Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

mandatory lesbian posted:

is he out of the race yet? i mean, he was always out of it, i mean does he realize it yet?

Well he was just on CNN International, the Crystal Pepsi of news networks. Never count out ol' Gil!

TROIKA CURES GREEK posted:

That's not going to be hard at all though. Tons of white people have been staying home the last couple elections and Trump is exactly like the candidate to bring them out, this is 2008 for the republicans. Bringing out tons of new voters is exactly how he's winning, and once the primary dies down the other republicans are going to hop on board.

The notion of a white populace staying home the last couple of election biding their time for the messiah candidate is completely bunk. Rates of electoral participation has been dropping for all demagraphics over the last couple of decades, for a lot of reasons. There is no evidence that there is a invisible army ready to charge down Pelennor Fields for the Republicans. There is proof that Trump is revving up voter registrations on the other side though: http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2016-01-27/trump-effect-driving-push-for-latino-voter-registration

Speaking of Latino voters:

quote:

The Washington Post-Univision News survey found that 80% of Hispanic registered voters had an unfavorable view—and 72% a very unfavorable view—of Mr. Trump, who has taken a hard line on illegal immigration and made comments about Mexicans that were considered disparaging. Those figures mark a decline for Mr. Trump from last summer, when a Univision poll found that seven in 10 Hispanic voters had a negative view of the billionaire businessman and six in 10 had a very unfavorable impression.

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2016/02/25/hispanic-voters-are-soured-on-donald-trump-poll/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caros
May 14, 2008

I really thought this was going to be addressing Ted's status as the zodiac. :argh:

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

Shageletic posted:

Well he was just on CNN International, the Crystal Pepsi of news networks. Never count out ol' Gil!

The notion of a white populace staying home the last couple of election biding their time for the messiah candidate is completely bunk. Rates of electoral participation has been dropping for all demagraphics over the last couple of decades, for a lot of reasons. There is no evidence that there is a invisible army ready to charge down Pelennor Fields for the Republicans. There is proof that Trump is revving up voter registrations on the other side though: http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2016-01-27/trump-effect-driving-push-for-latino-voter-registration

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2016/02/25/hispanic-voters-are-soured-on-donald-trump-poll/

Yea that's what they said about obama in 08 lol

breaklaw
May 12, 2008

SNAKES N CAKES posted:

It'll be interesting to see what happens when Cruz wins Texas, and Rubio and Kasich lose their home states. How would Rubio justify staying in the race?

Endorsements. He might even start getting high ranking sitting Republicans like Paul Ryan at some point depending on how desperate they get.

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost

Shageletic posted:

The notion of a white populace staying home the last couple of election biding their time for the messiah candidate is completely bunk. Rates of electoral participation has been dropping for all demagraphics over the last couple of decades, for a lot of reasons. There is no evidence that there is a invisible army ready to charge down Pelennor Fields for the Republicans.

Look another Trump Denier.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

User posted:

Rubio is a placeholder. His only job, along with Cruz, is to force an open convention. Of course even that might backfire because I expect Trump can easily select fanatical delegates out of his core supporters.

And then what? Somebody has to be the nominee if it's not Rubio Cruz or Trump.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Meanwhile on Facebook—

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
Donald Trump is very good at using boring adjectives in exciting ways.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Called it. The only thing in Trump's tax returns is proof that he's not worth anywhere near what he claims. Who cares? It's a nonissue.

Hilariously though that "attack," despite being completely worthless against him, probably personally bothers him and gets under his skin a lot more than stuff that could actually work. He has a titanic ego and it's all about how yuge he is.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

WampaLord posted:

Just because you support Trump doesn't make you a racist.

Actually, it does.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

it's so funny how all results are turning out pretty much in the most chaos way possible. Rubio getting stumped in Florida, Cruz dominating in Texas (with possible Rubio getting less than 20%), Kasich getting stumped in Ohio.

It couldn't get any worse for the GOP

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rocks posted:

it's so funny how all results are turning out pretty much in the most chaos way possible. Rubio getting stumped in Florida, Cruz dominating in Texas (with possible Rubio getting less than 20%), Kasich getting stumped in Ohio.

It couldn't get any worse for the GOP

Dominating? Eh.
https://twitter.com/SamWangPhD/status/702911045636063232

He'll try and spin it as a triumph but if Trump wins every state outright except Texas, that should be that.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
Rush thinks Mitt's attack is an effort to freeze out endorsements.

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin
New Pennsylvania (April 26) poll from Franklin & Marshall taken from 2/13 through 2/21 (234 LV / 6.4 MOE!!!)

Trump 21
Rubio 18
Cruz 16
Kasich 16!!!
Carson 5

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Montasque posted:

Rush thinks Mitt's attack is an effort to freeze out endorsements.

The flood of endorsements that were coming Trump's way and surely the reason for his success you mean?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
https://twitter.com/auctnr1/status/702904441163358208

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Joementum posted:

The flood of endorsements that were coming Trump's way and surely the reason for his success you mean?

Rush is back on the benzos obviously.

This is a great parody account.

Montasque fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Feb 25, 2016

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Peachstapler posted:

New Pennsylvania (April 26) poll from Franklin & Marshall taken from 2/13 through 2/21 (234 LV / 6.4 MOE!!!)

Trump 21
Rubio 18
Cruz 16
Kasich 16!!!
Carson 5

So literally anyone in this list except Carson could be the leader, eh?

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Bad news for Cruz

quote:

A group of conservative activist leaders that voted late last year to endorse Ted Cruz over Marco Rubio held a conference call Tuesday to re-evaluate their positions based on new developments in the Republican presidential race, according to multiple sources familiar with the situation.

