Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Lime Tonics posted:

Yeah, not only that though, the cockpit was supposed to use space magic to make the whole thing transparent, with a 3d floating display only. Guess what happened to that idea?

They are basically at the point of half-assing junk just to get it out the door now. They have a ~year~ to get sq42 done, after that all bets are off.

No, the crap cockpit was supposed to use space magic to make it appear like it was transparent *and* rotate all over to reduce the G-Forces during tight turns. So your pilot could be upside down but the you would still be looking forward in your ship. Which is actually kind of neat.

I bet they wanted to fake it with a material that is opaque one way and transparent the other. The problem is that a) the cry-engine cannot do this trick, you cannot have a material like that is opaque one way and b) even if there was one the people outside the ship would see that the pilots are not actually rotating (because otherwise it would be barf-city for the players).

So they would have to actually implement an opaque cockpit with a 360-degree display on the inside and that's too much work! Instead now it has a transparent cockpit which means that the pilot won't be able to rotate (it will rotate slightly up or down just to pretend it does) without vomiting or the rest of the ship blocking all the visibility.

BTW, the display tech would be really good for having fun turrets so you can kiss their rear end good-bye too.

They also made the ship way larger (to accommodate the second pilot) before realizing they couldn't do it but didn't go back to the original size after cutting the second seat at the last possible minute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Interloper
Jan 11, 2010

- dig that bunky feat -
Salad Prong
I bet a lot of the "I will feel grief" posters secretly really want to be griefed - or better still 'griefed' - so they get to smugly type things like "Enjoy your ban." and get their org to mass report them/complain to their pocket GM while jerking themselves raw over the thought of the hammer being brought down on another evil goonie. Then brag about it on the forums about how special they are, valiantly defending the 'Verse against the 90% griefer population or whatever the gently caress they believe. If everything is griefing, that means you're always the good guy no matter what you yourself do to other players in or out of game, right? Believe me, there's nothing new or original about these impotent crybabies.

It's quite an interesting viewpoint actually, because according to Reddit, goons are the only griefers in existence, and they won't be playing the game in the first place because they're butthurt the game is engineered from the ground up to make griefing impossible, or something. I guess that can only mean those 1 million Schroedinger's griefers are all Derek Smart multiboxing. I love how shitizens tie themselves in logical knots over everything.

The reason the rabid, hateful fanbase doesn't bother me as much as the developers themselves do is because I was honestly already used to their kind. They exist for basically every online game community, though admittedly not in the same concentration as in SC. Meanwhile, I've never seen a game developer quite so blatantly and unrepentantly stringing people along before.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin
Friend of mine who got out and got his refund thanks to this thread (even though not a goon) still got the 'upgrade email'

This is what he sent me:

pretty accurate.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

that explains a lot, actually, i always had thought it was an anime and people were following the tviv thread about it or something

that does make more sense

Sorry to pull a quote from so long ago, but some of us have jobs..

Re Dangan Ronpa:

More specifically, it was translated by someone for whom neither Japanese nor English was their first language.

Also, it was a mystery story so there was a lot of speculation in the thread.

Also, the archive is here. It's really good.

http://lparchive.org/Dangan-Ronpa/

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

trucutru posted:

I bet they wanted to fake it with a material that is opaque one way and transparent the other. The problem is that a) the cry-engine cannot do this trick, you cannot have a material like that is opaque one way

Sure it can. That's why when you clip into the inside of a spaceship dues to physics bugs, it's see-through on the inside. All 3d engines do this as a way to save work, they only draw the outside of the polys. So if you just made the rib with one-sided polys and just didn't have a back side it would do just that.

The problem is it looks like poo poo in practice because there would be little artifacts on poly edges and stuff.

The dumb thing is that as a 2-seat cockpit the center rib makes much more sense, since the seats could be on either side.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

A Neurotic Jew posted:

2.2e Patch Notes

looks like they're wrapping up on this wave. Hopefully 2.3 can live up to the havoc this one caused. They're promising a Starfarer so that should be fun, whether it comes out or not.

