Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Epiphyte posted:

Check out Dead Hand

http://www.amazon.com/The-Dead-Hand-Untold-Dangerous/dp/0307387844

The Russians built a sort of quasi doomsday system to ensure they could retaliate if their command structure got wiped out. Ostensibly it was supposed to help the decision makers not make rash choices in the case of probable false alarms because they would know that the missiles could be fired even if they were dead, but I don't know that the psychology really works that way.
From what I understand, Dead Hand is far more speculative and not nearly as well sourced as Command & Control. Not surprising, given the Russian/Soviet governments' penchant for secrecy.

Blistex posted:

Everyone needs to read "Sled Driver: Flying the World's Fastest Jet". It's about the SR-71 and you can usually pick up used copies on Amazon for pretty cheap.
The cheapest one is $350 right now. You're better off trying inter-library loan. Or hunting in used book stores, sometimes they don't know what they have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

Dead Reckoning posted:

The cheapest one is $350 right now. You're better off trying inter-library loan. Or hunting in used book stores, sometimes they don't know what they have.

You can buy the re-release directly from Brian Shul for less than that: http://galleryonepublishing.com/ There are even limited editions with signatures and extra crap. I fully intend to buy the limited edition set one of these days.

e: it's still expensive as gently caress, but at least the money is going directly to the author?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Dead Reckoning posted:

From what I understand, Dead Hand is far more speculative and not nearly as well sourced as Command & Control. Not surprising, given the Russian/Soviet governments' penchant for secrecy.

Dead Hand covers something that is still ongoing - the Soviet bioweapons program, so yeah, the dude doesn't get to talk to people currently involved. It also won a pulitzer prize.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
USAF did a minuteman footshot
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...os-Angeles.html

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7rjed4ikc5p6vre/For%20goons.rar?dl=0

So here's the photos. I was going to give you all of them, but that clocked up at 1.6gb :staredog: and that's just a bit much. So here I have culled quite a few to give you a much more reasonable 700mb.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

You can buy the re-release directly from Brian Shul for less than that: http://galleryonepublishing.com/ There are even limited editions with signatures and extra crap. I fully intend to buy the limited edition set one of these days.

e: it's still expensive as gently caress, but at least the money is going directly to the author?

A couple (hundred?) pages back somebody posted a PDF of it that was floating around the internet.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Blind Man's Bluff is really good and about Cold War shenanigans.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Not directly air power or Cold War but I enjoyed The Sword and the Shield: The Mitrokhin Archive and the Secret History of the KGB. The writing is dry as hell, but it's amazing (and a bit scary) how effective the KGB was pre and during-WW2.

E: There's plenty of Cold War stuff in there too, but the book makes it seem like bureaucracy took a lot of the initiative away post-WW2 and made the spies less effective.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Feb 24, 2016

Diabeesting
Apr 29, 2006

turn right to escape

Nebakenezzer posted:

Dead Hand covers something that is still ongoing - the Soviet bioweapons program, so yeah, the dude doesn't get to talk to people currently involved. It also won a pulitzer prize.

The book Biohazard by Ken Alibek was pretty god drat terrifying, and he lead the drat program for years before loving off to the USA. There's a good part in there where a fermenter breaks down and he's walking ankle deep in a soup of rabbit fever, catches it, stays home for a few days taking crash doses of tetracycline then heads back to work without telling anyone.

The Biopreparat is scary as hell.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Munnin The Crab posted:

The book Biohazard by Ken Alibek was pretty god drat terrifying, and he lead the drat program for years before loving off to the USA. There's a good part in there where a fermenter breaks down and he's walking ankle deep in a soup of rabbit fever, catches it, stays home for a few days taking crash doses of tetracycline then heads back to work without telling anyone.

The Biopreparat is scary as hell.

Alibek was the "First Deputy Director" of Biopreparat, and after his defection he's embraced capitalism so much that not a single major news outlet will touch him. Even during the Ebola scare, he got no screentime, as he gave up his shot at being a serious biowarfare/infectious disease expert to shill his "immunity formula" to Preppers.

