Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
I prefer slack + mumble

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sinewave
Aug 29, 2005

space face

Jackard posted:

I prefer slack + mumble

all the cool kids are using discord these days it seems. the slack of gaming?

sinewave fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Feb 27, 2016

Probad
Feb 24, 2013

I want to believe!
Should we start posting ICQ/Skype info here too?

KillTrash
Dec 6, 2007

Game Fiend

Alexander DeLarge posted:

Discord is both of those things

I don't mind using either Mumble or Discord. Used Mumble for years, I still have a server I run for at least 3 years now but started using Discord with friends and the chat thing sure is useful. SA has a Discord channel with Black Desert rooms, just saying.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Each Dumb as gently caress niche communication method will have it's champion.

We shall start from a town, and they are given a 5 minute headstart.

Whoever survives to the end wins and their chosen program shall be blessed by the gods.

JackDRipper
Feb 13, 2013

Its all about the Fishing.

Stormgale posted:

Each Dumb as gently caress niche communication method will have it's champion.

We shall start from a town, and they are given a 5 minute headstart.

Whoever survives to the end wins and their chosen program shall be blessed by the gods.

I pray whoever wins selects Roger Wilco.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Hey Thread which class should I play (not giant as they can't be Kawaii).

sinewave
Aug 29, 2005

space face

Stormgale posted:

Hey Thread which class should I play (not giant as they can't be Kawaii).

Roll all the ones you're interested in and put two of the ones you're not playing in Calpheon at library (to reset knowledge) and at Ronatz (Yuria weapon vendor). there is massive benefit to having alts at key places as they have their own energy pool, but npc favor and knowledge are account wide.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

sinewave posted:

Roll all the ones you're interested in and put two of the ones you're not playing in Calpheon at library (to reset knowledge) and at Ronatz (Yuria weapon vendor). there is massive benefit to having alts at key places as they have their own energy pool, but npc favor and knowledge are account wide.

Explain to me what you just said but pretend i'm dumb as poo poo, why is this important.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow

Stormgale posted:

Explain to me what you just said but pretend i'm dumb as poo poo, why is this important.

The game has no form of fast travel. So instead of taking a 20-50 minute journey to go to the city where you can pay to reset what you've learned about a mob(this happens from killing them, get a random rating and the higher the better for damage/taking damage/loot). And the same reason for not wanting to travel for so long to get to the guy that sells really good end game weapons.

sinewave
Aug 29, 2005

space face

Stormgale posted:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1JnFambQifvui7-V68QMsfuXuhAuu4C0NsVJCxJIv84E

"In the Capital of Calpheon, the Arms Dealer NPC Ronatz (next to the Blacksmith) has an Amity Shop that contains Yuria weapons. It requires 500 Amity to access, and costs 200 Amity and 90,000 Silvers to purchase. Ronatz favors the Black Dragon constellation so it is advised to choose this constellation upon character creation. You can also park your alts here as there is no level requirement to access this NPC's Conversation mini-game."

and

ALT reason #1:
Your energy OVERALL pool, which can be increased, will increase for ALL characters if it increases on one character.
Energy SPENDING is NOT shared among characters. If you deplete your energy on one character, your whole energy bar/amount will still be there on another character for you to use.
That being said, I do not recommend simply blowing through your energy on your main and then blowing it on your alts one by one. Instead, get familiar with where you want each character to spend their energy.

ALT Reason #2:
Alt positioning saves travel time. Here is one example of many:
You are "graded' on your knowledge of mobs, on a scale of C - A+. There is one more "letter grade" ABOVE A+ that is S.
Let's say you are killing mobs and you get a C. Now, you can either run back all the way to the library of Calpheon (There is NO teleportation in Black Desert) OR you can leave an alt permanently stationed there! There is an NPC named Annalisa Rosie. Simply have your alt "reset" knowledge of that mob.

I will also probably leave one in a personal house (all crafting nodes/houses/etc on the world map are account wide) to spend their energy crafting pet food (pets loot for you and discover things) and beer for workers.

ohsosad
Feb 11, 2012

Why is every game i play unbalanced in the other guys favour?
Whats the point in having high knowledge of a mob?
Increased loot and XP?

