Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

i'm gunna be honest, i love watching bads mash dps over and over

it's good to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Its me im the worst street fighter

cams
Mar 28, 2003

NecroMonster posted:

i'm gunna be honest, i love watching bads mash dps over and over

it's good to me
sry my character is really bad and doesn't have a dp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPDUpcq0aqY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPC0T5TQQEs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAw6QqyODNw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fi6tB1GKP4s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2X9hO7Mh18
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udowq1j06TM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsB3jRpSpeY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79jLu8JJGZE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CmHxrCA6g4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFtME-fdFqo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNDDJZqg0zs

glad i finally got a good reason

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

please switch to the japanese laura voice, jfc man!

e: also birdie

cams
Mar 28, 2003

fozzy fosbourne posted:

this is america we speak english here build a wall make america great again

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

fozzy fosbourne posted:

How do you do this?

Also every video ending in that *bonk bonk* disconnect sound is enjoyable to me for some reason.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
have they said how big the gap between alex and guile will be because this game is basically dead to me until there's a zoning character

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

You can change it in Options -> Sound Settings -> Character Voice languages. You can change it per character

Laura's and Birdie's japanese voices are pretty sweet for reals though. Especially Laura's intro voice thingy. I think the english women voices sound kind of assy and snarly all the time. It sounds like they are taking a poo poo

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Feb 27, 2016

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Jmcrofts posted:

Starting a new tutorial series about the fundamentals of footsies. Here's part 1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYDbFJn2i_w

Thanks for the cool vids chilldog.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

why does the matchup screen always say "not ranked" but as soon as the game starts it knows your rank? why does that screen not have access to the data? c'mon capcom

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

cams posted:

sry my character is really bad and doesn't have a dp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udowq1j06TM

glad i finally got a good reason

lmao Laura can't even win a mirror.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Zand posted:

here's a better source than jmcrofts on footsies

http://sonichurricane.com/?p=691

For anyone who hasn't read it, this is really awesome and has tons of examples linked of pro matches illustrating the concepts. The full series is here: http://sonichurricane.com/?page_id=1702

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
I reserved a room for Combo Breaker just need to find a few sucker friends in real life to join me and split the bill!

Looking forward to playing SFV at it.

Also enabling fight acceptance during survival mode was the smartest thing I ever did. I can now reset any fight that goes badly by accepting an actual fight!.

Assuming i get one during the match... :smith: Still working on that part.

slev
Apr 6, 2009

That laura color is awful

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
laura has the worst colors in the game

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost
if you stop playing laura you still stop getting disconnects

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Made a vid re: Instant air legs & the mk SBK combo, hopefully helps someone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oYAvSZ4254

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Trykt posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ha1ZschLseI

Since making tutorials is the thing the cool kids do now I made a super specific one about Ryu. Not even a Ryu tutorial just an analysis of the situation off his f.HP! Please watch, maybe you'll get some ideas for your own character, or at least learn how to think about this situation if you encounter a Ryu in the wild that likes this move.

Just to echo Lemon, really liked this Trykt. Still feeling very 'eeeh' about the game in general so far, but starting to feel it a bit more now I'm just beginning to work around Crush Counters more. Ryu still feels so anemic in range, in a game where everyone is a bit, he feels especially so.

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

Shockeh posted:

Just to echo Lemon, really liked this Trykt. Still feeling very 'eeeh' about the game in general so far, but starting to feel it a bit more now I'm just beginning to work around Crush Counters more. Ryu still feels so anemic in range, in a game where everyone is a bit, he feels especially so.

Thanks! I was really hoping it came out coherent and made enough sense to get people thinking.

Something to consider regarding Ryu's range is that footsie ranged fireballs are really good in this game. They were important in SF4 but often meant eating a focus attack for full combo or an Ultra or some other such Huge Damage Thing. Since focus attacks and ultras don't exist in 5 he can get away with a lot more of them and their trait of always winning vs. any normals once released (by way of just being a projectile) becomes a lot more relevant. So yeah he doesn't have a big long range fuckoff normal like Birdie or Ken but he can beat those normals in footsies exchanges with smart fireballs. Plus the whole white life thing means you can take off pretty big chunks of life with a single fireball sometimes. Like, block stringing someone for a while and then eventually landing a fireball can actually be threatening instead of just "whatever, guess I took a medium punch's worth of damage one time". You could sometimes get that effect in SF4 when people got a little too focus-happy but the opponent had to choose to make that mistake, unlike here where you can potentially force it on them multiple times per round.

