Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HKS
Jan 31, 2005

also you don't need his reply to figure this out. just think about it with your brain. like forreal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD

HKS posted:

Please read the thread, he not only said it was complete bs when the trailer was first released he explained why technically.

Do you actually read the 1000 posts per day thread? I have poo poo to do. My bad for missing something from two months ago in this 2000+ page thread. Also, I wasn't referring to the trailer. I was referring to the live(?) Cryengine demo some technical guy was running. It looked pretty functional, but this is CIG we're talking about so who loving knows. It probably isn't even the same application

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Napoleon Bonaparty posted:

Do you actually read the 1000 posts per day thread? I have poo poo to do. My bad for missing something from two months ago in this 2000+ page thread. Also, I wasn't referring to the trailer. I was referring to the live(?) Cryengine demo some technical guy was running. It looked pretty functional, but this is CIG we're talking about so who loving knows. It probably isn't even the same application

just check certain posters history and close

HKS
Jan 31, 2005

"i got poo poo to do" coming from a man posting on a paid internet forum asking about a demo from a fake game from a fake company while also cross examining and asking questions on reddit.

very weak.

HKS
Jan 31, 2005

sorry Napoleon I'm feeling very bitchy today, i think the news of CIG banning based on PMs really got to me.

I MAD

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
It's okay bro I get it. We cool. Just chill, ya know?

:gary: :respek: :yarg:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I had forgotten how terrible Full Burn is.

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
Yea, CIG's staff has become really zealous in the last few years. I'm really not sure when the mindset switch happened for staff, but the community was always crazy. After the first year I sold a bunch of LTI poo poo and moved on to college poo poo, so everything I know from up until a few months ago is all hearsay and crazy rear end nerds ripping each other on the internet. All I can say is the people working on this project aren't at all like what I saw when I first backed this live train wreck. I think they realized that once people started getting fed up and their core demo turned into dreaming space facists, they decided to play along, but this is the kind of thing I'd look to EightAce or Bootcha about. Coming back to looking at this community and the people who regulate it was so loving insanely jarring at first. It pissed me off too.

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican

that's sad. like really the youtube comments made me a little sad.

but honestly man, this will make no difference. and i don't want to poo poo on your g0rf, but you effort posted too hard for them to pay attention. sandi least of all. if she even were to see it, i imagine her glancing at it and ignoring it, maybe even laughing at it for her own reasons. the devs don't give a gently caress - and they shouldn't, either - they're just doing their jobs. it's the people in management that's hosed in the head.

chalk's posts about his forum ban are mind-numbing, yet the replies to his reddit post just shows how far backers are willing to go with their own imaginations.

"CAN'T PROVE"
"FAKE"
"YOUR POINT IS INVALID [HERE]"
"PRIVATE COMPANY CAN DO WHAT THEY WANT WITH UR PMS"

really sad.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Yea, CIG's staff has become really zealous in the last few years. I'm really not sure when the mindset switch happened for staff, but the community was always crazy. After the first year I sold a bunch of LTI poo poo and moved on to college poo poo, so everything I know from up until a few months ago is all hearsay and crazy rear end nerds ripping each other on the internet. All I can say is the people working on this project aren't at all like what I saw when I first backed this live train wreck. I think they realized that once people started getting fed up and their core demo turned into dreaming space facists, they decided to play along, but this is the kind of thing I'd look to EightAce or Bootcha about. Coming back to looking at this community and the people who regulate it was so loving insanely jarring at first. It pissed me off too.

I imagine it has something to do with the Austin office being disappeared and everything stateside being overseen by Sandi.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
If you smoke weed, you get paranoid sooner or later, and if you have access to PMs

you're gunna have a bad time as a company lol

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican
upvote jeffrey mcarthur's vid. it's the least the poor dude deserves for making a brave vid into the shitheart that is SC.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

pepito sanchez posted:

that's sad. like really the youtube comments made me a little sad.

but honestly man, this will make no difference. and i don't want to poo poo on your g0rf, but you effort posted too hard for them to pay attention. sandi least of all. if she even were to see it, i imagine her glancing at it and ignoring it, maybe even laughing at it for her own reasons. the devs don't give a gently caress - and they shouldn't, either - they're just doing their jobs. it's the people in management that's hosed in the head.

chalk's posts about his forum ban are mind-numbing, yet the replies to his reddit post just shows how far backers are willing to go with their own imaginations.

