Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Someone's gotta stand up to these pricks.

ok but you're punching the ocean. the only functional thing that changes is that san diego doesn't have a football team anymore, and the world class stadium that owns never gets built.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
You need a car in San Diego. That's my take.

No one take Chinatown seriously.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

chupacabraTERROR posted:

public transportation sucks, i enjoy my rear end being warmed by my cars heated seats when its 60 degrees or lower thank you very much

If it's better funded it can be good though

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
Last time I checked, the chargers are still here and dean lost his idiotic game of brinkmanship. Going to LA a year after the Rams is not a smart move. He's got no more cards to play and everyone knows it. Something will get done in San Diego and it won't be deans first choice.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Someone's gotta stand up to these pricks.

LA did, and we still got a team :smug:

Eventually

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

Ross Angeles posted:

That's the point. What if you didn't?

A:MTS would gently caress it up anyways

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

No owner in the NFL, going all the way down to Mark Davis, should have to touch a penny of public money. Not when the league itself is richer than God.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
people here actually think public money for stadiums is a good idea. wow

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

v2vian man posted:

Well it's either that or lose football for good, right? Let's check with our man Volkerball.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

v2vian man posted:

Public money shouldn't be involved in stadium deals but I'm ok with developers getting lower than standard loans from the municipality or maybe getting an easier EIS than others would.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Zurreco posted:

Public money shouldn't be involved in stadium deals but I'm ok with developers getting lower than standard loans from the municipality or maybe getting an easier EIS than others would.

Why? If the Rams had gotten a loan from St. Louis they'd be in default right now so it's not like the loan is any less risky than any other loan.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I don't care about public money for stadiums as long as it's considered a loan the team pays back over the life of the stadium.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

chupacabraTERROR posted:

If the stadium is so profitable for its owners, why do taxes need to be raised? Businesses small and large undergo expansion all the time by using private financing, why should this be any different? I get that other cities have split the baby but indulge me and tell me, using financial rather than emotional reasons, why a city as broke as San Diego should feel compelled to raise taxes for this?

I'm not going to effort post a balance sheet for you, I'm just going to say some cities will do it. Others won't. Guess what happens to the ones that don't? They don't have a team.

I mean, pick your battles. What you're complaining about is the principle of the matter, not an actual financial hardship.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

Ross Angeles posted:

This. Anybody that lives anywhere with public transit has no idea what southern california is like. Unless you plan for transit from the beginning, it's not happening, there's no room. :(

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Chinatown posted:

I floor it past people waiting at bus stops to remind them of my transportational superiority.

My car is in the shop for the next week and I know that I sure love how my commute went from a 15 minute drive to 50 minutes and now costs as much as a tank of gas.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

kiimo posted:

I'm not going to effort post a balance sheet for you, I'm just going to say some cities will do it. Others won't. Guess what happens to the ones that don't? They don't have a team.

I mean, pick your battles. What you're complaining about is the principle of the matter, not an actual financial hardship.

I agree with your post. Cities that say no to public financing don't have teams. However, other cities who HAVE said yes to public financing also sometimes don't have teams. Look at St. Louis, which is still on the hook for $100m in debt relating to the stadium there. You say that I'm complaining about the "principle" of the matter, rather than a financial hardship. I would say that the issue here IS the financial hardship. There is just not one compelling reason to use public financing other than "well without it you won't have a team". We'll see about that. They're still here for now.

In any case, voters will decide if the stadium is worth their tax dollars. Not all city projects are revenue-generating, but getting shackled with debt by a third party who will do his best to gently caress you over is just bad business IMO.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I just really want San Diego to have nice things but then again it isn't my cash so that's easy to say.

Having the Chargers in a gorgeous downtown stadium and going there to watch Chiefs games that spill out into a full-on margarita extravaganza that ends up in a hotel a few blocks away that I have to pay tourism taxes on sounds like a deal to me though, where do I sign up?

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

I wish it were that easy kiimo :smith:

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

I just want the Chargers to stay in SD because gently caress LA.

Plus the Chargers are cool, and everyone I know from SD is cool.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

DO YALL WANT A HAM posted:

You literally don't understand why people use public transit do you

You literally don't understand that I am being faceitous do you.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Also they can build a new stadium with new taxes after they fix the garbage roads in this city.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Chinatown posted:

Also they can build a new stadium with new taxes after they fix the garbage roads in this city.

Lol

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

I just want the Chargers to stay in SD because gently caress LA.

Plus the Chargers are cool, and everyone I know from SD is cool.