LegalPad
Oct 23, 2013

Are you sure that energy overall pool works that way? I know contribution points are shared, but I was under the impression each alt has an individual energy pool max.

sinewave
Aug 29, 2005

space face

ohsosad posted:

Whats the point in having high knowledge of a mob?
Increased loot and XP?

quicker kill (useful for alts) and used in npc conversation system. energy is also increased by gaining knowledge. hence guilds with names like "moar knowledge than u"

more deets:

Maximum energy is increased when a character gains the following types of knowledge: (You don't gain energy for every piece of knowledge you discover but you gain it as you partially or fully complete "Sets" of knowledge.)
"Topography" - Knowledge about the world (gained automatically when you travel to new areas).
"Ecology" - Knowledge about monsters (you have a small chance to gain this with each monster killed).
"Adventure Journal" - Knowledge gained from talking with NPCs (sometimes this costs Energy to learn).
"Academics" - Knowledge gained from reading books hidden around the game world.
Knowledge (and hence maximum energy) is shared across all characters on your account.

sinewave fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Feb 27, 2016

LegalPad
Oct 23, 2013

Noice.

fishstix82
Dec 28, 2011

PIZZA TIME!
I never post or play any games with you guys, but I paid money to be your friend and 100$ to start afk fishing before poor people.

Seriously, though, if you ever afk for more than 30 minutes make sure you're fishing. I started playing on a russian server after

CBT2 because I have a serious addiction, and though I've been mostly afk, you make great(decent) money fishing, and you get

experience for trading the fish to the trader. That's all I got.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
i wish yall luck in deciding the one true communication method. im going to keep using smoke signals namaste

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

hobocrunch posted:

I paid $10 to post on this website and I demand space in the guild do not give my spot to anyone with an account predating 2002 because everyone knows they didn't pay

Yeah thats not what I was implying, im not really bothered if theres no space

Since this didn't answer my question, apparently guilds go up to 100 slots with an upkeep charge past 50 so theres no need for a second guild unless the first gets full

sinewave
Aug 29, 2005

space face

Blazing Zero posted:

i wish yall luck in deciding the one true communication method. im going to keep using smoke signals namaste

we're all set up on discord with the rest of mmo hmo

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3759565

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

hahaha

quote:

After reaching out to Daum about the costume prices in the Black Desert Online shop, the team has responded. Overall costume prices will be reduced ~10% from $32 to $29. Costume sales will continue throughout the head start period and into launch with the development team keeping a close eye on community reaction and will assess feedback received. Adjustments will be made as necessary.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
And what a response! :)

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
lol i feel like a 10% decrease is more of an insult than no decrease

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Oh wow, the EU IS getting screwed. I got stuck on an european server and that stuff was 50 or 60 euros, which seems like more than the 30 bucks we have.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Eonwe posted:

same

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Ha, wow. I suppose from the company's point of view they're losing 10% on each sale so it's a big deal but from a consumer standpoint that discount is completely laughable. I love cosmetic stuff in games but a $30 pricepoint for one costume is ridiculous.

lewtt
Apr 2, 2011

The Great Twist

sinewave posted:

we're all set up on discord with the rest of mmo hmo

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3759565

no. we've been through this stupid voipwar junk from the prior and current thread. mumble has always maintained a higher population of people, and that's what we're defaulting with. If discord adds some newfangled functionality that i'll actually use, i'll consider swapping

for now, any text based comms can be done ingame or on the thread. voip comms can be done in mumble. we've had a channel and subchannels for BDO in here for a week or so

i'm also not making an alt site or doing some crazy auth system. You can invite whatever friends you have assuming we have space, but I'll tar and feather both you and your friend if he/she manages to royally gently caress something up.

If a pubbie is super amusing i'll probably invite him as well

at this rate though, i suspect we'll be full up or close to it for quite a while. No overflow guild until we actually need it, however

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Rafzakael posted:

Yeah thats not what I was implying, im not really bothered if theres no space

Since this didn't answer my question, apparently guilds go up to 100 slots with an upkeep charge past 50 so theres no need for a second guild unless the first gets full

Yah I said lol since it has been talked about before.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

still gonna lol since we discuss things in here then a new guy comes in and asks the same question over and over

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Third World Reggin posted:

Yah I said lol since it has been talked about before.

