Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Yeah, that likely won't change unless Nintendo starts selling these things as standalone systems and not in these game bundles. The lack of accessories available in stores doesn't bother me since i don't use any of that stuff, but it sounds like a right pain in the rear end for everyone that does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Variable_H posted:

I've been waiting for this moment since this thing was announced.

System transfer done, Zelda cover plates installed, Red & Blue games and themes downloaded. :yoshi:

Installing Zelda cover plates instead of the :krad: Pokemon Blue or Red ones... does not compute.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Agrias120 posted:

Installing Zelda cover plates instead of the :krad: Pokemon Blue or Red ones... does not compute.

I just hate the white hinges, where the style at.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Agrias120 posted:

I'll switch between them. I bought Zelda plates though, so by god I'm gonna at least use them a little bit.

I really only bought the Zelda plates because I was worried the pokemon ones would be glossy, and that's my biggest beef with the N3DS XL.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Variable_H posted:

I'll switch between them. I bought Zelda plates though, so by god I'm gonna at least use them a little bit.

I really only bought the Zelda plates because I was worried the pokemon ones would be glossy, and that's my biggest beef with the N3DS XL.
I'm just giving ya a hard time. I'm so tempted by the Pokemon n3DS, congrats on picking one up!

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Variable_H posted:

Yeah, that likely won't change unless Nintendo starts selling these things as standalone systems and not in these game bundles. The lack of accessories available in stores doesn't bother me since i don't use any of that stuff, but it sounds like a right pain in the rear end for everyone that does.

I've just heard a lot of talk that the coverplates are very scratch-happy, and I'd rather not ruin them keeping them in my pocket if I can help it. I'm not asking for the full run or anything, but throwing people a couple little bones while buying a "collectors" system sure would be nice.

Oh well, it'll survive a few days.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Agrias120 posted:

I'm just giving ya a hard time. I'm so tempted by the Pokemon n3DS, congrats on picking one up!

If you decide to go try finding one I wish you luck. My gamestop here only got the 6 that people had preordered, so anyone wanting to just buy one is SoL unless someone with a preorder doesn't pick theirs up in the next 7 days.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Vegastar posted:

The thing I think I hate the most about this release is that I cannot find a single goddamn regular n3ds accessory in any store. No screen protectors, no pocket cases, not even a goddamn TPU clear cover. Gotta order everything from ebay or play-asia.

Nintendo hosed up in this regard. There's some brand (Illumishield I think?) that sells N3DS screen protectors on Amazon for like $7 and I highly recommend them. Any soft case made for the XL still fits the smaller model well enough.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

enojy posted:

Nintendo hosed up in this regard. There's some brand (Illumishield I think?) that sells N3DS screen protectors on Amazon for like $7 and I highly recommend them. Any soft case made for the XL still fits the smaller model well enough.

Play-Asia has hori n3ds ones for like, 6 bucks a piece as well. I just grabbed a couple sets for Oyster and I.

http://m.play-asia.com/standard-film-for-new-3ds/13/70876t

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Kin posted:

Kinda crossposting from the Bravely Second thread, but is there a way to consistently trigger a streetpass hit between two 3DS'?

The 3DS only pings for streetpasses every 30 seconds or so, in order to preserve battery, so just put them near each other and wait a bit.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Do streetpass hits only happen when the device is in sleep mode?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dr Cheeto posted:

No, you can sometimes see the green light flash when you're using it.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Dr Cheeto posted:

Strange Quark posted:

No, you can sometimes see the green light flash when you're using it.

Anytime it's in sleep mode or playing 3DS software. You will not however get streetpass hits while playing in DS mode and other older software like DSIWare.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

My wife loves Animal Crossing and Style Savvy and didn't like Harvest Moon at all. She doesn't want to bother with online features.

What kind of single player stuff could she could out of Tomodachi Life and/or Fantasy Life?

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Anytime it's in sleep mode or playing 3DS software. You will not however get streetpass hits while playing in DS mode and other older software like DSIWare.