Without checking your post history I'm pretty loving sure that rifle has been in every single patch note in one capacity or another.

Dusty Lens fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Feb 27, 2016

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

trucutru posted:

No, the crap cockpit was supposed to use space magic to make it appear like it was transparent *and* rotate all over to reduce the G-Forces during tight turns. So your pilot could be upside down but the you would still be looking forward in your ship. Which is actually kind of neat.

I bet they wanted to fake it with a material that is opaque one way and transparent the other. The problem is that a) the cry-engine cannot do this trick, you cannot have a material like that is opaque one way and b) even if there was one the people outside the ship would see that the pilots are not actually rotating (because otherwise it would be barf-city for the players).

So they would have to actually implement an opaque cockpit with a 360-degree display on the inside and that's too much work! Instead now it has a transparent cockpit which means that the pilot won't be able to rotate (it will rotate slightly up or down just to pretend it does) without vomiting or the rest of the ship blocking all the visibility.

BTW, the display tech would be really good for having fun turrets so you can kiss their rear end good-bye too.

They also made the ship way larger (to accommodate the second pilot) before realizing they couldn't do it but didn't go back to the original size after cutting the second seat at the last possible minute.

Why not just make the ship loving transparent for the pilot and eliminate the g-force effect? Wouldn't that basically do the same thing?

Oh wait, you can't cheat because FIDELITY.

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

a problem i have with my current car is that when i am sitting in the driver's seat i am always getting blocked in whenever a friend is in the passenger seat

i do not like having to clamber over the center console and over the friend to get out

if anyone knows a way to avoid being blocked in like this please let me know and cc CIG

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Why not just make the ship loving transparent for the pilot and eliminate the g-force effect? Wouldn't that basically do the same thing?

That should do it indeed but fidelity.

Klyith posted:

Sure it can. That's why when you clip into the inside of a spaceship dues to physics bugs, it's see-through on the inside. All 3d engines do this as a way to save work, they only draw the outside of the polys. So if you just made the rib with one-sided polys and just didn't have a back side it would do just that.

The problem is it looks like poo poo in practice because there would be little artifacts on poly edges and stuff.

You're right.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

ZenMaster posted:

:siren: Effort post

G0rf analyze this tia

Start at 29:00 (http://www.twitch.tv/cigcommunity/v/50918221)

: Uh, Kirk Tomei in this week's ‘Ten for the Developers’ uh- revealed that the ship had- has morphed from a two-seater to a one-seater.

: Yes.

: We've had some discussions.

: We've had some big discussions on the forums right now. Um, and we've looked into why that happened and how to make it not happen again. Um, basically (and this is- this is what we’ve figured out in the last 24 hours) uh, several months ago, a tech producer- I- I'm- not going to name any names because I’m not a jerk uh..

: Justin Chambers

: Yeah, it was all Justin Chamber's fault.

: Wait, what?

: No, no.

: No, a- a - a - tech producer looked at the Xi'an Scout and said- you- you've all seen the earlier concept model with the two seats. One of our tech producers up(intelligible) "Well this won't work because you can't have a ship where one person... is blocked in. Uh- Th-This is a problem with the Gladius right now and they're refactoring some of it due-

: Gladiator.

: Glad- Glad-i-A-tor. Gladiator. I get them mixed up because their made (unintelligible)

: I don't know why we picked suh- two names so close to each other.

: I don’t know either.

: Continue with your story.

: Um... so, um...
: Can't have one person blocked in.

: Essentially, it was- it was a design “no-no” to have one person blocked in.... and their response was "Ok, remove the extra seat." It- it didn't have a function or anything at that point.

: Yeah, we hadn't come up with a function for it.

