Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

Fonzarelli posted:

nah Melbourne Australia, pretty drat close though in culture

No doubt.

Last time I talked to a Vancouver dude, I was joking about the 2 million dollar shack that went viral, and he got all mad and made a point about my city only having one cinema with 12 screens and I didn't really know what his point was. He is way over his head in debt and wound so loving tight that dissing his city is a real sore spot but his pride won't let him admit it. Being house-poor sucks balls big time. He'll probably end up kicking off his 30s with a bankruptcy and a fresh start.

Anyways, I hate to break it to you, but as cities go - Melbourne is a kind of a whitebread hick town. I'm actually surprised there is more than one theater there.

When you talk about all that ethnic food, you really mean pizza and chinese, right? You can get that anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Man Whore posted:

no one deserves luxuries you bourgeois scum
sic

semper

tyrannis

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

reallivedinosaur posted:

Anyways, I hate to break it to you, but as cities go - Melbourne is a kind of a whitebread hick town. I'm actually surprised there is more than one theater there.

When you talk about all that ethnic food, you really mean pizza and chinese, right? You can get that anywhere.

lol you can't just make things up. Melbourne has four million people, a massive music scene, a huge film festival and comedy festival and is one of the most diverse cities in the entire world. You can get any type of food that you want from incredibly expensive chinese to ethiopian to japanese fusion to a really good burger. Its also got functioning public transport in the form of trains and streetcars, something that no small town is ever gonna have.

also lol i don't care about prices, I've got a decent career and my parents subsidise half my rent

VVV this fool is jelly VVV

Caesar Saladin fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Feb 26, 2016

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Fonzarelli posted:

and my parents subsidise half my rent
:allears:

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Fonzarelli posted:

VVV this fool is jelly VVV
jealous of what exactly

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

if Twisted Sister doesn't come through your city every 6 months then why the gently caress would you bother living there

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

symbolic posted:

jealous of what exactly

only having to pay half of my rent and having rich parents who allow me to live well

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

Fonzarelli posted:

lol you can't just make things up. Melbourne has four million people, a massive music scene, a huge film festival and comedy festival and is one of the most diverse cities in the entire world. You can get any type of food that you want from incredibly expensive chinese to ethiopian to japanese fusion to a really good burger. Its also got functioning public transport in the form of trains and streetcars, something that no small town is ever gonna have.

Doesn't seem to be on the list.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cities_proper_by_population

Toronto has the same kind of penis envy, they keep including more and more of Ontario to bump up the population count because they desperately feel they need to be in "north americas biggest cities" list or some poo poo. But it's a crumbling shithole with a bad hockey team and everybody knows it.

A lot of small towns exist just because of trains, so I'm not sure what you're even talking about there. I have been in plenty of towns with populations of 50-100k that have great public transport.

Melbourne is like Columbus, Ohio and you're bragging like a New Yorker. You seem a bit out of touch.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cities_in_Australia_by_population i don't know what your point is by linking your list

Australia has less people in general, so a population of four million is very relevant. Columbus ohio? What are you on about? We're a coastal city with a massive immigrant population, not some podunk middle american poo poo town with less than a million people

americans have no concept of the culture of any country except their own

towns existing because of trains? Yeah maybe because they built a train station in the town and thats it, they don't have massive street car and public transportation rail grids. I've been to your crappy american cities, i lived in Knoxville which isn't small and even that crappy place was a cultural wasteland goddamn

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

reallivedinosaur posted:

No doubt.

Last time I talked to a Vancouver dude, I was joking about the 2 million dollar shack that went viral, and he got all mad and made a point about my city only having one cinema with 12 screens and I didn't really know what his point was. He is way over his head in debt and wound so loving tight that dissing his city is a real sore spot but his pride won't let him admit it. Being house-poor sucks balls big time. He'll probably end up kicking off his 30s with a bankruptcy and a fresh start.

Even being house poor means you have a place to live in. The big advantage of real estate as an investment is that even if it's value shits the bed you can still live there.

Is there a real difference between being up to your neck in mortgage vs up to your next in rent? At least one of them gives you tax breaks and the chance to lower your payments via refinance and inflation vs just paying more and more in rent with zero to show for it.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Fonzarelli posted:

only having to pay half of my rent and having rich parents who allow me to live well
you're quite the dumbfuck aren't you

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

symbolic posted:

you're quite the dumbfuck aren't you

you've literally posted nine pages of this thread, i think it is you who is the dumb gently caress

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Wow weve got peak millenial rage in here.

