Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
overseer07
Mar 30, 2003
Pillbug
Look at this handsome motherfucker.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Scruffpuff posted:

We got that word from Ben himself? Well that's a relief. I'll give them this one.

if there's anyone we can trust, it's Ben - you know he's a developer, after all

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

People put far too much faith in jpegs.

Anyway, time for some medium-effort F12 satire shitposting:

Ponzi
Feb 21, 2016

DEPORTED FROM FLAVOR TOWN

ICSA 67 LOSER
Fun Shoe

Galarox posted:

I am many many pages back, but had to finish this before catching up. Thanks to whoever suggested this, can't remember who it was. Anyways...

The Port Olisar River Boatmen:

This is very good, there's just one problem with it - Sandi is pulling along with everyone else. In reality she'd be standing nearby whipping everyone along and laughing like a maniac.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
Guys, I'm so excited! I just got an exclusive offer from RSI in my email! CHECK THIS OUT:

quote:

We would like to invite you to visit your authorized Origin 300i dealer today, where we are offering a limited-time 5,000 UEC ($5 USD) rebate to any pilot trading in an Aurora spacecraft towards the purchase of an Origin 300i. Details for applying your discount can be found at the end of this transmission.

So if I'm reading this correctly, I can convert one imaginary ship into a completely different imaginary ship by handing CIG only $50! Which essentially turns a $45 mistake into a $95 mistake, and all I have to do is use the special offer code in my email.

It's not every day you can spend $95 to get $55 worth of goods - I'm jumping on this offer right away!

Edit: I have not calculated the credits for melting the Aurora, because :effort:

Edit edit: OK so apparently you get the $45 back, then you get $5 off the 300i, so you're actually spending an additional $5 only. So if this game were real, not a bad overall deal I suppose. So I guess instead of going for the big dollars with this offer, they're focusing on the likely obscene number of normal mini-spergs who donated $45 years ago and are trying to milk an extra $5 out of each of them. For CIG, it's money above all else.

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Feb 26, 2016

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Jason Sextro posted:

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

:siren: Effort post

G0rf analyze this tia

Start at 29:00 (http://www.twitch.tv/cigcommunity/v/50918221)

: Uh, Kirk Tomei in this week's ‘Ten for the Developers’ uh- revealed that the ship had- has morphed from a two-seater to a one-seater.

: Yes.

: We've had some discussions.

: We've had some big discussions on the forums right now. Um, and we've looked into why that happened and how to make it not happen again. Um, basically (and this is- this is what we’ve figured out in the last 24 hours) uh, several months ago, a tech producer- I- I'm- not going to name any names because I’m not a jerk uh..

: Justin Chambers

: Yeah, it was all Justin Chamber's fault.

: Wait, what?

: No, no.

: No, a- a - a - tech producer looked at the Xi'an Scout and said- you- you've all seen the earlier concept model with the two seats. One of our tech producers up(intelligible) "Well this won't work because you can't have a ship where one person... is blocked in. Uh- Th-This is a problem with the Gladius right now and they're refactoring some of it due-

: Gladiator.

: Glad- Glad-i-A-tor. Gladiator. I get them mixed up because their made (unintelligible)

: I don't know why we picked suh- two names so close to each other.

: I don’t know either.

: Continue with your story.

: Um... so, um...
: Can't have one person blocked in.

: Essentially, it was- it was a design “no-no” to have one person blocked in.... and their response was "Ok, remove the extra seat." It- it didn't have a function or anything at that point.

: Yeah, we hadn't come up with a function for it.

: Uh... where the process fell down is that was not really communicated. It was put into our internal confluence, which is what went to the uh... tech set up team, but it did not propagate to design or community. So, um... that's how that happened. It's kind of like when uh... you remember that probe that NASA sent that was- the Mars probe where they mixed up miles and kilometers, so...

