Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Something I've noticed is that if I'm in a situation where the http to the forums is blocked (generally a Wi-Fi hotspot), I can browse the forums via the awful app butt images won't load. Is there a difference in how the app retrieves text vs images?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Pope Guilty posted:

Something I've noticed is that if I'm in a situation where the http to the forums is blocked (generally a Wi-Fi hotspot), I can browse the forums via the awful app butt images won't load. Is there a difference in how the app retrieves text vs images?
It's probably an HTTPS vs. HTTP thing.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014
In the latest version on a Droid 4 running 4.1.2 I crash any time a thread list is brought up, either by going to bookmarks or any subforum

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Saraiguma posted:

In the latest version on a Droid 4 running 4.1.2 I crash any time a thread list is brought up, either by going to bookmarks or any subforum

Not seeing any crashes from you. Would it be possible for you to get me the stack trace via adb ?

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Sereri posted:

Not seeing any crashes from you. Would it be possible for you to get me the stack trace via adb ?

I have no idea how to do this. It's not giving me a crash error, it's just force closing the app.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Quoting myself because I'm still having this annoying issue. All settings at default.

MisterBibs posted:

Has there been any fix for images from imgur showing up as broken-image placeholders, requiring a reload? Or is it an imgur problem?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Saraiguma posted:

I have no idea how to do this. It's not giving me a crash error, it's just force closing the app.
The "easiest" way would be via adb logcat

Install instructions here:
http://android.wonderhowto.com/how-to/know-your-android-tools-what-is-adb-do-you-use-it-0155456/

Here's how to get the log into a file:
https://sites.google.com/site/androidhowto/how-to-1/save-logcat-to-a-text-file

MisterBibs posted:

Quoting myself because I'm still having this annoying issue. All settings at default.
If it works after a reload I suspect a problem with either imgur or your connection. Does anyone else have this problem?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Having an issue where none of the subforums show up but the link to this thread in the settings page works fine

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

rscott posted:

Having an issue where none of the subforums show up but the link to this thread in the settings page works fine

Looks like ZDR broke the forum select dropdown again, problem is we use it for parsing the forums. This shouldn't have an effect on the latest version anymore (and doesn't for me). Once the dropdown is back to normal just pull-to-refresh the forum index.

bucksmash
Mar 11, 2002

Sereri posted:

If it works after a reload I suspect a problem with either imgur or your connection. Does anyone else have this problem?

Same issue here. Anytime I try to display images I get a little ? box next to the link. No amount of reloading will make the image load. I can only see it by opening the URL in a browser. This affects all JPG/PNG/GIF images.

Images worked fine before this last update. On the flipside GIFV / WEBM / MP4 embeds work great now.

Edit: after testing, it is only Imgur pics that do not display correctly. photobucket / tumblr links show images just fine in this app, Imgur shits out and does the placeholder ? box.

bucksmash fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Feb 12, 2016

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Reloading the page works about half the time, but as the above poster says, usually I have to settle for loading images in the browser. Visually I occasionally see the image load and then switch to a broken image graphic.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

I get a whole lot of images that don't load, in all sorts of different contexts (wifi, LTE, wifi at other people's houses, etc.). I don't know if such a thing is even feasible, but I find myself wanting a "Reload image" menu item on the menu that has Save, Open in browser, and so on.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Feature request: (or bug maybe) I would like to be able to download image attachments just like embedded images. Right now all you can do is tap on them to open in a browser and you can download them there, if you're logged in.

Xinlum
Apr 12, 2009

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a Dark Knight

Just transfered all my stuff to a new phone. I was already logged into the app. On the main forum page I can't see any forums. What's weird is I can still slide to the right to see my bookmarks and read those threads. I deleted data and cache and uninstalled/reinstalled but that didn't fix it.

OK what's really weird is even after force stop, clearing data/cache,and reinstalling I am already logged in. Wtf is going on?

Xinlum fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Feb 20, 2016

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
Has the app become more sensitive to vertical swipes vs rightward swipes? Twice on my way through the thread here it's refused to pull-to-refresh, and instead tried to swipe back to my bookmarks.

Swiping all the way over and back let me proceed.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Xinlum posted:

Just transfered all my stuff to a new phone. I was already logged into the app. On the main forum page I can't see any forums. What's weird is I can still slide to the right to see my bookmarks and read those threads. I deleted data and cache and uninstalled/reinstalled but that didn't fix it.

OK what's really weird is even after force stop, clearing data/cache,and reinstalling I am already logged in. Wtf is going on?

I'm not sure why that should be working all of the sudden but maybe the play store is restoring some backup data.

Try just clearing the app data and nothing else.

ArcMage posted:

Has the app become more sensitive to vertical swipes vs rightward swipes? Twice on my way through the thread here it's refused to pull-to-refresh, and instead tried to swipe back to my bookmarks.

Swiping all the way over and back let me proceed.

Not that I know of.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
I thought this was brought up and fixed before; but I'm noticing the issue where swiping down on a box marked [code] to scroll down the page will mark the swipe as a horizontal one instead of vertical. Galaxy Tab 7 4 (lol that name) running ~*disgusting*~ touchwiz 4.4.4

Maybe I should try and find a page with code on it and test it on my Moto X Pure running 6.0?