Also no Streetpass while Ocarina of Time is running.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Fumaofthelake posted:

My wife loves Animal Crossing and Style Savvy and didn't like Harvest Moon at all.

just out of curiosity, which one?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Fumaofthelake posted:

My wife loves Animal Crossing and Style Savvy and didn't like Harvest Moon at all. She doesn't want to bother with online features.

What kind of single player stuff could she could out of Tomodachi Life and/or Fantasy Life?

She probably won't like Fantasy Life but Tomodachi Life sounds more like her style. I believe there's a demo on the eShop that even transfers to the full version if you guys end up getting it.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Well, couldn't wait for Amazon, so I looked around locally. Turns out there was a nearby Target that had one left.

Now the question of what do I do with my Amazon order? Keep it and sell it or just cancel it. I don't mind holding onto it if someone here wants to buy it from me at cost (after I make a SA-Mart thread first of course).

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Well, couldn't wait for Amazon, so I looked around locally. Turns out there was a nearby Target that had one left.

Now the question of what do I do with my Amazon order? Keep it and sell it or just cancel it. I don't mind holding onto it if someone here wants to buy it from me at cost (after I make a SA-Mart thread first of course).

Nice! I was starting to think I was the only one in here that was buying one. I really like it over the XL so far.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Kin posted:

From what i've found it's one every 8 hours, but i'm still trying to get them to detect eachother for the first time.

In addition to what everyone else said, have you cleaned out the street pass gate on both systems? My ex-boyfriend never remembered to clean out his, so our systems wouldn't detect. Its a max of 10 people, by the way.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

The Colonel posted:

just out of curiosity, which one?

I believe it was A New Beginning. She doesn't like having to worry about crop management though so I doubt she would like any.

SeANMcBAY posted:

She probably won't like Fantasy Life but Tomodachi Life sounds more like her style. I believe there's a demo on the eShop that even transfers to the full version if you guys end up getting it.

Cool thanks.

Thom ZombieForm
Oct 29, 2010

I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
The last Pokemon I played was red / blue in gba days. I heard there might be one coming soon, do I wait for it or buy one of the other 30? (Sorry don't know poo poo about pokeman I want to catch them all tho)

pizza valentine
Sep 19, 2007

DON'T FAKE THE FUNK
Grimey Drawer

Thom ZombieForm posted:

The last Pokemon I played was red / blue in gba days. I heard there might be one coming soon, do I wait for it or buy one of the other 30? (Sorry don't know poo poo about pokeman I want to catch them all tho)

Buy X or Y now and if you really love it buy Sun or Moon when they come out.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

pizza valentine posted:

Buy X or Y now and if you really love it buy Sun or Moon when they come out.

This. There's no plot to catch up on; technically all the main series games are on the same timeline but outside of throwaway NPC dialogue, it never comes up. The only thing is that starting with newer games makes it harder to play ones from older generations if you want to due to game mechanic changes over time. But there's really no reason to start early if you just want to get a feel for where the series is now.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I bought X and I think it's helping me get back into Pokemon again :unsmith:

At least between the Pokemon20 thing yesterday and watching some of the movies and just feeling all nostalgic I'm turning around on the games again.

I look forward to Sun and Moon.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

They could have totally put out X/Y this year and it would have been the perfect 20th anniversary game, cause it is a total 90s kid nostalgia trip more so than any other game they've made. Like from the catch tables strongly favoring classic pokes from the very beginning, to getting your hands on classic starters, to just the basic concept of mega evolution as a system to make your favorite guys go super saiyan. I don't care about pokemon that much but X/Y hit me in a really good way compared to either B/W or ORAS

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Is X/Y really, legitimately better than AS/OR? I saw a bunch of mixed opinions on which was better for returning players who played R/B/Y.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I was always told X and Y were better for people who fell off from the games and wanted something new to get into.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I definitely think so. ORAS might be better if you're into the competitive stuff, and it has more of a postgame, but if you just want to play through the story and catch some recognizable pokemon you'll be nostalgic about, X/Y is the one.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Skeezy posted:

I was always told X and Y were better for people who fell off from the games and wanted something new to get into.

This is right. I hadn't played any games since Crystal, and I really, really liked X/Y and feel pretty bored with OR/AS. To the point that I haven't finished OR and I've had it for months.