So aside from the poo poo he told the CIA and USAMRIID to get asylum and citizenship, which is probably still under TS-SCI, pretty much take whatever else he says with a grain or twenty of Brian Williams-grade salt. He will do or say anything to get mentioned or referenced in an article, book, or paper.

But yes, aside from that, Biopreparat is scary as gently caress, mostly because they have and work with the India-1 strain of Smallpox, which has a higher incidence rate of turning hemorrhagic and thus is wayyyyyy more lethal than the Harper strain the CDC bases most of its research and study on.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Feb 24, 2016

Epiphyte
Apr 7, 2006

The stuff the USAMRIID guys say about Bioprepat in The Hot Zone was creepy enough, and they saw it after the wall fell and they tried cleaning up/hiding the worst of the poo poo

A Higher Form of Killing is a good overview of the birth of chemical/biological weapons and has some good info on the later Western programs, but only a few anectdotal Soviet stories.

The Brits got up to some mindblowing poo poo involving human testing

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Smiling Jack posted:

Blind Man's Bluff is really good and about Cold War shenanigans.

Yeah, Blind Man's Bluff is quite good, some really neat sub stuff.

I tried Dead Hand but got bogged down in all the Saint Reagan fellating. It wasn't nearly as engaging as Command and Control.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

quote:

The Brits got up to some mindblowing poo poo involving human testing
Mind expanding on this a little bit? This is a topic I know almost nothing about but am rather interested.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Flipswitch posted:

Mind expanding on this a little bit? This is a topic I know almost nothing about but am rather interested.

The very tl;dr version is that the Brits:

-extensively tested live chemical and biological weapons on unwitting soldiers for decades, and they killed or permanently disabled a shocking number of them in the process;

-when the families of said dead soldiers sought answers/compensation, they were basically told "OFFICIAL SECRETS, gently caress OFF FOREVER"; and

-rendered an entire island potentially uninhabitable for centuries with anthrax testing.

There are a lot of other terrible things they did too in their chemical/biological weapons programming., but these are the big ones that came to mind immediately.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

MrChips posted:

-rendered an entire island potentially uninhabitable for centuries with anthrax testing.

Wikipedia seems to think that Gruinard Island has been effectively decontaminated. I guess nobody is going to be in a rush to actually live there, but apparently sheep have been living there without issue since 1990. Unless you mean that they didn't know at the time that they'd be able to clean it up afterwards, which would be entirely reasonable.

mkdnn02
Jan 26, 2004

PittTheElder posted:

Wikipedia seems to think that Gruinard Island has been effectively decontaminated. I guess nobody is going to be in a rush to actually live there, but apparently sheep have been living there without issue since 1990. Unless you mean that they didn't know at the time that they'd be able to clean it up afterwards, which would be entirely reasonable.

Sounds good, you move there first!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Well time to check in with how the Canadian Surface Combatant project is going to replace the destroyers and frigates..

The Ottawa Citizen posted:

On Monday, Public Services Minister Judy Foote announced that Steve Brunton has been selected as “expert advisor” to assist the government on the National Shipbuilding Procurement Strategy.

Brunton is a retired Rear Admiral from the United Kingdom’s Royal Navy with experience in overseeing shipbuilding programs and naval acquisitions

Well poo poo

Article here: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/News/11738845/story.html

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

priznat posted:

Well time to check in with how the Canadian Surface Combatant project is going to replace the destroyers and frigates..

Well poo poo

Article here: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/News/11738845/story.html

Is there something specifically bad about Brunton being chosen to advise, or is it a general "RN ship building has been a dumpster fire, now Canada's gonna catch it" joke?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Davin Valkri posted:

Is there something specifically bad about Brunton being chosen to advise, or is it a general "RN ship building has been a dumpster fire, now Canada's gonna catch it" joke?

Pretty much the latter. Because of the Queen E. The Type 45 seems alright but I don't like it because it looks doofy as all hell.

