Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

its japanese, you will almost definitely see some there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

Yeah I have tried and failed twice on level 30 for Zangief survival normal. I thought he was the guy that I wanted to learn street fighter with but I am finding even just playing casual matches that anyone with common sense just keeps me at range. I cannot close down on the enemy well enough to inflict enough damage. As the round goes on I get more frustrated and take stupid risks and am quickly punished. Maybe I need to pick a more generic fighter to get some of the basic stuff down with.

edit- Also I am going out to find a Hori Fighting Pad thing. I am pretty sure Hori is Japanese so hopefully a local electronics shop has something because it takes forever to get something sent to Japan from the US.

I've got no practical advice for you, but maybe something from snake eyes' stream would be helpful. His last broadcast link: http://www.twitch.tv/snake_eyez_/v/51042340

I think on some of the hard match-ups he basically doesn't try to pressure until he has v-trigger, and then combos that and his EX bars to burst down the person when he catches them.

Okita
Aug 31, 2004
King of toilets.

Real hurthling! posted:

why does the matchup screen always say "not ranked" but as soon as the game starts it knows your rank? why does that screen not have access to the data? c'mon capcom

If I had to make a wild uneducated guess as to what happens during an online match, it probably goes something like this:

1) Match is found
2) Look up player's data from servers while loading and establishing connection between them (the player data lookup part is probably rate limited so their servers don't poo poo the bed so hard, hence the no data sometimes)
3) Connection is made, each player sends their own info to the other, so they can see each other's name/rank/etc during the match
4) Match finished, match data is uploaded (possibly each player uploads half/part of the replay and it gets recombined on the server; If both players uploaded a full copy of the replay it's doubling the bandwidth demand on the server, more bedshitting, etc)
The "match failed to upload" error probably happens when this part hits some kind of server rate limiting or one or both players have issues with the connection

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I just screwed myself out of my best hard survival run ever because I mashed option and it canceled the fight request :cry:

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Anybody else watching Winter Brawl? The brackets are supposed to start any minute now.

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

deadly_pudding posted:

Anybody else watching Winter Brawl? The brackets are supposed to start any minute now.

I'm watching idly. And Winter Brawl is sponsored by some vape company. What a meeting of subcultures.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

SteamCo has been sponsoring FGC players (e.g. Sanford, Yipes) for a while now, they're cool and good

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Hydrocodone posted:

I'm watching idly. And Winter Brawl is sponsored by some vape company. What a meeting of subcultures.

Their advertising is really gross (one splash screen was just a giant loving close-up of Yipes' face as he was surrounded in water vapor) but in all honesty Steam Co's products are actually really good

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Yardbomb posted:

English Birdie is a treasure. :colbert:

Also F.A.N.G. sounds so much better in english to me, it's mostly the whackier dudes I guess.

Listen to the noise Japanese birdie makes when he flicks a booger and tell me that isn't the S tier of voices

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

I just noticed they've got USFIV as well. I don't care much who wins, but I'm excited to see some of that tomorrow because I played so little and so long ago that I don't remember a majority of the differences between it and 5.

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013
I had a dream last night where my friend (who is also Pomp's Romanian Skullgirls buddy) discovered a glitch in Street Fighter EX that cut Guile's charge timer by 18 frames. He used this to gently caress people up with walkup st. Jab xx Sonic Boom hit confirmed into cr. Fierce xx Flash Kick. Where I'm going with this is I can't wait for Rushdown Guile in Street Fighter V

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

inthesto posted:

Their advertising is really gross (one splash screen was just a giant loving close-up of Yipes' face as he was surrounded in water vapor) but in all honesty Steam Co's products are actually really good

dont play footsies with cancer

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Burn meter not tobacco

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

dangerdoom volvo posted:

dont play footsies with cancer

AnonSpore posted:

Burn meter not tobacco

slev
Apr 6, 2009

Watching the winter brawl stream I can already tell the training stage theme is going to get real annoying

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

http://www.twitch.tv/teamsp00ky

Great sets going on now at Twitch.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Spooky is offline guess I just missed it.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Andarel posted:

Spooky is offline guess I just missed it.