"CAN'T PROVE"
"FAKE"
"YOUR POINT IS INVALID [HERE]"
"PRIVATE COMPANY CAN DO WHAT THEY WANT WITH UR PMS"

really sad.

They read this thread. They are reactive in their behaviour. This is not a normal company.

And 'you effort posted too hard'? You obviously don't understand forum posts development, at least that's what I think

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Toops posted:

Thanks for your dedicated service, Prime Commando. o9

Full Burn is literally the worst. I can't imagine a better metaphor for Star Citizen.

I wish Camacho is working on an orchestral version.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Melkor do u like Mr Smart?

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

I've got some chap on twitter who refers to himself as a "freelancer" asking me questions about it:

https://twitter.com/WilliamUsherGB/status/702644634065960961

Looks like he's a bit of a gamergater but I guess if he wants to write an article on this then all power to him.

One thing I do want to make clear is that I don't think there's any legal issue here with what CIG did. They're a private entity and I used their messaging service after agreeing to their TOS. They're entirely within their legal rights to read my PMs and to ban me for discussing consumer laws.

I just think it's morally hosed up that they're doing this and I think people should know about it.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Post 1 - We are sacrificing for you despite the crazy toxic critics who are wrong about us failing or scamming you.

12 minutes later

Post 2 - Go forth and spread the word but be nice to people who don't agree with you.

:lesnick: normally only effort/angry posts when poo poo is going horribly wrong, I wonder what's happening.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

I love how this thread is the de facto support group for those who are inclined to get their money back from CIG. If someone posted in E/N about how their spouse was going to leave them because of overspending on JPEGs, the response would be to point them towards this thread, post endless .gif on the subject, and then witness it being closed in short order for mission accomplished. Quick, efficient and textbook. "How to Save a Shitizen 2.2.3.1 (GET A REFUND PM ME FOR A BAN AND ANOTHER CHANCE AT LIFE)"

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
I ordered my new PC intending to be the world's worst Hearthstone streamer, but I wonder if making GBS threads over SC on Twitch would be more fun.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

'Fun'? What's 'fun'?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

can someone post the screen shot of the copilot seat with the screen in front of your face, it's good

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Google Butt posted:

just check certain posters history and close

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Mr.Tophat posted:

Melkor do u like Mr Smart?
Tricky question, he's a disagreeable Ed Wood. I laugh a lot at poo poo he says and does (laugh with him, not at him). I respect him for keep doing what he loves despite the amount of people that poo poo on him. And despite also considering myself an internet warrior I can't imagine what it must be like to try to do your job and fight a constant internet war IRL at the same time for decades, I also respect that. His actions also opened a door that for a few months allowed goons to bail out of this trainwreck and save hundreds of thousands of dollars, if nothing else that should earn him a bit of leeway/eyerolling from goons to his more bombastic stuff.

But ultimately he's not a very likable person (which he knows and doesn't give a poo poo about) and his touchiness would probably have caused us to be at each other's throat in any other time and place than this thread. Which is all the more reason to cherish the moment, one day I'll be sitting by the fireplace telling my great grandchildren of the time I fought side by side with Derek the Hun.

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Feb 25, 2016

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Googlebutt, do you like Mr Smart

Or fun?

Ponzi
Feb 21, 2016

DEPORTED FROM FLAVOR TOWN

ICSA 67 LOSER
Fun Shoe
Another SC vid with bugs I haven't seen before:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ErgpsHWxsw

Edit - How do I embed a video?

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican

Mr.Tophat posted:

They read this thread. They are reactive in their behaviour. This is not a normal company.

i don't doubt they read this thread. that's funny enough. but i doubt they'd pay attention to that post. just smirk at dying cancer man and gives good vibes and thumbs up to everyone replying to that youtube video. i watched about half of it before i said to myself, "you are wasting your time here." both to myself and to mcarthur.

yeah, it's a dysfunctional company. more than that. but i'm betting they hear none of the criticism and take every tiny reply in their favor as a major pat on their backs.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

G0RF posted:

When the CIG peon assigned to read this thread for actionable intelligence comes across this little account, I hope you will print this, or otherwise pass the sad little story and helpful set of suggestions up to Ben, Sandi, Lando, or even Chris.

----

TO: Cloud Imperium Games
SUBJECT: The tale of Jeffrey McArthur
PRIORITY: High

An agreeable older gamer named Jeffrey McArthur tried Star Citizen's Free Flight weekend a couple of weeks ago, having no knowledge whatsoever of of this particular game. He is an avid gamer - online games, tabletop games, D&D games - he has spent decades playing them and loving them. In fact, as a younger man, he actually programmed two titles for the Atari 800; a serviceable Defender clone called Kamikaze. and sillier overhead maze runner called Icky Squishy.

