancelled into command dash, and in v trigger her command dash goes pretty far.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

dangerdoom volvo posted:

command dash can be cancelled into/out of with specials. laura secret i haven't fit into my game yet, she can cancel into specials at the end frames of her command dash.

cams fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Feb 25, 2016

XOIC of Radishes
Oct 1, 2009

Neat, will take a look.

dangerdoom volvo posted:

something that would be more helpful than reading 5 books would be playing the game

I'm trying to minor in saltology.

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

The way they handle lag in this game, do you need to hit buttons right on or a bit ahead?

Do people with fightpads use their fingers or thumbs on the face buttons (or is close to evenly split)?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Hydrocodone posted:

The way they handle lag in this game, do you need to hit buttons right on or a bit ahead?

Do people with fightpads use their fingers or thumbs on the face buttons (or is close to evenly split)?

I've seen the majority of pad players use fingers. The current Mad Catz fight pad also seems to prefer fingers based on the way it's shaped.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Wow that's like a billion times better than what we got

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

See, she photosynthesizes so she HAS to dress light.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I would have preferred this costume over the lol-rear end-chaps default she ended up with.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
New Laura has better hair.

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

Jmcrofts posted:

[physics engine disagrees during round-win pose]

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Jmcrofts posted:

Yeah keep the hair, but that first draft costume is better imo.

XOIC of Radishes
Oct 1, 2009

At this point I feel like the pants are there to help the belt not fall down, and not the other way around.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
I like her design fine now tbh.

I really would have liked cammy in pants this time though.

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
That Laura sucks and doesn't have the good hair. Halfrows rule.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

I always preferred Latif over wolfkrone as an sf4 viper.

It felt like wolfkrone played safe while latif was like always showing off.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Yes because everyone needs to blonde even the Brazilian girl.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

laura would be the type of girl who would dye her hair blonde probably

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

cams posted:

that's a terrible problem you have

No but for real your posts in this thread are a bunch of boring monotonous garbage.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

I know he's a pro player but for zangief troubles watch snake eyes.
http://www.twitch.tv/snake_eyez_
I even think Bison has trouble against him because zangief can kinda get a hit and just chill out and wait for you to do something (unless you just mash cr.lp a lot i guess)

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Laura's biggest flaw is that they didn't work a basketball into her moveset

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

We got the worst of all possible Lauras.

Except the hair. The hair stays.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

dhamster posted:

I'm going to be doing this. If you get hit, it's your own fault.

Okay, then I'm going to start kicking air like this.

...and if any part of you should fill that air, It's your own fault.

thank you for this post

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

sf5 only sold 42,000 physical copies in its first week in japan

ok folks pack up your bags game's dead

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

General Morden posted:

Don't they generally prefer poo poo in arcades anyhow?

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Brosnan posted:

No but for real your posts in this thread are a bunch of boring monotonous garbage.
remember that time you posted about how bad this game was

croutonZA
Jan 5, 2011

General Morden posted:

Senran Kagura officially more popular in Japan than Street Fighter.

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013

Sarchasm posted:

We got the worst of all possible Lauras.

Nah, Diva Style Dogi Mixed is worse than rear end Window

my girlfriend is Legos fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Feb 25, 2016

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Ag Bengip posted:

Nah, Diva Style Dogi Mixed is worse than rear end Window
i wish we had gotten gi top plus pants. gi top is rad.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Time for Day 2 in being bad at Street Fighter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vc96QM_EnhE

A few things, I'm happier with my movement, but I didn't tick throw despite trying to practice it. Perhaps I'm really stupid but I don't feel like it's that practical on Laura?

I still jump too much, but I have difficulty approaching as Laura.

Also the mic volume and sound should be fixed, although the video might be a bit loud so I'd suggest turning it down before you start it. If people are game I'll record a series of 5 games every so often trying to incorporate what I'm being told. But equally if you're sick of my voice just say and I'll stop.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

These are both better than the actual Laura

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I like it when Laura's hair clips through her arm in her winning animation