LoveBoatCaptain
Aug 26, 2008

Celebrate as all our past ways wither, lead the way to an age of light

triple sulk posted:

Is X/Y really, legitimately better than AS/OR? I saw a bunch of mixed opinions on which was better for returning players who played R/B/Y.

They're both really good games and arguing about which one is legitimately better is pretty pointless, not just because people have different opinions, but also because they're close enough that you wouldn't cry yourself to sleep over it if you did get the "wrong" one.

e: Looks like I'm wrong.

LoveBoatCaptain fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Feb 28, 2016

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Apparently Y is on sale for $29 at Target. In some ways I'd kinda prefer a digital copy but that's not bad to save ten bucks. Majora's Mask, A Link Between Worlds, and Triforce Heroes are the same price at Best Buy as well.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

XY have a lot of neat quality of life features, but the game utterly bored me. I hated having to run around with those stupid kids, the story was a huge step down from BW, and it had zero post-game. Plus, I didn't care for XY's new crop of Pokemon.

Black and White's approach of not showing any previous Pokemon until you beat the story was bold. It really did feel like a whole new experience for veterans of the series. And, it it introduced N, who was a pretty unique and memorable rival/antagonist. It felt a lot more epic compared to XY's railroady story.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Detective No. 27 posted:

XY have a lot of neat quality of life features, but the game utterly bored me. I hated having to run around with those stupid kids, the story was a huge step down from BW, and it had zero post-game. Plus, I didn't care for XY's new crop of Pokemon.

Black and White's approach of not showing any previous Pokemon until you beat the story was bold. It really did feel like a whole new experience for veterans of the series. And, it it introduced N, who was a pretty unique and memorable rival/antagonist. It felt a lot more epic compared to XY's railroady story.

I would love to keep seeing more QOL improvements on endgame. I love putting together teams, but the effort to get good stats and natures, even with the new breeding items/rules, usually discouraged me from ever bothering to put them together. Love collecting, love playing, hate breeding. Would have enjoyed XY and ORAS more with Pokesav, if only to create legal mons. Still psyched for a playthrough of Sun/Moon. Not sure if I can do RBY on 3DS though after how many times I've played through Fire Red.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
OR/AS doesn't have any of the trainer dress-up stuff from X/Y so it's objectively worse

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

The rear end Stooge posted:

OR/AS doesn't have any of the trainer dress-up stuff from X/Y so it's objectively worse

Otoh, XY don't have secret bases - probably still my favorite Pokemon feature ever

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
The introduction video I made in XY was siiiick

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Nephzinho posted:

I would love to keep seeing more QOL improvements on endgame. I love putting together teams, but the effort to get good stats and natures, even with the new breeding items/rules, usually discouraged me from ever bothering to put them together. Love collecting, love playing, hate breeding. Would have enjoyed XY and ORAS more with Pokesav, if only to create legal mons. Still psyched for a playthrough of Sun/Moon. Not sure if I can do RBY on 3DS though after how many times I've played through Fire Red.

I literally do not understand any of the team building stat poo poo. I was okay with what was in Gold and Crystal, but when I picked up X/Y and saw people were really into stat numbers and natures and poo poo for building times I just got overwhelmed, made an RBY team and just played it how I always used to (with my just favorite 'mons). It's a lot more complicated now than it was when I was a kid, and I don't get any of it, and it makes me wonder how kids just getting into Pokemon understand a lot of it.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Variable_H posted:

I literally do not understand any of the team building stat poo poo. I was okay with what was in Gold and Crystal, but when I picked up X/Y and saw people were really into stat numbers and natures and poo poo for building times I just got overwhelmed, made an RBY team and just played it how I always used to (with my just favorite 'mons). It's a lot more complicated now than it was when I was a kid, and I don't get any of it, and it makes me wonder how kids just getting into Pokemon understand a lot of it.

You don't have to do any of those things to enjoy the game it seems. I don't really know how those things work but so far X is really fun just running around collecting what is cool and/or cute and not min maxing or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Breeding for specific natures or perfect IVs, EV training, etc are all completely unnecessary for playing through the games themselves, and even for casual battling. Only the Battle Frontier post-game stuff or competitive battling requires that sort of dedication to numbers.