Hit refresh, it's still on.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
And SanicFox is steppin up! Crossin my fingers I get to watch him get wrecked.

Course he's playin fang

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

Yeah I have tried and failed twice on level 30 for Zangief survival normal. I thought he was the guy that I wanted to learn street fighter with but I am finding even just playing casual matches that anyone with common sense just keeps me at range. I cannot close down on the enemy well enough to inflict enough damage. As the round goes on I get more frustrated and take stupid risks and am quickly punished. Maybe I need to pick a more generic fighter to get some of the basic stuff down with.

edit- Also I am going out to find a Hori Fighting Pad thing. I am pretty sure Hori is Japanese so hopefully a local electronics shop has something because it takes forever to get something sent to Japan from the US.

The Fighting Commander 4 is the one you want.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

Zangief is a completely different playstyle from the rest of the cast - You need immense patience to succeed with him. He is fun and good but try varying it up with other characters when you're starting out, you'll learn more about the game and also have more fun.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

teh_Broseph posted:

And SanicFox is steppin up! Crossin my fingers I get to watch him get wrecked.

Course he's playin fang

Kind of hoping Sonic Fox takes the whole tourney

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

FanaticalMilk posted:

The Fighting Commander 4 is the one you want.
I want this thing as well, but will the PS4 one work on PC as well?

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Bisse posted:

I want this thing as well, but will the PS4 one work on PC as well?

It works pretty well for me. I haven't run into anything it won't work with, although sometimes you have to set it to PS3 mode instead of PS4 to get it to work or vice versa.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
Hard mode survival is a 39-1 matchup in my favor :smith:

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
Im not sure the guy who said dash up normals are the name of the game now was all that wrong anymore

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Double Bill posted:

SteamCo has been sponsoring FGC players (e.g. Sanford, Yipes) for a while now, they're cool and good

i know the owner (hes in my local group in CT) and he's a really cool dude who is an og fgc

him sponsoring sanford was awesome for the group, because suddenly all the nyc people showed up for our tournies and its a good thing, the scene in CT is 100% reliant on some people crossing the ri/ma/ny borders to play with us

except smash since those fuckers travel anywhere at any time for anything tugging a CRT tv behind them

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

capcom came out and said they are working on fixing rage quits and will fix the game soon but starting next week they will take action against the worst offenders even before the game is fixed. they need video evidence on youtube or twitch archive to punish people and they say it will be severe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KJbrI7K6w8

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

On tips for cheesing through Normal Survival, anything for Chun-Li? I've lost on fight 29 or 30 numerous times (Necalli and Bison).

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Real hurthling! posted:

capcom came out and said they are working on fixing rage quits and will fix the game soon but starting next week they will take action against the worst offenders even before the game is fixed. they need video evidence on youtube or twitch archive to punish people and they say it will be severe

-1 Fight Money per disconnect.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Mattavist posted:

-1 Fight Money per disconnect.

Costumes colors get re-locked

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

I can't be the only one thinking it's real easy to edit in the rage quit error screen at the end of any match.

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

dangerdoom volvo posted:

Im not sure the guy who said dash up normals are the name of the game now was all that wrong anymore

I'm not familiar with who said this or when but this is definitely a conclusion I'm coming to on my own

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

If you have trouble finding it locally, e: nevermind, that's the old PS3 one, ignore me

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Fellblade posted:

I can't be the only one thinking it's real easy to edit in the rage quit error screen at the end of any match.

lolol should be a fun week

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Costumes colors get re-locked

Beat hard survival every time you want to fight online

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

Does SFIV-style plinking literally not work or is it just far less worth it to stretch 3-frame windows to 4? And some notes I read said input windows are increased by "2f either direction," but isn't it just 2f before? Either way sounds like it'd be 5-frame windows.

It's still a bit hard to separate notes people made in beta from release stuff when googling.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

hiddenriverninja posted:

Beat hard survival every time you want to fight online

beat tas-bot in a first to 10 to rejoin matchmaking queue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Trykt posted:

I'm not familiar with who said this or when but this is definitely a conclusion I'm coming to on my own
i tend to think it is a byproduct of the changes to throw range. also what causes the corner shimmy game to be so strong, which i love.