Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

You mean like the upswing in unemployment we'll have when you deport millions of consumers? :)

Ah yes, the consumers who earn less than minimum wage and send the majority of their earnings out of the country. Such a boon for the economy.

Much better than those jobs paying a living wage to American citizens which actually pay taxes and purchases goods and services here instead of in Mexico.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
The massive loss in consumer sales due to the deportation of illegal immigrants would be a bad blow to the economy that would not be offset by the increased prospects of marginalized youth (which would absolutely take time). The better solution, would be more enforcement. Make an entire new arm of the Department of Labor to do it. Hire a fuckload of investigators, and give them teeth. The most important thing is that unlike legal immigrants, even with Amnesty, they cannot vote. And I 100% stand behind that. Only citizens who came here the right way should be able to vote.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Majorian posted:

"Both" is a pretty dumb answer when one of those options will kneecap the economy.

a heavy blow to the economy experienced by the working class as employment opportunities and wage growth.

Donald Trump
Jan 31, 2016

by exmarx
Vote for me and I will permaban Talmonis and Majorian to make this thread great again.

as halfway crooks
Mar 7, 2007

by Shine

Majorian posted:

lol, you're dodging because the initial claim that I made that's being argued against was the following:

This was in response to Trump's asinine claim that "We are the only country in the world whose immigration system puts the needs of other nations ahead of our own." It seems pretty clear to me that you're doing everything you can to shift the focus of this discussion away from the fact that Trump doesn't know what he's talking about on this issue.

Can you see your bad logic here? I haven't made any posts about Trump's claims, only yours
Don't be defensive just because you made a specific claim about the effects of illegal immigration on agriculture that turned out to be untrue

You keep accusing me of "dodging" or "doing everything [I] can to shift the focus of this discussion" but I think that's actually what you're doing? Retreating from a specific claim while attempting to make it seems like you're not? Because this is the only "focus of this discussion" that I've been involved in

It's okay, Dunning-Kruger happens to everyone (although wow)
A bit more humility / self-awareness of what you know vs. what you don't know and you won't end up here (we can continue if you want though, it's been a while since I've had such :a2m: )

cuckservative
Feb 24, 2016

by Shine
TRUMP

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

The Kingfish posted:

a heavy blow to the economy experienced by the working class as employment opportunities and wage growth.

The evidence doesn't suggest that the working class will experience those benefits.

as halfway crooks posted:

Can you see your bad logic here? I haven't made any posts about Trump's claims, only yours
Don't be defensive just because you made a specific claim about the effects of illegal immigration on agriculture that turned out to be untrue

Where, exactly, did it turn out to be untrue? I was arguing against Trump's (and his supporters') position that wages across the board would benefit from the deportation of illegal immigrants. The evidence doesn't support that.

Now, if you do not believe in this part of Trump's platform, that's fine - I may have mistakenly assumed that you did. But it is an integral part of Trump's platform, and one that is at odds with the facts. Illegal immigrants do not, by and large, hurt the economy.

Majorian has issued a correction as of 23:24 on Feb 24, 2016

Jared Kush
Mar 4, 2015

by zen death robot

Majorian posted:

That would be incredibly costly and tie up the judicial system for a long, long time. Not going to happen.

Magical thinking. Not every disadvantaged urban youth can simply his or her bags, move to a rural area, and start working at the drop of a hat. Moreover, agriculture is becoming increasingly mechanized; one of the reasons why illegal immigrant labor is still employed is because overall it's cheaper than using machines to harvest crops.

He's talking about freeing up jobs in urban areas, not farms. Would you mind telling me what 'machismo-motivated' means?

as halfway crooks
Mar 7, 2007

by Shine

Majorian posted:

The evidence doesn't suggest that the working class will experience those benefits.

Where, exactly, did it turn out to be untrue? I was arguing against Trump's (and his supporters') position that wages across the board would benefit from the deportation of illegal immigrants. The evidence doesn't support that.

But hey, keep on moving those goalposts there, sport.

Majorian posted:

California's agricultural sector would collapse without migrant workers.

Majorian posted:

Majorian posted:

cuckservative
Feb 24, 2016

by Shine
lol if u think majorian is posting in good faith

or has ever posted in good faith

Jared Kush
Mar 4, 2015

by zen death robot
I'd like to ask a favor from everybody here, please do not reply to Majorian until he explains what 'machismo-motivated' means.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 18 days!)