: Uh... where the process fell down is that was not really communicated. It was put into our internal confluence, which is what went to the uh... tech set up team, but it did not propagate to design or community. So, um... that's how that happened. It's kind of like when uh... you remember that probe that NASA sent that was- the Mars probe where they mixed up miles and kilometers, so...

: Mmm-hmm

: It's was uh... an honest mistake but unfortunate... um- so, we're going to look at a way to have a uh- second seat, it's not something we can necessarily promise, just because it is still a tech blocker and because it will be more work that’s unscheduled. But, uh…

: Yeah… when we found out, it was very soon just before you guys found out. It was the day we were filming 'Ten for the Developers' and that’s why Kirk leads off with it in the episode. Even though that’s not what the question’s about. As soon as we figured out we wanted to get that information out there and so… you know… I don’t have anything else to add.

: No, no, no- I-I-I- told them on the forums we would figure out what happened and that is exactly what happened so uh…

: Yep…

I had to open the stream and check because I thought that this exchange was so far out of what would be considered reasonable in the context of a company's communications with their customers that it was a poorly-written parody. :psypop:

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Dusty Lens posted:

Without checking your post history I'm pretty loving sure that rifle has been in every single patch note in one capacity or another.

at least there was progress made. 2.1 kept mentioning a shotgun that would crash the entire game if you picked it up. good times.

Wookie Bouquet
Jan 27, 2013

Too tsundere to drive.
Wait what. Gladiator is getting refactored? So it's a single seater now too?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
so is that 4x 30Gb downloads in 5 days or 6?

CashEnsign
Feb 7, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Why don't they just drop cry-engine for something good? This is messing with my fidelity.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

G0RF posted:

"Just a Man" rocked in an earlier and it's pistols at dawn if you say otherwise.

I bought the CD just based on that song. Shame the rest of it wasn't as good, but it was still a solid B- 90s rock album.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Breetai posted:

I had to open the stream and check because I thought that this exchange was so far out of what would be considered reasonable in the context of a company's communications with their customers that it was a poorly-written parody. :psypop:

I thought it was a parody too, but nope. smh.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Sappo569 posted:

Looks like their little "trade in your jpeg for an even shittier jpeg, $5 off!" caused the rotting cat corpse to bounce

I'm sure anytime we have sustained days of less than 40k they'll pull out some last minute sale to boost the numbers
And even with it, it's a crap day for them.

Ben said the next big ship sale was late March? They may need to change up that plan unless they don't mind burning some decent bucks. Although maybe they're planning to reduce the burn further?

On that note... Anybody wonder if the reason they've been plugging David Ladyman and Ryan Archer's Kickstarter repeatedly on RtV is because they're cutting Austin down more and they're trying to help out some of the old guard on the way out? I'm not trying to start a rumor and I hope that's not the case because they both seem like nice guys. I'm just speculating. It was strange though when Batgirl mentioned Ladyman fondly in the last episode and Sandi seemed to skirt him.

It seems like the Austin team is the most vulnerable-- and artists and writers the most vulnerable of jobs there. They have plenty in LA now.

Just a theory-- admittedly grim.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

ZenMaster posted:

: Wait, what?

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

A Neurotic Jew posted:

overweight cats loving own.

Overweight cats are at risk of many health problems. Put your fat cat on a diet

Then eat cat TimTams and cat Pizza in front of them and dump boxes of cat doughnuts in their immediate vicinity

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I will always remember when I started playing X3 and realized that, just like in an FPS game, the action is actually better when you remove the pretense of being in a cockpit.

G0RF posted:

On that note... Anybody wonder if the reason they've been plugging David Ladyman and Ryan Archer's Kickstarter repeatedly on RtV is because they're cutting Austin down more and they're trying to help out some of the old guard on the way out?

Or they're plugging it because it will be finished long before SC and their backers will have something else to distract them?

Or they're doing it to get their backers used to disappointment? :sun:
(Ladyman & Archer are probably perfectly nice guys, but a forgotten board game from 30 years ago was probably forgotten for a reason. There were a lot of really bad board games in the 80s before the euro revolution.)

