Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

the saturn was the best console for fighting games, good advice sanshiro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I read that in juicebox' s exasperated voice.

He's been posting some of his stream on YouTube, where he is giving noob lessons, btw.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

Bleck posted:

You know, if they're new players, they might not know what "meaties" actually means. Getting exasperated that they aren't paying attention to something that they don't know exists isn't going to help them learn any faster.

They can google it though! If I explain every term, then people will complain that my post is too long, if I don't explain it, I'll get complaints that I didn't explain enough.

The Timely Howard
Dec 26, 2008

ASK ME WHAT MAKES ME THINK I'M SO FUNKY
Hey, just jumping in to remind everyone how awful matchmaking is. I'm sitting around 5300 LP and am constantly getting matched up with people in the 1000 to 2000 range. I've played over 10 matches tonight and only got one person above 3000.

All the characters in this game are neutered to the point where they only have so many things they can do and combos are so easy that you're going to see people at every level of play doing the same (most damaging) combos, so the only fun to be had in playing this game is from all the yomi bullshit that the game won't let me do any of because it keeps matching me up against people who aren't to the point where they're actually thinking yet.

With SFIV's matchmaking system I could at least look for and be guaranteed a match against other players who know what they're doing - this is a complete shitshow and a humongous waste of time. I only get 5 points per win and stand to lose 150+ if I lose, so it's not like I even get the satisfaction of climbing a pointless online ladder.

God drat it's hard to imagine a way they could have hosed this up harder.

Zebia
Oct 10, 2012

How's my volume?

Cat Machine posted:

my biggest problem vs. karin is learning which of her moves are unsafe on block, a lot of them look unsafe but i have a hard time punishing

If it is not ex mujin kyaku, or her shoulder (apparently ex one is unsafe as well), then you can punish her specials. As for normals, her standing HK and crouching MK are unsafe (both are -4), crouching HP and crouching HK are very unsafe (-7 and -14, respectively). All of her other normals on the ground are either safe or give her advantage (which is important to look out for since frame traps are pretty dangerous in this game).

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1976rt8B91PqVCeYJAmcnW1uwVJ0H03QJtV-dJC5ohL8/htmlview?sle=true

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

The Timely Howard posted:

God drat it's hard to imagine a way they could have hosed this up harder.

Did you play SFIV on release? Because that very quickly became my Balrog never being challenged, probably due to the hordes of terrible people. When I came back during AE I got tonnes of people who were really good. I'm assuming because all the bads had left by that point. (Spoilers I am actually bad)

Also, what Meaties does Laura have on a quickrise/quick backdash? I've got slow rise figured with HP fireball into crossup MK, or HP fireball into overhead, or HP fireball into Cr. MK, but I can't see anything obvious if they quickrise and don't watch enough youtube to know.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
"Safe" is anything with a block advantage of -3 or more, right? I'm presuming that means your recovery lasts 3 frames longer than their blockstun, but they can't punish you as long as you're holding back because the fastest normal has a 3 frame startup.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Do all fighting games go down to autistic people?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I hate losing to R. Mika only because her character design is bad. Her win pose looks so weird and static and flat.

Also I'm not sure if the ranked mode is working as intended, but out of 10 fights last night I was put up against 8 people 1.5 to 2 times my LP and more than twice as high in the global rankings who just absolutely dominated me. The two games against people close to my LP/rank were much more evenly matched. Lost one, won the other.

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Feb 25, 2016

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Man, i can tell when I'm making incremental progress on combos but I feel like I'm going nowhere with the instant air legs. The motion feels so spastic and imprecise that I don't think I'm repeating any one motion yet. I'll try 30 times and get 2-3 in a row from the left, nothing from the right.

[Guy complaining about execution in the game for street babbies]

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM

Verisimilidude posted:

I hate losing to R. Mika only because her character design is bad. Her win pose looks so weird and static and flat that it bothers me.

Get the rear end slap mod, it helps. Best part about the character.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Man, i can tell when I'm making incremental progress on combos but I feel like I'm going nowhere with the instant air legs. The motion feels so spastic and imprecise that I don't think I'm repeating any one motion yet. I'll try 30 times and get 2-3 in a row from the left, nothing from the right.

The method I use (which works 100% of the time if I don't gently caress it up) is 2369632. I really ride the edges of the gate to make sure every input is going in.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

fozzy fosbourne posted:

dont tiger knee it, you don't need to

just do jump forward qcf as fast as you can and you'll naturally get the timing

adding an extra two directions (see cat machine's method) off a tiger knee also gets you to the same timing but might be more awkward depending on your execution level- just do whatever works

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Golem II posted:

They prefer the name Fight Game Autistés geez

My game plan in this is so one dimensional. I really need to do what was suggested up thread and watch match videos to learn some proper mixups rather than meaty or throw or block.

I also need to learn how to have a proper offense from the ground. I can definitely get in some pokes here and there, but most of my offense as Karin currently is from getting a knockdown and I know there's gotta be ways to construct a proper offense aside from jumping in or random pokes.

