Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
So is Army gonna pay/ chip in for the surgery if you need it? Going in on april and getting rid of glasses would be nice indeed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gooble Gobble
May 2, 2011

One of us
Anyone who has applied for a Fed job while still in: What do you put for the number of veterans preference points if you haven't been given a disability percentage yet? Just don't count it? I'll be out in 4 months, so I'm filling out some applications and unsure of what to put.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

MurderBot posted:

I regret never getting Lasik or PRK/whatever when I got out. I'm an idiot and plan to go back in, so during OCS i'll be wearing those god drat glasses.

My eyes are both -5 .something which means each would cost around 3k to fix....per eye.

When are you going to OCS? Fortunately OCS has a new commander now and it seems like it's less lovely since I've been seeing guys in black ascots around on the weekends doing things other than just getting haircuts.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Valtonen posted:

So is Army gonna pay/ chip in for the surgery if you need it? Going in on april and getting rid of glasses would be nice indeed

Yes. I got PRK for free in the Army. Some get denied for some reason or another like astigmatism but if your eyes are ok you'll get it for free. I also got a tooth implant.

Overall I've had 8 surgeries or procedures that required me to be knocked out, and never paid a dime.

Gooble Gobble posted:

Anyone who has applied for a Fed job while still in: What do you put for the number of veterans preference points if you haven't been given a disability percentage yet? Just don't count it? I'll be out in 4 months, so I'm filling out some applications and unsure of what to put.

They should have internships that you can do while still in the Army. I'd recommend this because you get some awesome experience, and a real good shot at a job when you get out. Also no fucki army stuff. Just being an intern at whatever fed place you want.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Mustang posted:

When are you going to OCS? Fortunately OCS has a new commander now and it seems like it's less lovely since I've been seeing guys in black ascots around on the weekends doing things other than just getting haircuts.

I'm going through Marine OCS *most likely*, and if I don't get selected I had considered guard OCS. Shooting for end of May report date.

Either way it's probably not gonna be great

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Go Air Force gently caress the hardcore hoorah bullshit

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Or do the smart thing and get the gently caress out. While officer bullshit definitely has a better taste, at the end of the day you're still eating poo poo.

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man

MurderBot posted:

I'm going through Marine OCS *most likely*, and if I don't get selected I had considered guard OCS. Shooting for end of May report date.

Why?

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer

quote:

Army Thread - you fuckers are never getting out, God won't help you in this one

:tipshat: You're welcome thread

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Aren't there some posts that require you to wear eyepro for PT? Or is that another one of those army legends

Justin Tyme fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Feb 26, 2016

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Found out my old NCO who ETSed apparently missed the military... at least they went Air Force, this time. I guess.

edit: Someone linked me to some Vietnam era lighters. This is my favorite:

Aranan fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Feb 26, 2016

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Aranan posted:

No worries. "Get rid of the glasses" is solid advice for a ton of poo poo in the Army, or even just physical activities outside of it. Deadlifts in particular usually result in my glasses falling off of my face, so I just do it mostly blind. Luckily that's not a big deal.

gently caress the title. No way. 455 days. Uuuugh.

I paid out of pocket for PRK before I deployed and it was probably the best money I've ever spent.

Totally didn't tell them about that at the SRP, though.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I hope everyone has a good safety brief day today

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
gently caress yeah, done with night shift. For a while at least.

Now to somehow make it through this day without falling asleep. The Army is hell on my Zs.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Aranan posted:

gently caress yeah, done with night shift. For a while at least.

Now to somehow make it through this day without falling asleep. The Army is hell on my Zs.

I jumped at every possible chance to take night shift. You get hosed with soooo much less. "What? Oh sure I'd love to help you with [ASININE TASK X] but welp it's sleep time for me laters!"

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

I hope everyone has a good safety brief day today

screw you top im loving that skank raw

Whipped Buttcheeks
Jul 25, 2007
Chairborne Ranger

SumYungGui posted:

Or do the smart thing and get the gently caress out. While officer bullshit definitely has a better taste, at the end of the day you're still eating poo poo.

Yeah but getting out as an officer if you decide you're done isn't all that hard. Getting denied promotion to 1LT and getting passed over for promotion twice to Captain will get you shown the door. Being incompetent as enlisted only gets you this.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
i would love to be an officer so I can have mandatory fun on new years eve hanging out with the commander and sucking his dick. so much dick sucking activities in the officer world, its unreal

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

What the hell do you have to do to not get picked up for 1LT?