These days, Jeffrey makes gaming videos that average less than 100 viewers each, and keeps doing it sheerly for the joy of it.

So he downloads Star Citizen and starts playing. He is bewildered by the key bindings, the absence of clear objectives, players crawling on their bellies around ARCcorp, ships spawning upside down in his hangar, the manual, the emptiness, and more. These are all reasonable reactions, particularly since the PC Gamer article that prompted him to try the Free Flight game never mentioned it was an Alpha.

After an understandably frustrating 45 minutes, one he took in bemused stride, he posted a video of his gaming experience, wondering humorously, "Am I too stupid to play Star Citizen?"

After posting the video, it immediately became one of his most viewed, and most down voted, videos. Of course, it would all be entirely predictable, this kind of thing happens so regularly these days. Yet this story has a surprisingly bittersweet punchline- one that is very worth your attention.

Surely, with your enormous sums and perpetual broadcasts, YOU THE COMMUNITY AND MARKETING LEADERSHIP can make greater efforts to discourage knee-jerk attacks on anyone who dares express confusion about the State of the Game. They don't have to be Stage 4 Cancer Sufferers to merit better treatment.

Nothing that this random old-school gamer said in his video was libelous, mean-spirited or unfair. In fact, he posited that maybe he was too dumb to play the game, rather than going after the failings (and they are legion) of Star Citizen as it exists today. That's a kid gloves treatment that you don't even deserve at this point, and STILL, some members of your community love little more than shooting messengers rather than listen to their bad news. (And don't pretend 'oh that's just Youtube commenters!', either. This same crap happens on Reddit and elsewhere, all the time.)

Your Game Tutorial is broken, the Alpha is bug-ridden, dull and confusing for those not willing to commit considerable efforts to the learning curve. Don't take my word for it. Take Jeffrey McArthur's. Or look at your post break-up sales collapse.

If you think your biggest enemies are trolls or goons, or your biggest problems are making sure you delete any incriminating evidence you left behind on some old video archive your backers paid for, you really aren't paying close enough attention.

Your biggest enemies-- particularly right now-- are the toxic zealots who have already backed your game and, in absence of a game to play, have decided to role play as Riot Cops beating down anybody who looks askew at their beloved (fictive) super-game. This pattern repeats daily in more places than any of us can count. On Twitter, Youtube comments, Facebook pages, Gaming Media article comments, Reddit, and elsewhere.

Where did they learn and perfect this odious art, you wonder? Why, the RSI forums, of course!

---

THE PROBLEM, IN SUMMARY:

You have stated your intention to "take the pressure off backers to keep funding the game" by focusing your efforts on winning newer backers to the cause. This is a sensible strategy, at least on its surface, yet the proposition is going to be bloody difficult if:

1) The game is buggy, confusing, and unfun to play.
2) The tutorial is broken.
3) The community is hostile to new players who state that either or both of the above is true.

THE SOLUTION, IN SUMMARY:

You, the Community and Marketing Team, do not have the power to fix what is wrong with the game, or accelerate the development of its improvement. You do, however, have useful tools to combat this problem. There are good-hearted, patient members in your community, trying their level best to help win new converts to the fold. And not all of them are motivated by your cynical referral program carrot.

You are fortunate in that respect. They still love you, for reasons beyond my understanding.

Because of that, you need to:

1) EMPOWER AND ELEVATE THE GOOD GUYS --- they are the best tools in your arsenal in what will be a difficult new season of your life. Elevate their stature, and start taking a harder line approach with that part of your backer base that truly is the enemy within. If the game was not the mess that it is, then this particular issue would not be of such urgent priority. You, the Community and Marketing leadership, may have no power over the pace and quality of development, but you have a lot of tools at your disposal for changing the discourse in your own community.

2) PRIORITIZE NEW PLAYER EDUCATION VIDEOS -- Instead of doing yet another weekly show (the newest of which is apparently about Space Plants), you should focus on weekly programming aimed at educating non-players about the game and educating current players about the importance of welcoming any and all questions that non-players may have. Right now, some members of your own community are doing this for you, because they recognize the need is great, but it's YOUR GAME, and you need to do this for yourself.