Xinlum
Apr 12, 2009

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a Dark Knight

Sereri posted:

I'm not sure why that should be working all of the sudden but maybe the play store is restoring some backup data.

Try just clearing the app data and nothing else.

That didn't work but what did fix it was opening a thread in chrome, clicking the link for the main page, and opening that with Awful.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Xinlum posted:

That didn't work but what did fix it was opening a thread in chrome, clicking the link for the main page, and opening that with Awful.

:psyduck:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I like the look of the gifv/webm player.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
A lot of the time, the webm overlay doesn't go away whole the video's playing. Is there anything I might be missing or doing wrong to account for that?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Something seems to be causing an issue in Awful. For the last couple of days if I leave Awful on a thread and come back to my phone later or change apps several times I come back to a blank page (the headers are there and work but there is no content). The only fix is to refresh the page (which causes me to lose my place).

Awful hasnt been updated in that time but Android System Webview was, not sure if this is related? I'm on a Nexus 5x on 6.0.1

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Red_Fred posted:

Something seems to be causing an issue in Awful. For the last couple of days if I leave Awful on a thread and come back to my phone later or change apps several times I come back to a blank page (the headers are there and work but there is no content). The only fix is to refresh the page (which causes me to lose my place).

I've had this issue on my Wi-Fi only tablet a bunch of times, and I've found that if I disable the Wi-Fi, the page finishes rendering once Awful realizes nothing else is coming down the pipe. Not much of a solution, I'll admit.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
This is happening on WiFi and 4g unfortunately.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Luddite here. How do I upload picture that I have saved on my phone?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Red_Fred posted:

Awful hasnt been updated in that time but Android System Webview was, not sure if this is related? I'm on a Nexus 5x on 6.0.1

I'm getting this any time I follow a link out of Awful and then return. I haven't tested with wifi/data yet.

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
For some reason, I can no longer hit the menu button on my phone to bring up a menu to post replies. I have to hit the three dots on the top right now. Is there a way to fix this?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Red_Fred posted:

This is happening on WiFi and 4g unfortunately.

hooah posted:

I'm getting this any time I follow a link out of Awful and then return. I haven't tested with wifi/data yet.
I can't reproduce this. However my system webview hasn't updated lately according to the play store.

grittyreboot posted:

Luddite here. How do I upload picture that I have saved on my phone?
You don't seem to have platinum so, uh, imgur? Are you coming from the iPhone app?

MohShuvuu posted:

For some reason, I can no longer hit the menu button on my phone to bring up a menu to post replies. I have to hit the three dots on the top right now. Is there a way to fix this?
Dear god what version did you update from?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think the Something thread it dead so I'll try here, can't even remember who wrote it now. I installed it on my Pixel C but it refuses to let me log in, just acts as if my details are wrong. I've tried with hardware and software keyboards and pasting the password into the box. Logging in on Chrome works fine so it's not a password issue. Has anyone had to log into Something recently and had it work? I don't really want to log out on my phone to test it in case it's broken.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Tunga posted:

I think the Something thread it dead so I'll try here, can't even remember who wrote it now. I installed it on my Pixel C but it refuses to let me log in, just acts as if my details are wrong. I've tried with hardware and software keyboards and pasting the password into the box. Logging in on Chrome works fine so it's not a password issue. Has anyone had to log into Something recently and had it work? I don't really want to log out on my phone to test it in case it's broken.

The project.log does indeed seem to be archived, current IYG thread is here

GigaFuzz
Aug 10, 2009

Tunga posted:

I had the same problem with my new phone. I've just switched to using Awful. I used to prefer Something but Awful has come on enough since I last used it that I'm happy with it now.

I just tried Something on my old phone which was still logged in. I logged out, and was not able to log back in again.

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.

Sereri posted:

it couldn't have been a big gap, my phone auto updates it fairly often. I take it this feature no longer exists?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

MohShuvuu posted:

Yes, get a phone made after 2012.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Sereri posted:

I can't reproduce this. However my system webview hasn't updated lately according to the play store.

You don't seem to have platinum so, uh, imgur? Are you coming from the iPhone app?

I have Plat and I don't see an option to attach images. Is this a feature of the app that I'm missing?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I found the attachment option, see if it works

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.

Endless Mike posted:

Yes, get a phone made after 2012.

I'm using a Note 3.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I tried using Something to read two threads at once a little while back but I can't log in using it either.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Does the app not auto update? I'm on a Galaxy S4 and I've always used the menu button to post. I've only had this phone for about a year, too, so my version of the app can't be THAT old.

Edit: I'm on the latest version. I must be misunderstanding something. :confused:

Winifred Madgers fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Feb 26, 2016

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies

Tunga posted:

site posted:

I tried using Something to read two threads at once a little while back but I can't log in using it either.
These are the sorts of things that should be posted in the Something.apk thread and then I'll see it and work on fixing it and update some of the dependencies of the project to support ZDR's new security measures.

Master_Odin fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Feb 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Master_Odin posted:

These are the sorts of things that should be posted in the Something.apk thread and then I'll see it and work on fixing it and update some of the dependencies of the project to support ZDR's new security measures.
Yeah I had no idea that thread existed, bookmarked for future reference, thanks for the fix.