Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

88h88 posted:

...then why bother asking?

Because I am curious..? Which I'm told, if why a lot of people ask questions about things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Just made the rookie mistake of not verifying I had enough oil on hand to do an oil change before draining my engine. Used every last drop I could find around the garage and in the trunk and it was just enough. Wouldn't have been a catastrophe, as I have a second car I can run to the store in but it did cause me to panic for a minute.

On the plus side, finally got motivated to do a thing.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Ferremit posted:

Firearms licence is the highest form of ID in Australia- Higher than drivers licence, higher than passport, higher than anything else.

?????? I think I'm missing something here because that's not true. Passport is always the top id for anything other than birth certificate (usually rated 70/100) - other 70 rated documents are citizenship certificates and other forms of id along the lines of a passport like diplomatic papers or some forms refugee documentation. Firearms license is classed as secondry ID and rated between 30 to 40 out of 100

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
My understanding is that usps is pretty mind numbing, but it is a unionized federal government job with all the benfits that entails.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Because I am curious..? Which I'm told, if why a lot of people ask questions about things.

Previously you said...

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I just said I'm not interested. :jerkbag:

Maybe use your words better and say what you actually mean?

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

I'm not interested in physically working there but am curious what it is like working there. Jesus Christ. loving goons, I swear. I'm not going to be a rocket scientist anytime soon either but it would still be cool to learn about the loving job.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I am going to start calling people spoons. This will keep me from ever getting fired.

the next insult up the severity list is 'spanner' and then 'loving spanner'

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Tomarse posted:

British insults are always better. Most Americans would say "dumb rear end" or something else. When you call some one a spoon, that really ups the game.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

BrokenKnucklez posted:

British insults are always better. Most Americans would say "dumb rear end" or something else. When you call some one a spoon, that really ups the game.

Calling someone a 'loving muppet' in Glasgow is essentially equivalent, in terms of severity, to setting their mother on fire.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Always been a fan of the mildly offensive 'tit' option.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

BrokenKnucklez posted:

You also have to deliver the insult correctly so that you don't sound like a proper loving spoon yourself

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Tomarse posted:

You also have to deliver the insult correctly so that you don't sound like a proper loving spoon yourself

Don't be such a oval office mate. (this was a rather cunty post)

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

?????? I think I'm missing something here because that's not true. Passport is always the top id for anything other than birth certificate (usually rated 70/100) - other 70 rated documents are citizenship certificates and other forms of id along the lines of a passport like diplomatic papers or some forms refugee documentation. Firearms license is classed as secondry ID and rated between 30 to 40 out of 100

Well thats quite funny, because to get a firearms renewal, you need to supply 100 points of ID- And they directly list your old firearms licence as 100 points of ID! This is in SA tho, and about 5 years ago now so who knows whats changed since we went all jihadi phobic...

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Jeherrin posted:

Calling someone a 'loving muppet' in Glasgow is essentially equivalent, in terms of severity, to setting their mother on fire.
Calling anyone anything in Glasgow, with an English accent, is a good way to start some poo poo.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Tomarse posted:

I'm personally a fan of buffoon, numpty, goober, muppet, and twit

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
You can't beat gobshite for a casual insult.

Although "munter" or "div" are pretty good too.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

InitialDave posted:

Calling anyone anything in Glasgow, with an English accent, is a good way to start some poo poo.

Tell me about it. Born in London, now live in Glasgow. I've had a few people take a pretty intense dislike to me within the space of a few words.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Brits certainly have the best way with words. They just make everything funnier, and I don't know why. Maybe Brits are just that much funnier than the rest of the world.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I turned on the TV last night for the first time in over a week. I didn't have access to TV while I was in Austin - if I felt the need for TV, I just fired up Netflix or Plex on my phone.

I turned the TV back off pretty quickly. It was all either depressing news or meaningless babble. Think it's time to cancel cable.

88h88 posted:

Cars are our religion. Right?

