Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Epic High Five posted:

Well for it to be a post-fact world I would argue that you'd have to accept the FACT that that is the case, thus meaning it could not possibly be the case unless it was only ever explicitly denied, which you did not do. I REST MY CASE

:hf:

May I recommend an obscure hippie pro-Spanish-traitor author's thoughts on the survival value of holding two contradictory thoughts simultaneously? It might be a useful skill in TYOOT 2017 001. (1 Anno Trumpi?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Xae posted:

The total number of Latino votes was ~150, out of 75,000 votes cast.

Or .02% of voters in the Republican Caucuses were Latino.

Nevada is 26% Latino.

Yeah, he got 44% or so of those 150, so considerably less than 1%

It's funny because there IS a story there (Trump steals hispanic vote away from Rubio, Cruz) that ignores the raw numbers but is still interesting, but the line has been "Trump wins hispanic vote in NV!" which is so far from the truth it hurts. NV GOP turnout was 86% white and it was a festival of all cultures compared to SC

Demographic problems like whoaaaaaaa

GreyjoyBastard posted:

May I recommend an obscure hippie pro-Spanish-traitor author's thoughts on the survival value of holding two contradictory thoughts simultaneously? It might be a useful skill in TYOOT 2017 001. (1 Anno Trumpi?)

Only if he's also a bluegrass singer

Wouldn't this be TYOOT 0 though, since his coronation is scheduled for next year and we need a 0 for things to make sense?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
It's not important yet, though. Well, not very important. There is still time before the coronation, to repent your ways.

Although I do seem to have missed the opportunity to make a Pol Pot Year Zero joke, dang.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Guys... guys... the Republican Task Force to develop a plan to replace Obamacare... published a mission statement!!!

quote:

Mission Statement: To modernize American health care with patient-centered solutions that improve access, choice, and quality, lower costs, promote innovation, and strengthen the safety net for the most vulnerable.

Obamacare is proof that putting the government at the center of our health care system harms patients, families, providers, and businesses. This is why we need to replace Obamacare’s obsolete, one-size-fits-all approach with innovative, market-based, patient-centered solutions.

To achieve the best outcomes and get results for the American people, this task force will follow key principles of patient-centered health care:

Empower every American with the ability to gain access to coverage that is affordable and portable.
Provide Americans with more choices, not mandates, so they have the freedom to pick plans and providers that best fit their unique health care needs.
Protect the quality of care for all patients – including those with pre-existing conditions.
Promote innovation to improve competition, harness the power of new technologies, lower prices, and foster better cures and treatments for patients.
Save Medicare and Medicaid to strengthen health care security for seniors and America’s most vulnerable.

To that end, the Chairmen of the House Ways & Means Committee, Energy & Commerce Committee, Education & the Workforce Committee, and Budget Committee are focused on building consensus around specific health care policies that reflect these principles and will hold hearings to advance real patient-centered reforms, including:

Innovations in employer-provided health care coverage
Health tax expenditures
Reforming broken insurance markets
Increasing state flexibility and sustainability in the Medicaid program
Saving and strengthening Medicare

That replacement plan is riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight around the corner. I can almost smell it.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Joementum posted:

Guys... guys... the Republican Task Force to develop a plan to replace Obamacare... published a mission statement!!!

That replacement plan is riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight around the corner. I can almost smell it.

Oh my god that's the most "oh god the brass are starting to wonder what we do all day, time to say something in business speak that looks like we are worth keeping around" committee-created statement ever

It's also basically "Obamacare minus the mandate (maybe)"

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
poo poo like this is why Trump would beat Hillary.
http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_56cf5c95e4b03260bf75fcbd

He's going to swing fiscally left for the general with his xenophobic, racist rhetoric and republican and disaffected liberals are going to support it.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Joementum posted:

Half the posters in this thread could poo poo out a policy paper with more depth than that in 30 minutes.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

gohmak posted:

He's going to swing fiscally left for the general with his xenophobic, racist rhetoric and republican and disaffected liberals are going to support it.

