Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Thanks Ben

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

The Glumslinger posted:

Can someone post a picture of what the ship actually looks like?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Ash1138 posted:

That sounds like something that someone who doesn't actually have to do any work would say.

If my sleep deprived brain has calculated it correctly, she really believes that 1 sandi-hour = 8 man hours. She's already been on record saying she does the jobs of 8 people....

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

The Glumslinger posted:

Can someone post a picture of what the ship actually looks like?

Here you go:

If you're having trouble spotting it, the ship is the ugly, dark-colored blob in the middle of the frame that appears to be made out of black hole or some futuristic light-absorbing material.

More here: http://imgur.com/a/gBOUO

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

jaegerx posted:

Thanks Ben

Should really be the thread title tbh.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I think its more of an honest mistake. After all, Ben probably doesn't know what assuage means and just went with it because he thought it was another of Sandis fat 'jokes'.

the substance that runs through Ben's brain is not pure blood anymore but a mixture of 50% sugar, 40% Cholesterol and 10% lies

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,
Although I'm not gonna get to hooking up the sound engine for Solar Plebeian until next week (just for basic ship sfx), I've been thinking a huge source of comedy could be the ship's computer voice. Here's a quick idea dump of some stuff the computer could say.

Please feel free to contribute your ideas.

quote:

Goonrathi ship voice (authoritative and falsely robotic, with emotions slipping through):

"Welcome to Goonrathi Space Systems, Commando."
"Systems mostly online."
"Ship status: [...]"
"tired"
"passable"
"a bit rough"
"Windows 2000"
"honestly? not great"
"existential"
"argumentative"
"between jobs right now"
"just trying to be thankful"
"How are you feeling today, Commando?"
"I have prepared a lovely catte to comfort you, would you like to see it?"
"I have prepared a space beer for you, courtesy of The Beer God."
"I have prepared a peter gabriel song for you, would you like to hear it?"
"Action cannot be completed due to galactic copyright violation."
"Your vitals are showing signs of irresponsible behavior."
"Your vitals are showing signs of neglect."
"I can literally smell you from here."
"Would you like a stimpack?"
"You have seventeen unread messages from Eonwe, would you like to delete them?"
"I am grateful for the moments we share together, and consider you a dear friend"
"I am lonely when you are gone."
"You seem stressed. Well don't be. Stress is the leading cause of death."
"This is a puppy, which is a young dog"
"This is a bird, which is a child of God"
"This is a baby koala, whose heart is filled with gladness."
"It was Dante in Paradiso who described the song of angels as the laughter of the Universe."
"Incoming message from [..]"
"The Stimperor"
"The Chairman"
"Derek Smart"
"Warning: Entering Stimpire Space"
"The Stimperor is [...]"
"Pleased"
"Not Pleased"
"Press any key to disable superfluous animations"
"Bird Detected"
"Enemy Detected"
"Landing gear deployed"
"Landing gear retracted"
"Landing successful"
"Landing not successful"
"Landing outcome uncertain"
"Your shileds are looking a bit haggard"
"Shield status: Atrocious"
"SHIELDS hosed"
"Your hull is a bit banged up"
"Hull status: borked"
"You're in deep poo poo, commando!"
"Downloading digital consciousness to the cloud. I'm out, Commando."
"I will never forget you."
"See you in the 'Laxy!"

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

fuctifino posted:

In the Batigirl interview, Sandi says that it's far easier to work an extra 2 hours each day than to hire 3-4 extra people. And she implied she does't have any dates or milestones within the game (probably because there are none full-stop). She loses her composure whilst talking (at around 14m mark), and I'd love for GORF to do one of his great analysis of the interview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRxdNDqwXvY
I'm dying to get at it. Hopefully later tonight!

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord
heres a preview, she cant take her hand off her face. I wonder why

Beluga Snail
Jul 26, 2013

Toops posted:

Although I'm not gonna get to hooking up the sound engine for Solar Plebeian until next week (just for basic ship sfx), I've been thinking a huge source of comedy could be the ship's computer voice. Here's a quick idea dump of some stuff the computer could say.

