Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Zeroisanumber posted:

This train has no brakes.

loving hell. The White House is safe, SCOTUS is safe. I can't believe how relieved I am that the GOP finally, finally cracked-up.

This kind of complacency is dangerous. Always remain vigilant when the stakes are this high.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/RalstonReports/status/702919787471630340

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

This kind of complacency is dangerous. Always remain vigilant when the stakes are this high.

Actually, studies show that when voters think they're going to win, they're more likely to turn out to vote.

Obviously candidates is a different story, but no one here is actually running.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

FCKGW posted:

Trump is is in the WWE hall of fame, this isn't new to him.

I hope Trump picks Vince McMahon as his running mate

Summer 2016: Reporters in the Texas capital are on the edge of their seats as Trump finally announces his veep pick:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNgxyL5zEAk

Ahahaha this loving election

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Oh thank christ. Sandoval, unintentional hero of democrats everywhere.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I love journos whining about access.
https://twitter.com/danmericaCNN/status/702920327475494912

YOU CANT CUT BACK ON PRESS AVAILABILITES! YOU WILL REGRET THIS!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Oh thank christ. Sandoval, unintentional hero of democrats everywhere.
He was never going to actually be nominated, and this cuts short the chance for Senate Republicans to really be publicly shamed.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Probably realized he didn't wanna become a cudgel in a political fight. I doubt Obama was ever serious about nominating him in the first place, he just wanted to bait republicans into saying "Oh we'll make an exception to our dumb made-up rule for this guy."

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

gradenko_2000 posted:

How insane are we talking about here?

Supported companies sterilizing women as a precondition for employment over increasing safety standards.

Not as an abstract thing either. 5 women underwent sterilization to keep their jobs. This was for a chemical company. The defense was that the exposure to the chemicals could cause severe birth defects in future children so to not be held accountable that they made the women get sterilized to work there.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

This is a great read. Makes me loathe and respect Trump at the same time. In the words of some robot, Trump knows exactly what he's doing.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

zoux posted:

I love journos whining about access.
https://twitter.com/danmericaCNN/status/702920327475494912

YOU CANT CUT BACK ON PRESS AVAILABILITES! YOU WILL REGRET THIS!

What the hell is gaggling?

Rubber Tucky
Oct 14, 2004

Next time I will pay attention while choosing my thread tags.

haveblue posted:

It's like googling but for gals.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Fried Chicken posted:

Supported companies sterilizing women as a precondition for employment over increasing safety standards.

Not as an abstract thing either. 5 women underwent sterilization to keep their jobs. This was for a chemical company. The defense was that the exposure to the chemicals could cause severe birth defects in future children so to not be held accountable that they made the women get sterilized to work there.

Even in the 90s Johnson Controls banned women from any jobs that could potentially get transferred or promoted to positions where they might damage a potential fetus.

Sadly, it also took until the 90s for the unions to stick up for these women too.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

haveblue posted:

Press conference, IIRC. Remember that the press basically hate Hillary's guts to begin with because she's essentially cut off interaction with them since her husband was president.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

haveblue posted:

Press circlejerk, basically.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

haveblue posted:

Basically the most informal press avail. Whenever you see a mass of reporters crowding around a person not at a podium and sticking mics and cameras in their faces, that's a press gaggle. Generally a candidate comes off the stump and talks directly to the press pool so they can directly ask questions to get their quotes. It's making their job harder which is why they're whining about it.

CaPensiPraxis
Feb 7, 2013

When in france...
Here I thought fabgoons were making another incursion.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

CaPensiPraxis posted:

Here I thought fabgoons were making another incursion.

Nah, that'll be in 2024 with first gay president Tammy Baldwin.

Well, second, if you count Buchanan.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Zeroisanumber posted:

This train has no brakes.

loving hell. The White House is safe, SCOTUS is safe. I can't believe how relieved I am that the GOP finally, finally cracked-up.

Oh so you are a republican?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Teddybear posted:

Nah, that'll be in 2024 with first gay president Tammy Baldwin.

Well, second, if you count Buchanan.

I was going to say :colbert:

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

computer parts posted:

And that's before you consider that Trump might be too toxic for some regular GOP voters, which hasn't happened in a long time.
He seems to be toxic to so-called "establishment" GOP voters, but I don't see where he's dissuading any "I only vote Republican/I'll never vote Democrat" voters.

It's hard for me to envision a scenario where he doesn't take it all.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Fantastic read. What I love about this article is how it takes to task established journalism as an enabler and their role in facilitating what is essentially something not possible without their contributions. I thought this part was telling:

quote:

It's simple transitive-property rhetoric, and it works. The press went gaga for Rubio after Iowa because – why? Because he's an unthreatening, blow-dried, cliché-spouting, dial-surveying phony of the type campaign journalists always approve of.

And when Rubio gets exposed in the debate as a talking haircut, a political Speak n' Spell, suddenly the throng of journalists who spent the past two weeks trying to sell America on "Marcomentum" and the all-important "establishment lane" looks very guilty indeed. Voters were supposed to take this seriously?

Trump knows the public sees through all of this, grasps the press's role in it and rightly hates us all. When so many Trump supporters point to his stomping of the carpetbagging snobs in the national media as the main reason they're going to vote for him, it should tell us in the press something profound about how much people think we suck.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

SedanChair posted:

I'd love to be able to say it's safe.

