Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

smg77 posted:

The only bad thing about The Expanse is Thomas Jane's dumb haircut.

I thought the fedora was super dumb then he took his hat off and I realized the fedora was the real hero of the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

smg77 posted:

I think that hair cut would look great on me especially with my jacket from Drive.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

smg77 posted:

Obviously future hairstyles are going to look crazy and bad to us, as past hairstyles do.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Spatula City posted:

Obviously future hairstyles are going to look crazy and bad to us, as past hairstyles do.

I'm glad the Macklemore aesthetic is timeless.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Spatula City posted:

Tbh, current hairstyles look pretty bad. I hate that the biggest fad for girls and guys my age is a Septum ring, makes them look like a bunch of buffalos. Wouldn't be friends with them, no. Wouldn't date a guy with a septum piercing either.

But that's just my opinion. Like everything, the future will be a mix of good and bad tastes. And taste is qualitative.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Ravane posted:

Tbh, current hairstyles look pretty bad. I hate that the biggest fad for girls and guys my age is a Septum ring, makes them look like a bunch of buffalos. Wouldn't be friends with them, no. Wouldn't date a guy with a septum piercing either.

But that's just my opinion. Like everything, the future will be a mix of good and bad tastes. And taste is qualitative.

Where do you live where that is a big fad?

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I choose my friends based on their aesthetic properties, like adopting a pet.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

I want to mock that attitude but the septum rings are pretty strange looking.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hey hey 12 Monkeys is on hulu now.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
A reminder that Limitless loving owns rear end and you're overall worse off for not having watched it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

DivisionPost posted:

A reminder that Limitless loving owns rear end and you're overall worse off for not having watched it.

Well maybe if CBS made it possible to catch up on shows that initially seemed to be can't miss garbage bullshit

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

zoux posted:

Well maybe if CBS made it possible to catch up on shows that initially seemed to be can't miss garbage bullshit

It's rather easy to catch up on the show legally for a small fee. Free even if you can binge it in a week.

hedgecore
May 2, 2004
Here's a Twitter bot which auto-reposts every Kanye West tweet after prefixing them with "Liz Lemon, ":
https://twitter.com/tgswithkanye

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

X-O posted:

It's rather easy to catch up on the show legally for a small fee. Free even if you can binge it in a week.

I'm not paying for an ad supported service.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
That reminds me, the product placement in X-Files was really loving bad. "Subtle" is when the product just happens to be in the show/movie. It is not subtle when there's a scene just to showcase the product and its features.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

zoux posted:

I'm not paying for an ad supported service.

So just pirate it?

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

blue squares posted:

Where do you live where that is a big fad?

Literally any college town in America. I live in Baltimore, but whatever other university I'm sent to for research conferences, I see kids a few years younger than me with rings right through their friggin noses. Some piercings are cool and all, but I have no idea how or why this specifically got popular. I blame friggin Rihanna, Ellie Goulding, Victoria Justice, and Lady GaGa for perpetuating this horrible fad.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I know a girl that has one. One of the reasons that she likes it compared to other facial piercings is that she can hide it at her job just by flipping it up into her nose.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Snak posted:

I know a girl that has one. One of the reasons that she likes it compared to other facial piercings is that she can hide it at her job just by flipping it up into her nose.

How do you flip a ring into your nose?

This does not look easy to hide, but I also usually only see them on students or people that work at chipotle.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I haven't watched Black-ish since the episode where they (this isn't a joke) were genuinely deliberating on whether or not parents should hit their kids (the gently caress was that sociopathic bullshit anyway? did they fire whoever came up with it?), but this Black Lives Matter episode is getting a crazy positive response on all fronts.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Ravane posted:

How do you flip a ring into your nose?

This does not look easy to hide, but I also usually only see them on students or people that work at chipotle.

Oh it's true it doesn't work if you have a ring, you need a horseshoe barbell like this

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Escobarbarian posted:

I haven't watched Black-ish since the episode where they (this isn't a joke) were genuinely deliberating on whether or not parents should hit their kids (the gently caress was that sociopathic bullshit anyway? did they fire whoever came up with it?), but this Black Lives Matter episode is getting a crazy positive response on all fronts.

I've only seen this season but they don't shy away from seriously controversial issues. Oh also it's extremely funny and Jenifer Lewis is amazing.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Escobarbarian posted:

I haven't watched Black-ish since the episode where they (this isn't a joke) were genuinely deliberating on whether or not parents should hit their kids (the gently caress was that sociopathic bullshit anyway? did they fire whoever came up with it?)

Do yourself a favor and never watch Madea's Family Reunion. Not just for the usual reasons why you should never watch Tyler Perry movies, but because one of the plot points is that she adopts a juvenile delinquent girl and fixes her by beating her and making her wear dresses instead of pants.

