Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Pretty sure only Soviet ships have a red star on the side of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

MaliciousOnion posted:

I'm pretty sure that tank is a WW2 Nazi Panther.

Nope, T34 mod. '43

The Chopper is a yank Apache Longbow, but the jet... Some bastard child of a Tomcat, Hornet, Fulcrum and this cute little guy

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
This is Australia's chance to bring back the battleship. It'll go great with our F-35's.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
If I looked harder I might find one closer.

At least these guys don't look like inhuman death machines unlike the dude at the centre of our signal of hate. Imagine if the Indonesians published something like this. Yeah that's right. OUTRAGED OUTRAGE!!!!!!!!!!

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Paingod556 posted:

Nope, T34 mod. '43

The Chopper is a yank Apache Longbow, but the jet... Some bastard child of a Tomcat, Hornet, Fulcrum and this cute little guy

The jet's an Su35 isn't it?
I hope so anyway, they are probably a shitload more airworthy than the F35

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008
My brother reckons Jarrod Bleijie is a shoe in for Mal Broughs vacancy - talk about failing upwards..

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

gay picnic defence posted:

The jet's an Su35 isn't it?
I hope so anyway, they are probably a shitload more airworthy than the F35

I'd say the wings aren't big enough and it doesn't have the droopy nose. They're also loving massive in general and the mainstay of our biggest rivals (India, China, Indo and Malaysia) so using it for 'Straya Strong is stupid on every level

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Paingod556 posted:

I'd say the wings aren't big enough and it doesn't have the droopy nose. They're also loving massive in general and the mainstay of our biggest rivals (India, China, Indo and Malaysia) so using it for 'Straya Strong is stupid on every level
You can detect actual levels of not stupid in that poster?

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012
Maybe the poster is just highly stylised propaganda art that wasn't really intended to represent reality or particular models of jets/helicopters etc.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Cartoon posted:

They remembered to photoshop the top half of an Australian flag onto the guys shoulder?

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Cartoon posted:

The T-34 is an extremely good tank?

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Cartoon posted:

Aside from the tank, it's vague enough or specifically Western enough not to be obvious that the designer did zero research and put zero thought into the implications.

At least the sub is definitely a Collins class, so there's that

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Skellybones posted:

The T-34 is an extremely good tank?
Which would explain why we are upgrading from the Abrams to it.

DAAS Kapitalist
Nov 9, 2005

Jackass: The Mad Monk

Don't try this at home.

Tokamak posted:

It is an open secret that hand picking produce is performed by vulnerable workers who are taken advantage of. This happens all across the western world, and not only in Australia.

In the US picking is largely done by illegal immigrants, which leads to hilarity when politicians in southern states crack down without thinking it through and the crops rot.

http://mic.com/articles/8272/alabama-illegal-immigrant-crackdown-destroys-farm-business#.85iC4PP6Q

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
I think the jet is Starscream.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

quote:

Former prime minister Tony Abbott takes a swipe at China, saying the communist nation does not share the same "values" as Australia.

he still wants to start a war.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Tony Abbott probably dreams about British Imperialism.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Hey people who've done uni recently, is it common to have weird irrelevant assessments?

One of my tasks is literally "draw your feelings" for 1% of the total grade, and there are a couple of other ones such as participation as a research projects and giving course feedback.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Zenithe posted:

Hey people who've done uni recently, is it common to have weird irrelevant assessments?

One of my tasks is literally "draw your feelings" for 1% of the total grade, and there are a couple of other ones such as participation as a research projects and giving course feedback.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Zenithe posted:

The answer could only ever be "it depends". For example (I do psychology, so these are some examples/experiences), you may be asked to draw your feelings in a course which deals with interpersonal skills because part of the skillset is to be able and confortable with "looking inwards". I mean it may seem stupid or weird to you but actually not everyone is so self-reflective and this shows in interactions between people.

Research participation can be pretty important because a) it introduces undergrads to being a participant and what is usually involved in an actual experiment and b) provides the University with a pool of subjects to do research/pilot studies on. There's a whole thing about using undergrads as subjects (they tend not to be reflective of the general population). I also think there's a bit of a hazing/rite of passage mentality, being that everyone before was subjected to being a lab rat so by golly you'll be a lab rat aswell.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Recoome posted:

The answer could only ever be "it depends". For example (I do psychology, so these are some examples/experiences), you may be asked to draw your feelings in a course which deals with interpersonal skills because part of the skillset is to be able and confortable with "looking inwards". I mean it may seem stupid or weird to you but actually not everyone is so self-reflective and this shows in interactions between people.

It's for stats.

quote:

Research participation can be pretty important because a) it introduces undergrads to being a participant and what is usually involved in an actual experiment and b) provides the University with a pool of subjects to do research/pilot studies on. There's a whole thing about using undergrads as subjects (they tend not to be reflective of the general population). I also think there's a bit of a hazing/rite of passage mentality, being that everyone before was subjected to being a lab rat so by golly you'll be a lab rat aswell.