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

SumYungGui posted:

I jumped at every possible chance to take night shift. You get hosed with soooo much less. "What? Oh sure I'd love to help you with [ASININE TASK X] but welp it's sleep time for me laters!"

Normally, yes. I've had night shifts and swing shifts and they were glorious because nobody is around to gently caress with you.

However, this situation was somewhat different and it blew. Trust me.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Mustang posted:

I knew one person who managed to pull it off, and it was a comedy of errors and terrible judgement. This was back when BOLC II was a thing, and during that course the guy decided that he would exceed his mileage pass without telling any of his friends, get arrested somewhere in FL (some spring break beach, either Daytona or Panama City Beach) for being drunk in public, and while being arrested decided that resisting arrest by punching a cop in the face was a good life choice. He picked up a GOMR and an article 15, I think. The cadre made a big deal about how it takes a 2-star general to give an LT an article 15, though his "punishment" was probably something tame and stupid.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I saw some S2 or maybe S3 2LT have a mental break down in Iraq. He just dropped a release packet and played guitar the rest of the deployment. It was pretty cool. Pretty sure he didn't advance.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Mustang posted:

I don't even know. This was back in 07 and on, but I watched peers make O2 and O3 on the then-normal timeline of 18 months for O2 and 36 months for O3, despite DUIs, GOMARs for curfew violation in Korea, infantry LTs who couldn't hack ranger school and were assigned as IBOLC training company XOs, shooting up entire buses of civilians (and having it brushed under the rug obvs). *in Afghanistan, trying to shoot up a car full of civilians during LP/OP poo poo, trying to call for fire on his own platoon (that guy did lose his platoon for that)...

I guess there was the other company's commander, back at FOB Airborne, who presided over detainee abuse and got an OTH discharge. But he was just a fall guy. My friend who narc'd him got rated top lieutenant in the battalion and sent off to ranger batt.

Zeris fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Feb 26, 2016

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I had a roommate for about a month when I first moved into my apartment that was a 2LT that had been in for over 2 years. He told me he was an armor officer when I first met him and I thought he might be in the 3rd ID but later he told me he worked for a LTC and mostly from home at that. I later found out through some NCO's that he never passed ABOLC, not sure why it took so long to kick him out. Dude wasn't even branch qualified.

So he was getting paid as a 2LT while working from home for who knows how long. Never once saw him wearing a uniform. Granted I only knew his last month in the Army so I'm guessing they had him doing bitch work after he got dropped from ABOLC for failing too many times.

Once he found out he was getting kicked out he started cleaning all his TA-50. I was in my room and it started sounding like something in the apartment was about to explode or some poo poo. Turns out he put his IOTV in the washer, with the plates still in it no less.

Also he found out his girlfriend was pregnant as he was getting out so he married her soon after and had the delusion that some oil company would hire him for a management position and he'd get paid big bucks since he's a former army officer.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Yeah UCMJ actions can hold up promotion to O2. They're passing people over for promotion to O3 for not having enough OERs despite complaining about how they have such a shortage of junior captains.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

Mustang posted:

I had a roommate for about a month when I first moved into my apartment that was a 2LT that had been in for over 2 years. He told me he was an armor officer when I first met him and I thought he might be in the 3rd ID but later he told me he worked for a LTC and mostly from home at that. I later found out through some NCO's that he never passed ABOLC, not sure why it took so long to kick him out. Dude wasn't even branch qualified.

So he was getting paid as a 2LT while working from home for who knows how long. Never once saw him wearing a uniform. Granted I only knew his last month in the Army so I'm guessing they had him doing bitch work after he got dropped from ABOLC for failing too many times.

Once he found out he was getting kicked out he started cleaning all his TA-50. I was in my room and it started sounding like something in the apartment was about to explode or some poo poo. Turns out he put his IOTV in the washer, with the plates still in it no less.

Also he found out his girlfriend was pregnant as he was getting out so he married her soon after and had the delusion that some oil company would hire him for a management position and he'd get paid big bucks since he's a former army officer.

dude should have enlisted instead

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

Mike-o posted:

dude should have enlisted instead

I was about to say, you sure he was a noble?

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Just found out that the pre ranger armor LT platoons original scheduled training for today consisted of a 11 mile ruck out to a land nav course, 5-10 miles of land nav with a ruck and then rucking the 11 miles back.

The entire platoon pretty much mutinied. Ended up being significantly less miles to ruck.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Mustang posted:

Just found out that the pre ranger armor LT platoons original scheduled training for today consisted of a 11 mile ruck out to a land nav course, 5-10 miles of land nav with a ruck and then rucking the 11 miles back.

