Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Trykt posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ha1ZschLseI

Since making tutorials is the thing the cool kids do now I made a super specific one about Ryu. Not even a Ryu tutorial just an analysis of the situation off his f.HP! Please watch, maybe you'll get some ideas for your own character, or at least learn how to think about this situation if you encounter a Ryu in the wild that likes this move.

Mods please change my username to Shimmy Tactics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

ChocNitty posted:

What's rollback netcode?

It's a method for reconciling differences between what the client thinks is going on and what the server thinks is going on. Basically it will rewind the game state up to 4 frames in the event of a mismatch and "re-sync" both players, resulting in what is perceived as a lag spike.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
siri, what is rollback netcode

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
The main benefit of a properly configured rollback netcode is that you don't get input delay and you have the feel of playing offline.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

flatluigi posted:

The main benefit of a properly configured rollback netcode is that you don't get input delay and you have the feel of playing offline.

Can't make this bold enough for SFV.

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

flatluigi posted:

The downside is, if you have a bad connection with the other player, you may see them warping around. But with the other method of handling lag, you would see the whole game slow and that can be just as or more frustrating.

Trouble currently is that it seems only one player sees the rollback and PC has a rather reliable way of forcing that trouble onto the other player. One player sees the match correctly and the other sees all the warping.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Netcode is a myth

Toady posted:

"Netcode" is a made-up umbrella term; game network programmers rarely use it. I'm not sure why you're mocking the phrase "frame-dependent gameplay" either, since it differentiates a fighting game from a shooter, where players rarely interact with each other beyond hitscans. Shooters can get away with more tricks to mask the effects of latency, and they can make philosophical adjustments (e.g., preferring interpolation in order to favor the shooter). The usual tricks aren't as effective in frame-based gameplay like a fighting game, so there's no solution that won't make gamers unhappy. SFxT had a rollback system, and people bitched about frame skipping.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

At what ranked level do people stop disconnecting when they lose

FightingStreet
Oct 21, 2012

Take it to the bank, boys.

Brosnan posted:

Can't make this bold enough for SFV.

In my experience, I would say like 90-95% of the matches I've played online in SFV have been completely fine. Every once in a while I get a lagfest but they're few and far in between.

It's a gigantic step up from 4's netcode, if nothing else

e: And I'm on PS4, for the record

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Help Im Alive posted:

They never stop. In fact it gets worse the higher you get.

I pretty much decided I'm not gonna play ranked until they figure out a way to stop ragequits. FT3/5s in battle lounges are a much better experience in general.

fnox
May 19, 2013

AnonSpore posted:

Netcode is a myth

It's not a myth but it's just easier to explain that the code for the networking is called "netcode" instead of going through how networking for fighting games have to be designed into the engine and isn't actually a separate module or something that is put as an afterthought and can be swapped easily.

In the case of SFV the problem is that instead of having both networked machines trying to maintain a concurrent state, its sync is unilateral and causes imbalanced performance, which creates an advantage, which is dumb considering the only part actually complete in the game is the competitive end.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Hydrocodone posted:

The downside is, if you have a bad connection with the other player, you may see them warping around. But with the other method of handling lag, you would see the whole game slow and that can be just as or more frustrating.

Trouble currently is that it seems only one player sees the rollback and PC has a rather reliable way of forcing that trouble onto the other player. One player sees the match correctly and the other sees all the warping.

As Brosnan implied SFV's rollback is in no way properly configured, and the complete lack of balancing lag and leaving it one-sided is probably the worst offender in that respect.

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008

Jmcrofts posted:

They never stop. In fact it gets worse the higher you get.

I pretty much decided I'm not gonna play ranked until they figure out a way to stop ragequits. FT3/5s in battle lounges are a much better experience in general.

I can't break into silver because probably 50% of my wins are Rage quits. So yes it never ever stops. Play goons lobbies there are some really really good goons to practice against.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

Hydrocodone posted:

Just to clarify this for the original person asking though, rollbacks are one approach (the alternative is often called delay-based netcode). We've got lots of evidence that Capcom's implementation of rollbacks is only so-so, whereas something like GGPO can be held up as the best implementation yet seen.

The way that this sort of level of bad (high latency, without even bringing packetloss into the mix) connection between two players in a game like SF4 (which had delay based netcode) manifests is that everything would have a huge delay between moving. So moving forward and then changing direction, everything feels like it's underwater, or you hold back to block a fireball and your character doesn't 'react' fast enough even though YOU the player did react in time.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Help Im Alive posted:

At the rank of 'Not in the USA'.

Literally not had a single one over like 40 hours online matching.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
In casual matchups is there a reason it's only ever the Waterfall stage?

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA

Feenix posted:

it's the game's way of telling you that casuals cry waterfalls if you don't play the proper, honorable way

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008

Feenix posted:

check what your favorite stage is set too :)

cams
Mar 28, 2003

i really love just hanging out in a lobby and running sets forever, but there are tons of people playing so it makes it hard to find a good connection.

that said, they did a very good job on the matchmaking in ranked and casuals. i hit gold so i am never playing ranked again, but casual is very good at finding a good connection for me. i'd highly reccomend it for people just trying to grind.

obviously ft10 is the fastest way to play as much as possible, but give casuals a try if you're having trouble and want to learn.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

fnox posted:

It's not a myth but it's just easier to explain that the code for the networking is called "netcode" instead of going through how networking for fighting games have to be designed into the engine and isn't actually a separate module or something that is put as an afterthought and can be swapped easily.