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Klyith posted:

Or they're plugging it because it will be finished long before SC and their backers will have something else to distract them?

Or they're doing it to get their backers used to disappointment? :sun:
Totally possible.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

weekend catte of mine is seriously addicted to television

hahaha the ben lesnick discolando two seat doubleteam apology has it all. an explanation that delivered no real apology or clear understanding of what happened, saying they wont name a developer then immediately throwing one under the bus, and acts like its all cool and resolved and a strange ha ha misunderstanding.

plus sandi crammin pizza into her skeletor head. seriously if you were playing CIG bingo you would have cleared the board in the first minute

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

cool stuff sandi

seriously if chris is up coding at midnight i am hoping hes cramming a second chair in where it never used to fit

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

alf_pogs posted:

weekend catte of mine is seriously addicted to television

hahaha the ben lesnick discolando two seat doubleteam apology has it all. an explanation that delivered no real apology or clear understanding of what happened, saying they wont name a developer then immediately throwing one under the bus, and acts like its all cool and resolved and a strange ha ha misunderstanding.

plus sandi crammin pizza into her skeletor head. seriously if you were playing CIG bingo you would have cleared the board in the first minute

Justin Chambers is Money, it was just a joke. :ssh:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

fuctifino posted:

Sandi, you are a total oval office

It's the 3rd RTV in a row she's eating food right next to Ben that she knows Ben can't eat.

It's a running office joke you see, about ben being fat

I'm beginning to suspect calling things "running office jokes" is Ben's newest way of handling bullying

Next time I hear someone sent him pizza I'll be all :catstare:

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

I took this pic on the potty

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

edit: fixed. Yes. Good job detective.

Raskolnikov fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Feb 27, 2016

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

alf_pogs posted:

cool stuff sandi

seriously if chris is up coding at midnight i am hoping hes cramming a second chair in where it never used to fit

:psyduck:
https://twitter.com/SandiGardiner/status/703494673352949760

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Lmao the real devs must hate Chris with a passion

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Lord Kinbote posted:

Decided to give lowtax some beer money.I lost hope for this game a year ago but thank God I only payed for the aurora package.I can't take take my eyes of the shitshow though,it's like the crash you can't help look at on the motorway.

You didn't need to buy Platinum. :ccb:

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

MeLKoR posted:

You didn't need to buy Platinum. :ccb:

How could he get in on the sweet thread secrets otherwise?

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

moonraker posted:

I put together a little satire regarding Starmarine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-DqF41td0g

That was really good.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

buy a JPEG for $500 and not just $5. :aaa:

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Google Butt posted:

Lmao the real devs must hate Chris with a passion

Chris codes something while in a bleary eyed daze in the middle of the night then emails it to some real developer saying "YOU MUST INCLUDE THIS IT IS PART OF THE VISION NOW"

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I'm beginning to suspect calling things "running office jokes" is Ben's newest way of handling bullying
Hey, that's the closest anything about Ben gets to running.

alf_pogs posted:

cool stuff sandi

Here's a lovely mental image among the comments
"@SandiGardiner You realise he's just masturbating right?"

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Raskolnikov posted:

I took this pic on the potty

I'm really jealous of this catte.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
My previous catte also enjoyed drinking from the faucet.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

https://twitter.com/Kuari999/status/703406945005232129

A real person posted this. Apparently CIG doesn't have to provide features on release because they never said they would.

This is actual lie, Chris said that the extra money was going to be used exactly so they could get everything in before release instead of releasing it piecemeal over time.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

SelenicMartian posted:

Here's a lovely mental image among the comments
"@SandiGardiner You realise he's just masturbating right?"

:wave:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Thronde posted:

Posting on this page to mark the best of the Battlefield series imo.

The best Battlefield is always relevant because CIG's a bad company, too.

• Locked thread