He's already come out with policies that hugely benefit the rich though. Is he just going to pretend those don't exist and come out with a new platform?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

gohmak posted:

Trump thinking the Reagan tax cuts were a disaster is wonderful, but how's it supposed to appeal to Dems? His own tax plan is virtually identical, and anything he may propose to the left of where he's at currently will still pale in comparison to what we'd get from either Hillary or Sanders.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

theblackw0lf posted:

He's already come out with policies that hugely benefit the rich though. Is he just going to pretend those don't exist and come out with a new platform?

Have you not been paying attention? That's like literally the exact thing he's done countless times and he's only gone up in the polls.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Telephones posted:

People don't read it as that though. The amazing thing about Trump is that people can pick and choose what they like about him and brush the other stuff off as a joke. He's such an incredible salesman - people feel comfortable around him no matter what he says. I forget the exact number, but Trump got a huge number of Latino votes in the Nevada primary so don't be so sure.

Trump has stirred up one hell of a mob and I think people underestimate its potential for growth.

I think the most amazing thing about Trump is how it's patently obvious that he has no actual concrete political platform (ie the advisors he'd choose, how he'd actually accomplish anything he'd want to do, anything more substantial than "build a wall on the Mexican border" or "have a Muslim database" sensationalist flavor-of-the-minute bullshit, etc) that others like Romney would be heavily scrutinized for, and yet nobody seems to care.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

theblackw0lf posted:

Yes. It doesn't matter what he says. He could literally change positions in the span of ten minutes in the same interview. People hear and see what they want. I think he could easily sway even Hispanic and Muslim voters with a few choice soundbites.

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

I think the most amazing thing about Trump is how it's patently obvious that he has no actual concrete political platform (ie the advisors he'd choose, how he'd actually accomplish anything he'd want to do, anything more substantial than "build a wall on the Mexican border" or "have a Muslim database" sensationalist flavor-of-the-minute bullshit, etc) that others like Romney would be heavily scrutinized for, and yet nobody seems to care.

He is proof that policy hasn't mattered to the electorate in years. It's all personality. Trump cracks a few jokes, says something brash, and he's up twenty points.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Like computer parts said, they already vote. If anything, I think you'd see an even larger effect on the Democrat turnout, especially from Latino voters in this particular example. I hesitate to act like Latinos are a monolithic bloc, but I'm pretty sure "all Mexicans are rapists" is going to only sway them in one direction.

Hey, some of them are good people! He's sure!

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Hey, some of them are good people! He's sure!

I thought he only assumed some are good people. Obviously, he can't be certain some are good people.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Nichael posted:

Yes. It doesn't matter what he says. He could literally change positions in the span of ten minutes in the same interview. People hear and see what they want. I think he could easily sway even Hispanic and Muslim voters with a few choice soundbites.

He is proof that policy hasn't mattered to the electorate in years. It's all personality. Trump cracks a few jokes, says something brash, and he's up twenty points.

This is the most terrifying / gently caress it, ia ia Trump ftagn thing to me. The conventional rules don't apply. Policy doesn't matter.

I want to see him in the general election, because either we will have an amazing election that he loses, or we deserve exactly what we get.

(Sorry, minorities.)

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
The fact that Trump is all style and no substance and yet is so popular and compelling as to be in the running for President of the United States and Leader of the Free World is terrifying to me. We are closer to the Idiocracy reality now than ever before. This speaks volumes about America as it exists in 2016.

E: You don't even need a convincing conspiracy theory like International Jewry anymore. You just need soothing enough pablum and word salad.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Feb 26, 2016

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

A Winner is Jew posted:

Have you not been paying attention? That's like literally the exact thing he's done countless times and he's only gone up in the polls.

