Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

MikeJF posted:

Oh god threatening stance is going to mean even more Tankbuild pubbies.

They're already complaining that it's not in the Engineering tree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

SKY COQ posted:

They're already complaining that it's not in the Engineering tree.

:ughh:

Pubbies gonna pub.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

In fairness, if you're a retarded pubbie who can't keep their ship from exploding when so much as a klingon sneezes in their direction, having dedicated tanks is a big deal!! :downs:

Because god knows we need more ships here doing jack-all damage.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
Logged in to this today:

I might have to get Judge Jojo to hear his appeal. I don't think he's ever gonna drop this.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Speaking of embarrassing pubbie in game mails I still have a massive repository of old hopefuls applying to dental and their application forms, before the shining light of the Dental Academy appeared to bring bread and fish to the masses.

Back when the standing security deposit for an application interview was a million per appointment to be held in trust until their acceptance and refund.

Back when a million was actually vaguely a considerable amount as opposed to "lol critted my admiralty crap".

Speaking of which, how long before inflation makes keys worth 10 million a pop? Or until even the lovely lockbox ships go for whatever the max listing fee is?

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Feb 26, 2016

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Didn't they bump up the max listing fee?

Bring on inflation, most of my money is in items.

How come we don't have a Dental investment fund, anyway?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

MikeJF posted:

What do you think those barrels of golden teeth are for?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Messed around on Tribble for a while now that character copy is up and poked at the new skill stuff. Some random observations...
  • Annoyingly, I get the feeling this is going to be a minor net nerf for most characters, though it won't matter much in practice. There's going to be pretty severe sacrifices to get all the old "essential" stuff up, and you're going to be pretty deficient in at least one area if you go for the clicky ultimate skills. I suspect most people won't even bother with those. The real trick will be figuring out what exactly what you give up in order to keep the essential damage skill.
  • Three skills points for 10% off a specific type cooldown is so not worth it. If you're using Reciprocity/AHOD/Peak Efficiency or whatever you're probably at the global cooldown anyway. Might be some interesting gimmicks involving the Krenim boffs or other similar CD reductions so you can use different ship traits instead, but I get a feeling it probably isn't worth it.
  • Paid respecs make it impossible to really experiment, so everyone competent is still just going to do some conservative generic build. Glad all that code work was done, huh?
  • At least it isn't too big a sacrifice to take some science power-boosting skills this time.
  • There's no way to check your total skills on your character sheet now; they're not listed in either the space or ground stats tab. Guess you get to calculate it by hand!
  • Holy crap pubs are going to be even worse than before, since all those idiots dumping points into ~max tanking~ will now have nothing propping up their damage. Anyone who goes for a non-tac ultimate skill in particular is going to be useless in a fight, they definitely won't make up for the missing tac skills.
  • Plasmonic Leech doesn't seem to be affected by any of the new skills. This is probably an oversight since the tooltip says it's supposed to be boosted by Drain Expertise, but good luck seeing this fixed in a timely fashion.
  • That Drain Infection science skill is literally useless, it was doing like 500 damage per tick at max Aux and a bunch of drain expertise items. Oh boy, an extra 2500 damage with your tachyon beam. :geno:
Overall it really seems sort of... meh. It's maybe a little simpler and at least matches the specialization mechanics now, but it doesn't really solve the build problems the old system had and introduces some new ones. They really should have just give everyone +50 in the equivalent of all the old skills then had the rest be buffs atop that so you at least had basic competence in everything, but they sure didn't think of that. Overall I give it 5 out of 5 Cryptic Points.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

MikeJF posted:

Didn't they bump up the max listing fee?

Bring on inflation, most of my money is in items.

something something cold storage.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

IPCRESS posted:

something something cold storage.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Asimo posted:

[*]Paid respecs make it impossible to really experiment, so everyone competent is still just going to do some conservative generic build. Glad all that code work was done, huh?

If they were a well-thought-out game (hah!) they'd make it free respccing for the first two weeks or so.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Oh yeah, it works like the specialization system too so the skills are purchased permanently one at time instead of being able to spend them alland rearrange things and then confirm. This was fine with specs since you could eventually just buy them all, but there's no easy way to plan a build on the fly in-game. Hope you have $5 per misclick! :toot:

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
You say it's easy to go 'too heavy' into health and such and not be able to make it up via points into damage. This leads to the question: How deep do you have to go for damage?