The Saurus posted:

and send the majority of their earnings out of the country.

*citation needed

quote:

Much better than those jobs paying a living wage to American citizens which actually pay taxes and purchases goods and services here instead of in Mexico.

The jobs currently performed by undocumented workers are never going to earn a "living wage." Not unless the minimum wage is jacked way way up.

Quoth The Don:

quote:

But, taxes too high, wages too high, we’re not going to be able to compete against the world. I hate to say it, but we have to leave it (the minimum wage) the way it is. People have to go out, they have to work really hard and have to get into that upper stratosphere.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

T r a v i s posted:

He's talking about freeing up jobs in urban areas, not farms.

What sorts of jobs would those be, exactly?

quote:

Would you mind telling me what 'machismo-motivated' means?

Nah, I like the answers you're coming up with more.

Oh, that's the part you think I'm wrong on? LOL, okay:

Illegal immigrants comprise up to 38% of California's agricultural labor force, according to a study by the California Immigrant Policy Center. They also account for 14% of the construction industry. That would be a pretty massive economic blow if we were to suddenly deport them all.

In fact, all available evidence suggests that if the U.S. were to deport its illegal immigrant population, it would likely lead to a reduction in the number of available jobs in the U.S. Illegal immigration spurs employers to create more jobs, not less.

Majorian has issued a correction as of 23:34 on Feb 24, 2016

as halfway crooks
Mar 7, 2007

by Shine

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The jobs currently performed by undocumented workers are never going to earn a "living wage."

quote:

Demoralization is, in a context of warfare, national security, and law enforcement, a process in psychological warfare with the objective to erode morale among enemy combatants and/or noncombatants. That can encourage them to retreat, surrender, or defect rather than defeating them in combat.

Jared Kush
Mar 4, 2015

by zen death robot

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

*citation needed

You can cash checks with little or no ID and wire money in one convenient location in almost any low income neighborhood in America.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

t.
It's also not just a matter of farmers refusing to treat their workers like human beings, it's the economies of scale which make it impossible for small farms to operate without a low wage labor source. So unless you're operating on the behalf of a major ag corp, which can much more easily absorb the labor costs, you have to sell the plot. That means further consolidation of agricultural land, and monopolization.

Of course, none of this would actually be a problem if you granted amnesty to illegal workers. Or socialized agriculture.

If you granted amnesty to illegal workers, it would have the exact same effect as deportation - small farmers would be forced to pay a living wage and therefore shut down in favour of larger farms according to you.

If small farms aren't economically productive enough to survive without semi-slave labour - then they shouldn't exist. There's nothing inherently good about having small farms rather than larger ones, they're all capitalists large or small.

as halfway crooks
Mar 7, 2007

by Shine

Majorian posted:

Nah, I like the answers you're coming up with more.

Oh, that's the part you think I'm wrong on? LOL, okay:

Illegal immigrants comprise up to 38% of California's agricultural labor force, according to a study by the California Immigrant Policy Center. They also account for 14% of the construction industry. That would be a pretty massive economic blow if we were to suddenly deport them all.

The paper you posted, lol posted:

"Among the most affected sectors... longrun relative declines from 2.0 to 5.4 percent in output"

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 18 days!)

T r a v i s posted:

You can cash checks with little or no ID and wire money in one convenient location in almost any low income neighborhood in America.

Technically feasible. It's still not a hard number, only a plausibility that fuels the assumption.

Optimism doesn't magically make wages go up.

The Saurus posted:

If you granted amnesty to illegal workers, it would have the exact same effect as deportation - small farmers would be forced to pay a living wage and therefore shut down in favour of larger farms according to you.

If small farms aren't economically productive enough to survive without semi-slave labour - then they shouldn't exist. There's nothing inherently good about having small farms rather than larger ones, they're all capitalists large or small.

The minimum wage is not a living wage.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

That is referring specifically to "Fruits, tree nuts, vegetables, and nursery production." You unbelievable dolt.

e: Plus the evidence does, indeed, suggest that wages would not improve among legal workers if we stopped employing illegal workers.

Also California is facing a shortage of agricultural workers, not a glut, and has been for years now.

Trump's position doesn't have a leg to stand on. It's all about fear of scary foreigners and non-whites.