Some SF4 stuff I've had to unlearn:
-cr.mp is no longer a pressure normal, as it leads to nothing. Just looking at like frame data/hitboxes it's not bad but it doesn't fit into Ryu's gameplan anywhere except at the end of certain hit confirms/block strings.
-cr.mk is no longer a poke, do not use it as such (replace with st.mk). Treat it as a mix-up tool, it's a low that can lead into Stuff. Works nicely at the end of blockstrings, and walk forward cr.mk is still good when you're finally able to get in that range.
-Ryu works better playing aggressively than defensively, my whole mindset in match-ups now is "what can I do to make them stop pressing buttons long enough to let me go in"
-don't hold on to super, combo into it first chance you get (trying to do this has made me discover some serious execution problems/bad habits I have from SF4 since cancelling into super from various moves was something I almost never did)
-pretty much never, EVER, throw 2 fireballs in a row during neutral

Trykt fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Feb 27, 2016

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Trykt posted:

Some SF4 stuff I've had to unlearn:
-cr.mp is no longer a pressure normal, as it leads to nothing. Just looking at like frame data/hitboxes it's not bad but it doesn't fit into Ryu's gameplan anywhere except at the end of certain hit confirms/block strings.

Ken can work with cr.mp with his dash. It's really good and can go into tatsu or some other poo poo I haven't bothered with.

Sick! Thats DOPE
Aug 1, 2008

Oh sick man thats sick

Evil Canadian posted:

Made a vid re: Instant air legs & the mk SBK combo, hopefully helps someone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oYAvSZ4254

hopefully it helps somoene but i just want to add there is no deviation from what time you can press c.mk in the combo unless you had a counter hit s.mp to start, you indicated you could link the c.mk late but that is false unless there is specific poo poo they added to that link, which might be possible but i dont think so in this case. the charge start timing and when to activate bird is all there is to practice there. i still have yet to see really good chuns do it outside of the dumb alioune highlight video, i cant do it with any consistency in a match myself im sure at some point it will become necessary for the knockdown oki but aside from that you dont lose much damage doing lk bird or rh legs(10 dmg exactly). just throwing that out there for ppl who are discouraged, currently ex legs gives you the same knockdown positioning and of course is more useful from a footsie stand point.

to make things further confusing i find this combo to not be that useful in real world situations as in a huge punish, like off a jump in you would want to go for the c.rh x legs, jab x lk bird(or ex legs) combo for max damage. And when getting a clean activation combo you dont needany special tricks to do c.jab c.mk x mk bird. So the only time you will get this combo is off a cross up or dash under vs anyone decent

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
I played some actual games today and I'm 2 -1 in ranked and like 3 - 3 in casual. I've come to the conclusion i really suck lol.

I think playing survival so much is making me worse just because it teaches bad habits like using HK a lot.

Also Ryu fireballs are a pain in the rear end. I thought my vtrig let me juke them and build meter but it seems only if you hit them with the full claw it counts.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

fozzy fosbourne posted:

English Birdie is a treasure. :colbert:

Also F.A.N.G. sounds so much better in english to me, it's mostly the whackier dudes I guess.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I got really drunk and decided to play this game.

Pros: finally, finally beat survival on normal and got Chun Li's sweet red color.

Cons: somehow lost the ability to do lightning legs, even in training mode.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Correct language guide:

Japanese: Ryu, Ken, Karin, Chun, Dictator, Laura, Mika

English: Nash, Cammy, Birdie, Necalli, Claw, Rashid, Zangief, Dhalsim

Either/Or: Fang

Thank you for your time.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

bhsman posted:

Correct language guide:

Japanese: Ryu, Ken, Karin, Chun, Dictator, Laura, Mika

English: Nash, Cammy, Birdie, Necalli, Claw, Rashid, Zangief, Dhalsim

Either/Or: Fang

Thank you for your time.

I think this is mostly correct, but I think Ken should speak English, and Bison could go either way. I generally would keep Mika Japanese but I like being able to understand her hype speech.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
EDIT: Floe, as part of his "Floecharts" series (which I would recommend watching if you're a newcomer), also went over Footsies recently.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I think this is mostly correct, but I think Ken should speak English, and Bison could go either way. I generally would keep Mika Japanese but I like being able to understand her hype speech.

I don't mind Ken's VA (Reuben Langdon?) and even appreciate that he tried to make the "Hadouken!" clip sound similar to ST's Ken, but I just like the Japanese VA's voice better (not to mention in the SFxT trailers, Ken speaks Japanese, so meh :shrug:).

It feels weird to me that Bison is the only one in Shadaloo speaking Japanese, from my perspective, but I can't deny Norio. :v:

bhsman fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Feb 27, 2016

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Sick! Thats DOPE posted:

to make things further confusing i find this combo to not be that useful in real world situations as in a huge punish, like off a jump in you would want to go for the c.rh x legs, jab x lk bird(or ex legs) combo for max damage. And when getting a clean activation combo you dont needany special tricks to do c.jab c.mk x mk bird. So the only time you will get this combo is off a cross up or dash under vs anyone decent

It's her best hit-confirm combo and any situation you can toss out the cr.jab is when it can be used, more than just a cross up or dash under. It sucks that its so hard for the majority of people but don't discount its effectiveness, its incredibly useful.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Trykt posted:

-cr.mk is no longer a poke, do not use it as such (replace with st.mk).

