Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Going to add in that it's good to spend time exploring NLA and talking to every single person/entity you see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Thanks for the tips, guys and gals. I'll keep at it.

Sucks that I can't just go buy probes when I run out, but whatever--I'm sure I'll come across plenty as I go.

Alxprit posted:

Survey % can also be increased by doing the icon located on segments that aren't just where you plant probes.

How do I activate these? Do I just go to the hex and take a look around? Or do I have to go find an NPC who will tell me to go to the hex and do XYZ? Tapping the icon doesn't do anything.

Also, how the hell do I actually get to Noctilum? I keep running into sheer cliff faces when I try to go northwest, with seemingly no way around or up them.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Sucks that I can't just go buy probes when I run out, but whatever--I'm sure I'll come across plenty as I go.

How do I activate these? Do I just go to the hex and take a look around? Or do I have to go find an NPC who will tell me to go to the hex and do XYZ? Tapping the icon doesn't do anything.

Also, how the hell do I actually get to Noctilum? I keep running into sheer cliff faces when I try to go northwest, with seemingly no way around or up them.

First off, you won't run out. Once you use a probe, replacing it with another will put the old probe back in your inventory. So don't worry.

You don't need to do any prior activation to fulfill the condition for hexes. Some people in town may give you information telling you the specific thing you need to do, but you don't need that information to do that thing.

The path to Noctilum should be fairly straightforward, I don't remember having much trouble... But, once the plot directs you to go there, you should be all good, at least.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

You can't ever run out of the generic, default probe. It's the ones that boost mining, credits, etc. that are in limited quantities. You will always be able to plant a probe as long as you have the Mechanical skill level for it.

There's a cave in the northwest that leads to Noctilum.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Alxprit posted:

You don't need to do any prior activation to fulfill the condition for hexes.

Unless it's a quest that ends in that hex (the icon for which is like a notepad page), then there's pretty much no way of knowing who or where you'll pick it up from or how far through the game you need to be before you can get it

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

So all hexes are one of 5 things: probe, quest, affinity quest, salvage, or titan. You can see where the probes go right now, and then when you install one, the six hexes adjacent to the probe will reveal their recon type. Quests are a notepad, affinity quests are a handshake, salvages are sparkles, and titans are an animal head. Both types of quests end in those hexes, although several (especially in NLA) also start there. Salvage and Titans are fulfilled by salvaging or killing the correct thing. Any time you complete a recon, a golden message will pop up in the top, central portion of the screen.

Any NPCs with a yellow speech bubble above their head will give you a tip about the recon for a particular hex. After seeing their dialogue, a checkmark will appear on the hex they were talking about, with details for the recon (quest name and giver, type and level of salvage, name of the Titan) when you tap on it. All of the dialogue is also saved... Somewhere in the Info tab of the menu? I don't quite remember.

As far as for getting to Noctilum, have you found either Gemini Bridge? Noctilum is past the second (Lesser?) one, you'll have to sneak (or try to sprint) past a high-level enemy on each bridge. Go down after the second one, not towards the enemy base.

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Max Mechanical first. This is probably the most important thing you need to know when starting out.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Just started, so please be gentle:

They turned me loose to do whatever I pleased, so I did some running around planting probes (I chose Pathfinder), and the next plot mission requires me to survey 15% of Primordia. I'm at ~12% and can't reach lots of the remaining survey points (they're up high, seemingly saying "haha sucker come back when you get a robot that can fly") and/or don't have the mechanical skill necessary to place them.

Do I just keep running around for now murdering poo poo and exploring Primordia until my rank goes up and I can place the higher-level ones, or are there paths to the high areas that I'm missing?

At the stage of the game you're at, the easiest way you can raise your survey percentage is to salvage a lot. Go to one of the hexes where the icon is a sparkle, and use your mini-map to find all the yellow dots in that hex. Salvage as many as possible. When you salvage the right one, you'll get a message at the top of the screen saying something like "Segment Recon complete". That changes the hex icon from a sparkle to a gold star , and your survey percentage for the continent will go up.

You can try to go to the monster head hexes and fight the tyrant there, but when you're in the first few chapters of the game, you're pretty likely to get mauled.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

As if there weren't enough characters, you get two more after chapter 8?? Why???

When do I get the Skell flight module?