Well there's also the fact that LA doesn't want the Chargers any more than you want them to go there.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

kiimo posted:

I just really want San Diego to have nice things

What does this have to do with the Chargers. :confused:

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I want my neighbors to have nice houses even if I hate their guts.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

v2vian man posted:

as a bengals fan that doesn't live in cincinnati, i

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???
The driving culture's so predominant here that the voices to call for improvements to mass transit ahead of (or as a required side effect to) a downtown stadium are little yips here and there from random facebook posters at the bottom of articles on the union-trib's website.

Door to door from where I live to downtown where I work, it's 20 minutes if I drive. If I used public transit my commute would be 102 minutes. In order to make it to work around 9, I'd have to be up and going by 7:20 instead of 8:40am, and I wouldn't get home until 7:15pm instead of 6pm. When you have kids you like hanging out with before and after work? It's a complete and total non-starter.

Even if they expanded the transit situation to where it took me only 30 minutes each way, I still don't get the privacy, the personal space, the freedom from public transit weirdos, control over the climate, etc. I know this is a very southern California-centric way to view that but because the past is what it is, you're going to have to convince a bunch of people with mindsets exactly like that to convert their way of thinking AND up the density of mass transit such that everybody's commute stays roughly the same or improves. Given the size of the county and how spread out everything is, I don't see that even being possible.

So what I'm saying is continue to let us kill the environment and our shocks on our lovely roads as we have a reason to drive downtown on a sunday eight times a year (lol playoffs)

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

They're putting in a new rail line through Inglewood and the closest stop to the new stadium is still over 2 miles away. That's my post about public transportation

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

When I first moved to Los Angeles a decade ago I was shocked to learn there was no train to take you from Hollywood to the beach.

Then I found out that to build one you'd have to tear up Beverly Hills properties.

There will never be a train from Hollywood to the beach.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

kiimo posted:

When I first moved to Los Angeles a decade ago I was shocked to learn there was no train to take you from Hollywood to the beach.

Then I found out that to build one you'd have to tear up Beverly Hills properties.

When I was in college I interviewed for an internship at LA Metro and I met a guy there who got pulled out of retirement because he ran into his old boss at a funeral to work on, of all things, the 710 extension that will never ever happen

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Just to get it to go through West Hollywood would cost 4.5 billion. They are hoping it will be paid by tax payers.

Now that, San Diego, is a tax hike worth turning down.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
I take the bus when I ditch my car at the bars the night before. Busses remind me of being hungover.

Thats my public transportation experience.

That said I DO enjoy taking public transit in cities that are built with them in mind (NY, London, European cities). But lol no SoCal will never have good public transport given the nature of the size and sprawl.

DreamtShadow
Aug 21, 2010

I'm honestly surprised that new stadiums aren't being built with public transport in mind. Yankees games are amazingly easy to get to because they put a stop right there in front of the stadium.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

DreamtShadow posted:

I'm honestly surprised that new stadiums aren't being built with public transport in mind. Yankees games are amazingly easy to get to because they put a stop right there in front of the stadium.

It's like, the one thing Oakland Coliseum has going for it is that it has it's own BART station.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

DreamtShadow posted:

In metro's defense the Crenshaw line was already well under construction before Kroenke even announced his proposal

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

When I was in college I interviewed for an internship at LA Metro and I met a guy there who got pulled out of retirement because he ran into his old boss at a funeral to work on, of all things, the 710 extension that will never ever happen

I have no idea how much these jobs pay but planning highways has to be awful on the one hand because you're expected to deliver on the impossible, but, also cool because no one ever really expects you to accomplish these things.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Highway planning is all fun and good until Ben Caspere disappears and then somebody kills Stan.

Who would want to kill Stan??

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

kiimo posted:

You'll be able to go from downtown (and passed the Coliseum/USC) to Santa Monica soon. Shame that didn't exist when my girlfriend was still at USC.

I took public transit all the time, because I didn't have a car. It was a 50min bus ride vs 20-30min drive, which wasn't too bad of a trade off when gas/parking fees were included. Took the blue line from downtown Long Beach to downtown LA quite a bit too. Doing that on a daily basis for work would suck though.

Now I ride my bike everywhere. I'll never learn. :v:

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
Yeah, the Expo line will open all the way to 4th & Colorado sometime this year. They re-routed the poors through Culver City so that no station comes within a mile of their precious 90210

Have they announced anything connecting the Inglewood stadium with the Green line? Lol at anyone who wants to walk from Hawthorne / Lennox to the stadium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I bet that area gets cleaned up quite a bit before doors open. Inglewood was on the up before the stadium and this will only help that process.

• Locked thread