Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Geektox posted:

From the screenshots it basically looks like Clash of Clans but more modern setting? Is that kinda how it works?

The city building is the meat of the game. The clash of clans seems like an after thought that some executive forced into the game. It still adds something because building protection builds near your item creators is a decent idea. But I honestly have no idea if I have ever been attacked or not. The other minigame is way more important to the game. It basically build a new city in 3 minutes with all the timers removed and everything sped up. and another person is sharing the map and getting in your way. It is pretty fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sjonkel
Jan 31, 2012
Been enjoying Clash Royale a little lately, in the goon clan already and it's a fun little game. Are there any specific cards/units I should try to focus on? Been relying on prince, giants and goblin huts now, with some other units sprinkled in. Seems to work so far, but I'm only at 400 trophies, so who knows.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Sjonkel posted:

Been enjoying Clash Royale a little lately, in the goon clan already and it's a fun little game. Are there any specific cards/units I should try to focus on? Been relying on prince, giants and goblin huts now, with some other units sprinkled in. Seems to work so far, but I'm only at 400 trophies, so who knows.

Prince is a game changer, giants are good damage soakers, as far as commons and rares go i would say barbarians, giants, goblin spearthrowers and musketeers are all really good, strong, high priority units. i'm personally not a fan of unit spawners like goblin hut but ive been slapped multiple times with them and lost so its definitely viable

one option would be straight up unitvomit with goblin hut, barb hut, tombstone, witch, and aim for rage potion if you have it/can get it

Zander13
Apr 6, 2011

Rafzakael posted:

Prince is a game changer, giants are good damage soakers, as far as commons and rares go i would say barbarians, giants, goblin spearthrowers and musketeers are all really good, strong, high priority units. i'm personally not a fan of unit spawners like goblin hut but ive been slapped multiple times with them and lost so its definitely viable

one option would be straight up unitvomit with goblin hut, barb hut, tombstone, witch, and aim for rage potion if you have it/can get it

The only problem is someone could have a clear deck and just wipe everything out with arrows and fireballs.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

i like the goblin hut but it can be tricky to use well. it seems easier to use it as a defensive unit, for example pulling away an enemy giant's aggro so that you can finish it off while it moseys away from your tower to the hut. or as a producer of "backup" for your tanky unit that's soaking damage, and the hut spawns like 3 gobs who then help to clear away everything that was hitting your tank.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Zander13 posted:

The only problem is someone could have a clear deck and just wipe everything out with arrows and fireballs.

thats true, but i don't think there is a guaranteed win deck to be honest; everything has counters

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
The achievements in Sage Solitare are laughably impossible. 'Clear the table in under 40 seconds'... yeah. Unless paying for the full version changes the difficulty of the game, vegas mode itself seems impossible to beat

Still a fun game though

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
I'm taking a short notice flight out on Thursday with my kids for a funeral service. I would like to put some games on my tablet for my son (5 years old) to play that don't require WiFi. I'd be grateful for any suggestions.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
I don't think Angry Birds and the like requires internet to run. I think there's even 0.99 versions in Amazon that are designed to be ad-free (or there were when I cared about Angry Birds).

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Good call, forgot about Angry Birds.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Any good apps that are close to EU4/Hearts of Iron Paradox games? Like in depth either multiplayer/single player works.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

New Leaf posted:

I don't think Angry Birds and the like requires internet to run. I think there's even 0.99 versions in Amazon that are designed to be ad-free (or there were when I cared about Angry Birds).

Correct me if I'm wrong (it's been forever since I've bothered with Angry Birds), but if you're not connected to a network, aren't the ads automatically disabled?

Rapner
May 7, 2013

Fat_Cow posted:

Any good apps that are close to EU4/Hearts of Iron Paradox games? Like in depth either multiplayer/single player works.

I want to poke fun at you for asking something ridiculous but instead I'll just sit here and hope such a thing actually exists, because I really want it too.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Fat_Cow posted:

John tiller has several games on Android that are basically identical to the PC versions (not an upside.)

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Do Squad Based Rogulikes exist for the phone?

Also has anyone played Star Chindy? Apparently it's Xcom for boarding fights, FTL for ship to ship fights, and Civ for base building? I haven't actually played it, and I'm a little weary because of the weird keyword pushing they did at the end. Still, looks fun, but I don't want to take the plunge for 3.34...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.MASTGames.StarChindy01&hl=en

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

I find it almost incomprehensible that SimGolf still isn't available on a mobile platform. Is there anything roughly similar, where you design a simple golf course and can play through it with simple shot selection?

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

regulargonzalez posted:

I find it almost incomprehensible that SimGolf still isn't available on a mobile platform. Is there anything roughly similar, where you design a simple golf course and can play through it with simple shot selection?