And cats, apparently.

CornHolio posted:

I...kinda do... not like, directly, but I'm working on a proposal for their next-gen vehicle :v:

What's this I've heard about air conditioning actually being part of the specification this time?

(about time, if it's true)

kastein posted:

I wish my bank would give me an EMV card already, dammit :(

The downside of being with a tiny town credit union.

I'm with one of the largest credit unions in the US. Still no EMV cards, though I was told months ago that I should have one by "February 2016".

Well, it's Feb 2016. Still no EMV card.

My old CU (local only) did have EMV cards, but they kept throwing in new fees and getting less and less helpful. Their online banking was straight out of 2001 too, which only helped me make my decision to move away from them.

InitialDave posted:

Up until last week, I always thought Scots and Brits had the same, or at least similar, accent. And thought the accent was similar to an Australian accent.

Then I found myself in a room with a Scot, a Brit, a few Australians, and a Canadian. Add a couple of Danes and a Spaniard to the mix and oh god it got difficult to follow conversations pretty quick.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Tide posted:

Brits certainly have the best way with words. They just make everything funnier, and I don't know why. Maybe Brits are just that much funnier than the rest of the world.

I was about to say I was partial to bellend, but that's not quite how I wanted that phrase to come across.

ETA: STR, I think you mean Scots and English. The Scots are British (but some of them don't like that).

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

KozmoNaut posted:

They seem pretty upbeat about it, honestly.

One of my colleagues is this happy-peppy type guy who's also into crystals, feng shui, clairvoyance, the whole shebang. He's always got a goofy smile on his face, and no matter what comes up at work with botched releases or other fuckups, he's just there in the middle of it all, in his usual happy-go-lucky, "let's play guitar and make this work great together!" type mood.

Maybe he cries himself to sleep every night or something, but I kinda doubt it.

That's how. He's rejecting the reality that he, or at least we, is/are responsible for the world as it is, and is assigning agency (am I using that right?) to nebulous bullshit in an attempt to affect the poo poo show surrounding him. It's basically faith that something else will save him, and make *everything all right*. That, and frankly, anyone who believes that stuff is either delusional, or stupid, and basically does not see the world that is.
There are times when I wish I could do this. Some days, I think it would be better to be a happy idiot than whatever I am now. Possibly a sad-ish idiot.

That said, one of the things that makes the human race so successful is our ability to either persevere, or simply ignore, adversity. Do you realize that basically the only way that we can cope with the fact that we have the intelligence to know, absolutely KNOW, that we will inevitably die, is to either laugh, or ignore it? Knowing that you will die is the cost of intelligence. A sense of humor and/or absurdity is a defense mechanism.

KozmoNaut posted:

Whoo boy, that's a big one.

War, corporate greed, the environment being systematically hosed over, corruption, poverty, hatred, racism, the list goes on and on.

Closest to home, we currently have our minister for the environment, who has supplied falsified measurement data on the environmental impact of farming and fertilizers etc. to the government, and is known to be deeply involved in various farming lobby organizations, but the prime minister has just re-affirmed his unwavering 100% trust in her ability to be completely objective. The whole government is composed of corrupt corporate pawns and racist bordeline nazi scumbags.

And they got voted in, not in spite these facts, but because of them, as they have successfully convinced large parts of the population that brown people are inherently evil and are coming to take ARE JERBS and ARE WHITE WIMMEN.

It's depressing as gently caress.

Hey! I thought that the USA had a lock on that poo poo? Are you telling me we're not even unique at being asshats?

KozmoNaut posted:

Because they collectively make the world shittier for everyone, including me and everyone I care about.

Being completely powerless to change any of it just makes it even more depressing.

Meanwhile, a small handful of crazy-wealthy fuckers are just sitting at the top of the pile, looking down at everyone and laughing at the peasants bickering among themselves.