Fighting games are hard

Weird Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Feb 25, 2016

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Golem II posted:

you seem salty about not being able to use google

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
If I played FaNg I would be salty too.

Edit: VVV Agreed Vega is like S-tier pretty

Saint Freak fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Feb 25, 2016

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Saint Freak posted:

The Man from F.A.N.G. is dumb-looking and my hot tip would be to switch to a beautiful character like Karin or Zangief or Birdie

If you want to be Prince petty play Vega

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I'm not gonna post things anymore.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Elvis_Maximus posted:

They prefer the game Fight Game Autistés geez

My game plan in this is so one dimensional. I really need to do what was suggested up thread and watch match videos to learn some proper mixups rather than meaty or throw or block.

I also need to learn how to have a proper offense from the ground. I can definitely get in some pokes here and there, but most of my offense as Karin currently is from getting a knockdown and I know there's gotta be ways to construct a proper offense aside from jumping in or random pokes.

Fighting games are hard

Same here. Right now the majority of my damage comes from close range lmk pokes and sweeps. I can occasionally get off a decent combo with ryu (s.mp, s.hp, s.hk) usually by jumping in but I get punished so often for trying that initial jump kick that it makes me wary to try. I'm trying to get rid of my mental block of walking towards the opponent but I'm getting punished for that as well, which leads to me being frustrated, wondering what I'm doing wrong, then venting my nerd rage in training.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Cat Machine posted:

The method I use (which works 100% of the time if I don't gently caress it up) is 2369632. I really ride the edges of the gate to make sure every input is going in.

Fereydun posted:

dont tiger knee it, you don't need to

just do jump forward qcf as fast as you can and you'll naturally get the timing

adding an extra two directions (see cat machine's method) off a tiger knee also gets you to the same timing but might be more awkward depending on your execution level- just do whatever works

Thanks dudes, I will come back to it

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Golem II posted:

I'm not gonna post things anymore.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

Can I be a tree¿

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

It's like...if you don't want to learn how to do stuff, then just go play the game and don't post about it on forums. There are plenty of things I play casually and I don't care about being good/autistic about it at all.

It's totally fine if you don't want to get good at FGs and want to play for fun, but just go have fun instead of pretending like you want to learn stuff!

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Someone make a gif like getin frog but instead it's bison and says "rise up"

E; or maybe :staydown: i dunno

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Feb 25, 2016

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
For real though hardly anyone plays FANG and he's had the least competitive presence of any character in the game right now, if you really want to play that dude you're going to have to do some digging for info, that's just how it is.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

angel opportunity posted:

It's like...if you don't want to learn how to do stuff, then just go play the game and don't post about it on forums. There are plenty of things I play casually and I don't care about being good/autistic about it at all.

It's totally fine if you don't want to get good at FGs and want to play for fun, but just go have fun instead of pretending like you want to learn stuff!

for what its worth i read that longpost up above and its helping me learn bison, a character that i did not play ever in SFIV/AE/USF4, so it didn't go unnoticed, ty

what game is this, i didn't think mokujin vs ryu happened ever, isn't txsf still being worked on?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Looks like Project X Zone

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

In Training posted:

Looks like Project X Zone

oh man, i played that for like an hour and got bored

it looked so good

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Golem II posted:

The FGC would probably rip a for-real autistic person to shreds. Aspies gravitate towards games that don't require any real skill like RPGs and Nintendo games.

Like a decent amount of FGC people I know can barely even be called nerds and aren't really into a lot of nerdy stuff other than video games and are more into sports, going to the gym and hip hop than Star Wars, anime and Magic the Gathering and whatnot.

Although at least half are big weeaboos, myself included

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Gammatron 64 posted:

The FGC would probably rip a for-real autistic person to shreds. Aspies gravitate towards games that don't require any real skill like RPGs and Nintendo games.

Like a decent amount of FGC people I know can barely even be called nerds and aren't really into a lot of nerdy stuff other than video games and are more into sports, going to the gym and hip hop than Star Wars, anime and Magic the Gathering and whatnot.

lol

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Gammatron 64 posted:

lol

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

Gammatron 64 posted:

Sorry to be mean

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
yeah I'm a turbonerd it's no secret

fnox
May 19, 2013

Karin IS more complex than just her BnB juggle combo, it's just that pulling off poo poo like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrT20Mu0BLo is hard to do online.

Her more interesting setups I think are yet to be discovered.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Gammatron 64 posted:

Lmfao

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

Why is Karin's special the same as Bison's throw?

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Bison juices with psycho power where as Karin is just really buff because she ate Yun's heart

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

i have some real autistic FG people stories like a guy who named himself (irl too) after the combination of two pokemons' names, and his dad came with him to the first meetup he showed up at

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
didnt chris g use to go by like "fire wizard" or some poo poo like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Wasn't there a smash guy jizzing on people's bedsheets or something