Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Microwaves Mom posted:

Little disappointed its this early because we'll have some random probably win as no ones figured everything out yet, but hey at least it could be a new face! I just don't know if they're going to get murdered at CPT or not.

CWC is only a ranking event, not a premier one, so whoever wins doesn't automatically get a spot in the Capcom Cup, if that's what you meant. They just get a sizable chunk of CPT points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTnD_kaVWRk

In this episode I lose really embarassingly to a series of Kens who get progressively worse. This takes me from almost getting to Ultra bronze into a rage spiral where I kept playing for two hours afterwards and dropped another 200 LP.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I haven't played a fighter game more than super casually since Street Fighter II was big in arcades and on SNES. I am very very very bad at these games. If I buy this and lose enough times, can I reasonably expect to eventually find opponents equally as bad? I have a PS4 controller that I use for both my PS4 and my PC. Does one system have an advantage over the other?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

I haven't played a fighter game more than super casually since Street Fighter II was big in arcades and on SNES. I am very very very bad at these games. If I buy this and lose enough times, can I reasonably expect to eventually find opponents equally as bad? I have a PS4 controller that I use for both my PS4 and my PC. Does one system have an advantage over the other?

Depends on your PC. If you have a solid gaming PC, then you will see better graphical performance than PS4. If you have a potato, then a PS4 will do better.

Also, there are so many bads online.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
if youre as bad as the worst players in online sf then you probably cant read or write

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Are there PC mods other than the one that lets you watch R Mika's butt slap

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Help Im Alive posted:

Are there PC mods other than the one that lets you watch R Mika's butt slap

There's one that lets you see Cammy's vegeta

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
And one that lets Laura's bare rear end hang out

croutonZA
Jan 5, 2011
I don't think it's a good idea speculating about a possible round 2 of DLC characters until we find out how the game's selling imo.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

The crossplay really adds to the size of the player pool, so it's your best option for the genre if you want to fight other bads

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

croutonZA posted:

I don't think it's a good idea speculating about a possible round 2 of DLC characters until we find out how the game's selling imo.
there is absolutely no way this game is performing THAT poorly, plus the DLC characters are gonna be a good money-spinner for capcom especially given TOs will have to buy them for every station at every tournament and anyone who cares about the game beyond the first month or two is gonna have to either play a lot of matches or spend real money

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

croutonZA posted:

Below expectations apparently

http://shoryuken.com/2016/02/24/street-fighter-vs-first-week-sales-fail-to-match-street-fighter-ivs-in-japan/

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Agoat posted:

Any Florida Goons here? We have a scene in Winter Haven and I'll buy you a beer make it out here.

Buy me a drink

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Okita posted:

I'm having a hard time telling if Momochi is actually hit confirming Ken's b.MP alone or if he just knows it's going to hit in certain situations.

He does it a couple of times in round 1, but here's the one I was looking at(happens at 1:05):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6-NB5MgJKk&t=63s

It looks like he might be punishing the chun dash after the blocked kikoken. Does he just know that it often comes after the kikoken so he pre-emptively throws out the b.MP and confirms the dash + b.MP together?

The chun dash is 15F, the b.MP is 21F from start to finish. I could see him confirming those two together, but if he's confirming the b.MP alone, jesus christ that's inhuman.

Momochi has played a lot of street fighter.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Alright, thanks, I'll try to just drill until I can do it. I've been trying to keep wrist motion to a minimum but yeah, I can't control the stick finely enough without my wrist to hit the switch, go to neutral and hit the switch again fast enough to dash, if I go all the way to the gate it doesn't return to neutral fast enough.

For the record, this is how I hold it:

I grip my stick like I'm stroking off a big dick.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

croutonZA posted:

Put in Q, Yang, Makoto and Uhhh Urien!!!!

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

I'm going to be really pedantic here and I apologize.

Selling less than SF4 and selling below expectations are two different things. We don't know what Capcom's expectations were for the game, and digital sales will definitely eat into any perceived lack that may seem evident from those numbers.

Besides which, there are lots of games on that list with numbers below SF5 that still went on to have multiple revisions and an active player base for years after release.

SFV might not set blockbuster sales numbers, but Season 2 DLC is still the safest safe bet you can make. Vegas wouldn't even bother with those odds.

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I am excited for post-Shadaloo Sagat.

Didn't he leave Shadaloo between 2 and 4?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Is spec mode going to be in the first update? I have a weird idea for an SFV LP but it would probably require that.

croutonZA
Jan 5, 2011

Sarchasm posted:

We don't know what Capcom's expectations were for the game

2 million by the end of march apparently. http://www.gamespot.com/articles/street-fighter-5-ps4-and-pc-release-window-sales-t/1100-6427197/

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Is spec mode going to be in the first update? I have a weird idea for an SFV LP but it would probably require that.

Yup, coming in March update.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Sarchasm posted:

I'm going to be really pedantic here and I apologize.

Selling less than SF4 and selling below expectations are two different things. We don't know what Capcom's expectations were for the game, and digital sales will definitely eat into any perceived lack that may seem evident from those numbers.

Besides which, there are lots of games on that list with numbers below SF5 that still went on to have multiple revisions and an active player base for years after release.

SFV might not set blockbuster sales numbers, but Season 2 DLC is still the safest safe bet you can make. Vegas wouldn't even bother with those odds.

Yes more DLC is a safe bet regardless of launch sales numbers, as with no planned Super/Ultra revisions their revenue stream from the game would die off pretty quickly without it.

According to Steamspy SFV has sold 111,585 copies on Steam so far. Not huge numbers for such a high-profile title, but a decent chunk considering it's a fighting game on PC (and MKX just barely broke 500k over several months.)

