Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

What do you do when you fill out a political survey that matches you to a party? Do you accept the results and say, hey guess this is the party for me at the moment, or do you think hmm "I need to change my views to more align with whatever party I've rusted on to".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

EvilElmo posted:

Oh hey its "I lost a vote so now Ill cook my membership".

My memory of it was more "Hey, Young Labor turned out to be creepy and cultish, and also it turns out they don't stand for the same things I do."

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

My memory of it was more "Hey, Young Labor turned out to be creepy and cultish, and also it turns out they don't stand for the same things I do."

Pretty sure EE isn't 'debating' in good faith.

:nws: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/b9/e7/f4/b9e7f458ee9997daa2b96c3ed893f8fe.jpg :nws:

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Labor tragic doesn't understand the difference between voting with a party that has policies you agree with and compromising yourself to win.

Evilelmo, if the Greens represented middle Australia with torturing reffos and crackin down on dole bludgers (which is not actually what middle australia wants, but whatever) do you think any of us would still be voting for them?

I sure as gently caress wouldn't. Just like I stopped voting for labor when they started with this poo poo. You're so tied into this idea of having a party be your identity you can't see how when your party goes to poo poo, most informed voters say "no gently caress that".

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Birdstrike posted:

friendlyjordies'

redundant

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

Young Labor turned out to be creepy and cultish

can confirm

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

whoa :aaaaa:

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I'd like EvilElmo to explain the existence of minor parties like Shooters and Fishers and Family First since as they are not seeking to form government in their own right and vote with the Libs all the loving time they obviously shouldn't exist.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Just one quick touch of the poop...

http://www.alp.org.au/policy_commitments

The ALP don't seem to have a counter terrorism policy.

Wait!

https://d3n8a8pro7vhmx.cloudfront.n....pdf?1455234762

quote:

The challenge of terrorism
93. The growing presence of terrorism in the international arena and here within our borders pose serious and complex security challenges.

94. Labor will support an integrated, comprehensive regional strategy including cooperation with and capacity building for local security forces. To be effective, a strategy against terrorism must promote justice, the rule of law, genuine peace and inclusive development, and confront those factors that make it easier for terrorist organisations to recruit within the region. Australia’s military and security assistance should promote these objectives. Labor will support greater economic, employment and educational opportunities available to young people across the region.

95. Australia needs a properly integrated national security policy, continually reviewed and adapted as required to meet changing security threats. Labor will enhance our national security by:
x Appointing a National Security Adviser;
x Creating a strategic policy framework for national security;
x Operating a National Intelligence and Coordination Committee;
x Improving Australia’s national crisis management arrangements; and
x Preparing new Defence White Papers at intervals of no greater than five years.

96. Labor will ensure our defence forces, security agencies, police and emergency services are always appropriately resourced and given the necessary powers to respond to the security challenges we face as a nation. Labor will work closely with our neighbours, international allies and international institutions to meet the security challenges posed by terrorism.

97. Labor will always work responsibly and constructively to improve our national security laws and to ensure our security agencies and police have the powers they need to meet the changing national security threats we face as a nation. Labor will ensure the powers we confer on our security agencies and police to fight terrorism and other threats to our national security are consistent with the long-standing values and hard-won liberties that help to define Australia as a democratic nation that upholds the freedoms and the privacy of its citizens. Recognising the importance of transparency and accountability measures to safeguard freedoms and privacy, Labor will support the oversight role of entities including:
x The Independent National Security Legislation Monitor;
x The Inspector-General of Intelligence and Security;
x The Commonwealth Ombudsman; and
x The Parliamentary Joint Committee on Intelligence and Security.

98. Labor refuses to manipulate fear, sectarianism or racism for political gain or to compromise the democratic values we are fighting to defend. Australia needs national unity and cohesion to respond to the threat of terrorism. Australia’s counter-terrorism laws and other measures should not divide the Australian community or marginalise any part of it. Australia needs a national approach including engagement with local communities and partnership between Australian
governments to address domestic terrorism.

99. The global nature and reach of various terrorist organisations means Australia will increasingly rely on global intelligence exchange—as well as support—for an expanding range of UN and multilateral measures to combat terrorist financing and outlaw terrorist organisations.

100. Labor will ensure Australia’s cyber security arrangements are able to meet the challenges presented by the electronic environment, which is presenting additional opportunity and vulnerabilities for individuals, business and government, with sophisticated attacks coming from criminal groups and foreign governments.