3) FIX THE drat TUTORIAL - Tell Chris that fixing the Tutorial is a five-alarm fire and needs developer attention immediately. Pull five guys off their 4th revamp of a spinning space chair remodel and have them make a tutorial that doesn't suck.

4) DON'T JUST DISCOURAGE TOXIC BACKERS, PUNISH THEM -- Lando and Ben showed some encouraging signs in a recent Reverse the Verse, asking the community not to insult or argue with people. But an offhand comment in a show seen by maybe 1000 viewers is not enough. You need to make examples of the toxic losers who stand amongst the Welcome Committess with their guns out, ready to fire endless lobs of "You're an idiot", "You don't understand Game development", "This is an ALPHA, rear end in a top hat!" at your next potential wave of customers. You have seen it play out countless times, as surely as we have. You need to start doing something about it.

5) REFRESH YOUR PUBLIC PERSONA BY ELEVATING NEW FACES - Ben and Sandi, I'm sorry to break the news to you, but each of you have lost credibility with the fanbase over the last year, for very different reasons. The rapturous reception of Sean Tracy by "Reverse the Verse" viewers is telling you something-- that a straight-talking and informed developer actually talking about the true state of the game is like manna from heaven to a starving people wandering the desert looking for the Promised Land. You could regain some goodwill with an increasingly restive population by replacing yourselves with Sean Tracy and Cherie Heiberg. Ben, you come across as Uninformed and Sandi, you come across as Disinterested. Sean and Cherie are very informed, very interested and, in contrast to you both, they seem trustworthy, too. If you want to change the tone (and you bloody well should), it starts with replacing them mouthpieces.

-----

I recognize that this is constructive criticism, and will likely be seen as presumptuous and disingenuous, considering that it came from Something Awful. You seem far more likely to take action to our posts when you find us delighting in some smoking gun you've left buried somewhere that you need to track down and throw into the ocean.

Yet it is offered sincerely, and the advice is sound. Do not let 'director of spaceships' titles earned through sycophancy deafen you, Ben. Do not let your excessive self-regard as a Marketing Genius blind you, Sandi. Let neither your cash reserves nor past successes delude you about the present realities. There's a chill in the air now, guys, and it's not just the weather changing, it is the season.

reposting this because jesus loving christ

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

MeLKoR posted:

Tricky question. I laugh a lot at poo poo he says and does (laugh with him, not at him). I respect him for keep doing what he loves despite the amount of people that poo poo on him. And despite also considering myself an internet warrior I can't imagine what it must be like to try to do your job and fight a constant internet war IRL at the same time for decades, I also respect that. His actions also opened a door that for a few months allowed goons to bail out of this trainwreck and save hundreds of thousands of dollars, if nothing else that should earn a bit of leeway/eyerolling to his more bombastic stuff from goons.

But ultimately he's not a very likable person (which he knows and doesn't give a poo poo about) and his touchiness would probably have caused us to be at each other's throat in any other time and place than this thread.

same p much

Being in a constant internet war must change how you see text on a screen. Instead of seeing comments you see lawsuits like in the matrix.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Chalks posted:

I've got some chap on twitter who refers to himself as a "freelancer" asking me questions about it:

Looks like he's a bit of a gamergater but I guess if he wants to write an article on this then all power to him.

One thing I do want to make clear is that I don't think there's any legal issue here with what CIG did. They're a private entity and I used their messaging service after agreeing to their TOS. They're entirely within their legal rights to read my PMs and to ban me for discussing consumer laws.

I just think it's morally hosed up that they're doing this and I think people should know about it.

I think that guy wrote something before? His Twitter handle seems familiar

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

tooterfish posted:

How exactly does a man you can see from space keep a low profile?

I'm sure there's a hole or two in the Great Wall of China he could fill.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

pepito sanchez posted:

i don't doubt they read this thread. that's funny enough. but i doubt they'd pay attention to that post. just smirk at dying cancer man and gives good vibes and thumbs up to everyone replying to that youtube video. i watched about half of it before i said to myself, "you are wasting your time here." both to myself and to mcarthur.

yeah, it's a dysfunctional company. more than that. but i'm betting they hear none of the criticism and take every tiny reply in their favor as a major pat on their backs.

So you're suggesting that before you effort post, you embrace nilhistism and think, "nah, that's a 'lil bit too much effort they won't read it"?

gently caress it, you're allowed to write an open letter to whoever you want.

"Dear Santa, please get me a chimney for Christmas."