Majorian has issued a correction as of 23:48 on Feb 24, 2016

Jared Kush
Mar 4, 2015

by zen death robot
Let's dispel with the fiction that illegals are indispensible to the economy as consumers, they buy everything they can at thrift stores or dollar stores.

as halfway crooks
Mar 7, 2007

by Shine

Majorian posted:

That is referring specifically to "Fruits, tree nuts, vegetables, and nursery production." You unbelievable dolt.

Yes, the "most affected sectors" (in agriculture)
I tried to help by using the numbers most favorable for you :)

That's your Alamo - "collapse" is a 5% decline in tree nut output (or, in other sectors, less) in exchange for a 10% wage increase in the income level with the highest multiplier?

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum
I guess unsurprisingly goons know absolutely nothing about farms.

You have a national pool of undocumented laborers who spend 6 months in an area (two seasons of agricultural products, basically) and then move to another area.

Lets call this the undocumented migrant labor force.

http://nfwm.org/education-center/farm-worker-issues/low-wages/

NFWM posted:

Most farm workers are paid based how many buckets or bags they pick of whatever crop they harvest—this is known as the “piece rate.” Payment in this format has some drawbacks.
First of all, if workers are being paid by how much they pick, this acts as a disincentive to take breaks for water or shade, as taking breaks would cut into their productivity and thus cut into their pay.
Additionally, it’s possible for a farm worker being paid by piece rate to make less than the minimum wage. For instance, the piece rate for orange juice in Florida is 85 cents per 90-pound box of oranges. Average productivity for a worker is 8 boxes per hour, which means that during an 8-hour workday, a worker will produce 64 boxes of oranges (or 5,760 pounds of oranges!). According to the 85 cents piece rate, a worker would receive only $6.80 an hour, which is significantly less than Florida’s $7.31 minimum wage (as of 2011).

To compensate for this problem, as of 1966, federal law requires employers on large farms to pay minimum wage if a worker doesn’t earn it based on the piece rate. Unfortunately, there are loopholes to this system.
For one, about one-third of the nation’s farm workers work on small farms, and these are not subject to federal law surrounding minimum wage. If a farm worker is hired through crew leaders or farm labor contractors, which approximately one half of all farm workers are, then their growers can avoid state and federal-level employment laws, including minimum wage. Another common issue amongst farm workers is wage theft, in which a portion of a worker’s wage is stolen by their employer or supervisor. Unfortunately, oversight on this is lax.

At the end of the day, a law is only as strong as its enforcement. In the case of workers in our country’s fields, labor laws are poorly enforced at best, and at worst, farm workers are paid very little or no wages and work under modern slavery conditions.

http://www.cnbc.com/2014/05/06/state-of-american-farming-big-producers-dominate-food-production.html

quote:

Large farms with over $1 million in sales account for only 4 percent of all farms, but 66 percent of all sales. That's up considerably from 1 percent of all farms and 50 percent of all sales a decade ago.

However, three quarters of all U.S. farms gross only $50,000 a year and currently account for only 4 percent of product sales.

All told, there are some 3.2 million farmers operating 2.1 million farms on 914.5 million acres of farmland across the United States.

"It's not terribly surprising that a relatively small number of farms produce the lion's share of products," said Darren Hudson, a professor of agriculture and applied economics at Texas Tech University.
"Most of the smaller farms are 'hobby' farms with significant sources of off-farm income," he said. "They are large in number but have very small output."
"Most of it is driven by the local, fresh food movement," said Texas Tech's Hudson. "This is good in that it offers farmers some diversification in market channels, so they're not completely dependent on large agribusiness firms to move products."
If the recent findings—which cover the years from 2007 to 2012—do one thing, said Justin Gardner, a professor of agribusiness at Middle Tennessee State University, they dispel a common misconception.
"Most farms in the U.S. are not the big corporations people think," he said. "If you look closer I suspect that you will find that the majority of the 'corporate' farms are large family farms that found it beneficial to form a corporation."

1) Most of the undocumented Migrant labor force works on these smaller, more labor intensive, less productive farms.
2) These smaller farms cannot afford to pay a living wage and remain profitable.
3) While increased farm wages 'don't make it to your table' that has nothing to do with the profit margins of smaller farms, whose owners make a median income of $61,000 a year. That has everything to do with-
4) The Agricultural production of the US has been trending towards larger farms producing more food, with 4% having over a million dollars in sales and producing 66% of the food.
5) The top 4% are not reliant at all on an undocumented migrant labor force to produce or harvest food.
6) Please keep in mind that Agricultural work for an undocumented migrant laborer sucks. The work is hard, the pay is low compared to other jobs in the economy, and there is no job security. It is only better compared to the deprivation of the places the migrant labor force is coming from and the relative strength of the US dollar.