Pack it up everybody the USA only has white people according to this aussie.

Could have fooled me.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

JB50 posted:

Wow weve got peak millenial rage in here.

Pack it up everybody the USA only has white people according to this aussie.

Could have fooled me.

sorry i somehow don't believe that the middle of america has many actual immigrant populations from europe or asia, i would love some proof of some of these midwestern cities diversity if you want me to believe you are anything

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Fonzarelli posted:

sorry i somehow don't believe that the middle of america has many actual immigrant populations from europe or asia, i would love some proof of some of these midwestern cities diversity if you want me to believe you are anything

Over 75.0% of Minnesota's residents are of European descent, with the largest reported ancestries being German (38.6%), Norwegian (17.0%), Irish (11.9%), and Swedish (9.8%). The state has had the reputation of being relatively racially homogeneous, but that is changing. The Hispanic population of Minnesota is increasing rapidly,[8] and recent immigrants have come from all over the world, including Hmong,[9] Somalis, Vietnamese, and emigrants from the former Soviet bloc.

Minnesota Racial Breakdown of Population
Racial composition 1990[10] 2000[11] 2010[12]
White 94.4% 89.4% 85.3%
Black 2.2% 3.5% 5.2%
Asian 1.8% 2.9% 4.0%
Native 1.1% 1.1% 1.2%
Native Hawaiian and
other Pacific Islander - - -
Other race 0.5% 1.3% 1.9%
Two or more races - 1.7% 2.4%

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Fonzarelli posted:

you've literally posted nine pages of this thread, i think it is you who is the dumb gently caress
that's so irrelevant that it's stupid :laffo:

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

Panfilo posted:

Even being house poor means you have a place to live in. The big advantage of real estate as an investment is that even if it's value shits the bed you can still live there.

Is there a real difference between being up to your neck in mortgage vs up to your next in rent? At least one of them gives you tax breaks and the chance to lower your payments via refinance and inflation vs just paying more and more in rent with zero to show for it.

I get the benefits of home ownership and endorse it, I'm talking about people over their head.

Being house poor usually means you're a missed payment or a broken wrist away from being homeless most of the time. Being unable to make rent doesn't mean foreclosure, it means finding a cheaper apartment or a roommate.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

hahaha if you think that 5% asian is diverse i don't know what to tell you dude. My city has the largest greek and italian speaking population outside of italy and greece, and one of the world's oldest chinatowns.

but its not about melbourne, my point originally if you're not living in a real city your life is probably boring and lovely, which stands the test of time

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

symbolic posted:

wow, very millennial

*clap

Ha I was wondering where this post went , consider me a millennial who only reads the first two letters of things. Miata millennial

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Fonzarelli posted:

My city has the largest greek and italian speaking population outside of italy and greece

I'm sorry

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Fonzarelli posted:

my point originally if you're not living in a real city your life is probably boring and lovely, which stands the test of time
"my name is fonzarelli, my parents pay half my rent so i can live a cushy lifestyle in the nice big city. if your parents can't do that, then your life sucks and you're boring :lol:"

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

symbolic posted:

"my name is fonzarelli, my parents pay half my rent so i can live a cushy lifestyle in the nice big city. if your parents can't do that, then your life sucks and you're boring :lol:"

yeah, thems the breaks sorry. Maybe get a roommate or something? Thats what my friends do and GASP they also live in a city.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Fonzarelli posted:

yeah, thems the breaks sorry. Maybe get a roommate or something? Thats what my friends do and GASP they also live in a city.
i do in fact have a roommate

a college roommate

see, this is why i called you a dumbfuck. i spend half of the year in a dorm paid for mostly by the government and half of the year at my parents' house rent-free because i'm still a teenager so i'm obliged to. i'm also a short drive's distance from Allentown, the third most populous city in PA.

congratulations on assuming absolutely everything

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I rent a big house in the city and I'm a Millenial and I'm a big dumb gay baby.
At least I have my craft brews and mustache wax.

gently caress, I don't know when my irony stops anymore.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

symbolic posted:

i do in fact have a roommate

a college roommate

see, this is why i called you a dumbfuck. i spend half of the year in a dorm paid for mostly by the government and half of the year at my parents' house rent-free because i'm still a teenager so i'm obliged to. i'm also a short drive's distance from Allentown, the third most populous city in PA.

why are you so mad then? Dude you've still got time to actually live somewhere proper, hope is not all lost for you. I've never heard of Allentown I can't imagine there is much there, pittsburgh is probably okay though

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

please let me show you screenshots of all The Ladies swooning over me
Diversity is a good metric for what exactly? It's really odd to read people boasting about how many immigrants their city has as if it means anything.