It's so prevalent an idea in black entertainment that even Katt Williams, King Bullshit of Crazytown, had an entire segment of one of his standup special about how people need to quit beating their kids.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Escobarbarian posted:

okay fine I'll watch The Expanse

four eps behind on B99 and I'm like "hm should I keep watching this" and then the cold open of the next ep is Andy Samberg being wacky and falling over on a hoverboard. You're really testing me, show.

If you are having a hard time with B99. I can assure you, you are deficient... medically.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

I tried B99, it just wasn't actually funny.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I loved Parks and Rec and was disappointed in B99. Stopped after 5 episodes. A lot of the characters seem like exact copies of Parks and I hate Sandberg.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The Expanse is good. The thread is not.

If you don't like it after episode 4, you can stop.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Ravane posted:

Literally any college town in America. I live in Baltimore, but whatever other university I'm sent to for research conferences, I see kids a few years younger than me with rings right through their friggin noses. Some piercings are cool and all, but I have no idea how or why this specifically got popular. I blame friggin Rihanna, Ellie Goulding, Victoria Justice, and Lady GaGa for perpetuating this horrible fad.

Holy poo poo you're a square.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Brooklyn Nine-Nine's issue is that it wants to be a cross between a cop version of 30 Rock and a cop version of Parks and Rec, but doesn't have strong enough writing to be either.

fwiw the best traditional/network sitcom right now is easily Fresh off the Boat imo

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

BSam posted:

I tried B99, it just wasn't actually funny.

You like S1 Agents of SHIELD so we know you are broken.

B99 owns. :colbert:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Escobarbarian posted:

Eh, that is kinda actually a genuine thing in Black Families though. The episode literally ended with them not hitting the child(the correct choice) but to say it's not a deliberation that parents go through especially among a generation that grew up with comically harsh corporeal punishment themselves and may view it as something that shaped them into the successful person they turned into is a bit weird. Like I got hit with a Belt growing up when I messed up, ditto with parents and grand parents etc etc. I won't hit mine, but It was mostly socially acceptable up until like maybe 5-10ish years ago(as long as you didn't go crazy overboard and leave marks).

Once again, Beating kids is wrong as hell. But Actually going into the psychology of what makes parents do it, and then completely dismissing it as a good option is a good way for a show to handle it.

poo poo like Madea and actually glorifying it is unacceptable yes, but Black-ish like it handles most of it's "serious" things does so pretty well I think.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Feb 25, 2016

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lady Naga posted:

Holy poo poo you're a square.

Quoting for accuracy

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

You like S1 Agents of SHIELD so we know you are broken.

B99 owns. :colbert:

Yeah, but S1 Agents of SHIELD is great. Even better on a rewatch.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Wait, BSam doesn't like B99? I might have to change my opinion.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

B99 often has problems with completely nonsensical c-plots that they stuff in there to fill time. It usually works because the cast is so good, but that's the kind of stuff that keeps it from being great.

Though I don't know how you can dislike it, Andre Braugher alone is a comedic paragon. He should totally be playing the new Frank Drebin.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's when I gets really broad that I stop being able to stand it. The end of one of the latest episodes is a good example, when the nine-nine start fighting with the nine-eight and it's an office-wide brawl. That was just lovely.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Ravane posted:

Tbh, current hairstyles look pretty bad. I hate that the biggest fad for girls and guys my age is a Septum ring

The way you posted this made me think there was some hairstyle called a Septum ring, and I got super confused. I guess these are two unrelated thoughts?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I think B99's first season is top to bottom great, up there with maybe not the best but at least most/all of the good Parks & Rec episodes. The formula started to wear a bit thin throughout season 2 and now it's just kind of OK. Still good enough that I like watching any given new episode but I think it'd be better if it were to start to wind down/finish.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

thrawn527 posted:

The way you posted this made me think there was some hairstyle called a Septum ring, and I got super confused. I guess these are two unrelated thoughts?

I thought that too at first and I imagined that ring of hair + bald spot on top that monks have, and it made me think that Ravane must live in a WAY hipper place than me if that poo poo's considered cool in his neighborhood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Brooklyn Nine-Nine wants to be Parks and Rec but unlike Parks and Rec it doesn't respect the stakes or plot developments of the world as established so devolves into one big nothing. it wants to have its cake and eat it too where it wants to be a laugh riot (it isn't that) but simultaneously be this very touching and affecting network sitcom where people grow and change (they don't, because the show periodically resets everything back to normal)

even 30 Rock despite being even goofier and more absurdist of a world than either of the other two respected the plots they progressed, like all of Jack and Liz's awful relationships

• Locked thread