The orange, clown man won't win a thing. He is just a joke right? Can't win a drat thing? What is that? He won 3 of the 4 first caucus/primary? Well the orange, clown man can not win the general. He is a joke right?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
To me, he's been so successful because he makes the office of the president sound so simple and straightforward, like you can just say "build that wall!" and it will happen on its own. A lot of people clearly want to hear that.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Mr Hootington posted:

The orange, clown man won't win a thing. He is just a joke right? Can't win a drat thing? What is that? He won 3 of the 4 first caucus/primary? Well the orange, clown man can not win the general. He is a joke right?
An actor? As PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES? What a joke!

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
What has this forum done to me?
Joementum, what have you done to me??

I've been in DC for work for the last week or so and where do I go for dinner on my last night here before I fly home tomorrow?

It's a sickness.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Samurai Sanders posted:

To me, he's been so successful because he makes the office of the president sound so simple and straightforward, like you can just say "build that wall!" and it will happen on its own. A lot of people clearly want to hear that.

Technically he will be able to because Congress cannot and will not oppose the leader of their party. If he sends over draft legislation it will rocket through the process as fast as the USA PATRIOT Act. Gridlock is only a thing with Democratic Presidents and a Republican legislature.

FilthyImp posted:

An actor? As PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES? What a joke!

Then who's vice president? Jerry Lewis?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Mulva posted:

Technically he will be able to because Congress cannot and will not oppose the leader of their party. If he sends over draft legislation it will rocket through the process as fast as the USA PATRIOT Act. Gridlock is only a thing with Democratic Presidents and a Republican legislature.
How about the "Mexico will pay for it" part?

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Stultus Maximus posted:

I've been in DC for work for the last week or so and where do I go for dinner on my last night here before I fly home tomorrow?

It's a sickness.

I went there when I was in DC last August! It's good, but it's about as authentically Mexican as you'd expect a place frequented by Tea Partiers to be.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Stultus Maximus posted:

It's a sickness.

Order a side of sensible fiscal policy and balanced budgets.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Stultus Maximus posted:

It's a sickness.

How was the food and did you see any Congress critters?

Yeah reading the post all today at the amazement of Trump and reactions to that Taibbi article is just intoxicating. It really shows the bubble that the D&D posters are in when Trump succeeding has blindsided them. The "lol Taibbi showing the press what is up" as the main takeaway from his article is just amazing.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Mr Hootington posted:

How was the food and did you see any Congress critters?

I lived in San Diego for 5 years so I'll just say it's as good as you could expect from a Mexican place in DC called "Tortilla Coast."

I did not see any there, but on the walk back to my hotel I passed the Capitol Hill Club and a bunch of pasty old men who looked like reanimated corpses were shambling out so I think they were Congressmen.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Stultus Maximus posted:

I lived in San Diego for 5 years so I'll just say it's as good as you could expect from a Mexican place in DC called "Tortilla Coast."

I did not see any there, but on the walk back to my hotel I passed the Capitol Hill Club and a bunch of pasty old men who looked like reanimated corpses were shambling out so I think they were Congressmen.

Too bad you didn't see Ted Poe or Jody Hice.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Samurai Sanders posted:

Ummm a lot of people believe that.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
This is a story for Fried Chicken in particular, but also Generically US Pol related:

My wife works for Everytown as a lobbyist. She was in Indianapolis this week to meet with her local contacts and do general Lobbying Stuff, which in this case included lunch with resident lunatic Jim Lucas and Lloyd Arnold.

After what she said was a pretty civil and measured conversation about both of their respective agendae (he will introduce permitless carry everywhere bills until one passes or he dies), they parted ways to do other stuff.

My wife and her team went for a steak dinner, quelle surprise, with their team that evening and some other legislators, when Jim Lucas coincidentally shows up at the bar, recognizes her and her other young attractive teammate and comes over to chat. He says he's never actually been spoken with about his issue from the ostensible "opposition" in a way that made him interested in helping with "their" legislative proposals (background checks, etc.), and to kind of drive home HIS particular agenda, pulled aside his sportcoat to sorta flash his concealed piece around. Wife comments on the gun's grips, gets a long story about an inherited piece of ivory that a friend carved for them, and she says she thinks they're a work of art.