You could keep the undocumented migrant labor force. This means no amnesty / path to citizenship, because if that is offered, why would they continue to allow themselves to be exploited? Their very status as undocumented workers deprived of the same legal protections and fair wage standards is what allows the current status quo to continue. If you change the status quo via a path to citizenship or amnesty program, you prevent the exploitation. Please remember, with these exploitative practices, the median income for a farmer in the US is $61,000. As the article said, most are 'hobby farms' supported by some other income source, or which sell at very marked up prices (not supermarket prices) as part of the local foods movement.

This is not universal. The PA Amish exist as agricultural producers. But their land is worth far more than the value they get from farming it; they are farming for religious and cultural reasons, not economic necessity.

You can grant amnesty / path to citizenship / etc for the undocumented migrant labor force. Then they can move to more productive areas of the economy, with many of the older workers probably staying in the farming sector temporarily, but since they would be required to be paid minimum agricultural wage, be eligible for social security disability, and have a host of other factors going for them, I can't imagine they would continue to work. Smaller and medium sized farms would fold, and larger agribusiness would move in to fill the gaps, since it is significantly less labor intensive.

Certain foodstuffs that must be picked by hand would either increase in price appropriately, or disappear from US production.

Lastly, you can deport all migrants, which would do the same thing as above, except cost more and necessitate a degree of violence; deportation can only work when done at the barrel of a gun, so you have to be comfortable with enforcing such laws through deadly force.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Yes, the "most affected sectors" (in agriculture)
I tried to help by using the numbers most favorable for you :)

That's your Alamo - "collapse" is a 5% decline in tree nut output (or, in other sectors, less) in exchange for a 10% wage increase in the income level with the highest multiplier?

Looks like you didn't read even the introduction of the paper. This is a simulation positing "a 5.8-million-person decrease in the total number of unauthorized workers in all sectors of the economy, including agriculture." That's nationwide. Not just restricted to California. Given that California has by far the most illegal immigrant workers, and given that agriculture is California's largest industry, I think it's safe to say that no, you're wrong - the effects of ending illegal immigration would have a much larger effect on California's agricultural production.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
as halfway crooks - you still haven't responded to what I posted about CA facing an agricultural labor shortage, not a labor glut.

Jared Kush
Mar 4, 2015

by zen death robot

There aren't a lot of "more productive areas of the economy" to move to for people who speak little or no English, so many would go on welfare if given citizenship, and that's not even taking into account the illegals in many other industries. The word 'gun' doesn't provoke the same reaction in most people as it gets from liberals.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

Majorian posted:

Construction, hotel, restaurant, warehouse, housekeeping, beauty and hairdressing.

e: A slow trickle of amnesty would not solve anything. The huge exploitable labour force would still he present, except even larger because people would want to come to work illegally for years in the hopes of obtaining a green card.

The only kind of amnesty you could have would be to legalize them all in one fell swoop - After building the wall and improving border control. Or deport them - same difference

The Saurus has issued a correction as of 00:37 on Feb 25, 2016

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

The Saurus posted:

Construction, hotel, restaurant, warehouse, housekeeping, beauty and hairdressing,

You know what I'm going to ask you for, right?

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

T r a v i s posted:

There aren't a lot of "more productive areas of the economy" to move to for people who speak little or no English, so many would go on welfare if given citizenship, and that's not even taking into account the illegals in many other industries. The word 'gun' doesn't provoke the same reaction in most people as it gets from liberals.

Nobody said give them citizenship. That would be stupid.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

Majorian posted:

You know what I'm going to ask you for, right?

http://www.pewhispanic.org/2015/03/26/share-of-unauthorized-immigrant-workers-in-production-construction-jobs-falls-since-2007/

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

T r a v i s posted:

There aren't a lot of "more productive areas of the economy" to move to for people who speak little or no English

Within ten years of being in the U.S., 75% of immigrants can speak English well. I'm not sure why you think Latinos have such poor work ethic that they'd immediately get on the dole if offered citizenship.

Also, w/r/t your question about Trump and machismo, which I'm sorry I missed: take his bizarre rhetoric on the Iran deal, for instance. Or, for that matter, his weird conspiracy theories about the Mexican government engineering the downfall of the U.S. via its Mexican rapist illegal migrants.:tinfoil: If you want that in charge of the U.S.' foreign policy, you're a fool.