Edit: Research Probes are kinda rare, yeah? I have like three to four times as many mining probes. Can I find more research probes in wreckage? I need to do that 70k credit FrontierNav quest

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Feb 24, 2016

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

As if there weren't enough characters, you get two more after chapter 8?? Why???
and you still don't have all of them

quote:

there's a quest to get it after chapter 9

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

You can start flying after chapter 9. Research probes are mostly found in wreckage, I believe.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Edit: Research Probes are kinda rare, yeah? I have like three to four times as many mining probes. Can I find more research probes in wreckage? I need to do that 70k credit FrontierNav quest
Until you find all the probe pickups, research and storage probes both command the dedication of your booster and duplication probes.

Basically chain bonuses are a trap for any probes that aren't mining. You want to stick research or storage probes on probes connected to 4 other, or as you get more, there's more elaborate stuff to do with the places where there are several spots connected to 3 or 4 along a shared backbone. But the basic idea is you place the duplicator in the center and surround them with 1 booster and 3 research. This works because the duplicator sticks the effects of all 3 research probes on the node with the sight seeing spots, and then boosts them.

The trick with research is that they work best on spots with multiple sight seeing points. You will need to have found the sight seeing points. An early example is in eastern Oblivia where there is a spot with 4 connections and 2 sight seeing spots.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

How do you know which sight-seeing points you've found? How do you know which ones are near sight-seeing points?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

How do you know which sight-seeing points you've found? How do you know which ones are near sight-seeing points?
When you select a hex on the map and it gives the probe grade data, it will say 0/1 or 0/2 sightseeing spots, which update to however many you found. They are somewhere in that hex, often high up but could be any prominent view that the devs thought were neat.

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

zedprime posted:

When you select a hex on the map and it gives the probe grade data, it will say 0/1 or 0/2 sightseeing spots, which update to however many you found. They are somewhere in that hex, often high up but could be any prominent view that the devs thought were neat.

"Undiscovered" areas also count toward a hex's sightseeing spots.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

vaguely posted:

secondary cooldown decrease is incredible, Galactic Knight's synchrony is worth getting eventually since it's the only skill worth a drat that affects your skell, Duelist's yamato spirit is also pretty good (builds TP every time you use a melee art)

Ok. I'm working on the mastermind path at the moment, I'm currently a psycho dude at rank 5. I think I'm rank 7 as the lesser galactic knight class too.

Aside from that I went ahead and upgraded the damage type boost skills (ether, beam and electric are all I have now), as those offer one hell of an increase. 30% base damage is kinda nuts. I've also decided that I really like the raygun weapons, so I went ahead and started leveling those skills up. Still haven't touched an art outside of those though.

Hey, can I ask a question about tp generation and the like? I'm of the opinion at the moment to not ever put more that one tp using skill on a party member, solely because I can never get them to utilize their aura or art whenever it's really needed. Apart from putting the ramjet rifle on irena and having her spam last stand, how should I go about maintaining/generating tp? Cause right now I'm kinda poo poo at it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sprite141 posted:

Ok. I'm working on the mastermind path at the moment, I'm currently a psycho dude at rank 5. I think I'm rank 7 as the lesser galactic knight class too.

Aside from that I went ahead and upgraded the damage type boost skills (ether, beam and electric are all I have now), as those offer one hell of an increase. 30% base damage is kinda nuts. I've also decided that I really like the raygun weapons, so I went ahead and started leveling those skills up. Still haven't touched an art outside of those though.

Hey, can I ask a question about tp generation and the like? I'm of the opinion at the moment to not ever put more that one tp using skill on a party member, solely because I can never get them to utilize their aura or art whenever it's really needed. Apart from putting the ramjet rifle on irena and having her spam last stand, how should I go about maintaining/generating tp? Cause right now I'm kinda poo poo at it.

Most other classes have much better ways of generating TP. Mastermind just has really slow TP generation. Melee weapons generate TP faster than ranged weapons with autoattacking so generally you want to be using them if you need to build TP but basically no matter what Mastermind won't have good TP generation unless you pair it with a different melee weapon.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

ImpAtom posted:

Most other classes have much better ways of generating TP. Mastermind just has really slow TP generation. Melee weapons generate TP faster than ranged weapons with autoattacking so generally you want to be using them if you need to build TP but basically no matter what Mastermind won't have good TP generation unless you pair it with a different melee weapon.

Well every class I've played in has had some issues. I suppose I was mostly waiting to keep 3k tp for ressurecting my team. I don't have that much of a problem anymore. My npcs are the real issue. They just haphazardly throw out all their tp on any given basis.