This game is disgusting to me

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
This is the first Street Fighter I really got into since the mid-90s (I think I briefly had 4 but traded it back), I really missed this in my life. Is Rashid a new character or something? I always gravitate towards fast, flippy guys like him but in this game most of the casual players seem to have no clue how to defend against him.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Feb 27, 2016

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I can't do Karin in japanese either honestly, she just loses so much of the pompous rear end in a top hat in her voice, at least it feels that way and if that's so then what's the point.

Illinois Smith posted:

Is Rashid a new character or something? I always gravitate towards fast, flippy guys like him but in this game most of the casual players seem to have no clue how to defend against him.

He sure is, same deal for Necalli, Fang and I guess if you wanna take it that way, Nash.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Feb 27, 2016

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
i'M GOING TO LET YOU GUYS IN ON A SECRET whoops capslocks.

Every character seems to haveo ne move they can do over and over to cheese out survival mode.

For vega you can do the inazuma drop on everyone even laura. Although it takes absolute perfection and I still havent beaten it doing it with him. The rest of his moves dont work :(

For Ken its the easiest to spam shoryuken literally DP over and over and over and over and you cannot fail. YOu can beat hell mode doing it.

IDK if the same is for Ryu on that.

I'd wager that for bison its just spinning kick over and over.

FOr some reason if you want colors.

But yeah vega is hosed because he has no corner wakeup tech.

Yardbomb posted:

I can't do Karin in japanese either honestly, she just loses so much of the pompous

I can't do cammy or zangief in Japanese cause they dont sound english / russian enough. Birdie sounds really phoned in in english so its just so much easier to go with japanese where he sounds like a pig kind of.

Illinois Smith posted:

This is the first Street Fighter I really got into since the mid-90s (I think I briefly had 4 but traded it back), I really missed this in my life. Is Rashid a new character or something? I always gravitate towards fast, flippy guys like him but in this game most of the casual players seem to have no clue how to defend against him.

Yup hes new to SFV!

Japanese vega sounds so superior and sadistic compared to English vega. Also FANG in japanese says "Vega sama!" which amkes me go yes Im vega sama! whenever i beat him evne though he means tyrant :(

Also Tyrant is Wakamoto in Japanese you cant go wrong there.

Microwaves Mom fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Feb 27, 2016

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

Microwaves Mom posted:

i'M GOING TO LET YOU GUYS IN ON A SECRET whoops capslocks.

Every character seems to haveo ne move they can do over and over to cheese out survival mode.

For vega you can do the inazuma drop on everyone even laura. Although it takes absolute perfection and I still havent beaten it doing it with him. The rest of his moves dont work :(

For Ken its the easiest to spam shoryuken literally DP over and over and over and over and you cannot fail. YOu can beat hell mode doing it.

IDK if the same is for Ryu on that.

I'd wager that for bison its just spinning kick over and over.

FOr some reason if you want colors.

But yeah vega is hosed because he has no corner wakeup tech.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Somehow I'm on a 13 game win streak (would have been 14 if not for a rage quitter) and I have no idea how this is happening. Did everyone else at my skill level move up to silver already? Is the matchmaking hosed up in some way that makes it only give me terrible opponents?

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

I give a poo poo.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

People who give a poo poo about colors might care a little..... might

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
What do you guys use to record matches while on PC?

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
OBS is the go-to recommendation for free recording

Electromax
May 6, 2007
English voices for all

I can only unlock the easy color for zangief, survival just takes too drat long and I've lost on match 29 twice. Hope I'm not missing anything amazing, purple pants seems pretty good anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Electromax posted:

English voices for all

I can only unlock the easy color for zangief, survival just takes too drat long and I've lost on match 29 twice. Hope I'm not missing anything amazing, purple pants seems pretty good anyway.

Yeah I have tried and failed twice on level 30 for Zangief survival normal. I thought he was the guy that I wanted to learn street fighter with but I am finding even just playing casual matches that anyone with common sense just keeps me at range. I cannot close down on the enemy well enough to inflict enough damage. As the round goes on I get more frustrated and take stupid risks and am quickly punished. Maybe I need to pick a more generic fighter to get some of the basic stuff down with.

edit- Also I am going out to find a Hori Fighting Pad thing. I am pretty sure Hori is Japanese so hopefully a local electronics shop has something because it takes forever to get something sent to Japan from the US.

Hekk fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Feb 27, 2016