At which point he unloads his gun at the table and gives her a nice 50 cal JHP from what has to be the dick-replacinest, hand-blowoffinest clamshell pistol in the history of the universe.

Her coworker says "Me too??" and he gives her a bullet as well! And then, not loving kidding, removes a third bullet and makes his exit saying, "Actually, have another one. Give this one to Mike (bloomberg) for me."

Gunshow Poophole fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Feb 26, 2016

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Where's the debate thread?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Mr Interweb posted:

Where's the debate thread?

The Bad Subsubforum.

Well, I mean, it's okay sometimes. It's not NuGBS, or the incomprehensible maw of madness that has always been and will always be FYAD.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

NYT article on the latest mass shooting.

quote:

As many as six people may have been killed at a manufacturing plant in Kansas on Thursday by a man who drove through at least two towns shooting a gun out his car window, the police said.

He said that four to seven people, including the gunman, had been killed and that as many as 30 more were injured. The gunman was killed by law enforcement officers at the scene, he said.

“I got a phone call saying they got put on lockdown because some random guy came in with an AK-47 and started shooting,” Nicole Goodwin, the wife of a factory supervisor, told the local ABC affiliate.

At the risk of starting gunchat, where do people even get AK-47s in the US?

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Prepare yourselves sheeple, because you're about to be WOKE AF!

The reason people are being cagey about Scalia's death circumstances is he was on a hunting trip as part of a secret society of hunters.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...id=ss_fb-bottom

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

VikingofRock posted:

this is also in wife's region :smith: the midwest has been busy this week

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

RevKrule posted:

Prepare yourselves sheeple, because you're about to be WOKE AF!

The reason people are being cagey about Scalia's death circumstances is he was on a hunting trip as part of a secret society of hunters.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...id=ss_fb-bottom

The Anti-Masonic Party was right!

Wirt for President!

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

VikingofRock posted:

If you can't buy one at a gun show I bet you can buy one in the parking lot outside the gun show.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

GreyjoyBastard posted:

The Anti-Masonic Party was right!

Wirt for President!

Wirt's Leg for VP!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

silvergoose posted:

Wirt's Leg for VP!

Beats his actual vp nom!

(God bless SA and god bless the SA Decides thread, one of the best in the forums and easily the best in YCS.)

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

whitey delenda est posted:

This is a story for Fried Chicken in particular, but also Generically US Pol related:

My wife works for Everytown as a lobbyist. She was in Indianapolis this week to meet with her local contacts and do general Lobbying Stuff, which in this case included lunch with resident lunatic Jim Lucas and Lloyd Arnold.

After what she said was a pretty civil and measured conversation about both of their respective agendae (he will introduce permitless carry everywhere bills until one passes or he dies), they parted ways to do other stuff.

My wife and her team went for a steak dinner, quelle surprise, with their team that evening and some other legislators, when Jim Lucas coincidentally shows up at the bar, recognizes her and her other young attractive teammate and comes over to chat. He says he's never actually been spoken with about his issue from the ostensible "opposition" in a way that made him interested in helping with "their" legislative proposals (background checks, etc.), and to kind of drive home HIS particular agenda, pulled aside his sportcoat to sorta flash his concealed piece around. Wife comments on the gun's grips, gets a long story about an inherited piece of ivory that a friend carved for them, and she says she thinks they're a work of art.

At which point he unloads his gun at the table and gives her a nice 50 cal JHP from what has to be the dick-replacinest, hand-blowoffinest clamshell pistol in the history of the universe.

Her coworker says "Me too??" and he gives her a bullet as well! And then, not loving kidding, removes a third bullet and makes his exit saying, "Actually, have another one. Give this one to Mike (bloomberg) for me."

Wait, a .50 carry gun? Christ, it's either a stupidly massive pistol or he's carrying some weird niche piece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

whitey delenda est posted:

I hate this dumb state and I hate the fact that the only reason we aren't Kansas is because of Lily and a few other big companies stopping Pence from burning the gays in a bonfire

• Locked thread