: Mmm-hmm

: It's was uh... an honest mistake but unfortunate... um- so, we're going to look at a way to have a uh- second seat, it's not something we can necessarily promise, just because it is still a tech blocker and because it will be more work that’s unscheduled. But, uh…

: Yeah… when we found out, it was very soon just before you guys found out. It was the day we were filming 'Ten for the Developers' and that’s why Kirk leads off with it in the episode. Even though that’s not what the question’s about. As soon as we figured out we wanted to get that information out there and so… you know… I don’t have anything else to add.

: No, no, no- I-I-I- told them on the forums we would figure out what happened and that is exactly what happened so uh…

: Yep…

ZenMaster fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Feb 26, 2016

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Jason Sextro posted:

He's successfully developing diabetes and glaucoma, we can't expect him to do everything at once.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Jason Sextro posted:

Not just "a" developer either - he's the one and only Master of Ships

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Reading it over and over it just sounds more and more ridiculous...

Some guy just decides to make a massive change and tells nobody... models it, debugs it, and sends it down the pipeline and no one catches it.

Can you imagine any other company doing that?

Also lol @ no function for the seat... I saw a ton of functions listed on the forums.

Also, just add another door on the other side so one person isn't blocked in... problem solved. How can you not think of that solution?

Oh yeah, they are lying.

ZenMaster fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Feb 26, 2016

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Scruffpuff posted:

So it's one thing to say that ships are subject to change; it's another to actually do it. Everyone at CIG knew the thing was moving to a single-seater, except one group: the people paying. This is tantamount to fraud. Many backers just got it up the rear end to the tune of $150 each. Does CIG think what they just pulled won't have any effect on future ship sales? No matter what they pull out of their asses for the next wave of ships, most people at this point will think twice about what CIG says the ship is, and what they might finally get down the road. Aside from the most deluded cultists, of course.

I don't think it really matters. If you look at the history of what CIG has done and their justifications, the changes over LTI don't matter because LTI won't be worth much, we won't sell limited ships again, then they do, won't sell stupid racing suit again, then they do. In each case you can't judge the outcome in the game obviously, but on the 2nd hand ship market, people spent hundreds extra because of these commitments/promises. CIG isn't bothered at all because "you can earn everything in the game" and "you shouldn't buy from there anyway".

This is the same, the scout has changed, the shuttle ship from the 890 jump lost it's jump drive, the phoenix will change too, caterpillar is being re-concepted, hornet used to be the best but added superhornet, vanguard, there's a lightning fighter that's better than the hornet that they'll probably sell at some point too. The Cutlass got shafted so hard they hate all the whiny fucks who still own one. The pattern is to hype the ship on sale and then nerf it later, all the stat/role/3d model poo poo is made up by concept artists for the sale and once the sale is over they really don't give a bollocks as they are preparing the next sale.

On all this I now totally agree with them, it really doesn't matter if some ship has one seat or two, 2 guns or 6 as "you can earn everything in game". The bigger problems they have that might take the whole project down this year are lack of content & weird bugs they can't fix, getting SQ42 out, keeping the money rolling in. All this stuff is trivial and a few hundred backers/whales pissed off that their favourite steam locomotive got roughly touched aren't a big concern in comparison.

In the end either the game is good, in which case it's not worth worrying about all this as you'll be forgiven, or the game sucks in which case you are completely screwed anyway. I finally start to understand why :lesnick: just doesn't care.

AP fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Feb 26, 2016

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

ZenMaster posted:

Also lol @ no function for the seat... I saw a ton of functions listed on the forums.

Well if it ain't from Chris, it ain't.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
More like master of chips :D

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Liu posted:

its about time you used an actual good song in one of your videos, apart from china in your hand of course
"Just a Man" rocked in an earlier and it's pistols at dawn if you say otherwise.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

ZenMaster posted:

Reading it over and over it just sounds more and more ridiculous...

Some guy just decides to make a massive change and tells nobody... models it, debugs it, and sends it down the pipeline and no one catches it.