The entire platoon pretty much mutinied. Ended up being significantly less miles to ruck.

smdftb if you're still in

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!

Mustang posted:

GOMORs and subsequent Article 15s for alcohol incidents and drug offenses, really. Even then, if they get picked up they'll be first on the chopping block for O-3. I have a peer who had UCMJ against him for some shenanigans involving his wife and he had to delay pinning O-3 for at least 6 months.

Mustang posted:

Since the Army Marksmanship Unit is here at Benning there's been a push for LT's to go through some extra training thing they put on but I haven't had a chance to go yet. The guys that have been say it's great training, I just hope I can get to do it before I PCS.

Apparently dudes that were shooting marksman were shooting expert by the time they were done, plus they do a bunch of extra stuff that I can't remember off the top of my head. Supposed to be a really laid back course too.

Most likely its just common sense shooting in the sense that they show everyone that the Army's methods of shooting aren't necessarily correct (i.e. putting your nose on the charging handle every time to acquire a consistent sight picture). It's a technique and an Army 'standard' but by no means does it work for everyone.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

There's a bunch of 36 month captains in the HQ I'm a part of and they keep asking us when we're getting promoted, like a bunch of grandparents at a wedding.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Mustang posted:

laughin' my fuckin' rear end off, doesn't poo poo like that need approval from the BC anyway since there's so many risks involved? Oh well, get hosed, that's what you deserve for still being in.

Also anything put on by the AMU is legit, friend of mine went to a traveling SDM course and they pretty much make you experts with everything to do with the ACOG. Who would have thought that being trained to actually use the equipment the way it was intended would make people better at Army?

Like, just think about all those buttons and functions on an ASIP that you never used.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Justin Tyme posted:

laughin' my fuckin' rear end off, doesn't poo poo like that need approval from the BC anyway since there's so many risks involved? Oh well, get hosed, that's what you deserve for still being in.

yea that sounds like a good way to break a bunch of booterbars

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
i hope no one has to go in tomorrow for accountability :ohdear:

iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST
Late to the party but all the courses the AMU dudes put on are totally legit and worth sending your guys to. Just look them up in ATTRS or whatever it was called. Also, smdftb

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

i hope no one has to go in tomorrow for accountability :ohdear:

gently caress you I'm on pass don't trigger me like this you mother fucker

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Triggs posted:

GOMORs and subsequent Article 15s for alcohol incidents and drug offenses, really. Even then, if they get picked up they'll be first on the chopping block for O-3. I have a peer who had UCMJ against him for some shenanigans involving his wife and he had to delay pinning O-3 for at least 6 months.

Most likely its just common sense shooting in the sense that they show everyone that the Army's methods of shooting aren't necessarily correct (i.e. putting your nose on the charging handle every time to acquire a consistent sight picture). It's a technique and an Army 'standard' but by no means does it work for everyone.

Maaaan I was shooting expert and sharpshooter before I started doing this. No loving wonder.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I'm one of those weirdos who scores better with iron sights than with an M68 or ACOG.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Icon Of Sin posted:

I knew one person who managed to pull it off, and it was a comedy of errors and terrible judgement. This was back when BOLC II was a thing, and during that course the guy decided that he would exceed his mileage pass without telling any of his friends, get arrested somewhere in FL (some spring break beach, either Daytona or Panama City Beach) for being drunk in public, and while being arrested decided that resisting arrest by punching a cop in the face was a good life choice. He picked up a GOMR and an article 15, I think. The cadre made a big deal about how it takes a 2-star general to give an LT an article 15, though his "punishment" was probably something tame and stupid.

Officer's pretty much all have to have general court marshals.

Although all your past sins are erased upon promotion to captain. Seriously, everything get's masked so if you screwed up once it doesn't ruin you forever.

I don't think you can make general officer without at least one giant screw up in your career. I was working with some old engineer general a few years back and he had found some old DDT (it's a powder and was kept in shakers) in an ancient supply closet and thought it was foot powder, so he passed it out to his company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

spacetoaster posted:

Officer's pretty much all have to have general court marshals.

Although all your past sins are erased upon promotion to captain. Seriously, everything get's masked so if you screwed up once it doesn't ruin you forever.

I don't think you can make general officer without at least one giant screw up in your career. I was working with some old engineer general a few years back and he had found some old DDT (it's a powder and was kept in shakers) in an ancient supply closet and thought it was foot powder, so he passed it out to his company.

Not anymore. They're no longer masking OERs for promotion to O4 because a number of O2s are holding command.

• Locked thread