Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

carry on then posted:

why does it need to be there in the first place, someone give me a genuine answer here

its for when you're carrrying around your desktop PC in your back pocket and you accidentally bump the Windows key on your 104 key keyboard, the lock screen can appear for a couple seconds and then your desktop PC can go back to sleep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

Shaggar posted:

It didn't on any of my windows 10s

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Fame Douglas posted:

Yes, weird how this adware bundled with every copy of Windows turns out to be bundled with every version of Windows

its not though. its only available on apparently one guy in this thread's version

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

carry on then posted:

why does it need to be there in the first place, someone give me a genuine answer here

you can get rid of it with some random group policy setting. I learned this after it pissed me off one too many times after trying to log in and it missing the first few keystrokes. its presence is absolutely worthless on a desktop.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

yeah I haven't seen any ads yet

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

i've installed the 1511 update on a blank disk. enterprise, pro, and education and gotten both candy crush, minecraft, and a photoshop placeholder. they tend to re-install themselves even after you uninstall them. we've also bought 13 surface 3 education bundles and they've all gotten it, too. even if you install office, get office still will not shut up.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

lol @ everyone who thinks i'm talking about ads

TerminalRaptor posted:

you can get rid of it with some random group policy setting. I learned this after it pissed me off one too many times after trying to log in and it missing the first few keystrokes. its presence is absolutely worthless on a desktop.

oh, drat. ty. maybe one day they will see reason and make it an option in the settings app where settings go

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Dolomite posted:

i've installed the 1511 update on a blank disk. enterprise, pro, and education and gotten both candy crush, minecraft, and a photoshop placeholder. they tend to re-install themselves even after you uninstall them. we've also bought 13 surface 3 education bundles and they've all gotten it, too. even if you install office, get office still will not shut up.
i think what it must be is the build 1511 version, specifically

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

THC posted:

yeah I haven't seen any ads yet

the Canadian ad sales team is slacking

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

theultimo posted:

use ltsb and your worries disappear

hakuna matta

yeah I will when I'm ready to do a proper rollout but for pilot testing when they're still changing stuff real fast and fixing bugs it doens't seem like the best option

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

I understand some of the words

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

erm... actually thieves should be summarily executed
i installed windows 10 clean based on an upgrade from the oem version of 8.1 that came with my laptop.

it has no ads or minecraft or candy crush.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
out of three windows 10 install i have done (all win 10 pro) the only version that had the minecraft/candy crush shortcut in the start menu was the one which had the united states as the primary locale and region for cortana. with my locale set to the UK or India there's nothing in the start menu

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/ads-windows-10-lock-screen/ posted:

Ads pop up on Windows 10 lock screen, and it's not malware: Microsoft put them there
— February 24, 2016

Microsoft recently stuck an ad in the lock screen of Windows 10, meaning many of the 200 million users who upgraded from previous versions were greeted by an advertisement over the past 24 hours.

The ad in question was for the Windows Store version of Rise of the Tomb Raider, and for some users it took up the entire screen with a picture from the game. The new Tomb Raider installment was added to the Windows Store last month, bringing a AAA game to a platform that doesn’t have many of them.

This isn’t a surprise: Microsoft discussed using the lock screen for ads last spring before Windows 10 was widely released. But this is the first time actual ads have shown up.

If you want to disable these unwanted guests, you’re not alone — and there’s an option to do so, as explained by HowToGeek. To summarize, you need to hit Start, then Settings. Head to Personalization, then Lockscreen settings. If “Windows Spotlight” is selected, pick either a “Picture” or “Slideshow” instead. Then uncheck the option that says “Get fun tips tricks and more on your lock screen.” This should disable such ads from showing up on the lock screen entirely.

When we talked to Windows Store developers recently about sales, one developer told us visibility is a key problem. Basically, people don’t look at the Store very often, so sales come from outside press instead of exposure within the Store itself.