Can you imagine any other company doing that?

to be honest as scummy and deceptive as it sounds, the only things you need to accept as true for this to be a reasonable explanation are the following:

1. The developers don't talk to the marketing team
2. The developers don't bother looking at the store page
3. Ben, the Master of Ships, whose job it is presumably to make sure the marketing and internal design docs are in sync, is incompetent and/or has too short an attention span to actually do the parts of his job that aren't "closing threads" and "making excuses on camera".

none of those seem that out there to me

how they're handling it is absolutely shittastic though

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

lol they publicly blamed the mistake on one person and named them. Good one.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

peter gabriel posted:

Wanted to get this in quick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7C63xAvSQLI

gently caress em all

Your music choices are always so chill

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

AP posted:

In the end either the game is good, in which case it's not worth worrying about all this as you'll be forgiven, or the game sucks in which case you are completely screwed anyway. I finally start to understand why :lesnick: just doesn't care.

I remember being confused over the Cutlass stuff for this reason-if the game was non-existent or terrible, then what did it matter how one .jpg performed versus another.

It speaks to a larger problem, but the whales aren't whales because they're good at pattern recognition.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Did anyone on RtV address the McCarthy debacle?

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

alphabettitouretti posted:

lol they publicly blamed the mistake on one person and named them. Good one.

I think they were just teasing Money.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ Nope

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

to be honest as scummy and deceptive as it sounds, the only things you need to accept as true for this to be a reasonable explanation are the following:

3. Ben, the Master of Ships, whose job it is presumably to make sure the marketing and internal design docs are in sync, is incompetent and/or has too short an attention span to actually do the parts of his job that aren't "closing threads" and "making excuses on camera".

4) there is no change control process in place, and a designer could make that call to pull something without thinking to report it up
5) the thousands of design and development hours, with multiple review and approval stages that make up this intricate pipeline we're constantly told about, missed this unilateral change multiple times
6) Chris Roberts, who has been involved in constantly sending assets back to revision, wasn't told about this change and also didn't notice it
7) Upon discovering an unforced error on their team's part, decided the most appropriate course of action would be to ban the person who raised the issue on their forums, close the thread, and change the store page without any attempt to document that change for the community

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

ZenMaster posted:

:siren: Effort post

G0rf analyze this tia

:words:
I think that whole exchange speaks for itself!

G0RF fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Aug 2, 2016

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

4) there is no change control process in place, and a designer could make that call to pull something without thinking to report it up
5) the thousands of design and development hours, with multiple review and approval stages that make up this intricate pipeline we're constantly told about, missed this unilateral change multiple times
6) Chris Roberts, who has been involved in constantly sending assets back to revision, wasn't told about this change and also didn't notice it
7) Upon discovering an unforced error on their team's part, decided the most appropriate course of action would be to ban the person who raised the issue on their forums, close the thread, and change the store page without any attempt to document that change for the community

4 and 5 are moot if "marketing" isn't involved in "product management". Designers, modelers, product managers all fall under the "developer" side of the fence as far as I can see, insofar as "not being marketing".

6. I direct your attention to "what the gently caress is this chat box, this thing has got to go, this is horrible" on a livestream. He probably gets the changesets every morning and uses them to mop the splooge off his SQ42 script.

7 would be patently unbelievable, yes, except for it actually happening in full view of everyone, and I'll :allears: until the end of time at Ben because of it

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
http://www.twitch.tv/cigcommunity/v/50918221

At 36:45 onwards things get tense and they stammer alot. Re-watching it again at certain parts. They all look uncomfortable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elhkoKiUm6o

This song would work in a star citizen video too.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

I caught a bit of one of the recent bug smasher episodes. From memory, they had a tool to dump changes from excel into the xml, devs were mostly directly modifying the xml instead as it was faster. The impression I got was they built the xml masters from the excel files and then would find out they'd lost dozens/hundreds of changes and this kept happening. So now they have some new tool that's better than excel.

I sort of lost interest at this point but basically they are going to still have the problem because they really don't appear to have a decent change control process.

AP fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Feb 27, 2016

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

darkarchon posted:

Why do they even have a two-staged Alpha at this point? Is an Alpha not enough yet? I don't understand the decision to make an Alpha of an Alpha at all

Don't you remember how badly their servers poo poo the bed when the ptu first came out? They can't handle the load of everyone trying to access their tech demo, and they can probably only afford a few thousand people to download 30gb every two days.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Reminder that Sandi said she was "looking over the legalese" about something. She is now a lawyer too for a $100 million company.