He'll probably bring in BAE to gently caress us up the butt.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

priznat posted:

Pretty much the latter. Because of the Queen E. The Type 45 seems alright but I don't like it because it looks doofy as all hell.

Eh, you might get lucky and just get a modified FREMM or one of the Scandinavian boats though. As far as I know (not much more then technical specs) they are pretty capable boats. I'd certainly see more value in something like the Iver Huitfeldt for open water work than I do the current LCS.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

priznat posted:

Next from Chuck Tingle: Pounded in the Butt by My Own Byzantine Procurement System

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

priznat posted:

Type 45 has had some - almost LCS - issues:
http://www.ft.com/fastft/2016/01/29/refitting-royal-navys-combat-ship-engine-to-cost-tens-of-millions/

But I can see where a GCS type ship could be a great solution for a lot of NATO navies if you want to add capability. 12 strike length cells that can shoot ASROC/tomahawks/LSRAMs plus shorter cells for ESSMs. I think I read somewhere that the block 2 version is going to add an active seeker. Otherwise it seems a FREMM type solution would be great too.

Shame the LCS is so meh for the export market. Why we didn't include regular VLS...

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

jadebullet posted:

Hey guys, I finally managed to catch up to the end of the thread after months of reading.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion of Command and Control, that was a really interesting book. I was just curious if you guys had any other cold war reading suggestions, or if there are any Soviet counterpart books to Command and Control?

The Dead Hand.

E,f,b.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Mazz posted:

Eh, you might get lucky and just get a modified FREMM or one of the Scandinavian boats though. As far as I know (not much more then technical specs) they are pretty capable boats. I'd certainly see more value in something like the Iver Huitfeldt for open water work than I do the current LCS.

http://www.janes.com/article/58286/harpoon-set-for-lcs-live-fire-test-at-rimpac-2016

All of the blue water problems for the LCS will be solved now! :haw:

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
The LCS needs at least an 8 cell VLS before I can see it doing anything more than shooting at speed boats. Half the modules for its specialized roles either still don't exist or have been cut back significantly (IIRC).

This is especially true since that Harpoon replacement missile is going to be VLS required in block 2 or whatever.

It is a start though, I guess. Too bad we've already built like 10.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Feb 24, 2016

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

http://www.189aw.ang.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123469559

So this is pretty sweet, someone strapped a LITENING precision targeting pod to a C-130.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Prop Wash posted:

http://www.189aw.ang.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123469559

So this is pretty sweet, someone strapped a LITENING precision targeting pod to a C-130.
Apparently to support JPADS or something like it?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
It opens a lot of doors, several of which are mentioned near the end of the article. NTISR is probably another idea that might actually give it a chance at getting funded.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Godholio posted:

It opens a lot of doors, several of which are mentioned near the end of the article. NTISR is probably another idea that might actually give it a chance at getting funded.

Every time someone says, "I know, lets take a mobility asset and give it <capability> for ~*~Non-Traditional Missions~*~!!!", I die a little on the inside. Yeah, let's hang a JDAM on the wing of every KC-135 and KC-10 over Afghanistan, that way we'll have 24/7 CAS coverage when they're just sitting there making left turns. Nothing can go wrong with this idea!

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

standard.deviant posted:

Apparently to support JPADS or something like it?

Yeah basically. If you can use those pods to drop bombs accurately, you can use them to drop almost anything else accurately too. It would in theory be best for jpads (which is itself similarly stolen from fighters) but it works with anything.

It's strange that they're fielding it with the H models instead of the J, because the J can make much better use of the data it provides. At least, it's strange until you realize that it's Guard tails getting modded and oh hey a new ISR capability throw money at us. Still, from a purely airdrop perspective, it's a method of making airdrops more precise than ever before, at a much lower cost.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

^Holy poo poo :lol:

Prop Wash posted:

Yeah basically. If you can use those pods to drop bombs accurately, you can use them to drop almost anything else accurately too. It would in theory be best for jpads (which is itself similarly stolen from fighters) but it works with anything.