101. Labor will work with industry to ensure there are sufficient measures in place to reduce the risk of chemicals of security concern.

Well that's clearly a deal breaker! Changed my v.... That amounts to nothing but a bunch of motherhood statements that have been heavily contradicted by ALP actions in parliament. So lets see, Greens who have a sensible and coherent policy on everything covered here, which they stand by or a bunch of turncoat chuckle fucks who would sell your granny for a pack of Winnie Blues? Fucken tough choice!

-/-

Anyway I interrupt our fascination with Counter Terrorism policy to bring you:

:dogbutton:

:australia: WE ARE SO VERY VERY hosed :australia:

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
We argue that consumers with high self-brand connections (SBC) respond to negative brand information as they do to personal failure — they experience a threat to their positive self-view. After viewing negative brand information, high (vs. low) SBC consumers reported lower state self-esteem. Consumers with high SBC also maintained favorable brand evaluations despite negative brand information. However, when they completed an unrelated self-affirmation task, they lowered their brand evaluations the same as low SBC consumers. This finding suggests that high SBC consumers' reluctance to lower brand evaluation might be driven by a motivation to protect the self rather than the brand.

(Hey EE, surprise! You're no different to a superfan of Apple, Justin Bieber, or Sonic the Hedgehog.)

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Also please do not post Bob Day in this thread. He is human filth and the fact that he is South Australian pisses me off immensely.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
The biggest policy issue in Australia today: counter terrorism.

Then again we are 10-15 years behind the rest of the world so makes sense we're pushing through our lovely regressive security laws now.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Cartoon posted:

Oh, fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu-

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
"Asian arms race our greatest threat"

BETTER GET A HEAD START IN THAT CASE!

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

I'm the T-34

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
what would people even invade us for, nobody wants coal anymore and lng is about to tank

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Cartoon posted:

Striker Eureka can't hold a gun properly

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Jumpingmanjim posted:

I'm the T-34

I'm the googly-eye battleship

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Cartoon posted:

Anyway I interrupt our fascination with Counter Terrorism policy to bring you:

:shittypop: jeez, that is really gross

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

What's current defense spending?

And it's only going to be used to deal with boat people.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Anidav posted:

lmao so the ALP, facing an election defeat shrugs its shoulders and figures it might as well go down with a fight then suddenly springs to life as they slap Turnbull with a policy and notice he is bleeding massive amounts of political capital and public face.

The public has thought negative gearing is unfair for years. I'm surprised it took the major parties this long to announce policy on it.

It's actually kind of heartening, seeing the public react to actual policy. Goes to show that a lot of the problem is dysfunction in the political class, not just public ignorance.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I'd have thought "not being Labour" and "not being the Liberals" would be reason enough to vote for the Greens.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Hey Indonesia we are good friends right?
*shits out Japanese made subs and drones for the hell of it*

Also I enjoyed cooking my membership. A membership to a party that tiptoes to the right and elects a plank of wood into leadership deserves nothing but fire.

Why waste your time playing tugOwar endlessly with the right faction to make the ALP more progressive when there's already progressive options out there.

A lot of ALP members hate the Greens for stealing "ALP votes" but when it comes down to it those people are bitter that they couldn't make the ALP a progressive party in time for the election cycle. The ALP fails the progressive test almost every time at a federal level, if anything you should be thankful for the Greens because they provided a benchmark in policy areas that the ALP is lacking. No doubt that the ALPs negative gearing policy was inspired by where the Greens Policy is now. In the Gillard Government, Wayne Swan always publicly opposed touching negative gearing. Now in opposition, the centralist blob that is the ALP stretches a tentacle to a progressive policy that also happens to meet the Greens halfway.

However this makes the ALP shapeless which is why voters don't quite trust them on most issues.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
If this were a 4x strategy game, Indonesia would be hosed and we'd probably be getting premptive war declarations in March.

Since it's not, the people getting hosed are us and completely innocent refugees. Hooray.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Amoeba102 posted:

What's current defense spending?

And it's only going to be used to deal with boat people.
31.8 Billion or 1.9% of GDP

http://www.news.com.au/finance/econ...bc299e5cd696698

And yes it will either be used to stop boats or fluff US interests (some unavoidable local pork barrelling not withstanding).