Found a game called Mini Golf'Oid that mentions it has a course designer but otherwise doesn't resemble SimGolf much.

Golfinity is also a pretty nifty golf game with simple mechanics, though no course designer.

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010

regulargonzalez posted:

This sounds like a real fun thing to have on my phone. Grab and play a highly rated course off the server while pooping. Then make my own course where all the fairways are dicks.

Might look in to knocking a little something up one day maybe.

Star Chindy looks really interesting but I don't know if I want to spend my surveybux on it yet. Repeating the request for impressions if anyone has them.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Fat_Cow posted:

I hope the answer is yes!

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Fat_Cow posted:

King of Dragon Pass

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Feb 24, 2016

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Episode one of Telltale's The Walking Dead: Michonne is out.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Aw it isn't the backstory of how Michonne became a gigantic goon.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
It's been a while since this was mentioned but since I've been playing it everyday for 6 months I suppose I should plug Resources, a GPS-based economic/corporation simulator.

You basically start with $50,000,000 and the ability to scan and plop down clay mines, and with that clay you can sell or put through your factory to produce bricks. Bricks can then be sold, or used for various other parts of your company (like making other factories). As you level up, you'll be able to scan and mine more deposits like oil, copper, gold, etc. These mines will have various qualities, as you upgrade your scan center you'll be able to more accurately judge how rich a deposit is.

People who travel more will have an easier time with it, as they'll be able to plop more mines, but later on the mine quality will play a bigger factor rather than the amount of mines you have. There is a small PVP element where you can attack other people's mines to steal some resources from them, it's pretty rare where I live but I'd imagine it's more prevalent in bigger cities.

It's one European dude who made the game, and there are no ads. You can pay for "tech upgrades" (which will increase mine quality) or "giant diamonds" (which will instantly complete factory jobs) however these aren't needed. Factories can be infinitely upgraded to increase production, and both tech upgrades and giant diamonds can be found and collected on the map.

If anyone gets into it, let me know and I'd be happy to send some cash your way.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I've played it and can toss goons cash too
Tater_SaladSA

It gers fun then I put it down then play the put it down.. it helps if you are driving amd walking around a lot, in the northeast in winter I'm it going to walk much.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:

vulturesrow posted:

I'm taking a short notice flight out on Thursday with my kids for a funeral service. I would like to put some games on my tablet for my son (5 years old) to play that don't require WiFi. I'd be grateful for any suggestions.

Games by Toca Boca seem to be big hits with kids at that age. If you have Amazon Underground, they have a few for free. While you're at it, get Beach Buggy Racing and/or Beach Buggy Blitz, which are Mario Kart knock-offs, only they're perfect for young kids because all they have to really do is tilt to steer and the car auto-accelerates. The Underground versions don't have the IAP stuff.

Games about a thing going downward and you dodging stuff: Ridiculous Fishing is always a winner. Skiing Yeti Mountain and Adult Swim's Giant Boulder of Death are fun too.

Monument Valley and a new clone called Evo Explores are fine for a 5 year old as long as you can help them when they get stuck.

All the Where's My Mickey/Perry/Water games. Again, the Underground versions are superior.

A very surprising hit is Adult Swim's Castle Doombad. You'll have to finesse the idea of you playing as a bad guy who kidnapped a princess. But, it's pretty interesting to see a 4 or 5 year old develop a strategy.

As far as bubble-shooter games, the Inside Out one is decent.

I'm not much of a supporter of educational games. I think there's an awful lot of garbage and the apps that aren't total garbage have dubious support as to their benefits.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
That Futurama match-3 game is out of soft launch and should be available for everyone now.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Knightmare posted:

It's been a while since this was mentioned but since I've been playing it everyday for 6 months I suppose I should plug Resources, a GPS-based economic/corporation simulator.

As strange as this is going to sound, even though it's GPS-based you don't need a data plan to actually play it. There is some fun to be had sucking up wifi wherever you go and hunting down good spots to drop mines. That's how I run it and I'm over a trillion bucks, all the factory types and I've only been attacked by one guy so far.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Indie dev Radiangames has put all his games on sale for 99 cents. Most of them are pretty fun, with Super Crossfighter being my top pick.

mrkillboy fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Feb 25, 2016

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

delfin posted:

As strange as this is going to sound, even though it's GPS-based you don't need a data plan to actually play it. There is some fun to be had sucking up wifi wherever you go and hunting down good spots to drop mines. That's how I run it and I'm over a trillion bucks, all the factory types and I've only been attacked by one guy so far.