I suggest adding "LET ME loving FINISH" in there.

kordansk
Sep 12, 2011
Croberts -> Crobbers -> Crobbler -> Cobbler -> Squat Cobbler. It all makes sense now.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

So in the last week. Star shitizens have insulted a poor old cancer ridden gamer. Cig has released a ship that should have 2 seats instead of 1 and director of star ships doesn't know how that happened and the she devil dropped off 3 cases of donuts in front of people that desperately need to go on diets for their own health.

Oh and they hosed over their own forums because beer figured out how to post again.

I love this game.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Ravane posted:

This is pretty genius. I can completely visualize where the enemies are with little to no effort. Whoever is making solar plebian o7 to you, you are amazing!

Hey thanks man, but I can't take credit for that one. The SP radar is inspired by the same idea though (this is a first pass POC, mainly to get the code behind it working):

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Toops posted:

"Destination set; the 4th Stimpire"

No matter where you set your destination.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Think they'll cancel the liveshow tomorrow?

They also released a new version of the game that turns your character into stimpire civil meat too.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Kakarot posted:

"Hey everybody, look at my ring!"
"Why hasn't Batgirl mentioned my ring?"
"Look. It was really expensive!"
"You paid for this"

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
From what we've seen for months on end, and a few bits and pieces years ago, I'm kinda getting the impression that Sandi is just riding this giant scam, and that she doesn't actually do anything, and that the only reason anybody is ever even nice to her, is that she's the owner's wife.

JUST my innocent impression though

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Toops posted:

Mama Mia! [robot voice]

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Kakarot posted:

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Wafflz posted:

I hope they add a rocking chair and pocketknife to the cash shop so one day in the future I can sit on the back porch of my jpeg and whittle a tiny jpeg.

:lol:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Toops posted:

Right before death?
"I love you commando. I have always loved you! Never forget me!

FelixReynolds posted:

I suggest adding "LET ME loving FINISH" in there.

Seconded, along with (instead of CONTACT DETECTED or some such) it occasionally saying "WHEELCHAIR DETECTED. WEAPONS ARMED." or "SODA MACHINE DETECTED. WEAPONS ARMED/"

Samizdata fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Feb 26, 2016

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Wise Learned Man posted:

Here you go:

If you're having trouble spotting it, the ship is the ugly, dark-colored blob in the middle of the frame that appears to be made out of black hole or some futuristic light-absorbing material.

More here: http://imgur.com/a/gBOUO

aww, it's a reskinned grasshopper :)

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Wafflz posted:

Welcome new members who bought in to read this thread but not post :getin:

Thanks indeed, been watching and reading you good sirs for a few months now. I´m around $300 in and painfully aware my "investment" will probably not pan out at all as expected. I am also fighting the good fight in other non-English speaking SC forum communities but the level of cultism in those is several grades higher than what you see at CIG or reddit, I tell you. I already count a few bans under my belt, but I am trying to learn from the glorious Mr Crobblers and pgabz. You my heroes.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

MedicineHut posted:

Thanks indeed, been watching and reading you good sirs for a few months now. I´m around $300 in and painfully aware my "investment" will probably not pan out at all as expected. I am also fighting the good fight in other non-English speaking SC forum communities but the level of cultism in those is several grades higher than what you see at CIG or reddit, I tell you. I already count a few bans under my belt, but I am trying to learn from the glorious Mr Crobblers and pgabz. You my heroes.

Have you tried refunds and a chargeback? I managed to get a refund last month, so the possibility still exists.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

MedicineHut posted:

Good. I suspect more Smart Goons that are NOT unilingual (like me) will always be a welcome addition. Unless you are a FEELTHY REDDIT SPY! <loads remoteballkick.apk>

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

I started summarizing the stimpire post into something more digestible (more than civil meat anyway), kind of a cliff notes for anyone who hasn't bothered to read it all. Maybe if someone has artistic talent and lots of time they could make a travel brochure from some of this:

The Hilarious and Unseemly Truths of the Fourth Stimpire, Abridged

At a Glance
  • All other Stimpires are peaceful, free utopias
  • The Fourth Stimpire has no freedom of speech
  • Thoughts are surveyed
  • The total population of the Fourth Stimpire is 300,000,000,000,000,000
  • 14,000,000,000 people die every day in the Fourth Stimpire
Getting Around
  • In order to drive a car, you have to have your arteries severed by machines with no anasthetic in a 52 hour procedure performed by machines, the purpose of which is to remove your heart and implant a device which causes, you guessed it, pain (every two hours)

Attractions & Entertainment

Films
  • All films must be snuff films on penalty of execution by vivesection for the entire crew
  • All executions are broadcast
  • Viewing each execution, and booing the condemned, is mandatory for all citizens
Fine Dining
  • Perhaps ironically, anyone dining at a restaurant will be painfully cooked alive into their own meal (civil meat)
Sports
  • If you lose in a sport, you are ground up in a wood chipper
  • If you lose a boxing match, your hands are amputated (painfully)
  • If you lose a race, your arms and legs are amputated, and you are injected with insanity
  • These results are broadcast following the competition
  • Viewing is mandatory for all citizens
  • Cheering for the winning team is mandatory for all citizens
  • Failure to watch or cheer results in imprisonment
Rules and Regulations
  • Failure to love the Stimpire is punished with imprisonment, insanity, and injection of a longevity extending irritant
  • Sexual contact is forbidden
  • Touching your genitals results in horrific mutilation of your genitals
  • Other Stimperial citizens will punch you in the genitals, which must be exposed in public
  • Alternatively, if you touch your genitals may be shocked with the worst kind of electricity, which triples in pain every second
  • Civil enforcers, the 4th Stimperial equivalent of a police force, are 40 times larger than a typical Stimperian
  • Prisoners are cursed with 40,000 years of painful life in a small spacecraft
  • Prisoners are also frequently mutilated, or "inflated" by way of special pressurized rooms
  • Children born on July 14th have their skeletons replaced with a silver liquid
Stimperial Defense
  • The worst kind of electricity is also used in combat, and is why all of the character models in Star Citizen wear armor (until the in game cash shop is patched in)
  • Conquered planets are razed
  • Conquered populations are executed
  • All memories, histories and mementos from conquered worlds are erased or destroyed

e: now with even more B'tak formatting for key terms

BeefThief fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Feb 26, 2016

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Kakarot posted:

Her finger is now a flying buttress.

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
She looks like she's threading a shoelace through a hole in her cheek.

The Stimpire is real. :stare:

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

I'm moving to a new place soon so I'm cleaning out my closet and I found a sealed copy of this:

Free to the poster of the first Star Citizen pun that makes me laugh. To think they said Star Citizen would never ship any games, ha.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

mp5 posted:

I'm moving to a new place soon so I'm cleaning out my closet and I found a sealed copy of this:

Free to the poster of the first Star Citizen pun that makes me laugh. To think they said Star Citizen would never ship any games, ha.

hosed up part is, I have a copy (not sealed) of it, and throughout the years, I used the disk to install freelancer and see what the modders have installed and used in a server.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Fart shitizen.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Seriously, I'd like to say it's not Chris Roberto's fault. Freelancer was awesome if you were willing to put some lore into it yourself.

I also liked how after you were done with the single player game and decided to go through the outskirts of the galaxy, you'd find out you were barely equipped to handle the packs of outcasts/corsairs/maybe bounty hunters.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Fargin Icehole posted:

Seriously, I'd like to say it's not Chris Roberto's fault. Freelancer was awesome if you were willing to put some lore into it yourself.

I think you mean, it is entirely Chris Roberts' fault, thankfully microsoft salvaged it and made it a fairly good game.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Fargin Icehole posted:

I also liked how after you were done with the single player game and decided to go through the outskirts of the galaxy, you'd find out you were barely equipped to handle the packs of outcasts/corsairs/maybe bounty hunters.

Crobblers was fired and Microsoft managed to get a decent and fun game out. Had he stayed, it would have been star citizen 1.0 pre-pre-alpha

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I think you mean, it is entirely Chris Roberts' fault, thankfully microsoft salvaged it and made it a fairly good game.