Posting as a whitie in a non-whitie super homogenized part of the world. Probably living a better lifestyle than Mr. Melbourne over there to boot. Got that real internet here.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

symbolic posted:

But he's not in a "real city", lmao. What parents pay half anybody's rent? Learn to read the tea leaves.

He obviously lives at home, and has never left home and that's why Melbourne is still a big important city to him and he brags about it with all the first hand experience of someone quoting the tourism page because they aren't allowed to go out.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Pandemonium posted:

Diversity is a good metric for what exactly? It's really odd to read people boasting about how many immigrants their city has as if it means anything.

Posting as a whitie in a non-whitie super homogenized part of the world. Probably living a better lifestyle than Mr. Melbourne over there to boot. Got that real internet here.

"Youre just mad your parents dont pay half your rent" -He says as if this is something to brag about.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Fonzarelli posted:

why are you so mad then? Dude you've still got time to actually live somewhere proper, hope is not all lost for you
i just hate when people make dumbfuck assumptions

also i'm perfectly content with living in the boonies or a city, so it's whatever

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

reallivedinosaur posted:

But he's not in a "real city", lmao. What parents pay half anybody's rent? Learn to read the tea leaves.

He obviously lives at home, and has never left home and that's why Melbourne is still a big important city to him and he brags about it with all the first hand experience of someone quoting the tourism page because they aren't allowed to go out.

haha mate if you wanna make up things about me that's okay, but over the course of my life i moved every two years all over asia and the US, i literally lived in tokyo, the single largest city in the world. But make up some more stuff, please.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Fonzarelli posted:

hahaha if you think that 5% asian is diverse i don't know what to tell you dude. My city has the largest greek and italian speaking population outside of italy and greece, and one of the world's oldest chinatowns.

but its not about melbourne, my point originally if you're not living in a real city your life is probably boring and lovely, which stands the test of time

Melbourne is a pretty awesome city, but Greek and Italian don't really count as diverse in the US.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

Fonzarelli posted:

haha mate if you wanna make up things about me that's okay, but over the course of my life i moved every two years all over asia and the US

oh I'm sure you did all that and more and you jumped your tank of sharks on your motorbike a while back

post some more millenial.txt

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

reallivedinosaur posted:

oh I'm sure you did all that and more and you jumped your tank of sharks on your motorbike a while back

post some more millenial.txt

this guy is bitter about his townie existence

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
This guy lived in Tokyo.

LITERALLY.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Fonzarelli posted:

I've never heard of Allentown I can't imagine there is much there, pittsburgh is probably okay though
Pittsburgh is a shithole

Allentown is Philadelphia without the historical significance, great food, and attractions

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fonzarelli posted:

what if you want to go to a nice restaurant, maybe see a concert or go to an art gallery or take a girl on a decent and interesting date that doesn't involve driving for 40 minutes to find something that is actually something, small rural towns have nothing in them and no worth to a regular person

I know this might sound crazy, but when living in the country, instead of living in the city but your house is an hour away, you live in the country, meaning you do other things instead of that stuff.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's really not surprising though that the guy who thinks life outside of a dense metro area is impossibly boring has never heard of the concept of camping or other outdoors things, nor does he realize just about every town that's bigger than a trailer park has all the same poo poo as a large city except maybe a movie theater or stadium or something that needs a huge population like that. Literally the only thing you miss out on living in a rural area is delivery food and uhh driving for 45 minutes instead of 20 minutes to go to a concert/football game

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Melbourne... public transport... urge to kill... rising

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

why are goons so obsessed with delivery food? Go to a restaurant for christ's sake you manchildren

i'm sure there's tons of stuff to do in the general area of the feed store though dude, i believe you, its the happening part of town

i'm starting to understand that maybe you guys don't put a lot of worth on things like "interesting parties and events"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Fonzarelli posted:

why are goons so obsessed with delivery food? Go to a restaurant for christ's sake you manchildren

i'm sure there's tons of stuff to do in the general area of the feed store though dude, i believe you, its the happening part of town
there's always grocery stores, which i find is a much more rewarding experience than going out to eat (save for special occasions) and especially delivery.

delivery is the most unsatisfying meal choice in the world

• Locked thread