I guess I'm surprised it counts for marks, as there is no learning or reflection criteria, just rock up for 6 hours and get that ticked off. It would make sense to have some kind of non-graded pass to me, but to actually count seems a tad off.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
Participation marks were a thing when I did stats, mostly because the lectures were boring as gently caress and people wouldn't rock up to them otherwise.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/feb/26/bid-by-belgian-entrepreneur-to-take-over-holden-plant-collapses

In news that doesn't really surprise anyone, the idea of some Belgians taking over the Holden car plant in South Australia has collapsed.

RIP all those jobs, especially in the component industry and I guess RIP LNP in South Australia

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE
JP Services

Become a JP

Congratulatory Message

State Flag.

These are some of the critical services that my state member is sending me pamphlets about.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Zenithe posted:

At my institution, course feedback is voluntary and anonymous. Seems like it could be problematic having course feedback tied to one's grade. I haven't done stats at my uni, but I'm pretty sure they have a "draw your feelings" 1% grade task too.

Also my school specifically has a big participation element to the marking, because tutorials rely on group discussion and participation in the thought exercises to demonstrate that individuals are actually taking on the knowledge. Past first-year courses (which get a lot of people not staying in the area and just taking it as an elective) a bunch of the smaller participation stuff tends to fall away (outside of attending tutorials and completing homework).

The Narrator fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Feb 27, 2016

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Zenithe posted:

It's for stats.

I guess I'm surprised it counts for marks, as there is no learning or reflection criteria, just rock up for 6 hours and get that ticked off. It would make sense to have some kind of non-graded pass to me, but to actually count seems a tad off.

Eh I mean it's more common in the intro courses (or social psychology, where the group discussions/analysis were graded) but you shouldn't see the easier poo poo after 2nd year or so.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
So how does the inevitable Trumpenreich affect Australia's relations with the US? I can see Trump being the kind of person who would say 'Nah, gently caress 'em' if an ally were to find themselves in need of military assistance for one.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
I'm just finishing up David Hicks book Guantanamo and it's hard not to see parallels:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-02-26/oliver-bridgeman-stranded-syria-federal-gov-cancel-passport/7204250

quote:

Queensland teen Oliver Bridgeman stranded in Syria after Federal Government cancels his passport By Josh Bavas Updated about 8 hours ago

Queensland teenager Oliver Bridgeman is stranded in Syria after the Federal Government cancelled his passport.

Key points:

Mr Bridgeman has previously denied joining a terrorist group, saying he was doing aid work in Indonesia
Government has not revealed what he did wrong
Julie Bishop said she would not comment on "individual cases"
The 19-year-old from Toowoomba left Australia in March last year saying he was doing aid work in Indonesia.

He travelled to Syria but he has previously denied joining a terrorist organisation. His lawyer Alex Jones said the Government had not spelled out what the teenager had done wrong. "As far as we're aware, there's no allegation that he's done anything untoward or anything illegal whatsoever and that the basis for these types of decisions are usually on the basis of security risks," Mr Jones said. "However, without any allegation that he's done anything untoward, we simply can't understand this decision." Mr Jones said Mr Bridgeman was disillusioned with the process. "On the face of it we can't understand the logic behind the decision," he said. "He was attempting to cooperate fully with the authorities. He'd told them that he would make himself available should they wish to speak with him; he told them his travel plans to return. They were well aware of everything, we were in negotiation with authorities."

He said Syria was becoming more volatile.

"The situation over there is becoming quite intense with the situation with the Russian Government and their actions at the moment so he's somewhat rattled," he said. Mr Jones claimed his client had been told to surrender his cancelled passport to the nearest consular post in Turkey. But he said there was no legal way for Mr Bridgeman to cross the border from Syria, and that if he did he faced up to 10 years in prison. Foreign Affairs Minister Julie Bishop said she would "not comment on individual cases or intelligence and security matters". "The Government has consistently – and in the strongest terms – discouraged Australians from travelling to Iraq and Syria to participate in hostile activities," she said. "Australians travelling to Syria or Iraq not only risk committing offences, but may be kidnapped, seriously injured or even killed as a result. "The Australian Government cannot facilitate the safe passage of people out of the conflict zones."

An appeal against the decision to cancel Mr Bridgeman's passport will be filed in a Brisbane court on Monday.
Apparently he was teaching Syrian kids to play rugby league so gently caress that guy.

-/-

Even after trying to wrap my head around the likely consequences of President Trump I can't imagine a single way it makes anything better. For an example of my confusion I was trying to convince myself that the recent defence white paper was actually a clever dogwhistle message to Washington announcing clearly who's side we'd picked. Unfortunately even that doesn't explain the deep levels of stupid involved. Even quite young kids know that you can tell Dylan he's your BFF forever without actually pushing Bethany into the toilet. So in specific answer to your question :nyan:

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Trump is not going to win the US election. No Republican candidate is going to win the US election.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Cartoon posted:

I'm just finishing up David Hicks book Guantanamo and it's hard not to see parallels:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-02-26/oliver-bridgeman-stranded-syria-federal-gov-cancel-passport/7204250
Apparently he was teaching Syrian kids to play rugby league so gently caress that guy.