I've been playing it lazy mode, I buy raw resources from the market and run them through my factories then sell the end product. It used to be insanely profitable but a recent update put a ui element in that shows the expected profit/loss for running factories with purchased materials so it became a much easier/more popular income source.

I'm in as ephphatha. I tried to add you tater but got a message that a user with that name doesn't exist.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I forgot I changed becsuse I trolled chat ebough to piss a lot of folks off becsuse it was far too easy to do.

Nuff Said export is my new name

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Meatwave posted:

Games by Toca Boca seem to be big hits with kids at that age. If you have Amazon Underground, they have a few for free. While you're at it, get Beach Buggy Racing and/or Beach Buggy Blitz, which are Mario Kart knock-offs, only they're perfect for young kids because all they have to really do is tilt to steer and the car auto-accelerates. The Underground versions don't have the IAP stuff.

Games about a thing going downward and you dodging stuff: Ridiculous Fishing is always a winner. Skiing Yeti Mountain and Adult Swim's Giant Boulder of Death are fun too.

Monument Valley and a new clone called Evo Explores are fine for a 5 year old as long as you can help them when they get stuck.

All the Where's My Mickey/Perry/Water games. Again, the Underground versions are superior.

A very surprising hit is Adult Swim's Castle Doombad. You'll have to finesse the idea of you playing as a bad guy who kidnapped a princess. But, it's pretty interesting to see a 4 or 5 year old develop a strategy.

As far as bubble-shooter games, the Inside Out one is decent.

I'm not much of a supporter of educational games. I think there's an awful lot of garbage and the apps that aren't total garbage have dubious support as to their benefits.

Thanks for this man, I really appreciate it. I forgot about Amazon Underground completely. And I completely agree with your comment about educational apps being garbage. Plenty of "regular" games do just fine in exercising different skills for kids.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
So I decided to throw down cash on King of Dragon Pass after everyone has raved about it for so long and good loving lord what have I gotten myself into? Does anyone have a tutorial-beyond-the-tutorial, because this game is complicated as gently caress. I could see really playing this on Steam or something I guess, but goddamn..

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

New Leaf posted:

So I decided to throw down cash on King of Dragon Pass after everyone has raved about it for so long and good loving lord what have I gotten myself into? Does anyone have a tutorial-beyond-the-tutorial, because this game is complicated as gently caress. I could see really playing this on Steam or something I guess, but goddamn..

Here, have the game manual:
http://a-sharp.com/kodp/ios/KoDP-Manual.pdf

and a wiki:
http://kodp.wikidot.com/start

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Feb 25, 2016

orange sky
May 7, 2007

A mobile game manual with 60 pages. drat.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

New Leaf posted:

I read the two LPs in the archive. Between the two of them the mechanics mostly just kind of appear although those are based on the old version that's on GOG. After playing a shitload of it on my phone I did drop the money to buy the steam version because it plays way better with a mouse.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

New Leaf posted:

The important thing to remember is that the ducks are physically weak creatures, but they are rich in resources. Steal from them as much as you want, there is nothing they can do about except be small annoyances.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Also if you find glowing weapons they're magic and really great.

tonytheshoes
Nov 19, 2002

They're still shitty...

mrkillboy posted:

Indie dev Radiangames has put all his games on sale for 99 cents. Most of them are pretty fun, with Super Crossfighter being my top pick.

Wow, thanks for pointing this out! Slydris has been one of my favorite puzzlers for quit a while, but I've never tried any of the other games.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Morpheus posted:

I'm enjoying Seabeard. It's got a fair amount of grind to it, but it's still pretty fun to run around, collecting and crafting stuff.

I just wish it didn't take so drat long to get a Warrior.

The rest of the game is fun, and it's well-produced to boot. Kind of wish there were ads to watch to get the premium currency, but between the daily quests and daily log-in bonuses, I'm getting a decent flow of them anyway.

I am liking most of this game but right now I have 2 quests that want Planks and I cannot find enough Driftwood on the islands I have open. I assume that it respawns again at some point but it must be once a day or something.

I cannot really progress until I can finish at least one of these quests as the building brother guys are tied up waiting on me to provide planks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the auschwitz diet
Mar 19, 2004
I toast mine own alcoholism

Trastion posted:

I am liking most of this game but right now I have 2 quests that want Planks and I cannot find enough Driftwood on the islands I have open. I assume that it respawns again at some point but it must be once a day or something.

I cannot really progress until I can finish at least one of these quests as the building brother guys are tied up waiting on me to provide planks.

I found the time gating really annoying and quit a few days in. Things take forever to respawn and restricting activities to the day/night cycle was more inconvenient than anything. It was a really cute scavenger hunt with long load screens and without any redeeming gameplay or anything.

the auschwitz diet fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Feb 26, 2016