Yeah. I'm actually deeply frightened that Trump has gotten this far. The Republican establishment appears to be just as afraid, though I admit I'm not paying as close attention to that.

Simply put, this whole thing scares the crap outta me and I wish I had more confidence in its outcome.

EDIT: Or maybe just the ability to leave the country if things go badly.

Inglonias fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Feb 25, 2016

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

gently caress, made me want to vote for Trump

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Fried Chicken posted:

Always more, always worse. :stare:

For all that I dislike Alito and the late Scalia, they're pretty okay next to Bork.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

DeathSandwich posted:

Press conference, IIRC. Remember that the press basically hate Hillary's guts to begin with because she's essentially cut off interaction with them since her husband was president.

can;t imagine why

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Clinton's righteous, pure, and correct contempt for the press is one of my favorite things about her. I can see why people amenable to fascism would admire the same in Trump

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

One thing I do love about Trump is how he shits all over the news media. Granted, he'd replace it with a bunch of sycophants to the Glory of Trump, but just by articulating with a megaphone the concern that the media is totally corrupt and completely uninterested in the political interests of anyone making less than several million dollars a year, he's radically altered the conversation, and destroyed whatever legitimacy the "Beltway" had. gently caress CNN, MSNBC, the Wall Street Journal, the Washington Post, the New York TImes, Politico, ABC, NBC, CBS, even PBS and NPR (sadly, but they've betrayed us worst of all). It's been comical watching how ludicrously out of touch they are with the situation on the ground, and how little these apparently educated people know about American history - or pretend not to know, I can't tell. Anti-immigrant and protectionist sentiments have been an ebbing and flowing force transcending the normal party divide since the early 19th century. jfc, does American political journalist knowledge only extend as far as WWII + some Civil War and American Revolution stuff? I'm going to assume yes. :smith:
I don't hate any Republican politician or Democratic politician as much as I hate the news media that enables the corporatist agenda that's done most of the work of destroying America. When Donald Trump says Make America Great Again, he's not wrong that that is a thing that needs to happen. He's only wrong about how to do it.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

lol

quote:

It's a few minutes after that when a woman in the crowd shouts that Ted Cruz is a pussy. She will later tell a journalist she supports Trump because his balls are the size of "watermelons," while his opponents' balls are more like "grapes" or "raisins."

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Inglonias posted:

Yeah. I'm actually deeply frightened that Trump has gotten this far. The Republican establishment appears to be just as afraid, though I admit I'm not paying as close attention to that.

Simply put, this whole thing scares the crap outta me and I wish I had more confidence in its outcome.

I'm pretty frightened too. The GOP has effectively ignored Trump since June, and completely underestimated him. I could easily see the Democrats doing the same in the general election. I sincerely hope strategists realize the threat that they're up against right now.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

My favorite part of the Taibbi article:

:laffo:

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
Can't stop quoting that Taibbi article ^^^^This guy gets it

These are some of my favorites

quote:

The two men, of course, are polar opposites in just about every way – Sanders worries about the poor, while Trump would eat a child in a lifeboat – but both are laser-focused on the corrupting role of money in politics.

quote:

Cruz in person is almost physically repellent. Psychology Today even ran an article by a neurology professor named Dr. Richard Cytowic about the peculiarly off-putting qualities of Cruz's face.

He used a German term, backpfeifengesicht, literally "a face in need of a good punch," to describe Cruz. This may be overstating things a little. Cruz certainly has an odd face – it looks like someone sewed pieces of a waterlogged Reagan mask together at gunpoint – but it's his tone more than anything that gets you. He speaks slowly and loudly and in the most histrionic language possible, as if he's certain you're too stupid to grasp that he is for freedom.

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/how-america-made-donald-trump-unstoppable-20160224#ixzz41DDLGQyw

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

LeeMajors posted:

My favorite part of the Taibbi article:

:laffo:

Trump agrees that Cruz has the most punchable face. :allears:

He really is a man of the people.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

More of a melting snowman face, imo.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)
Ted Cruz looks like he's the evil mayor of a town in a kids movie.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

foobardog posted:

Ted Cruz looks like he's the evil mayor of a town in a kids movie.

He's a dead ringer for the foremost rich kid at the camp that's trying to close down the protagonist's camp in that kind of movie.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

zoux posted:

More of a melting snowman face, imo.

I play naive to politics at work in order to avoid trench warfare with my coworkers, and it finally paid off yesterday when I got to ask Cruz supporter if he was talking about that guy who looked like "Melty Nixon".

He paused briefly, looked down, said "Yes", and then went back to talking about Conservative Principles.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Talmonis posted:

I'm more worried about his MRA/Gamergater support. I keep seeing supporters say he's a perfect foil to "all the SJWs"

MRAs and Gamergaters are not a serious presence in the real world. They're an extremely vocal internet subculture, nothing more.

Worrying about Trump is perfectly natural, but not because he's about to start offering opinions on female characters in videogames or w/e.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Evil version of Kevin from the Office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Inglonias posted:

Do what my fiancée did, get engaged to a European :agesilaus:

• Locked thread