-/-

If the kid is harmed or killed or something and it's because the government cancelled his passport then it's really hosed.

Like it seems so bizarre if he's done something illegal allow him to get home but like lmao at the prospect of this dude trying to get to Turkey from Syria right now

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

freebooter posted:

Trump is not going to win the US election. No Republican candidate is going to win the US election.

I like your wishful thinking. If it helps, Trump might end up having to testify in court during the general election too. If it's Hillary v Trump, both might have criminal charges laid against them during the presidential race. :allears:

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
ahaha Auspol reads one Matt Taibbi story and is now "trump is unstoppable waaah"

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Birdstrike posted:

ahaha Auspol reads one Matt Taibbi story and is now "trump is unstoppable waaah"

Nah the polls really don't favour him. He'll still probably win against Clinton though. She's unlikely to have many Sanders supporters turnout to vote for her.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I remember the conventional wisdom after the 2012 election was that the Republicans were basically demographically hosed unless they started appealing to Latino voters, which none of them did, so it was looking like a Democratic lock, especially given how useless and unliked the entire squabbling mess of Repubalican candidates were.

But then Trump has that sort of populist appeal and is drawing in heaps of blue collar workers who might traditionally have voted Democrat or not voted at all. So maybe he does have a chance. On the other hand maybe there are a lot of informed people who are terrified enough of a Trump presidency that they'll turn out to vote not so much in favour of Sanders/Clinton, but rather against Trump.

It really is interesting - I noticed this in the UK election - how not having compulsory voting makes it much harder to predict how elections will go. In Australia swing voters are really the only ones who matter, whereas in other countries there's also the whole race of trying to get non-voters to get off their asses.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Can anyone knowledgeable in the matter comment on whether George Pell ever did anything wrong?

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Can anyone knowledgeable in the matter comment on whether George Pell ever did anything wrong?

As someone who knows Pell quite well, he probably hasn't done anything illegal but the Church has a lot of exemptions. If there was such a thing as a pub test in court he would definitely be an accessory to child rape.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Rubio is screwing this up, he just had a debate where he made all sorts of points, and Trump just blows it over with a water bottle joke about Rubio sweating. Now Trump has two Governors endorse him today, one of them Christie. Conventional wisdom is failing, he keeps not losing. But he's only looking good versus other GOP candidates so far.

freebooter posted:

It really is interesting - I noticed this in the UK election - how not having compulsory voting makes it much harder to predict how elections will go. In Australia swing voters are really the only ones who matter, whereas in other countries there's also the whole race of trying to get non-voters to get off their asses.

It really is galvanizing both sides in the US, which is probably going to favour Clinton but who knows. So far the evangelicals haven't really decided for Trump (rather against Cruz) but if they feel threatened by Clinton enough, they'll turn the general into a crusade if it comes down to Trump and Clinton. And as you say, everyone else is energized to vote against him.

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

Word cloud for January:

Better late than never

2016: J

2015: JFMAMJJASOND

2014: JFMAMJJASOND

2013: AMJJASOND

Highlights from last month's thread:

ewe2 posted:

Predictably the CPG is now going full cry on Briggs side. He "did the right fringe have written him off as a traitor. This controversy just hurts Turnbull, the new line is all about attacking him. You can imagine the kind of idiot), and Steve Kates about the electoral consequences with an entirely different set of idiots who are especially mad at Xenophon for being too popular in SA and threatening 3-4 Lib seats as a result.

Some days you just want to cast the first part of the country.

What do you mean "if"? Where have you been, under a rock, they're running it now. Their little mates in the original lyrics, not the 1984 version.

edit: Cmon man you forgot verse 2, are you a good little colonial or not?

Birb Katter posted:

Are busses that happen better or worse than trains that don't? Sounds like the bar that Briggs tripped on though. No one is going to be freaking amazing. Obviously they can't do poo poo about the copper if that is for sure.

freebooter posted:

There is just no way the majority of the party is going to vote Abbott back in as leader in this term of government. Even if Turnbull got drunk on Anzac Day and took a piss on a war memorial it would be happy to see them all year. Ditto easter eggs

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Rich things hosed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Cartoon posted:

Just one quick touch of the poop...

http://www.alp.org.au/policy_commitments

The ALP don't seem to have a counter terrorism policy.

Wait!

https://d3n8a8pro7vhmx.cloudfront.n....pdf?1455234762

Well that's clearly a deal breaker! Changed my v.... That amounts to nothing but a bunch of motherhood statements that have been heavily contradicted by ALP actions in parliament. So lets see, Greens who have a sensible and coherent policy on everything covered here, which they stand by or a bunch of turncoat chuckle fucks who would sell your granny for a pack of Winnie Blues? Fucken tough choice!

-/-

Anyway I interrupt our fascination with Counter Terrorism policy to bring you:

:dogbutton:

:australia: WE ARE SO VERY VERY hosed :australia:

Is this a real headline? Cant even get your nazi propaganda right, thats a very soviet looking tank.

• Locked thread