Also I am so going to spend my squad tickets farming up exp boost augments to boost up party members.

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Sprite141 posted:

My npcs are the real issue. They just haphazardly throw out all their tp on any given basis.
you can instruct them to keep their TP up through the squad commands menu (press + in battle), it's a good way to prepare for boss fights by wailing on some little guys until you've all maxed out your TP

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

vaguely posted:

you can instruct them to keep their TP up through the squad commands menu (press + in battle), it's a good way to prepare for boss fights by wailing on some little guys until you've all maxed out your TP

That's not a bad idea actually.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I just picked up the game and I'm curious as to if the best controller would be the gamepad or can I ditch it for the pro controller only?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Skeezy posted:

I just picked up the game and I'm curious as to if the best controller would be the gamepad or can I ditch it for the pro controller only?

No, you absolutely need the gamepad. It is how fast travel and certain other mechanics are handled.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

No, you absolutely need the gamepad. It is how fast travel and certain other mechanics are handled.

Okay perfect I had a feeling that was the answer. Thanks.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
I've logged 140 hours into this game and I only just beat the main quest. The conclusion was unsatisfactory. Although I doubt that's a spoiler by now.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Another question, and this might be stupid or I'm missing something here but is there no way to increase the font sizes in the game?

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Skeezy posted:

Another question, and this might be stupid or I'm missing something here but is there no way to increase the font sizes in the game?

Nope! Have fun!

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

There's no way to lower the music volume in cutscenes either. I dunno what the gently caress.

I'm pretty sure my fiancé is gonna call off our engagement over how much she hates the NLA day music.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Holy poo poo this game is intimidating with all its menus and UI and I dunno. I don't hate the game but it's a bit excessive.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Just finished Chapter 9. Current mood:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VQ_3sBZEm0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIQn8pab8Vc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zT4Y-QNdto

etc. etc.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Lmao i gave this nopon some supplements and now she's The Swolest Nopon

wanna see that nopon place at a powerlifting meet

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I just hit lv 50 and I haven't started chapter 10 yet. How over leveled am I?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Skeezy posted:

I use the pro controller and I have the Gamepad on its cradle as a pda/second screen thing. it's p cool.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Just got my flight module this morning, thanks for the playlist :hfive:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I just hit lv 50 and I haven't started chapter 10 yet. How over leveled am I?

I feel like the game basically expects you to hit max level once you can fly.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Lara Nara is awesome why couldn't he have been a character?! gently caress Bozé and HB

Edit: Alexa and Yelv are cool though

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Some of them seem kinda arbitrary. If you wanna cheat, full maps are at http://imgur.com/a/n7zxi

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I hate Bozé even more now that I took on his third affinity mission. I dunno who thought it was a good idea to make the target for the mission a lv 46 flying fish in a lava cave where there's very little room to stand also my party members keep jumping directly into the lava.

There's also a lv 50+ giant spider standing there to make sure you don't use any AoE. Did I mention Skells can't fit into the door to the cave? In conclusion, Bozé sucks and so do his dumb missions.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I hate Bozé even more now that I took on his third affinity mission. I dunno who thought it was a good idea to make the target for the mission a lv 46 flying fish in a lava cave where there's very little room to stand also my party members keep jumping directly into the lava.

There's also a lv 50+ giant spider standing there to make sure you don't use any AoE. Did I mention Skells can't fit into the door to the cave? In conclusion, Bozé sucks and so do his dumb missions.

That's the only time I accepted the game's pity level-down.

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Lara Nara is awesome why couldn't he have been a character?! gently caress Bozé and HB

Edit: Alexa and Yelv are cool though
my opinion exactly
Lara Nara and Ga Jiarg would have been way better than those assholes, and they wouldn't have even needed to make new character models
Murderess can gently caress right off too, who the poo poo let her on the White Whale 'sorry Lao can't bring your family, but this backstabbing jerk is totes welcome'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Bozé's last mission can be cheesed by equipping nothing but Candid & Credible gear. It's got electric resist and I'm pretty sure the fish only has electric based attacks. It'll be slow as poo poo but you can chip away at it while it hits you for 1 damage.

Stopping the ritual self-immolating of your party is a bit trickier. Just tell them to Assemble. Repeatedly. Even then I still lost Lin and Bozé and had to fight with just me and Elma.

• Locked thread