Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
ZZ was good except for the parts that were bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Kuvo posted:

I've been slowly working though the UC gundams chronologically for the past year or so now and I just finished ZZ.

I don't even know where to begin deconstructing that mess.

Are you gonna watch Char's counterattack or are you gonna read Gundam Sentinel next

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
CCA is next then Unicorn. Don't really care about the manga or books.

Also why did they call it Char's Counterattack when he died at the end of zeta...

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Kuvo posted:

CCA is next then Unicorn. Don't really care about the manga or books.

Also why did they call it Char's Counterattack when he died at the end of zeta...

Char wasn't even in Zeta. Are you talking about Quattro? It's a common mistake.

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.
Before you watch ZZ, you think it's a terrible mess because others say so.

While you're watching it, you think it's a terrible mess.

After watching all of UC, you realize it's a terrible mess and you love it anyway.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Xinder posted:

Char wasn't even in Zeta. Are you talking about Quattro? It's a common mistake.

But i thought Captain Quattro, he is a CHAR?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kuvo posted:

But i thought Captain Quattro, he is a CHAR?

Well, so's Harry Ord, and he's not Char Aznable.

...As far as we know.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Huh, I guess the forums are blocking TinyPic now after all these years. Great, I need to dig up the images I used past and find a simple image hosting site as a replacement.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

SeanBeansShako posted:

Huh, I guess the forums are blocking TinyPic now after all these years. Great, I need to dig up the images I used past and find a simple image hosting site as a replacement.

Imgur, my friend

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Droyer posted:

Imgur, my friend

Is there a way to just tell Imgur 'No I don't want to loving open a gallery just let me post a single picture and give me a URL''? the interface seems so drat cluttered to me. On the bright side, the pictures are still there with TinyPic at least. I just need to reupload them.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
Try out the chrome imgur extension or ShareX for a hassle-free imgur experience.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SeanBeansShako posted:

Is there a way to just tell Imgur 'No I don't want to loving open a gallery just let me post a single picture and give me a URL''? the interface seems so drat cluttered to me. On the bright side, the pictures are still there with TinyPic at least. I just need to reupload them.

Just drag the image from your PC folder into your imgur account, works fine for me with no hassle :shrug:. Never had it ask me to make a gallery or anything.

Lanz
May 30, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Just drag the image from your PC folder into your imgur account, works fine for me with no hassle :shrug:. Never had it ask me to make a gallery or anything.

Also if you're rehosting from another site, you can just hit control+V and it'll automatically bring up the uploader with the picture ready to go

From there just upload, right click the image on the uploaded page and grab the URL

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

The Missing Link posted:

Before you watch ZZ, you think it's a terrible mess because others say so.

While you're watching it, you think it's a terrible mess.

After watching all of UC, you realize it's a terrible mess and you love it anyway.

Lazily rewatching Zeta an episode or two at a time makes it feel like a terrible mess, and it rules. I really did not remember everyone being Gundam Wing levels of irrational, but they are, and it's good poo poo.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Currently watching Build Fighters. This is so dumb and so fun.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Azran posted:

Currently watching Build Fighters. This is so dumb and so fun.

Try is a real downgrade, but the first series is pure, self-contained joy.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
So I'm like 4 episodes into Iron Blooded Orphans, and I was originally under the impression that maybe it would be a little like 08th MS Team, but it's not.

I really dig stuff like Blue Destiny and Lost War Chronicles. (I never played their games but I had their mangas)

What is good and similar to 08th MS Team these days? (Does not have to be gundam, but it would be rad)

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Revitalized posted:

So I'm like 4 episodes into Iron Blooded Orphans, and I was originally under the impression that maybe it would be a little like 08th MS Team, but it's not.

I really dig stuff like Blue Destiny and Lost War Chronicles. (I never played their games but I had their mangas)

What is good and similar to 08th MS Team these days? (Does not have to be gundam, but it would be rad)

Gundam Thunderbolt manga/OVAs may scratch your itch.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Revitalized posted:

VOTOMS

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Watched Chars Counterattack. Never before have I seen so many GMs blowing up in such detail.

So what was the deal with that "T" psyco frame thingy? Also is Char dead for real this time or is there another movie called Char's Counter Counterattack?

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Both are "Dead". Some have interpreted it as them ascending to a higher plane of existence. Either way, they are not coming back. Also loving gently caress off Quess and by extension Hathaway.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Kuvo posted:

Watched Chars Counterattack. Never before have I seen so many GMs blowing up in such detail.

So what was the deal with that "T" psyco frame thingy? Also is Char dead for real this time or is there another movie called Char's Counter Counterattack?

The psycoframe T is a sample of the psycoframe that Chan and Anaheim used when working on the Nu Gundam; she keeps it with her because she was still studying it since psycoframe is a new bullshit crazy technology that no one actually understands yet. It flying around after Chan's death is basically the CCA equivalent to dead peoples' ghosts showing up in Zeta/ZZ.