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Have you seen these posts?
They're pretty popular on Reddit.
What did I miss? Were people being very negative about the new tree?

https://twitter.com/BorticusCryptic/status/703099647468789761

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Asimo posted:

Oh yeah, it works like the specialization system too so the skills are purchased permanently one at time instead of being able to spend them alland rearrange things and then confirm. This was fine with specs since you could eventually just buy them all, but there's no easy way to plan a build on the fly in-game. Hope you have $5 per misclick! :toot:

Clearly the way to balance this without coddling the ungrateful players is giving the option of spending a spec point to respec their skills.

Or maybe one spec point per skill point to respec. Yeah there's the ticket.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

Tuskin38 posted:

I guess he got upset when people told him what a terrible coder he is again.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Tuskin38 posted:

Well, this is the first chance people have had to use the new trees on their actual chars, as opposed to brand-new chars without end-game ships/gear. So this is really the first time people can give real feedback on the system.

Edit: I checked the official forums, and that's exactly it. Everybody got to try their current chars, and either cryptic lied about being able to duplicate your old build with the new system, or it's very, very hard to figure out how to properly duplicate your old build with the new system. Lots of people complaining about massive nerfs. Complaining about having to invest in eng/sci to unlock tac skill books (and the same for eng and sci books), complaints that plas leech has been nerfed, complaints that sci carrier captains need to invest heavily into tac for the carrier skills, complaints about just about everything.

g0del fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Feb 26, 2016

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Lolling at a company letting their employees get on twitter to whinge about their work being bad, very professional.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Bloodly posted:

You say it's easy to go 'too heavy' into health and such and not be able to make it up via points into damage. This leads to the question: How deep do you have to go for damage?
Well, for some context there's...35 skills or so to by in each field, and you only get 46 to spread around.

That isn't really too big a deal. I mean people will figure out good builds quickly enough and it's not like players aren't massively overpowered versus most NPCs as it is. The bigger issues are the deep structural ones involving how points are spent, the difficulty with experimenting due to the lack of non-cash respecs, and the fact it doesn't really solve any of the problems with the old skill system except for some of the effects being clearer I guess.

Zoerp
Sep 29, 2012

Lord of the Seas

fakemirage
Nov 6, 2012

Can't see the haters.
http://oddshot.tv/shot/ttuthill-20160226221040732 (warning: loud)

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Arguably makes that video more metal, so I'm not sure why complain there.

"troll leader"

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

:laffo:

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

http://www.twitch.tv/ttuthill

He stopped streaming presumably long enough to fill out a report on Nukara suits doing jumping jacks.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The skill revamp is the biggest train wreck. So glad I stopped playing this poo poo heap of a game.

Also lol at "one misclick is five bucks" :v:

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !

IPCRESS posted:

"Lots of find and replace".

How quality programs are written.

http://twitter.com/BorticusCryptic/status/700755316426706945
"1264 references replaced" :stonk: :stonkhat: :stonklol:

Also: http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline/#/discussion/1212502/bug-strengthened-strengths-resistible-resists

Yet another nuclear landmine of a bug found in the midst of the giant ball of spaghetti code that runs this game. Some 400 odd powers were apparently applying math in a exponential fashion instead of a set amount when stacked (so many things were applying math like.. +/-100/200/400/800/etc whatever it does instead of +/-100/100/100/100)

Bortypoo posted:

In other words, instead of applying debuffs that inflict the same resistance debuff every time, the first application could do -100 while the next would be -200, and the next -400, and the next -800, and on and on.

This gets more and more hilarious every day. :toot:

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

MREBoy posted:

Yet another nuclear landmine of a bug found in the midst of the giant ball of spaghetti code that runs this game. Some 400 odd powers were apparently applying math in a exponential fashion instead of a set amount when stacked (so many things were applying math like.. +/-100/200/400/800/etc whatever it does instead of +/-100/100/100/100)
Even better, this bug is affecting the live game too and has been for god knows however long. :toot:

Rahhmi
Aug 18, 2015

GO WEEDJI!

[05/28/2016 12:40:42 AM] Pulse: don't stir up my
personal drama, please

Roseo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swB-CbSZZdw

Never loving forget. This is actually the video that spurred me to buy the game way back when.

If I had seen this video, I would have bought the game. Then I'd be j4g scum... . . . . .. wait!