The, errr, headline doesn't seem to be supporting your case there, slugger. Or any of the study beneath the headline, for that matter. In fact, it kind of makes it seem like illegal immigration, perhaps, isn't the problem Trump makes it out to be?

Jared Kush
Mar 4, 2015

by zen death robot
Liberals want a President who won't act like a total Chad about the Middle East.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
lol if you think Trump will cause fewer wars than any of his competitors.

Jared Kush
Mar 4, 2015

by zen death robot
Trump is all done if he ends up running against Hillary because it'll only be a matter of time before he mansplains something and totally buries his approval rating once and for all.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

Majorian posted:

The, errr, headline doesn't seem to be supporting your case there, slugger. Or any of the study beneath the headline, for that matter. In fact, it kind of makes it seem like illegal immigration, perhaps, isn't the problem Trump makes it out to be?

It shows that illegals are working in large numbers in all the industries I listed, "slugger". Industries that could be providing jobs for urban African-Americans.

The headline might say that it's decreased slightly over the last few years - Until it decreases to zero, there's still a huge problem.

as halfway crooks
Mar 7, 2007

by Shine

Majorian posted:

e: Plus the evidence does, indeed, suggest that wages would not improve among legal workers if we stopped employing illegal workers.

Also California is facing a shortage of agricultural workers, not a glut, and has been for years now.

Trump's position doesn't have a leg to stand on. It's all about fear of scary foreigners and non-whites.

Majorian posted:

Looks like you didn't read even the introduction of the paper. This is a simulation positing "a 5.8-million-person decrease in the total number of unauthorized workers in all sectors of the economy, including agriculture." That's nationwide. Not just restricted to California. Given that California has by far the most illegal immigrant workers, and given that agriculture is California's largest industry, I think it's safe to say that no, you're wrong - the effects of ending illegal immigration would have a much larger effect on California's agricultural production.

So you're saying that it's a national decline of 5% in the (most affected) case of tree nut output? You mean it could be even more in California?

ITT: bad leftist poster "Majorcan" doesn't understand GNP vs. income, gets owned by his own paper (lol), desparately searches "illegal immigrant impact evidence" and skims the third link he finds. "An NGO? This'll do," he thinks as he edits his post (again), "I'll need to add something though - a newspaper article."

:sweep:

edit: I edit my posts just like Majorian, why didn't you reply to my edit that was made after your last reply hey why

as halfway crooks has issued a correction as of 01:31 on Feb 25, 2016

as halfway crooks
Mar 7, 2007

by Shine

Majorian posted:

But hey, keep on moving those goalposts there, sport.

Majorian posted:

The, errr, headline doesn't seem to be supporting your case there, slugger.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
All this talk about the dubious merits of a permanent illegal immigrant underclass is interesting and all, but what if - ultimately - it's as simple as not wanting illegal immigrants in the country as a matter of principle?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

So you're saying that it's a national decline of 5% in the (most affected) case of tree nut output? You mean it could be even more in California?

ITT: bad leftist poster "Majorcan" doesn't understand GNP vs. income, gets owned by his own paper (lol), desparately searches "illegal immigrant impact evidence" and skims the third link he finds. "An NGO? This'll do," he thinks as he edits his post (again), "I'll need to add something though - a newspaper article."

:sweep:

edit: I edit my posts just like Majorian, why didn't you reply to my edit that was made after your last reply hey why

LOL, that's a lot of words just to say "I support racist policies that would hurt the American economy for no good reason.":golfclap:

the trump tutelage posted:

All this talk about the dubious merits of a permanent illegal immigrant underclass is interesting and all, but what if - ultimately - it's as simple as not wanting illegal immigrants in the country as a matter of principle?

Nothing wrong with opposing illegal immigration as a matter of principle, it's just a question of what's the best way to deal with those who are already here, paying taxes, buying our poo poo, etc.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

Majorian posted:

Nothing wrong with opposing illegal immigration as a matter of principle, it's just a question of what's the best way to deal with those who are already here, paying taxes, buying our poo poo, etc.

Well we have a wide range of choices on offer this election for the American people ot choose from. Personally I favour "immediate deportation"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

the trump tutelage posted:

Here is the most substantive answer either of the comically contrarian leftists posting today will give you:

• Locked thread