Microsoft told us it was hoping to increase visibility for Store apps, and lockscreen ads certainly accomplish that. The question is at what cost.

maybe i dont want ads but the lock screen is a good place for sweet tips and sick tricks
and more

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

anthonypants posted:

it shows up if you don't have a microsoft account tied to your login, and here's a screenshot of it in the windows enterprise evaluation, again
oh yeah that must be it. my home computers all have a microsoft account and they don't have any of that ad crap, but my work account has a local account (because they still don't acknowledge office 365 accounts lol) and it's full of candy crush and junk

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

LentThem posted:

maybe i dont want ads but the lock screen is a good place for sweet tips and sick tricks
and more

"at what cost"

jesus christ really it was a wallpaper for a game microsoft bought temporary exclusivity rights to on your lockscreen not the end of the loving world.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
On the other hand, gently caress ads

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
microsoft aquired xamarin, the guys who developed mono

there's something particularly microsoft about aquiring the company that wrote a translation layer for your proprietary language.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
Does C#/XNA work yet on the xbone?

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
xamarin sell a cross platform mobile app development platform based on mono for $1k/seat

I guess Microsoft plans to close the windows phone app gap by giving everyone access to it and console themselves that it's still in their language. pretty loving desperate move

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

so I guess all that iOS to Windows stuff, and the Universal "works on 1 billion devices" stuff isn't working. so they'll try make a whole C#-based cross-platform universal app framework?

for better or worse thing java script is the hot cross platform thing

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
worse

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Wheany posted:

Does C#/XNA work yet on the xbone?

xna has been officially dead for a while. indie games use fna and monogame now.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

The_Franz posted:

xna has been officially dead for a while. indie games use fna and monogame now.

well of course xna is dead, it's something microsoft has created between 2000 and (NOW() - 2 years)

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Amethyst posted:

there's something particularly microsoft about aquiring the company that wrote a translation layer for your proprietary language.

I hope the Mono dude takes the money and runs rather than working for MS. idk, though, he also helped make GNOME so maybe they can pick up some hot UI design tips.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Dodoman posted:

"at what cost"

jesus christ really it was a wallpaper for a game microsoft bought temporary exclusivity rights to on your lockscreen not the end of the loving world.

and nobody who changed the lock screen to a custom image saw it

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Amethyst posted:

C# has always been open sores mono is just one implementation and is not an emulator or anything like wine

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Wheany posted:

well of course xna is dead, it's something microsoft has created between 2000 and (NOW() - 2 years)

i don't think there is any real point in porting indie games to xbоne anyways since the ones that have released sales figures generally show all xbox platform sales as a tiny, barely visible sliver in the pie chart

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

the xamarin acquisition effectively brings microsoft into direct competition with the company I work for in a specific space. it's a sign of the times we're less worried about competition from ms then we were from the gnome 3 guy lol. remember when Microsoft used to inspire fear? lmao

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
It's a win-win. The gnome guy got paid and your company has one less competitor

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

Wheany posted:

It's a win-win. The gnome guy got paid and your company has one less competitor

that's literally the feeling around here. twenty years ago we would have just shitcanned or open soresed our efforts and walked away on that news. instead today it's :slick::toot::hfive:

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Dodoman posted:

"at what cost"

As well as a wallpaper for The Beatles, now available on Groove(tm)

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
the beatles are a cool and historic band, they can grace my desktop whenever they want

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Ultra mobile PCs are back baby!

(those things were just as terrible to use as they looked)

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug
I still own this

http://youtu.be/DnzwbTO8FPY

it's as lovely as you think, it's a pre atom atom at 800mhz

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

PleasureKevin posted:

shaggar pulls more poo poo out of his as than I do in the apple predictions threads

but like daily

remember when he matter of factly said buses create traffic congestion

you ever have to drive behind a bus? it sucks.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug
we have things called bus lanes

most of the time buses are non issues

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

theultimo posted:

we have things called bus lanes

most of the time buses are non issues

why would you waste an entire lane on buses?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

at one point in time i would've been unironically excited for this.

• Locked thread