Pretty much.
Wasn't there a millionaire who gave a TED talk warning other millionaires that they might want to lay off on that poo poo before there's a revolution and they're the first ones up against the wall? ('Cuz I know that's who I'm aiming for...)

CharlesM posted:

AI needs religion.

AI IS religion.

KozmoNaut posted:

No, I think the problem is that I have no filter.

E: It was a huge step for me to remove all my general news site RSS feeds and cut back to only tech sites and music news. That cut down on the noise a little bit, but it's pretty drat hard to avoid news updates altogether.

I barely watch/read any news, because it generally either depresses me, or ticks me off, and I can't fix any of it.
Here's a good one: I'm a computer janitor, among other things. I know people are stupid, and lazy. I know this as an unshakable fact, and yet, somehow, I still manage to be surprised and dismayed when someone does something stupid. Apparently, I suffer from some sort of weird optimism, bordering on naivete, that most people while make the right choice, contrary to all evidence. I have no ide why my mind does this to me.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I am going to start calling people spoons. This will keep me from ever getting fired.

Tomarse posted:

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Jeherrin posted:

88h88 posted:

Always been a fan of the mildly offensive 'tit' option.

I have really got to remember these. I am completely unimaginative when it comes to cursing and insults (I get angry and can't think, basically). If nothing else, the look of confusion when calling someone in the Colonies a spoon or spanner would be worth it. "Muppet" would just derail them completely.

kastein posted:

I'm personally a fan of buffoon, numpty, goober, muppet, and twit

Not bad.

Ether Frenzy posted:

You can't beat gobshite for a casual insult.

Although "munter" or "div" are pretty good too.

Oooo, there's some good ones.

Jeherrin posted:

Tell me about it. Born in London, now live in Glasgow. I've had a few people take a pretty intense dislike to me within the space of a few words.

Maybe that's just, y'know, you? (Kidding - couldn't resist the opening, there.)

some texas redneck posted:

Up until last week, I always thought Scots and Brits had the same, or at least similar, accent. And thought the accent was similar to an Australian accent.

Then I found myself in a room with a Scot, a Brit, a few Australians, and a Canadian. Add a couple of Danes and a Spaniard to the mix and oh god it got difficult to follow conversations pretty quick.

You, sir, clearly do not watch enough Doctor Who (Brit-coms.) A Scot accent is nothing like an English one, on top of the fact that there are like eleventy-billion "English" accents depending on class and location. I'm pretty confident I can discern not only Aussie from Brit, but Kiwi, too!
Asian accents/languages I have more trouble with. I can tell them apart, but I can never seem to place them correctly.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Jeherrin posted:

I was about to say I was partial to bellend, but that's not quite how I wanted that phrase to come across.

It does come across somewhat awkwardly, but yeah, that's a good one, too.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Got one of those wonderful head colds where it feels like someone dragged an acetone-soaked wire brush through your sinuses, and you want to go to bed at 6pm. I got incredibly tired of chugging water so I have resorted to fresh-squeezed grapefruit juice with a splash of scotch. By god, I think this will cure me.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Got one of those wonderful head colds where it feels like someone dragged an acetone-soaked wire brush through your sinuses, and you want to go to bed at 6pm. I got incredibly tired of chugging water so I have resorted to fresh-squeezed grapefruit juice with a splash of scotch. By god, I think this will cure me.

Yeah, that sums it up perfectly- Changing kitty litter yesterday nearly killed me- absolutely exhausted and sweating like a pedophile at a wiggles concert afterwards.

i got the lovely one this morning of "Oh, that doesnt feel so bad, maybe i'll go to work today" and sat up in bed, only to FEEL all the goo in my sinus' run forward and start drooling out of my nose down my face.

WELP! not coming in today either!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
What's really great is waking up feeling like you have a corpse in your throat every morning and then hacking up a few multicolored loogies the size of car keys.

Or feeling sinus pressure and then blowing your nose and ending up with a couple tablespoons of the same colored goop.