It's strange that they're fielding it with the H models instead of the J, because the J can make much better use of the data it provides. At least, it's strange until you realize that it's Guard tails getting modded and oh hey a new ISR capability throw money at us. Still, from a purely airdrop perspective, it's a method of making airdrops more precise than ever before, at a much lower cost.

They had two H model tails that were already pylon-ready from a previous test program.

DR while I agree kinetic mods are ridiculous in most cases, everything flying should have the ability to soak up something, whether it's imagery or signals.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Godholio posted:

DR while I agree kinetic mods are ridiculous in most cases, everything flying should have the ability to soak up something, whether it's imagery or signals.

It's loving sad this isn't the case -- it's entirely technically possible but politics and the crusty aerospace establishment will never allow it.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

movax posted:

It's loving sad this isn't the case -- it's entirely technically possible but politics and the crusty aerospace establishment will never allow it.
Also good loving luck getting diplomatic clearance for overflights if you put collection suites on every plane in the fleet.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

movax posted:

Well bootstrap an app already that disrupts this establishment then! :homebrew: :cocaine:

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
We already fly over countries with planes that have a variety of ESM systems on it. Why would that be an issue?

EDIT: I cant find a list of planes with an AN/ALR or AN/ALQ something on it but it seems like any of those should be capable of sigint as is or with minor upgrades.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Feb 25, 2016

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

standard.deviant posted:

Also good loving luck getting diplomatic clearance for overflights if you put collection suites on every plane in the fleet.

That's not as much of a problem as you might think (at least, not right now). The countries that would throw a fit are the ones we're not asking to overfly anyway.

That said, not getting dip clearances is a pain in the dick. Just ask NATO how much fun it was trying to get their Luxembourg-registered jets around all the countries that don't recognize Luxembourg for some loving reason.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Prop Wash posted:

lol yeah this is really nothing more than NGB's latest attempt to avoid having all their -H model units get shut down in a few years when AMP dies again (or is it back to being dead? I can't keep track)

cool idea/capability though

movax
Aug 30, 2008

standard.deviant posted:

Actually, after posting that, I thought about a tiny-rear end little pod you could chuck onto civilian airliners at-will and end up with a network of thousands of airborne snoops at any given time. Sip a little bit of electrical power (or self-generate it), dump data to NSA/whatever SIGINT agency on landing. Pay the airlines some dough to carry it around and call it good.

But, that goes down a very slippery road that gets your now civilian "spy planes" shot down. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

standard.deviant posted:

CarForumPoster posted:

We already fly over countries with planes that have a variety of ESM systems on it. Why would that be an issue?

EDIT: I cant find a list of planes with an AN/ALR or AN/ALQ something on it but it seems like any of those should be capable of sigint as is or with minor upgrades.
There's a difference between a RWR/missile warning system and an ELINT package. A lot of countries that might be OK with the former are going to be a lot less comfortable with the latter.

Godholio posted:

movax posted:

It's dumb for a lot of reasons. First thing that comes to mind is airframe utilization. If the Tanker Duty Officer wants to re-task a tanker for an air refueling, or even just have it depart its orbit on time for a scheduled refueling in a way that takes it away from whatever the sensor is looking at, you're setting up a dick-waving contest between the TDO, the ISR director, the receiver unit, and whoever cares about whatever the sensor is looking at. I wasn't an airlift guy, but I never sat next to one at an exercise who was saying, "yeah bro, I've got all this excess airlift capability that I don't even know what to do with. I'm happy to whore out with no expectation of when I'll get it back."

S.D. pointed out a big problem as well. We fly through and land in a lot of countries that aren't NATO allies. Some of them are OK with logistics & airlift flights, but won't allow combat missions or American Spy Planes for political reasons. Once you start putting a kinetic or collection capability on all your aircraft, it's going to get significantly more difficult to get that sort of cooperation. Look how much trouble a FLIR ball got a HC-130 crew in. (Apologies for the IGN link, the original article is nowhere to be found on airforcetimes.com anymore.)