How would he deal with that? Would he turn up on my roof and then try and get down the chimney that he has to deliver???

:420:

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

tooterfish posted:

How exactly does a man you can see from space keep a low profile?

Chew quietly.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

G0RF posted:

I do hope CIG gets wind of it and reaches out and does something nice. Perhaps I delude myself but surely at least a few people there will see what's happened and realize they could do something nice for the guy. Even if they have to go around Sandi's back to pull it off!

I'm pretty sure that as far as CIG is concerned they believe there is a goon run effort to "ruin the game" or perhaps "ruin the marketing" would be more accurate , they see advising unhappy people on their consumer rights as bank fraud. They see talking about the broken promises and complete failure to deliver anything like promised as a hit to their PR and future cash income. The problem is that there's no way of telling if someone is honestly pissed because they sold LTI again (or insert 100+ other failed promises) or if he just likes trolling.

In the CIG bubble I'd assume it's painful thinking about all the ways they've hosed up over the years so it's a lot easier just to assume the worst of people's motivations, "When's that Star Marine module coming out?", ban that dick.

I suspect even an excellent suggestion from someone here on how to raise even more cash easily and quickly would be immediately suspect just because of it's source. The community team at CIG have shifted to pretty much working full time on damage control and trying to keep the illusion going that something great is coming in just 2 more weeks.

I think it's all wonderful, if :lesnick: is right then the game is going to be amazing, if he's wrong then I guess I'm just a toxic troll who's going to be able to watch as more and more promised gameplay features become verboten as conversation topics for Citizens.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Chalks posted:

That's the guy who wrote the article about beer's ban, which provoked Dolvak's discovery of his dedication to journalistic integrity

Haven't read anything else he's written but that one was p ok

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Daztek posted:

I think that guy wrote something before? His Twitter handle seems familiar

Yeah that guy is absolutely a gamergate guy

http://blogjob.com/oneangrygamer/

He's one of those guys who can say "it's actually about ethics in videogame journalism" and mean it. And will prove it by actually investigating shady stuff other games journos won't touch or would prefer to softball, like SC. Say what you will about GG, but the fact that a known and somewhat infamous gamergater is a more respectable and principled human being than the bulk of CIG and their supporters is kind of hilarious.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

Galarox posted:

Duke of Goa is a fascinating case study. He is a classic SC whale. I don't have the time or patience to look through his posting history but, back when I was a backer and believer and owned only a Cutlass (for those Goons unaware of it the Cutlass is probably the single most shitted upon ship in their panoply) he came into the RSI cutlass thread and relentlessly trolled/attacked us for NOT believing in CIG... and their Vision. The change seen in Mirificus various posts where he has been screen-capped are, for me at least, an insight into the cult believer who has begun to doubt. By his own admission he is now $6 grand in the hole, and his posts have gone from passive aggressive to full on "WTF?" I suspect that at some point in the near future he will be temp/permabanned for some ridiculous or imaginary rule infraction. If that happens we should invite him to vent here because the fireworks would be deeply entertaining. I find that I cant feel too sorry for idiots like him who have invested so drat much in Crobbles inane vision, but I can feel some small degree of sympathy for him as a victim of his own idiocy.

At least that's what "I" think...

I had a few fights with him and I find it funny that it took him 2.5+ full years to realize what was being told to him back then is still true.
He was a grade A duche then and still. It must hurt that he has 6k in the game. But then you can be on his idriss anytime.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/47gvfd/time_warner_says_i_wont_be_allowed_to_download/

I thought this was funny after the whole CIG uses TWC business internet commercials

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican

Mr.Tophat posted:

gently caress it, you're allowed to write an open letter to whoever you want.

tru nuff. i'm not hating on g0rf, just posting that i think it's pointless trying to get to their feelings. because if you thought nihilism was bad, let me introduce you to these sociopaths.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

pepito sanchez posted:

tru nuff. i'm not hating on g0rf, just posting that i think it's pointless trying to get to their feelings. because if you thought nihilism was bad, let me introduce you to these sociopaths.

Nihilsts will cut off toes, but sociopaths will cut back on features???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Ponzi posted:

Another SC vid with bugs I haven't seen before:

That video is great, he managed to get through an airlock, find his ship, use the lift to enter it, climb a ladder, open a door, find the pilot seat, all with no points of reference and everything being invisible.

The bug looks more fun that the current normal gameplay, at least he's puzzle solving.

AP fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Feb 25, 2016

• Locked thread