I really need to remember to wear my respirator when doing demolition on moldy squirrel-piss soaked plaster walls...

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

My girl's BFF's BF beat the poo poo outta her last week and now I have to make small talk with him at the bar while the girls chat. Sigh.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Super Aggro Crag posted:

My girl's BFF's BF beat the poo poo outta her last week and now I have to make small talk with him at the bar while the girls chat. Sigh.

Is he bigger than you?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Also, god damnit, I went J-truck (for me) and Grand Wagoneer (for the GF) window shopping on CL and now I want to make some 3 and 4 figure bad decisions. gently caress. I don't have money for this right now.

We went and looked at a Grand Wagoneer that she really liked the look of over the weekend and unfortunately it was simply too rusty to be worth restoring.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Ferremit posted:

i got the lovely one this morning of "Oh, that doesnt feel so bad, maybe i'll go to work today" and sat up in bed, only to FEEL all the goo in my sinus' run forward and start drooling out of my nose down my face.

Hah yeeeeep - except I felt okay and went into work and about halfway through the day I was super regretting it. I'm not sure why I conscientiously hoard sick hours year-round, and when I actually get sick I feel the need to tough it off.

kastein posted:

Or feeling sinus pressure and then blowing your nose and ending up with a couple tablespoons of the same colored goop.

I really need to do this but as long as I can remember I have had a bad aversion to blowing my nose. It needs to be done soon though. My girlfriend swears by neti pots and things like that but they are one of the very, very few things that gross me out.

As my grandfather says, that's all for tonight's episode of Things Not Worth Knowing!

The Royal Nonesuch fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Feb 26, 2016

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Is there a good place to get automotive patches online? I want to buy a British Leyland patch for my kart suit, I got some Agip patches off ebay earlier but they honestly seem cheap as gently caress.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Casually order a longneck and glass the fucker. I can't abide a man who beats his significant other.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Darchangel posted:

You, sir, clearly do not watch enough Doctor Who (Brit-coms.) A Scot accent is nothing like an English one, on top of the fact that there are like eleventy-billion "English" accents depending on class and location. I'm pretty confident I can discern not only Aussie from Brit, but Kiwi, too!
Asian accents/languages I have more trouble with. I can tell them apart, but I can never seem to place them correctly.

Thus far, I've managed to avoid seeing Doctor Who. And, well, most other TV shows.

Liquid Communism posted:

I can't abide a man who beats his significant other.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Liquid Communism posted:

Casually order a longneck and glass the fucker. I can't abide a man who beats his significant other.

I like your style.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Sometimes there is such as 'trainwreck fatigue'.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Even the Titanic quit sinking at some point.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Super Aggro Crag posted:

No, don't do that.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Goober Peas posted:

Even the Titanic quit sinking at some point.

March chat thread title right here.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Well he is roommates with the owner of the bar so that wouldn't work out in my favor. We left already tho. gently caress that.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

kastein posted:

Also, god damnit, I went J-truck (for me) and Grand Wagoneer (for the GF) window shopping on CL and now I want to make some 3 and 4 figure bad decisions. gently caress. I don't have money for this right now.

We went and looked at a Grand Wagoneer that she really liked the look of over the weekend and unfortunately it was simply too rusty to be worth restoring.
Why don't you have a look in the lands of little to no rust? I'm pretty sure nearly every AI goon would go over one with a checklist for you. I know I would.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I knew my current employer had been purchased by a competitor, but I was under the assumption that they wouldn't be fully transitioning until this summer or fall.

Got an email today saying "oh hey we're transitioning this weekend!". Which means my set schedule is now out the window, and it'll be a dog-eat-dog fight to get hours. Just like DoorDash was. :fuckoff: At least I'm still active in DoorDash's system, so I can pick up shifts with them if I need to.

The upside is I won't need to carry commercial insurance anymore; the competitor has a blanket policy that covers everyone as long as they're insured.

• Locked thread