Char and Amuro are officially MIA after the Axis Shock, but both of them never appear alive again, so for all intents and purposes they are dead.

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Kuvo posted:

I can't remember if there were GMs in CCA, but I'm certain what you saw were Jegans and not GMs.

Londo Bell was full of Jegans, everybody else had GM III's.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
A Jegan's basically a GM with a body kit. So is the GM III, but the GM III is like a modified Charger and the Jegan's like an acura all riced up

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

muike posted:

A Jegan's basically a GM with a body kit. So is the GM III, but the GM III is like a modified Charger and the Jegan's like an acura all riced up

:iiaca:

Yeah, the RGM Jegan is still a GM. I have no idea what your analogy means. I just wanted to point out that they were Jegans because I love them.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Kuvo posted:

It's the soul of Mr. T, pitying the fools of the Universal Century.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Alright, sorry for the delay. I've been waylaid by IRL which needs more time to take care of some things than writing about fantasy military uniforms in a 30 year old anime series. But now that, alongside my image host issues with previous posts have all been taken care of we're back on track.

Welcome to another one of SeanBeanShako's Gundam Uniform Reviews, Part 6 ZEON HARDER!

This was originally going to be about the Zanscare forces and their almost adorable putting on the Reich, but I must shelve that for now as I will have to go back to Victory Gundam and use my awful memory to try and screencap some Zanscare soldiers and low level mooks pirates. That would be incredibly hard work for a very very short article on an obscure comedy internets anime sub-forum. Instead, we'll be looking at guys who wished they were space nazis whilst being space imperialists! those whacky genocidal Zeon!

We don't really need an introduction to the Zeon now. They pretty much are the archetype anime space opera baddies, only with a fetish for mobile suits instead of space battlefleets. I'll be looking mainly at the Zeon forces from 0079 and a brief glimpse at the Axis era Zeon now. I won't be covering the +1 Nazi Zeon guys from the OAV spin offs because I've not yet watched and to be perfectly honest I've always found that idea to be a little silly and sort of lessens the impact of Gihren Zabi's comment about Hitler. So yeah, lets get started. I mentioned in the previous post with Char the design and style of some of the Zeon uniform really do remind me of the more toned down cavalry uniforms of the 19th century. But that was with Char, who is not only an Ace but also an officer. Pretty much what we see with Ramba Ral, Char, some of the Zabi, Cima Garahau and even GATO uniform regulations for officers either do not exist or well they just don't give two fucks about them.

If you look closely at the label under the collar for Gihren, you can see the Hugo Boss logo elegantly stitched in.

Also, I didn't know Donald Trump was in the Zeon!

But well, what about the common 'Zeke' soldier or pilot of the UC conflicts and well one word comes to mind. Spartan. As in, just the bare essentials. While the officers have all kinds of fancy bells and whistles now it seems the normal Zeon uniform for the officer or soldier on the ground just looks like your standard military overalls. Granted they are tarted up with the seventies space opera pomp design at the end of the day they really do come of more designed for duty and utlity rather than peacocking about in giant space robots/battleships/asteroid bases/giant landtankship. But even a low to high level officer of Zeon is allowed some silly uniform fluff to maintain his position of power. For you see, they have the mystical half cape and the mantle around it that indicates they went to special space academy of leading space tanks and space robot suits now. And amusingly, from what I have seen in some images (this might be creative licence) but some lower tier officers seem to have smaller capes/mantles as well?

I say man, what Side 3 school did you say are you from?

Behold the mantle system of power!

Also, It bugs me we don't really have a name for that Zeon symbol. Is it the Zabi family crest? the Side 3 Falcon? The Z-Sigal? whatever it is, it seems Gihren skipped his history classes for space marketeering as that fucker is on everything the Zeon have. I'd love to make up dumb fanon about Zeon branded underwear but knowning how anime works it'd get uncomfortably sexual quickly. So rapidly moving on, It is time to have a good look at the gear of what a One Year War Zeon soldier would be wearing whilst scrambling around stealing resources from North America.

We are looking for ze Sayla pic with ze big boobies

Yes I know, we're going into weird Osprey/real milhist territory here but aside from directly screen capping it is hard to find good normal screenshots of Zeon soldiers that aren't being capped by Amuro under a blanket. Like I said now before the Zeon grunt uniforms seem just as sparse and modern as their federation counter parts. The olive drab nature of the overalls style uniform is less Afrika Korp and to me looks more like the uniforms of the Imperial Japanese Army as the artists originally intended now. It also amuses me how tiny the Zabi/Zeon crest is on the chest and how naked the uniform actually looks without a silly half cape swaying about dramatically now. Even the collar looks so sad and pathetic. Also, the Zeon helmet with the flared neck seems to be a strange combination of the German army Stahlhelm crossed with the Samurai warrior helmet minus the face guard and mask. It seems rather small and muted compared to the custom model Char mocked up. Personally, I think it would have been more amusing if they threw in a bit of the Pickelhaube Victorian/WW1 German Army to the design just for the sight of the Zeon running around with spikes on their heads. Also, I find the gloves a bit weird really. For an officer or pilot outside their suit they would make some sort of sense but I keep imagining the drat things getting caught on all sorts of machinery or on terrain during manauvers and any sane Zeon soldier would either 'lose' them or cut them down to the wrist so they are practical.