Its cool my dude, I should have checked the wiki first before asking

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Eonwe posted:

:yeah:

Grondoth posted:

Oh wow, the EU IS getting screwed. I got stuck on an european server and that stuff was 50 or 60 euros, which seems like more than the 30 bucks we have.
What you describe does sound implausible.

sinewave
Aug 29, 2005

space face

lewtt posted:

no. we've been through this stupid voipwar junk from the prior and current thread. mumble has always maintained a higher population of people, and that's what we're defaulting with. If discord adds some newfangled functionality that i'll actually use, i'll consider swapping

for now, any text based comms can be done ingame or on the thread. voip comms can be done in mumble. we've had a channel and subchannels for BDO in here for a week or so

i'm also not making an alt site or doing some crazy auth system. You can invite whatever friends you have assuming we have space, but I'll tar and feather both you and your friend if he/she manages to royally gently caress something up.

If a pubbie is super amusing i'll probably invite him as well

at this rate though, i suspect we'll be full up or close to it for quite a while. No overflow guild until we actually need it, however

I'd just ask that you'd check it out. I was surprised and I'm old and crotchity.

bit sad to hear no auth if only for pubbies competing for goon space. not being cranky, just that this is known to cause drama when capped early. it's also harder to add auth and rebuild later after discovering a spy problem. this is kind of relevant for bdo because castles and theft.

sinewave fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Feb 27, 2016

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Rafzakael posted:

Its cool my dude, I should have checked the wiki first before asking

like the whole should we use slack, irc, mumble, discord has also been done to death

same with laughing at an auth process and making fun of off sites

you will probably see it again in a day or two

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

I like the theory that they only reduced them to $29 so that costumes are no longer more expensive than the game.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

sinewave posted:

I'd just ask that you'd check it out. I was surprised and I'm old and crotchity.

bit sad to hear no auth if only for pubbies competing for goon space. not being cranky, just that this is known to cause drama when capped early.
You may be surprised to discover, but most tensions are due to overly and needlessly insistful pleas to check it out, shirt issue notwithstanding.

For any auth to be meaningful, we first have to have a content that makes any sense to be concealed through external efforts. I don't know about you, but I'll be surprised to learn that we have anything of the sort any time soon, i.e. by the time we still have "critical mass" of players doing related things.

Probad
Feb 24, 2013

I want to believe!
My theory has been that they'll keep costume prices high but host frequent, brief sales. My other theory has been that they'll keep costume prices high because people will still pay.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Eltoasto posted:

I like the theory that they only reduced them to $29 so that costumes are no longer more expensive than the game.
gently caress, now I'm thinking about the $30.50 theory again. :argh:

sinewave
Aug 29, 2005

space face

kalstrams posted:

You may be surprised to discover, but most tensions are due to overly and needlessly insistful pleas to check it out, shirt issue notwithstanding.

For any auth to be meaningful, we first have to have a content that makes any sense to be concealed through external efforts. I don't know about you, but I'll be surprised to learn that we have anything of the sort any time soon, i.e. by the time we still have "critical mass" of players doing related things.

yea I'm with you on the content. no point if there is no reason to consider counterintelligence in the game. bdo has theft and castles though, but dunno how that will pan out yet.

vrath
Jul 6, 2015

Buy 1 get 1 bottle of Lysol FREE!
Will the beta client I downloaded work at launch tonight or do I need to download a new one for some korean reason.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

vrath posted:

Will the beta client I downloaded work at launch tonight or do I need to download a new one for some korean reason.
Beta client works, but at some point there's supposed to be pre-launch patch I believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Clocks posted:

Ha, wow. I suppose from the company's point of view they're losing 10% on each sale so it's a big deal but from a consumer standpoint that discount is completely laughable. I love cosmetic stuff in games but a $30 pricepoint for one costume is ridiculous.

Paying the cost of an entirely separate game for a vanity piece in a video game is ridiculous.