Just while we're on the subject remember the 'Canoe' comment? In what sane world would this prompt a senior public figure to go overseas for defence material procurement? Surely you would pull out all stops to fix the problems and improve Australia's industrial capacity and capabilities. Why isn't ~this~ the narrative. I could understand going overseas for hull fabrication on a cost basis but everything else is expertise needed here in Australia to maintain the fleet during operations. We really are loving dozy.

:catstare:

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/the-police-are-bowing-cunneen-phone-taps-shed-light-on-crime-commission-decision-20160225-gn3ryi.html

quote:

'The police are bowing': Cunneen phone taps shed light on crime commission decision February 26, 2016 - 12:15AM Kate McClymont and Sean Nicholls

New details of secret phone taps involving Crown Prosecutor Margaret Cunneen, SC, have shed fresh light on why the Australian Crime Commission sent them to the NSW corruption watchdog for investigation instead of the police.

The recordings show that police attending a car accident involving Ms Cunneen's son's girlfriend, Sophia Tilley – that sparked a corruption investigation – were said to be "bowing" to the prosecutor when she arrived at the scene. On the night of the ill-fated car accident, the crime commission was monitoring the phone of tow truck driver Ben de Jonk, who had responded to a call about an accident near the Bridgeview Hotel in Willoughby. Mr de Jonk phoned his friend smash repairer George Kharadjian to excitedly inform him that the car of "the Commissioner" was involved in the accident. He was referring to Mr Kharadjian's drinking buddy Ms Cunneen. "The police are bowing," said Mr de Jonk. "Coppers are looking at me like 'How do you know this person?' " he told his friend.

Fairfax Media understands that the crime commission decided to bypass the NSW police because of Ms Cunneen's wide-ranging professional associations and friendships with many of the state's top brass due to her role prosecuting some of the state's most serious offenders. There was also the fact that she was close friends with gambling identity Steve Fletcher, who allegedly used a string of serving NSW police officers to hide his gambling activities. There is no suggestion Ms Cunneen knew anything of these activities. In November 2014, the Police Integrity Commission referred evidence to prosecutors to consider whether there was enough evidence to criminally charge Mr Fletcher for fraud over his use of the identities of a string of NSW police officers to open betting accounts. The accounts were used to hide Mr Fletcher's betting activities after he was banned by internet betting agencies. Criminal charges were also recommended against former homicide detective Tony "Soup" Williams, who is understood to have met Mr Fletcher through Ms Cunneen.

Fairfax Media has previously revealed that while a detective Mr Williams, Mr Fletcher and Ms Cunneen's son, Steve Wyllie, travelled to Las Vegas together to celebrate Mr Wyllie's 21st birthday. The crime commission will be asked to front a parliamentary inquiry on March 14 to explain why it sent the phone taps to the Independent Commission Against Corruption for investigation instead of police.

ICAC began investigating allegations that Ms Cunneen advised Ms Tilley, who had consumed alcohol, to fake chest pains to delay a blood alcohol test. But it was forced to abandon its investigation after the High Court ruled it was beyond the agency's jurisdiction. The NSW Solicitor-General later advised no prosecution should be launched. The phone tap material was tabled in response to a report highly critical of ICAC's pursuit of Ms Cunneen by its inspector David Levine. Fairfax Media has previously revealed excerpts of two conversations caught on tape by the crime commission showing Ms Cunneen told Mr de Jonk she had sent a message to Ms Tilley to "start having chest pains" to avoid a breath test at the scene of the accident. Ms Tilley, a P-plate driver, was not allowed to drive with any alcohol in her system. In the second intercepted call, Ms Cunneen told Mr de Jonk that the "chest pains" had "bought her a few more hours". Ms Tilley returned a zero blood alcohol reading when eventually tested at the hospital.

Trial by media isn't OK. Unfortunately "The NSW Solicitor-General later advised no prosecution should be launched." That really only leaves ICAC or a resignation.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

quote:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-02-25/seasonal-farm-workers-receiving-as-little-as-$9-a-week/7196844
Seasonal farm workers receiving less than $10 a week after deductions, investigation reveals
A group of Pacific islanders are being paid less than $10 a week after deductions to pick fruit and vegetables on Australian farms by a company that sponsored their visas under a federally-run worker program.

The workers came to Australia in January as part of the Department of Employment's Seasonal Worker Program.

The group of 20 from Fiji, and others from Tonga, were taken to the caravan park in Merrigum, in the food bowl district of northern Victoria.