Double Bill fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Feb 26, 2016

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Oh, ok, that's much better than I imagined when you said "between thumb and forefinger". I was imagining someone holding the ball top like they were trying to pick a grape from the stem or something.

Fereydun posted:

akumas vtrigger obviously would be shin lvl 2 akuma

Uh, no, obviously it would be Rare Akuma.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Srice posted:

The crossplay really adds to the size of the player pool, so it's your best option for the genre if you want to fight other bads

Ok cool. I picked it up on PC and have been messing around with Zangief. I have a feeling I am going to have to buy an arcade stick soon. Otherwise the analog stick on my controller is going to get beat the gently caress up.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Use the D-Pad, not an analog stick. There's more precision on your inputs there.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Welp, now I know that ex cannon drill goes through fireballs and that's how Cammy gets in. Derp. Wish I knew that last week. Spin Knuckle is hilariously punishable.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I hold the stick the same way. It's similar to the "wineglass" but angled because I think the wineglass with my palm up towards the sky is really uncomfortable.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
So now that the game's been out for a week and a half (though this also applies to the betas), I have a question: how do people feel about (mostly) no chip deaths? I've loved the idea since it was announced, as it's allowed for some pretty good comebacks during my own games as well as amazing comebacks during streams, though some people here didn't like it. Has your opinion changed?

the Gaffe
Jul 4, 2011

you gotta believe dawg
I love no chip death. It's made for the most exciting moments.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

bhsman posted:

So now that the game's been out for a week and a half (though this also applies to the betas), I have a question: how do people feel about (mostly) no chip deaths? I've loved the idea since it was announced, as it's allowed for some pretty good comebacks during my own games as well as amazing comebacks during streams, though some people here didn't like it. Has your opinion changed?

It's mostly good, but goddamn is it frustrating when you've got a guy down to a pixel for 20 seconds and then lose from half health because he confirms a super off a counterpoke.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Mechafunkzilla posted:

It's mostly good, but goddamn is it frustrating when you've got a guy down to a pixel for 20 seconds and then lose from half health because he confirms a super off a counterpoke.

Yeah, it definitely puts some tension on you as a player in the game, but as the audience I think it allows for some really amazing gameplay. That said, with how easy it is to gain bar in this game, I imagine many will sit on their lead and hold their super just to ensure a chip-out death.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
it sucks

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
Capcom finally seems to have listed the ports for CFN.

http://www.capcom.co.jp/support/faq/platform_ps4_sfv_0100678.html

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

bhsman posted:

but as the audience I think it allows for some really amazing gameplay.

I think it makes the matches really silly, actually, from a spectator standpoint. Chip out deaths were not a problem before, and now end of matches are even more silly.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

bhsman posted:

Yeah, it definitely puts some tension on you as a player in the game, but as the audience I think it allows for some really amazing gameplay. That said, with how easy it is to gain bar in this game, I imagine many will sit on their lead and hold their super just to ensure a chip-out death.

It does feel like pretty big disadvantage for chars with throw supers. In my opinion R. Mika and Gief should be able to chip out with the mic and flex from their V-skills :colbert:

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Feb 26, 2016

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?

Mechafunkzilla posted:

It does feel like pretty big disadvantage for chars with throw supers. In my opinion R. Mika and Gief should be able to chip out with the mic and flex from their V-skills :colbert:

I'm reasonably certain gief can keep absorbing things with v-skill, hp and ex bear grab, even at zero health.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

Microwaves Mom posted:

Little disappointed its this early because we'll have some random probably win as no ones figured everything out yet, but hey at least it could be a new face! I just don't know if they're going to get murdered at CPT or not.

Could be gootecks just like the early days of SF4, lmao.

bhsman posted:

I still think it's lovely, but looking back now it's the least of this game's worries. If I was put in the position where I would've been chipped to death normally, then I deserve to lose the round. I don't find comebacks from it amazing either. It's a lot less to overcome so the comeback is a lot less meaningful. But yeah, I dunno, to remove it they'd probably remove grey health chip from normals or make moves stun less, so whatever.

Constellation I fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Feb 26, 2016

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

I'm reasonably certain gief can keep absorbing things with v-skill, hp and ex bear grab, even at zero health.

They're saying that the chip damage dealt by Mika's and Gief's V-skills should kill.

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008

Constellation I posted:

Could be gootecks just like the early days of SF4, lmao.

I still think it's lovely, but looking back now it's the least of this game's worries. If I was put in the position where I would've been chipped to death normally, then I deserve to lose the round. I don't find comebacks from it amazing either. It's a lot less to overcome so the comeback is a lot less meaningful. But yeah, I dunno, to remove it they'd probably remove grey health chip from normals or make moves stun less, so whatever.

Gootecks has actually looked pretty good early, he beat Ricki Ortiz at WNF.

The no chip kills thing is whatever, it's pretty benign as far as comeback mechanics go, way better than Ultras. Plus, you're already seeing people go for that Critical Art chip kill whenever they get it a lot, so it's fine.

Mr. Kerstbal
Sep 2, 2011

ORIGINAL MONKEY FUCKER
The matchmaking in this game loving sucks rear end!!!!

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Mr. Kerstbal posted:

The matchmaking in this game loving sucks rear end!!!!

I don't necessarily disagree, but what's your problem specifically?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009
No chip death makes things artificially tense and often annoying. That said I don't mind it cause when you kill with a stupid cinematic super on block it looks goofy and probably makes the other guy real mad.

I really wish this game had more normalized blockstun/hitstun/hitstop like Xrd. I know all this poo poo is punishable and gently caress up anyway because I'm supposed to press the button at whatever arbitrary timing a certain move requires, and the buffer helps me punish as often as it gives me raw special moves. I know practice and playing more will help but it still feels janky and on purpose in terrible ways.