RE: The dev tools, they asked a shitizen if they could use their web based holotable thing internally because it was better than any cig developed tool. :bravo:

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Yeah that's blue steel, should be tim tam brown.....

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Posting from page 2147: "Poor chair, thought of Ben and died."

Plural Abysss
Feb 25, 2016

Scruffpuff posted:

Guys, I'm so excited! I just got an exclusive offer from RSI in my email! CHECK THIS OUT:

So if I'm reading this correctly, I can convert one imaginary ship into a completely different imaginary ship by handing CIG only $50! Which essentially turns a $45 mistake into a $95 mistake, and all I have to do is use the special offer code in my email.

It's not every day you can spend $95 to get $55 worth of goods - I'm jumping on this offer right away!

Edit: I have not calculated the credits for melting the Aurora, because :effort:

Edit edit: OK so apparently you get the $45 back, then you get $5 off the 300i, so you're actually spending an additional $5 only. So if this game were real, not a bad overall deal I suppose. So I guess instead of going for the big dollars with this offer, they're focusing on the likely obscene number of normal mini-spergs who donated $45 years ago and are trying to milk an extra $5 out of each of them. For CIG, it's money above all else.

Might this be a covert attempt to get older backers to agree to the new TOS? And pay an extra $5...

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
This is what happens when you have ("have") things that don't exist in a game that doesn't exist then you sell them as if they exist (in the MMO sense at least) for insane amounts of money. When these things go on sale they're basically aspirations and ideas but they're sold as if they are fully built, tested and ready to go. Even in the most fantastically managed project there would be warning bells going off if they were pre-selling something they weren't even sure was possible, in a clusterfuck of a company like CIG/RSI they're deafening. It's not like this is a new thing either, see also various ships morphing from nippy runaround fighters to lumbering freighters or whatever.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Galarox posted:

I am many many pages back, but had to finish this before catching up. Thanks to whoever suggested this, can't remember who it was. Anyways...

The Port Olisar River Boatmen:

:perfect: :worship:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

It seems even easier than that:

1. The developers hate Ben Lesnick and actively sabotage him.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
I can't wait for developer ghost to weigh in on chairgate :iiam:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Tortolia posted:

I can't wait for developer ghost to weigh in on chairgate :iiam:

Is there any part of this project that has/will not turn into a “gate”?
And so, wouldn't it be easier to predict the next few months of SC development by picking a random word in the dictionary (its relation to software development is secondary) and append a -gate to it?

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Tippis posted:

Is there any part of this project that has/will not turn into a “gate”?
And so, wouldn't it be easier to predict the next few months of SC development by picking a random word in the dictionary (its relation to software development is secondary) and append a -gate to it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vB9JgxhXW5w

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

I'm gonna go with the simplest explanation for Chairgate: it was an intentional move that everyone knew about, but they didn't want it to affect ship sales so they didn't tell the backers. They planned to "deal" with the fallout when it happened, knowing that with the cult they've built, it wouldn't matter in the long run anyway. :ms:

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Mousemats are still a thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Plural Abysss posted:

Might this be a covert attempt to get older backers to agree to the new TOS? And pay an extra $5...

They haven't changed the TOS recently, so who knows.

Also I just realized something hilarious about CIG's TOS. They specify this:

quote:

RSI agrees to use its good faith business efforts to deliver to you the pledge items and the Game on or before the estimated delivery date communicated to you on the Website. However, you acknowledge and agree that delivery as of such date is not a firm promise and may be extended by RSI since unforeseen events may extend the development and/or production time. Accordingly, you agree that any unearned portion of your Pledge shall not be refundable until and unless RSI has failed to deliver the relevant pledge items and/or the Game to you within eighteen (18) months after the estimated delivery date.

But nowhere on the website is there an estimated delivery date. So wouldn't that make the TOS invalid?

• Locked thread