Amuro victim #3, never stood a chance....

Anyway those are the soldiers, lets move briefly onto the brave soon to be mostly blown up dead Zeon mobile suit pilots. Unlike the sweet custom designed Zeon Pro Swag pilot suits we saw Char and Hamon wear, just like the soldier the Zeon pilot suit seems to follow the themes of green spartan and plain appearince. This is a good thing as all the resources stolen from Earth would have been drained having to tailor up and produce replacement functional suits with the poor conscripted bastards in the latter half of Mobile Suit Gundam now. Amusingly now, the pilot suit is the most modern and practical looking thing the Zeon have. Even the ranks are properly displayed in a patch near the collar. The very fact that Glemy wanted to change these is more proof the man just hates military fashion and is the devil. Not biased at all!

And speaking of Glemy, lets bring up his much more entertaining and less creepy superior officer/future space murder victim Mashymre Cello wearing what I presume is the formal version of the higher tier level of Axis space navy officer uniform.

I am totally not getting a boner over Haman or anything guyz.

You know all the stuff I said about what Glemy wears and how Char more or less owned it? This uniform here brings the same sort of level of gently caress yeah to the party but in a more mute Zeon fashion instead of Char's own style. When you come to think about it really, Char sort of stole and modified this uniform to fit him like everything else in his life. All that is really missing is the sword now. Amusingly though, for some reason Axis/Sleeves really dig the Napoleonic looking trousers and pretty much have adopted them instead of just rolling with one whole general colour scheme now like the rest of the ranks. I do like the amusingly out of place Final Fantasy pointless belt bucke things around those boots. You'll certainly never lose or have those stollen off your feet now (because it looks silly even for anime military fashion)

So all in all, that was a brief look at the uniforms of the Zeon. Just like the Federation it is an interesting combination of styles and design ideas which are both pleasingly retro and unique to the eye. Four Garma heads out of four. Next time, we'll be having a brief look at the TITAN stuff!

Also, I'm just posting this picture here because I love it. The Bandai model box art is amazing:

SeanBeansShako fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Feb 29, 2016

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Never stop these.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I want to know the pedigree of Destiny-era ZAFT miniskirts

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

boom boom boom posted:

I want to know the pedigree of Destiny-era ZAFT miniskirts

I believe it was what they called 'the swinging space sixties'.

Also, I'm returning to polishing off G-Gundam now. Might move onto SEED, or I could do the OAV stuff for the UC.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Some of the zaft uniforms look really good, those all white ZAFT uniforms were pretty rad. Though a lot of destiny's space helmets always bugged me.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Monaghan posted:

Some of the zaft uniforms look really good, those all white ZAFT uniforms were pretty rad. Though a lot of destiny's space helmets always bugged me.

Yeah, you do have to wonder why SEED helmets have those giant bricks attached to their foreheads.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Darth Walrus posted:

Yeah, you do have to wonder why SEED helmets have those giant bricks attached to their foreheads.

My handwavey guess was that it was an impact thing to protect the visor. Smash your head forward from an impact and the forehead piece hits the console instead of the visor.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
I thought the ZAFT helmets contained all the head tracking sensors like modern chopper pilots use

I have no explanation for the miniskirts, other than

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I wonder if getting your space knickers in a twist is a phrase with ZAFT.

And tight Napoleonic style pants looks much sexier on both sexes AND is more practical.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

My handwavey guess was that it was an impact thing to protect the visor. Smash your head forward from an impact and the forehead piece hits the console instead of the visor.
The only problem I could see with that theory is if a pilot suffers a severe enough impact, that forehead brick is smashing into the console and you're now missing several key gauges and info screens.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I've not seen SEED yeah, I'm picturing wireless LAN's on their helmets.

Caros
May 14, 2008

AradoBalanga posted:

The only problem I could see with that theory is if a pilot suffers a severe enough impact, that forehead brick is smashing into the console and you're now missing several key gauges and info screens.

Well the counter is that the same would happen the other way, except with broken glass in the pilots face as a bonus.

They do look a little silly tho.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's the SEED equivalent of those transparent air bags in the later UC shows starting from CCA(?). It's also probably a lot easier to draw that instead of a bunch of frames for the air bag that ended up looking a little silly. That said the SEED pilots are a lot better strapped in and the helmets are for when poo poo has gone really sideways in a last ditch effort to protect the pilot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

AradoBalanga posted:

A smashed console is significantly less immediately lethal than a smashed skull or shards of faceplate embedded in your eye sockets.