Most of the workers are taken by bus every morning to nearby tomato and apple farms.

They are here on 416 visas after signing contracts with AFS Contracting Pty Ltd, based in Shepparton.

Isikeli Fifita, one of the workers from Tonga, said after deductions — which included super, rent, health insurance, tax and transport — his total net pay was $9.96 for one week.

"I feel sad because there's no money to send to my family in Tonga," Mr Fifita said.

Petero Kanawabu said he expected long hours and hard work when he signed on to come to Australia under the program.

But said he, and many others in his group from Fiji, had been shocked by their payslips.

"I thought that we would come here and do a job, maybe save some money," Mr Kanawabu said.

"Even my mum cried when I told her my first payslip. I don't know what to do now."

Workers thought they would earn hundreds a week

The Fijian workers signed the agreements back home, through the Government-run National Employment Centre.

The contracts prominently mention workers can expect to earn an average of $657 per week paid on the hourly wage.

Alternatively, the contract states an average worker can expect to earn a minimum of $595 per week if they work on the so-called piece rate, paid by the number of bins they fill with pieces of produce.

"Back home in Fiji, most of the people, even the National Employment Centre themselves, they were not sure of what was in the contract," said Merewairita Sovasiga, a worker who has emerged as a group leader.

She said the Fijians were never allowed to choose which rate they wanted to work under.

After the first week of work on the piece rate, Ms Sovasiga was shocked at her low pay.

Her payslip shows total pay of $295.80 for the week. That is before deductions for super, accommodation, daily transport to the farm and back, health insurance, and tax.

After those deductions, her net pay for that week was $58.80.
Three workers paying $120 a week each for a caravan

The Fijians were particularly upset by how much they were being charged for rent: $120 each per week.

Some, like Sia Davis, were wedged three to a basic caravan.

"There's actually like three people here, and we're paying $120," she said.

"It's small, and it's not comfortable."

Most of the seasonal workers came to Australia with the intention of sending money home to their families.

But for Vasiti Savunicava, from Fiji, things are so bad her husband has had to send her money to buy food, and pay back an advance of $150 she received to buy basics when she arrived.

"My hope, when I came here, was to earn much to send money back to my family," she said.

"Instead of that, they sending money for me. So they're looking after me again."
Ombudsman investigating complaints

Fed up with the pay and conditions, the Fijians contacted both the Seasonal Workers Program in the Department of Employment, and the Fair Work Ombudsman.

The Ombudsman's office told 7.30 it was investigating the workers' complaint.

The owner of their employer, AFS Contracting, is Shepparton businessman Tony Yamankol.

After inspections by the Department of Employment and Fair Work Ombudsman the week of February 8, Mr Yamonkol visited workers at the Merrigum caravan park.

The workers said he singled out five so-called ringleaders. They recorded him telling them that they should leave on their own accord, or they would never work in Australia again.

"You want to go back on your own will, or you want to get terminated?" he is heard saying.

"If I terminate you will not come back into Australia with any other employer with this program."

Mr Yamankol declined 7.30's request for an interview to address the workers' complaints and also declined to respond to a series of questions submitted to him by email.

Ms Sovasiga has now left the caravan park.

She is staying over an hour away with Fijian-Australian Sakiuasa Lesuma, the founder of a Facebook forum which has become a key source of information for Pacific Islanders looking to pick produce in Australia and New Zealand.

Mr Lesuma is warning the forum's 45,000 members about potential pitfalls in the Seasonal Worker Program, starting with the fact that under their visas, seasonal workers are bound to the contractor that sponsors them.

"If you tell them to and go work for somebody else, in order to get some money they can send home, the contracts say they can't do it," he said.

"When I think about it, it's pure exploitation. It's not right. Not right."
Government will not tolerate 'exploitation' of seasonal workers

About 4,000 Pacific Islanders a year come to do seasonal work on Australians farms, and the Government is expanding the program.

Employment Minister Michaelia Cash told 7.30 the "Government would not tolerate the exploitation of vulnerable foreign workers".

The National Farmers Federation (NFF) said it was very aware of the damage these stories can do to the Seasonal Worker Program's reputation.

"It's very hard to find workers in the first place," said NFF general manager Sarah McKinnon.

"When you have concerns about how people are being treated on Australian farms circulating in the media and social media, that makes it even harder for all the good hardworking farmers to find the workers they need."