DonDoodles posted:

XEAN UPDATE:

So I convinced a pubbie to join Xtern1ty, and, after talking to a few of the remaining members, actually got a fleet invite. Though Xean never logs on anymore, he still tries to control every aspect of his dying fleet, and apparently he threw a poo poo fit that someone was invited to Xtern1ty without his personal approval. He created a list of fleet members to kick for insubordination, and a high-ranking member got pissed, stole from the fleet bank, kicked a bunch of members, and left the fleet himself.

The legend continues

Edit: Apparently Xean only logs on to remind everyone he's still in charge, and he usually kicks a member just to prove his point.

So basically, I ran into him while he was logging in to remind people he's in charge before kicking someone and logging out? That makes sense.

Furnok Dorn
Mar 30, 2004
SOCIALLY WORTHLESS SHUT-IN NERD
hello how do I do the pubbie grief

ingame name is fartbarter

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Furnok Dorn posted:

hello how do I do the pubbie grief

ingame name is fartbarter
  1. Join Starfleet Dental.
  2. Stand next to RPers.
  3. (optional) Do jumping jacks.

Seriously, most of them will go insane just because a Dental is anywhere near them.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

g0del posted:

1. Join Starfleet Dental.
  2. Stand next to RPers.
  3. (optional) Do jumping jacks.

Seriously, most of them will go insane just because a Dental is anywhere near them.

Seriously this. Just logging on is cyberbullying, stalking and rape all at once to some of them.

Imagine an autistic man child screaming about his strawberry milk not being cold enough and you'll be close.

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime

DancingShade posted:

Seriously this. Just logging on is cyberbullying, stalking and rape all at once to some of them.

Imagine an autistic man child screaming about his strawberry milk not being cold enough and you'll be close.

You'll probably get death threats if you stand within 10 meters of anyone on Risa.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I was going to log in today but then I realised that there was no reason to and nothing to do.

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime
So far been on Vulcan for less than ten minutes, gauging player feedback over Nimoy Memorial Celebration:

quote:

[Local] Chuck Denim@chuck32denim: who do you think you are?
[Local] Lyta Alexander@lyta47: That is direspectful, stop it!
[Tell] Lyta Alexander@lyta47: go to hell
[Local] Leoben Conroy@leobenconroy002: a pathetic presentation of disrespect, indeed!
[Local] Chuck Denim@chuck32denim: be respectfull? you idiot we are standing at attention not dancing around like fools you both are being disrespectfull
[Local] Chuck Denim@chuck32denim: i want you both to think about this would you like it if STO put a memorial for you and someone piss's on your grave this is so uncalled for of your actions think about my words
[Local] Anakin@admiralbruce1: hey troll just so you know you're going to burn in hell for this
[Local] Anakin@admiralbruce1: this i will personally over see

Going pretty well so far!

DonDoodles fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Feb 27, 2016

Jxforema
Sep 23, 2005
long live the Space Pope
i deleted thenextgooneration from my chat, can i get a re invite? @jxforema

Rahhmi
Aug 18, 2015

GO WEEDJI!

[05/28/2016 12:40:42 AM] Pulse: don't stir up my
personal drama, please

The Festivities have begun early for the death of Leonard Nimoy / Spock.

The Rage is growing...
The Ceremonial Spheres are lit...
The Rapid-Response Butts is in place...
The Breekis are Dancing...
And a headless Spock responds to anything being said.

[8:53] [Local] donkong@donk5: R.I.P Mr. Spock
[8:53] [Local] ZombieSpock: Jim
[8:53] [Local] ZombieSpock: Jim is that you?
[8:53] [Local] ZombieSpock: I can't see you....
[8:54] [Local] Anakin@admiralbruce1: well.....duty calls....rest in peace Mr. spock/ Leonard Nimoy
[8:54] [Local] ZombieSpock: thank you
[8:54] [Local] ZombieSpock: jim

All is right with the universe.

Rahhmi fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Feb 27, 2016

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime
There is a forum thread up now, calling out each person present in a massive naming and shaming violation.

http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline/#/discussion/1212532/party-powers-on-vulcan-statue-still-active

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Have you seen these posts?
They're pretty popular on Reddit.
Imagine using tumblr to host your images.

I'm assuming he also made a blog post about this on there.

Tuskin38 fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Feb 27, 2016

Zoerp
Sep 29, 2012

Lord of the Seas

Tensions running high

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Have no fear, Kobali Spock has arrived to defuse the situation!

Edit: trendy closed the thread, day saved!

Aleth fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Feb 27, 2016

• Locked thread