In the case of SFV the problem is that instead of having both networked machines trying to maintain a concurrent state, its sync is unilateral and causes imbalanced performance, which creates an advantage, which is dumb considering the only part actually complete in the game is the competitive end.

I was joking, that dude goes on forever about how netcode doesn't exist in the MKX thread and there is literally nothing that can ever be done to make an online experience between any two given connections better or worse

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

fnox posted:

much like how there are no tiers, there is no such thing as "lag"

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Fellblade posted:

At the rank of 'Not in the USA'.

Literally not had a single one over like 40 hours online matching.

I'm in the UK and four of my last five ranked matches ended with them disconnecting :saddowns:

I guess I'll stick to casual/battle lounges for now

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

interrodactyl posted:

much like how there are no tiers, there is no such thing as "lag"

Fighting games are a mythical genre that no one has ever seen or played. Though they are written about in some historical documents, the church considers these sources apocryphal.

Any tips for a Chun player versus Sim? I don't think it's a bad match, necessarily, but I think maybe I'm approaching it wrong. Versus Sim at mid-range my best idea is to make him respond to LP Kikoken, either by sliding (which I will try to block or whiff punish) or teleporting (which I will jab and then dash in during the air recovery), but this feels a little one-dimensional and I think maybe there's something I'm missing.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

AnonSpore posted:

I was joking, that dude goes on forever about how netcode doesn't exist in the MKX thread and there is literally nothing that can ever be done to make an online experience between any two given connections better or worse

There's no such thing as netcode because you can't make philosophical adjustments due to frame-dependent gameplay. I'm not just stringing together words at random, why do you ask?

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_ky2IWeyjo

:getin: :mbison: :staydown:

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I spent 90 minutes yesterday getting my rear end kicked (as Ryu) by a Birdie player. I won 2-3 rounds total and still had fun so the game has to do something right. It's kind of stupid that you can't earn fight money that way, though.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Feb 26, 2016

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug

That... is loving dirty.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

If I saw this happen during a match at a tourney I'd probably go nuts.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

So many ragequitters.... it's a farce in Ranked.

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

I've started uploading matches with ragequitters, they make me feel impotent and angry and it's the only thing I can do about it. Here's a textbook online Ken
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eV7p6rZhWNs

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Flinger posted:

I've started uploading matches with ragequitters, they make me feel impotent and angry and it's the only thing I can do about it. Here's a textbook online Ken
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eV7p6rZhWNs
i uploaded every one i had for most of my time in ranked, i just gotta go through my youtube account and properly name them. will make a post on srk.

all i want is proof of cuntiness to pop up on google if you look them up.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Holy poo poo. :stare:

Subbz
Nov 4, 2008

Miles O'Brian posted:

I've got a 560ti and it works just fine after I turned off v-sync in the nvidia control panel. Was literally slow mo mode before that though.

How's the framerate though? Any skips or slowdowns?

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
I like crush-counter anti-airs. Playing gief, landing crush counters not only from jumps, but also character specific stuff like mika charged dropkick, mash memesault and birdie leap-grabs is really satisfying. The damage from bolshoi is also really nice for punishing jumps. I was so used to SF4 anti-airs basically doing nothing for so long.

https://a.pomf.cat/psrgay.webm

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

cams posted:

i uploaded every one i had for most of my time in ranked, i just gotta go through my youtube account and properly name them. will make a post on srk.

all i want is proof of cuntiness to pop up on google if you look them up.

Jebailey is doing you one better.

https://twitter.com/CEOJebailey/status/702685963718365184

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

I was so used to SF4 anti-airs basically doing nothing for so long.

How soon we forget trade DP -> ultra

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

I still stand firmly by bisons ex moves being not only some of the best in game but usually better than a super, and his super is loving good because it can be used on air or ground and combos after a ton.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

a real american hero

Colorspray
Aug 30, 2007

I'm really bad at this game, but having fun! Sometimes I win. Sometimes I lose. Sometimes I get stuck in a corner eating the same drat move over and over going "this is new whhaaaat can I do in this situation?" and then I'm dead.

Street Fighter is a metaphor for life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Okita
Aug 31, 2004
King of toilets.
I'm having a hard time telling if Momochi is actually hit confirming Ken's b.MP alone or if he just knows it's going to hit in certain situations.

He does it a couple of times in round 1, but here's the one I was looking at(happens at 1:05):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6-NB5MgJKk&t=63s

It looks like he might be punishing the chun dash after the blocked kikoken. Does he just know that it often comes after the kikoken so he pre-emptively throws out the b.MP and confirms the dash + b.MP together?

The chun dash is 15F, the b.MP is 21F from start to finish. I could see him confirming those two together, but if he's confirming the b.MP alone, jesus christ that's inhuman.