The Fijians said last week Mr Yamankol asked them to sign a separate piece work agreement — something the Australian Workers Union said he should have done in the first place.

Of the 20 Fijians who arrived on Seasonal Workers visas in January, 13 refused to sign and have now left the caravan park and quit working for AFS.

Some are staying with Fijian-Australians; others have relocated to another less expensive accommodation.

They have three months left on their seasonal worker visas.

For most, that seems like long time.

"For me, I wish I was back home," Sia Davis said.

"I wouldn't have come. I didn't think it would be like this."

Talk about unpredictable.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Is this something we're supposed to be pleased about? Looks like something from fascist Italy

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

open24hours posted:

Talk about unpredictable.

It's pretty crazy how easy it seems to get away with insane worker abuse.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Should have a royal commission into the unions' failure to protect them.

Firetrick
Aug 4, 2006

Amethyst posted:

It's pretty crazy how easy it seems to get away with insane worker abuse.

A lot of it comes down to those deductions. My flatmate was investigating fruit picking last year as part of extending her working holiday visa, which is the kind of person they often target. Everything was massively overpriced because people would do 3 months work to satisfy the extension requirement, even if it meant zero savings. They massively overestimate your ability to pick baskets of fruit too so the earnings estimate is usually way too high.

$120/week for a third of a caravan is insane, the daily bus ride 5 mins to the farm with be something like $20 a day too. This is how the agency makes its cut. You basically have no option to live anywhere else nearby and would need your own car to get to/from the farm.

Doing it to people who willing sacrifice their time for a visa extension is bad enough, but to trick a bunch of foreign workers specifically for the program just plain cruel.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Via reddit:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Rural communities complain about the lack of jobs.
Agricultural industries use work visa scams instead of township population
Mining companies import experts from overseas.
They vote National and the community stagnates.

Such a poo poo situation.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Firetrick posted:

A lot of it comes down to those deductions. My flatmate was investigating fruit picking last year as part of extending her working holiday visa, which is the kind of person they often target. Everything was massively overpriced because people would do 3 months work to satisfy the extension requirement, even if it meant zero savings. They massively overestimate your ability to pick baskets of fruit too so the earnings estimate is usually way too high.

$120/week for a third of a caravan is insane, the daily bus ride 5 mins to the farm with be something like $20 a day too. This is how the agency makes its cut. You basically have no option to live anywhere else nearby and would need your own car to get to/from the farm.

Doing it to people who willing sacrifice their time for a visa extension is bad enough, but to trick a bunch of foreign workers specifically for the program just plain cruel.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/job-snobs-aussie-dole-bludgers-too-lazy-to-pick-up-250-a-day-picking-fruit/news-story/

quote:

Job snobs: Aussie dole bludgers too lazy to pick up $250 a day picking fruit January 14, 2015 8:39am EXCLUSIVE Andrew Carswell and Peter Michael The Daily Telegraph

Across the state’s Riverina, the food bowl of NSW, the need for unskilled workers continues undiminished.

YOUNG, jobless Aussies are lazy and unwilling to break their welfare dependence, ­according to leading wine producers and citrus growers who are becoming ever more reliant on backpackers to stay in operation. Despite an urgent need for unskilled workers, regional Australia is struggling to ­attract young people from the city despite youth unemployment in Western Sydney peaking at 17 per cent, forcing growers in the nation’s food bowls to look overseas. Wine growers in the Hunter Valley who still rely heavily on fruit pickers, claim there has been no interest from ­unemployed youth in Sydney to earn easy cash — up to $250 a day — picking grapes, as the region prepares for today’s official start of the 2015 harvest.

So it is backpackers or bust, with several operators claiming without the injection of foreign workers, many wine producers in the Hunter Valley would cease to exist. The Hunter Valley vineyards are a great place to make some money.
‘‘We would probably be stuffed without them. The problem is, our unemployed don’t have to work, it’s too easy for them, plus a lot of them come with baggage; real problems,’’ winemaker and former chairman of the Hunter Valley Wine Industry Association’s viticulture committee Ken Bray said. ‘‘They are too reliant on welfare and don’t want to go where the jobs are.’’ While most of Drayton Wines grapes are picked by a mechanical harvester, manager John Drayton said the winery still uses backpackers to pick from older vines. He, like Andrew Pengilly from Tyrrells Wines, rarely gets ­interest from locals or those struggling to find work two hours away in Sydney.