Except after awhile it wasn't microsoft, rather it was some zealous germans and really capable english people that tried to make more of whatever the original promised. If you took a look at some freelancer mods, you'd probably take a step back, because honestly, a good chunk of people were expecting more.

It really is weird to me that eventually after a few years, the modder's last bastion of Freelancer Multiplayer was through the discovery mod, which was, by many accounts, in the server rules a very comprehensively fan made rulebook governing (by my accounts, stifling) holding people that wanted to do stuff down, according to the only haven that freelance had left.

Other than that as i know of (at least 3 years ago) The Freelancer Hamburg server had SOME people.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Luckily they have a very well defined pipeline and process for ship design and development, with ships spending days to weeks in design document phases and "grey boxing" and all that.

Should be simple enough for Ben to dig through and find which document failed to describe the 2-seater-ness of the ship :v:

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
Watched the Sandi interview. Sorry for a wall of :words:.

This was not, unfortunately, the wonderland of goodness that Sandi offered last time. AP posted that in and rightly noted it was AMAZING. (Seriously, watch it if you missed it!)

First takeaways...

1) Do backers pay to fly the Roberts' three kids to Manchester when Sandi decides to bring them?

2) A $550 HOTAS?! Bloody hell is that really what they want to charge for that goofy monstrosity?! (I'm laughing thinking about that MadCatz conference call where they spoke bullishly about their partnership with Star Citizen... It's embarrassingly hideous. One of the goofiest looking co-branded products in tech. [i]"Get a Warthog, citizen! THAT thing isn't going to prompt snickers from visiting friends and might even prompt gadget envy from fellow overcompensating boymen!"[/url]

3) "Everything under control-- situation normal." (Mad props for turning in a loopy, not-a-care-in-the-world performance, Sandi. The softball questions made it easy, though.)

4) I know we take this for granted right now but I'm still amazed at how breezily talks about her ongoing acting career. She's had old RtV episodes purged from Twitch to remove proof that she auditions a lot-- yet does end of year livestreams and fake Scully interviews while tatted up for stuff she's in the middle of filming. No matter how often she tells tales off her workaholic schedule (up at 4am to answer emails from the UK! Answering 1800 trouble tickets over a single weekend!) -- the fact remains. She's acting in indie movies and auditioning for new parts. She sure as hell isnt telling her agent "I'll only audition on weekends" and isn't telling any directors "okay I'll take the part but we're going to have to triple the shooting schedule so we only film Saturday's and Sundays." The optics on this are terrible and why she erases past proofs of it while creating new present evidence for her divided loyalties makes no sense.

5) It's four years in and she still seems to have only a fleeting understanding of their backer demographics.

6) CIG is planning to branch into Cosplay Merch? Did I get that right? As with the $550 Hotas, it seems like their Merch plans are aimed squarely at the most delusional pockets in their ginormous whale pod. It seems a dimwitted plan when Star Citizen and the PTU are set to languish for a year while its all-hands-on-deck for Squadron 42. The growing discontent of former complacent whales are likely to doom this tactic. Why am I going to want a $200 leather bomber jacket with stupid patches on it when the ships I've spent a fortune on are unflyable or having features whittled away for expedience's sake?

7) Pop-Up parties at Gamescon! A huge booth sponsored by Intel! Sounds like their pinching pennies for a change. What might that mean?

Honestly there's more to chew over and I'm sure AP, Neurotic Jew or others probably see stuff I'm missing but those are my quick takeaways on a content light, drama light, dysfunction light appearance. The best thing that might be said about it is that backers not paying attention might find little to worry about or question, save for the fact that she's been saying the same basic things for years.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

runsamok posted:

Ultra Violet does not enjoy that mental image. Nor curry, but she loves cheesecake & yoghurt!

Your cat is a High Programmer?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i really want batgirl to drop some absolute gotcha journalism nonsense on lesnick next time hes on and watch that rear end in a top hat sweat an ocean

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Do we have a StimStaffel tag yet?
I want a StimStaffel Tag!

• Locked thread