The upshot:If Cruz is not successful on Super Tuesday — by carrying his native Texas at the least — some of his prominent backers are prepared to defect to Rubio. The call was held by members of The GROUP, a secretive cabal of prominent conservatives led by the Family Research Council’s Tony Perkins and the Senate Conservatives Fund’s Ken Cuccinelli.

The outfit has endeavored since late 2014 to coalesce “the movement” of grassroots activists nationwide behind a single GOP candidate, hoping to prevent a splintering of the conservative vote that would allow a more moderate Republican to clinch the nomination.

Not all members were invited to the discussion, which was apparently guarded from Cruz’s most loyal backers. Perkins, who did not respond to repeated calls seeking comment before this story’s publication, said afterward he was not aware of any conference call, and said there isn’t “a snowball’s chance” that he will support Rubio. (He also said any suggestion of Cruz’s allies abandoning him are “lies from the Rubio camp.”

In fact, the call and recent conversations surrounding it were confirmed by multiple sources, including those not aligned with Rubio.) The GROUP voted in early December on an endorsement, and after five rounds of balloting Cruz clinched the 75 percent supermajority needed for members to publicly support him.

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/431857/conservative-leaders-hedge-support-cruz

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

6.4% MoE is trash to begin with. I guess it shows that there's no clear leader in PA?

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Nietzschean posted:

Meanwhile on Facebook—

Honestly Trump has a point. "Effective tax rate 14%" Romney is the last person in the world who should talk about tax returns.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

So...what? They switch to Rubio and they're STILL losing.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I'm shocked, shocked, to learn that one of Cruz's colleagues refuses to support him.

quote:

In the lead-up to Super Tuesday, Cruz is seeking other ways to reinforce his Southern credentials. In recent weeks, he has been aggressively appealing to Rand Paul for an endorsement. Yet three sources close to the Kentucky senator said Paul had rebuffed Cruz, saying that he had no intention of endorsing anyone anytime soon. A Cruz spokesperson declined to comment.

Also shocking to learn that Rand just picked up his ball and went home after losing.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Everyone Hates Cruz should be the next big sitcom.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Shageletic posted:

Saying that voting rates have been declining for devades is inaccurate. Presidential turnout bottomed out in 1996 at ~49% and rebounded above 55% in 2004, hitting 58% in 2008, the highest since 1968. Turnout in 2012, though down, was around 55% like 2004.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
O, but he'll keep his word!

https://twitter.com/MittRomney/status/702914516338798592

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

After the debate we should have a clearer view of where things stand... But right now I think Trump is going to crush Super Tuesday, and Rubio will still be THE FRONT RUNNER but Cruz will have the second most delegates.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Zippy the Bummer posted:

Trump and his troops march down a muddy dirt road. They come to a crossroads, and suddenly, Carson and his little band of merry high men drop down from the trees. "Ho there, travelers!" Carson shouts. "Like give us your coin and poo poo, man, and you can pass."

Trump draws a kaleidoscope from his cloak. He tosses it to Carson. "There, have some fun, look at those colors."

Carson and his troop gather by the roadside, entranced by the shiny colors and shapes. Trump's column marches on.

Trump gives Carson a thumbs up. "I like this guy, a really great guy," he says

I love these vignettes

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Patter Song posted:

Saying that voting rates have been declining for devades is inaccurate. Presidential turnout bottomed out in 1996 at ~49% and rebounded above 55% in 2004, hitting 58% in 2008, the highest since 1968. Turnout in 2012, though down, was around 55% like 2004.

What about turnout in census years?

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

He's right, accumulated wealth is a much bigger factor in finances than temporary income variations. I guess wealth concentration doesn't sound as interesting to voters as income inequality though. Probably due to 50% of Americans have zero or negative net wealth currently.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

I hope this starts a Twitter slapfight with nothing but Shakespeare quotes.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
It's been all downhill for Cruz ever since he lost CJ Pearson

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...

babypolis posted:

apparently head-to-heads start being predictive around february of the election year, or so i remember reading

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TwinsensRevenge
Aug 13, 2013

The GOP, with all its political influence, infrastructure, and resources, is being humiliated by one Twitter bully. God is great.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Prostrate yourself before the god emperor, and he may grant you eternal life.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Joementum posted:

Also shocking to learn that Rand just picked up his ball and went home after losing.

Rand Paul, despite his odious views, is not a complete moron and is probably too disgusted to have his name further associated with this election cycle.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
It was dumb enough to use Mitt Romney of all people to attack someone on their tax returns. But to then start using Shakespearean language to do so is just...

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Subvisual Haze posted:

He's right, accumulated wealth is a much bigger factor in finances than temporary income variations. I guess wealth concentration doesn't sound as interesting to voters as income inequality though. Probably due to 50% of Americans have zero or negative net wealth currently.

I agree. I'm far from a wealthy person, but it just floors me every time I discover that someone I know has a negative net worth. It's goddamned weird to grow up in a house that simply didn't use credit at all and then hear about apparently everyone being in debt for this, that, or the other thing due to credit—cars, school, whatever. I'd expect it from people who are working on a mortgage or something, but I'm talking about like the average person who's renting. And you can't tell from looking at them—there's people walking around in middle-class mall designer clothes and driving recent-model cars, but they're in just gobs and gobs of debt. And they don't think of themselves as poor, or look or "act" like they're poor, and this mountain of debt does not seem to concern them, even though they're beyond broke. I suppose that functionally they're not, since they can still take a piece of plastic to a store and buy things. And the fact that this is a really widespread thing speaks to the fact that we as a people, and perhaps as a species, really do not draw the distinction between income and wealth very well. Or maybe it just means we're all dumb and bad at math? I'unno, but my point here is that you have a good point.

Addamere fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Feb 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
People are dumb and bad at math.

• Locked thread