Wine growers in the Hunter Valley who still rely heavily on fruit pickers, claim there has been no interest from ­unemployed youth in Sydney ‘‘Should unemployed youth be coming up here to pick? Well, I’m a bit old school. Yes of course. A lot of people are saying that up here,’’ Mr Drayton said. ‘‘But that is the feeling about the whole society. People are ­unwilling to work.” Across the state’s Riverina, the food bowl of NSW, the need for unskilled workers continues undiminished, despite it qualifying for the Howard government initiative to give foreigners an ­extension to their working visa if they work three months in rural Australia. While the need for workers grows, the appeal for ­unemployed city residents appears non-existent. ‘‘There are definitely a lot of opportunities in rural Australia, but it seems people think the change would be too stressful. We don’t have fast food joints open 24 hours a day, or big shopping centres,’’ Griffith orange grower Vito Mancini said.

Redbelly Citrus director Vito Mancini urges people to try frutipicking out and see what it’s like. ‘‘Just come out for a month, try it out. Don’t say there is no work about, because there is plenty.’’ Fellow Griffith farmer David Dissegna said: ‘‘The unemployed don’t want to do this kind of work. We would be in dire straits without foreign workers.’’ Fruit growers are not the only business owners lobbying the government to relax 417 visa restrictions, ahead of the tabling of the Northern Australia Development whitepaper next month. In regional Queensland backpackers are keeping towns afloat. ‘‘We’ll give a job to anyone who’ll pull on a pair of work boots and have a go,’’ McKinley roadhouse owner Aidan Day, 65, said. The number of working holiday visas has grown by a third since 2008 and visas for 18-to-30-year-olds are being fast-tracked to 48 hours.

BACKPACKERS UP FOR HARD WORK IN OZ Ben McClellan

IN Germany Denny Spaeth sits ­behind a desk working in a car manufacturing plant, but in ­Australia he is a man of the land, driving a forklift and heaving ­pumpkins out of the ground. Mr Spaeth and girlfriend Jennifer Herde, a kindergarten teacher, are among the flood of European backpackers who earn travelling money working as fruitpickers. They are not afraid of a hard day’s work. The couple arrived in Australia in August and worked for two months in Ayr, near Townsville, picking pumpkins, watermelons and squash. Mr Spaeth was able to earn $23 an hour driving a forklift. The couple will spend the next month pricking grapes in the ­Hunter Valley. Mr Spaeth said they had loved their time Down Under and working on farms was hard but satisfying work. “It’s life experience. You learn a lot about yourself and it would not be bad for young people,” he said.

Job Slavery snobs :jerkbag:

Vahtooch
Sep 18, 2009

What is this [S T A N D] going to do? Once its crossed through the barrier, what's it going to do? When it comes in here, and reads my [P O S T S], what's it going to do to me?

So I'm from griffith, and get into an argument with my dad about this sort of bullshit every other time I go home. One of the big problems though, is that even on a good year fruit is worth barely enough to cover your costs, let alone make money. The thought of paying people more to pick is just so inimical to all these farmers they just can't even see it. I mean, this doesn't make it right, but the crack down really needs to come from above, as when you're in the system and rely on it, no way you would willingly change.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

It's important to keep wages high so farmers have an incentive to automate, which is the only way mainstream Australian agriculture can hope to compete.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Mal Broo Bro Brow Braw Broff Bra Bruff isn't contesting the next election.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Why do we even still have a fruit picking industry if it relies on slave wages in order to survive? gently caress why do most industries exist in this country except for service when we can be relentlessly undercut by offshore workers.

It's almost like you need some kind of, I don't know, price raising mechanism on foreign imports in order for local businesses to remain competitive. No, that can't be, clearly more free trade will fix this instead. *signs tpp*

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Forgive my tardiness on this topic but where does this thread stand RE: chaining Paul Sheehan to a railway sleeper and dropping him into a dam

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

There's more money to be made selling Australian grain and beef and dairy etc overseas than there is in protecting fruit growers. Australia is a competitive and efficient agricultural producer compared to most countries, just not in picking fruit by hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Forgive my tardiness on this topic but where does this thread stand RE: chaining Paul Sheehan to a railway sleeper and dropping him into a dam

Bad for the water supply/environment. Toxic waste needs to be disposed of properly if it can't be treated.

• Locked thread